Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

from Pakse to Champasak, Champasak to Don Khon ?

Posted by gromi1705 on 15/7/2008 at 21:11

How to get from Pakse to Champasak? Is it possible to leave the same morning when arriving by plane from Vientiane (November)? How long does it take? How much is it approx.? How to get from Champasak to Don Khon? How long does it take? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,200 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by scomoore1 on 21/7/2008 at 03:18

places to stay

Posted by paulspad2002 on 13/7/2008 at 23:56

hey im doing a trip to laos in august and im staying at luang prabang and unfortunately huey xai due to the late slow boat arrivals at the border...... can you please list where u stayed, in LP and huey xai and also pakbeng as im doing the up river trip from LP to thai border.....costs and review if possible as i have no idea where to stay but would like somewhere on mekong in LP close to town..cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,919 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by paulspad2002 on 16/7/2008 at 21:59

a cool place to stay in Luang Prabang and also dirt bike trekking in Laos?

Posted by rapunzel on 24/6/2008 at 15:49

hey, i'm in laos at the end of next week, first stop Luang prabang. I want a cool place to stay, where there are travellers who are into it all, ie -- not tourists. i prefer to pay budget, but the high end of budget to moderate is good if it means need clean facilities -- even if shared. any suggestions? travellers atmosphere is what i am after. also, I want to go trekking and dirt biking, anyone done it, or keen to do it in july? I will be in loas for at least 3 weeks. I'm looking fo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,747 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by paulspad2002 on 16/7/2008 at 21:40

Vientiane to Thailand

Posted by steffanmathias on 11/7/2008 at 01:04

I was just wondering if anyone had done a route from Vientianne to Thailand, and if so, what did you do? Ta Steff ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,819 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by fondo on 16/7/2008 at 16:26

Vietnam Airline Ticket: is there a way to buy tickets for local price outsinde Vietnam?

Posted by gromi1705 on 14/7/2008 at 15:20

Anybody have an idea is this is possible? I am asking as the price for a ticket seems a lot cheaper when buying in Vietnam. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,943 times, with no replies.

Luang Prabang or Vietienne?

Posted by Brisbod on 9/6/2008 at 17:35

We are spending 3 weeks in Asia in October starting in Kuala Lumpur, flying to Phnom Penh, bus to Siem Reap and we then want to fly to either Luang Prabang or Vietienne for a few days before flying to Chiang Mai, then Bangkok. As our time is limited, we can only choose either LP or Vietienne. Which is recommended? Have read info about an elephant lodge in LP which sounds quite appealing, or would we be better to leave this sort of thing to Chiang Mai? Any suggestions would be greatly appreci ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,943 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by steffanmathias on 14/7/2008 at 14:08

Travel companion wanted - North Laos - October - November 2008

Posted by queanbeyan on 22/6/2008 at 08:13

Hi I am a 44 year old male from Canberra Australia and I will be travelling solo in North Laos from October 7 to November 4 2008. I speak Thai and Lao (not fluent but 20 years experience so quite reasonable). I have been to Laos a few times before and I know my way around but I would like to find some people to travel with (male/female any age is OK). I plan to go by boat from Huay Xai to LPB and then from LPB to the main areas in North Laos. After that I will go south to Vientiene and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,698 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by queanbeyan on 11/7/2008 at 11:49

Laos Itinerary

Posted by CJHorn85 on 12/5/2008 at 20:16

Hey all, I will be travelling to SEA from mid-July to mid September (just under 2 1/2 months). I have posted on Lonely Planet forums, but this site appears to be the best of the best when it comes to SEA, so I thought I would try and get some opinions on here as well. Since this is the Laos destination part, I thought I would stick to that, and post my itinerary up for the other countries in the relevant sections. I have a very general itinerary, since my time is limited here, but the idea ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,925 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by steffanmathias on 11/7/2008 at 00:38

Southern Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia itineray - Have you done it???

Posted by avyanakos on 27/6/2008 at 09:13

So I quit my job Monday...booked plane tickets today....and I leave in a week for SE Asia. Spontaneous travel at its best. The current preoccupation as I sift through all the travel info to nail down how much advance planning I really need to do. I'm using the "suggested itinerary" for southern laos/vietnam/cambodia as a loose guide. Has anyone done this romp specifically? How much planning is required to do this or will I be fine if I wing it? Ideas/suggestions PLEASE! Also, what's the deal wi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,577 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by smartso on 1/7/2008 at 21:15

Luang Prabang- pre booked tour or DIY when I get there?

