Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos Itinerary

Posted by CJHorn85 on 12/5/2008 at 20:16

Hey all, I will be travelling to SEA from mid-July to mid September (just under 2 1/2 months). I have posted on Lonely Planet forums, but this site appears to be the best of the best when it comes to SEA, so I thought I would try and get some opinions on here as well. Since this is the Laos destination part, I thought I would stick to that, and post my itinerary up for the other countries in the relevant sections. I have a very general itinerary, since my time is limited here, but the idea ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,910 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by steffanmathias on 11/7/2008 at 00:38

Southern Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia itineray - Have you done it???

Posted by avyanakos on 27/6/2008 at 09:13

So I quit my job Monday...booked plane tickets today....and I leave in a week for SE Asia. Spontaneous travel at its best. The current preoccupation as I sift through all the travel info to nail down how much advance planning I really need to do. I'm using the "suggested itinerary" for southern laos/vietnam/cambodia as a loose guide. Has anyone done this romp specifically? How much planning is required to do this or will I be fine if I wing it? Ideas/suggestions PLEASE! Also, what's the deal wi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,566 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by smartso on 1/7/2008 at 21:15

Luang Prabang- pre booked tour or DIY when I get there?

Posted by metropical on 23/6/2008 at 11:28

I can either book a tour with flights and hotels or just book the flights and hotels myself and DIY the rest when I get there. I have no Lao language ability. Would I be better off pre-booking or would I be successful DIY? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,567 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by SBE on 23/6/2008 at 22:15

Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by slow boat

Posted by Yamahuh on 9/11/2007 at 09:37

We are planning on going from Chiang Mai, Thailand to Huay Xai, Laos and from there to Luang Prabang by slow boat. We have booked a room in LP but I'm not sure if I can catch the boat at any time of the day or not. Is it feasible to expect to be able to arrive in Huay Xai from Chiang Mai and catch a boat the same day so that we can arrive in LP the next day? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 40,301 times, with 43 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 23/6/2008 at 17:49

Posted by rubiemoon on 20/6/2008 at 16:08

has anyone travelled with Geckos tours? I plan on doing some solo travel in Thailand before joining a Geckos tour through Laos. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,541 times, with no replies.

Luang prabang thai islands

Posted by gijsvanpelt on 10/6/2008 at 17:33

Hello. leaving for se asia for about 4 weeks in two weeks, and planned a route where Laos and thailand are included. Plan is first two days bangkok, have been before so keep it short this time. Then fly 2 chiang rai and from there straight to thai lao border. From there via north laos in abt 4 days to luang prabang. and stay there for 4-5 days. but also wanna go to koh tao in thailand, and is quite a ride, how about flying????? How much would it cost to get from Luang prabang to BKK ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,503 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/6/2008 at 05:39

Posted by gkman on 7/6/2008 at 01:08

Hey everyone, So in about 1 month I should be well on my way to Laos, but I've been hearing some worrysome things about the food. I have a severe allergy to fish (swelling of the throat and hives etc...) which if bad enough can be fatal. Now I have heard all about how fish sauce is in EVERYTHING, and vegetarian meals can be a bit difficult, but will I experience many problems if I bring around a card of some type in writing how allergic I am? And also in general, do the vegetarian dishes a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,117 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by somsai on 19/6/2008 at 06:37

3 or 4 days in LP

Posted by metropical on 9/6/2008 at 21:12

here's what I'm looking as possibilities to cover. Obviously I can't cover all this in the time period. Suggestions as to what to keep or toss? Thanks Night Market Wat Sene Wat Xieng Thong Wat Khili Pak Ou Caves, Kwang Si Falls Phou Si at sunrise or sunset Ban Phanom, Ban Xieng Lek Tad Sae Waterfall Ban Phanom The National Museum Central Market ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,207 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by metropical on 15/6/2008 at 21:44

Looking for travel mate to Laos

Posted by gilbert on 15/6/2008 at 17:12

I'm planning to visit Loas on 9 sept 08. I'm looking for travel mate. Any one interested? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,089 times, with no replies.