Posted by metropical on 23/6/2008 at 11:28

I can either book a tour with flights and hotels or just book the flights and hotels myself and DIY the rest when I get there. I have no Lao language ability. Would I be better off pre-booking or would I be successful DIY? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,583 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by SBE on 23/6/2008 at 22:15

Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by slow boat

Posted by Yamahuh on 9/11/2007 at 09:37

We are planning on going from Chiang Mai, Thailand to Huay Xai, Laos and from there to Luang Prabang by slow boat. We have booked a room in LP but I'm not sure if I can catch the boat at any time of the day or not. Is it feasible to expect to be able to arrive in Huay Xai from Chiang Mai and catch a boat the same day so that we can arrive in LP the next day? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 40,392 times, with 43 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 23/6/2008 at 17:49

rubiemoon

Posted by rubiemoon on 20/6/2008 at 16:08

has anyone travelled with Geckos tours? I plan on doing some solo travel in Thailand before joining a Geckos tour through Laos. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,550 times, with no replies.

Luang prabang thai islands

Posted by gijsvanpelt on 10/6/2008 at 17:33

Hello. leaving for se asia for about 4 weeks in two weeks, and planned a route where Laos and thailand are included. Plan is first two days bangkok, have been before so keep it short this time. Then fly 2 chiang rai and from there straight to thai lao border. From there via north laos in abt 4 days to luang prabang. and stay there for 4-5 days. but also wanna go to koh tao in thailand, and is quite a ride, how about flying????? How much would it cost to get from Luang prabang to BKK ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,513 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/6/2008 at 05:39

Allergies

Posted by gkman on 7/6/2008 at 01:08

Hey everyone, So in about 1 month I should be well on my way to Laos, but I've been hearing some worrysome things about the food. I have a severe allergy to fish (swelling of the throat and hives etc...) which if bad enough can be fatal. Now I have heard all about how fish sauce is in EVERYTHING, and vegetarian meals can be a bit difficult, but will I experience many problems if I bring around a card of some type in writing how allergic I am? And also in general, do the vegetarian dishes a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,127 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by somsai on 19/6/2008 at 06:37

3 or 4 days in LP

Posted by metropical on 9/6/2008 at 21:12

here's what I'm looking as possibilities to cover. Obviously I can't cover all this in the time period. Suggestions as to what to keep or toss? Thanks Night Market Wat Sene Wat Xieng Thong Wat Khili Pak Ou Caves, Kwang Si Falls Phou Si at sunrise or sunset Ban Phanom, Ban Xieng Lek Tad Sae Waterfall Ban Phanom The National Museum Central Market ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,225 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by metropical on 15/6/2008 at 21:44

Looking for travel mate to Laos

Posted by gilbert on 15/6/2008 at 17:12

I'm planning to visit Loas on 9 sept 08. I'm looking for travel mate. Any one interested? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,095 times, with no replies.

HCMC to LPQ ?

Posted by metropical on 11/6/2008 at 20:55

I can't seem to find a direct flight from HCMC to LPQ. Is that actually the case or am I looking in the wrong place? My previous tour will end in HCMC so it would be most convenient. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,503 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by emile0867 on 13/6/2008 at 22:01

Vientiane to Hanoi

Posted by alexr on 4/6/2008 at 06:19

Hi, I have planned to travel from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang then from Vientiane to Hanoi. From here i have planned to do vietnam in two weeks going down the coast and then going from Saigon to Cambodia and finally back to Bangkok. I originally thought this was the most logical route but from looking at other itinaries it appears some people do Laos then Cambodia and then Vietnam. I would probably fly from Laos to Vietnam as this seems to be the quickest route as we have such a short ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,518 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 4/6/2008 at 07:06

Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong

Posted by ade7 on 2/6/2008 at 00:24

Hi, Has anyone tried the Lonely Planet guide "Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong"? Is it any good? Im not a huge fan of travel guides as a whole, but this may be worth taking if its any good. Obviously it wont be as detailed as the individual country guides, but Im thinking it may be of use as a general reference, since I am travelling all over the region (I dont want to have to carry an individual guide for each country). Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Andy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,120 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 3/6/2008 at 21:21

Si Phan Don or Phom Phem?

Posted by Tuli on 26/5/2008 at 01:35

Hi there, we are travelling to Laos and Cambodia mid july to mid august, and we are not sure whether to go from Vientiane to si phan don and going from there to siem reap or going down direct from vientiane by plane to phom phem and then to siem reap. I know this type of questions are hard to answer, but as we don't have much time, what should I skip? si phan don or phom phem..? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,731 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by steviej on 1/6/2008 at 20:03

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page