Posted by metropical on 11/6/2008 at 20:55

I can't seem to find a direct flight from HCMC to LPQ. Is that actually the case or am I looking in the wrong place? My previous tour will end in HCMC so it would be most convenient. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,492 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by emile0867 on 13/6/2008 at 22:01

Vientiane to Hanoi

Posted by alexr on 4/6/2008 at 06:19

Hi, I have planned to travel from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang then from Vientiane to Hanoi. From here i have planned to do vietnam in two weeks going down the coast and then going from Saigon to Cambodia and finally back to Bangkok. I originally thought this was the most logical route but from looking at other itinaries it appears some people do Laos then Cambodia and then Vietnam. I would probably fly from Laos to Vietnam as this seems to be the quickest route as we have such a short ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,503 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 4/6/2008 at 07:06

Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong

Posted by ade7 on 2/6/2008 at 00:24

Hi, Has anyone tried the Lonely Planet guide "Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong"? Is it any good? Im not a huge fan of travel guides as a whole, but this may be worth taking if its any good. Obviously it wont be as detailed as the individual country guides, but Im thinking it may be of use as a general reference, since I am travelling all over the region (I dont want to have to carry an individual guide for each country). Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Andy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,108 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 3/6/2008 at 21:21

Si Phan Don or Phom Phem?

Posted by Tuli on 26/5/2008 at 01:35

Hi there, we are travelling to Laos and Cambodia mid july to mid august, and we are not sure whether to go from Vientiane to si phan don and going from there to siem reap or going down direct from vientiane by plane to phom phem and then to siem reap. I know this type of questions are hard to answer, but as we don't have much time, what should I skip? si phan don or phom phem..? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,717 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by steviej on 1/6/2008 at 20:03

From Vientiane to Bangkok by train

Posted by the_tundraman on 21/3/2008 at 14:24

Hello, Has anyone gone from Vientiane to Bangkok by train? Am looking for some useful info about how to travel from Vientiane to Bangkok by train. Would be great if i could find out what type of trains (1 day, 2 days?), how often they run (twice a day? once a day?) and how much it might cost (for different classes, if any). Most important, how many days in advance would you need to book tickets? I'd be most grateful if you have any reliable agents who do the booking for you and give you a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 29,390 times, with 26 replies. Last reply by somsai on 31/5/2008 at 03:22

Entering Laos from Thailand (Overland)

Posted by dharmakaya on 25/5/2008 at 18:23

Since I will have only about 10 days in the region(Laos&Cambo) I would need to fly a leg or 2 I reckon.. Id like to keep it to the bear minimum though. Need advise on best and fastest overland travel : From Phuket I thought Id stop in ChangMai for 2 days while heading upto Laos. Iv found that there is a train from Surat Thani which goes upto Chang Mai if I hop of to switch trains along the way (bypass Bangkok). Laos itinerary looks to be : Luang Prabhang **** Vang Viang ** Vientian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,069 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by dharmakaya on 30/5/2008 at 10:53

ATM's dispense what currency, $ or kip?

Posted by jourdin on 29/5/2008 at 14:59

I have seen conflicting stories about what ATM's dispense, kip and/or US dollars. What's the true story? Do some machines dispense two different currencies? How does one know what currency a machine dispenses? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,110 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 30/5/2008 at 09:39

Bus times Huay Xia to Luang Namtha?

Posted by emmarose on 26/5/2008 at 16:36

I am travelling from Chiang Mai to Luang Namtha and would like to do it in one day. Has anyone else done this? When do the buses leave from Huay Xia for Luang Namtha? Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,788 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 28/5/2008 at 09:11

visa advance in kip? or dollars?

Posted by emielvl on 26/5/2008 at 18:31

In lp of laos (2007) it is noted that credit card advances or in lao kip only. Is this true or is it also possible to get an advance in dolars or baht? Thanks, Emiel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,933 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by katieq2 on 28/5/2008 at 02:23

14 days - Laos and Siem Reap

Posted by thegrailer on 5/5/2008 at 11:16

First off, I’d am thrilled to find such a great site. We are planning to Visit Siem Reap and as much of Laos as possible in 14 days on the ground. Preferably we would spend a month but I only wish for that much time off. I’ve researched and reviewed books, blogs and this site but think we still need some outside advice. Here’s our plan for the 2nd half of July: Arrive BKK from JFK and fly on to Vientiane the same night. Spend ~2 days in VTE. Fly from VTE to Luang Prabang and spend ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,524 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by thegrailer on 24/5/2008 at 22:14

flights to and from Phonsavan

Posted by deb on 23/5/2008 at 22:04

Cant seem to find flights from Luang Prabang to Phonsavan or Phonsavan to Vientiane Saw on a website for $35/$44 but there is no info on what airline or where to book ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,514 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by deb on 24/5/2008 at 10:33

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page