Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

overland from laos to vietnam

Posted by annalouisas on 19/12/2007 at 19:16

i'm looking for information on traveling from: the south of Laos (pakse or savannakhet?) to the north of Vietnam, let's say a city north of Huè (Dong Ha?) -what is the best way to do this? -how much time does one need? -what kind of transportation is available? -which is the bordercrossing and what do you need to enter Vietnam?(can we get the visa at the crossing?) -which is a good travel-agency to arrange for this trip? (in either savann. or pakse) hope i'm not asking 4 2 much... ;- ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,266 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 6/1/2008 at 06:30

Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Siam Reap Transit

Posted by KPasicznyk on 18/12/2007 at 14:27

Hello! I'm planning my first trip to SEA (13 days, tentatively scheduled for BKK - Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Siam Reap - BKK) and after doing a ton of research I have a few questions I'm hoping the more experienced folks out there can help out with: 1.) Has anyone actually taken the pickup-truck / kayaking organized trip from Vang Vieng - Vientiane that's mentioned in the VV Sights & Attractions page? If so, where in town should I book? Anything I should be aware of before ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,509 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 30/12/2007 at 14:58

8 - 9 days Travel Itenery in Loas

Posted by liamjobrien on 1/11/2007 at 17:13

Hi Guys, I was wondering could you help me, I'm arriving in Vientiane on the 9th of Nov 2007 and I have to be back in Udon Thani in Thailand on the 19th of Nov, so basically I have 8 days really in Loas and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do. I've heard there is a good 3 day boat trip in Loas but not sure where that is from? I also heard that there is a trip that you float down a river in a tube and there are bars along the way that pull you in for a drink, again I don' ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,178 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by shelld on 29/12/2007 at 15:35

Accomodation arrangement in March

Posted by shumium on 28/12/2007 at 14:31

My husband and I am planning to visit Luang Prabang/Vang Vieng/Vientiane in March 2008. Will there be a lot of travellers during that period? Do I have to make advance accomodation booking beforehand? We are planning to join the trekking tour in Luang Prabang and that's I don't want to book any rooms right now. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,724 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/12/2007 at 09:41

How much should a guide cost?

Posted by jesseroth on 16/12/2007 at 06:40

If I were to hire a guide on my own, to take just me & my bf on a 3-day walk through the tribal villages of Sekong, with overnight village stays, how much might I expect to pay? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,809 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by jesseroth on 17/12/2007 at 01:25

Recommended accommodation in Vientiane?

Posted by kelpeta on 21/11/2007 at 00:31

Can anyone recommend a nice, clean, preferably lower budget place to stay in Vientiane?? Looked at the travelfish suggestions, but not many have reviews... Is vientiane more of a 'stop-over' place or is it worth a couple of days visiting? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,381 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by 2face on 10/12/2007 at 09:13

Thong Bay Guest House Luang Prabang

Posted by EmjayReet on 7/12/2007 at 09:42

Hi Has anyone stayed here? We were quoted $27 for a room and just wondering if it is worth that money? Or are we better getting something half the price? Reet xx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,461 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by EmjayReet on 10/12/2007 at 05:54

The Well Beaten Path - Vientiane, Vang Viang, Louang Phabang

Posted by hooloovoo on 1/12/2007 at 14:00

Finally, I've made up my mind to go to Laos in Feb 08. Unfortunately I have too few days to spare and too many places to go, so I hope I can get some candid advice on my tentative schedule: Fri: Singapore (SG) overnight coach to Kuala Lumpur (KL) Sat: KL - Vientiane (Air Asia - arrives morning) Sun: Vientiane to Vang Viang (latest possible bus - was hoping to stay one more day at Vientiane, but from what I've read perhaps it would be a better idea to spend that extra time in Vang Viang ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,073 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by LancasterLad on 6/12/2007 at 02:14

Laos - time left on passport

Posted by jack_sam on 1/12/2007 at 16:02

I just noticed that Laos requires that you have six months left on your passport. I will have only five and one half when I plan to enter. Does anyone know if they hold strictly to this requirement? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,700 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/12/2007 at 19:02

Route 28

Posted by AirCommando on 20/11/2007 at 06:05

Headed east across Route 12 from Thakhet then south on Route 28 till it joins Route 9. Know Route 9 is a new paved road, but cannot locate any info on the status of Route 28. Van ok? Route 12 goes through the mountains across the Mekong from Nakhon Phanom. Being an old geezer I spent quite a few nights at Monty's Ice Cream Parlor on the Thai side watching the bomb drops across the river. Today I work to help the kids in the schools around Nakhon Phanom and in Laos and travel at my own ex ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,794 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/12/2007 at 14:04

Buying furniture in Vientiane

Posted by swag on 1/12/2007 at 09:38

Hi all, my wife and I will be in Vientiane mid march next year. Was wondering if anyone has had experience buying pieces of Laotian furniture there and having it shipped back to their own country.Obviously shipping and insurance is of concern. Does anyone know of any reputable traders there. Regards ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,587 times, with no replies.

Getting to the North from Huay Xai

Posted by Mi on 26/11/2007 at 23:14

I like to spend most of my 4 weeks in Northern Laos.The trekking possibilities sound fantastic. Comming from Bangkok is our best bet to bus to Chiang Rai then bus to Chiong Khong? Any suggestions on things to avoid or especially recommend would be greatly appreciated.Transport is my biggest worry. Also WHAT IS THE BEST way to get from Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha - Muang Sing - Muang Long- Pongsali. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,928 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somsai on 29/11/2007 at 10:58

March Air Travel in Laos

Posted by ozscott on 2/11/2007 at 17:37

Hi TT'ers, I'll be in Laos next March for 2.5 weeks. I have been trying to organise an Laos Discovery Air Pass with much difficulty. All the flights I want to do are with Laos Airlines (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientiane - Pakse - Siem Reap). Bangkok Airways and Siem Reap Airways don't want to know me! I have tried to contact Laos Airlines (both in Laos and regional offices) on numerous occassions by email with no response, and local travel agents (regional NSW) are clueless about terms, co ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,624 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by jesseroth on 28/11/2007 at 04:26

Fly Laos Air Vientiane to Hanoi

Posted by zaphodes on 27/11/2007 at 06:24

I sent the message below to the advertised email address and received a bounce message because the mail box is full. I guess the spammers have mad the mail not worth checking :( Can anyone help with answers? ZB I want to fly Vientiane to Hanoi around 23 or 24 December 2007 I have seen your web page http://www.laoairlines.com/airfare_new_i.html It says the fares " Effective from 31 Mar 2007 to 28 Oct 2007" It also says "1. All fare and condition are suject to change witho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,936 times, with no replies.

Transport rates: taxi, shared taxi and tuk-tuk?

Posted by Harry05 on 24/11/2007 at 23:35

Are there more or less typical rates for transport by taxi or shared taxi? Per kilometer of units of time? Is there something like a tuk-tuk in Laos? Thanx answering. Harry ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,232 times, with no replies.

Travel North to South

Posted by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 05:57

Hi TF'ers... Below is my itinerary for Laos next March (also doing Vietnam & Cambodia). I am flying Laos internally (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientianne - Pakse - Siem Reap). I know I'm on the tourist trail - but whats the itinerary look like? Day 1 Fly Hanoi / Luang Prabang Day 2-6 Luang Prabang Day 7 Fly Luang Prabang / Vientane Day 8-10 Vientiane Day 11 Fly Vientiane / Pakse Day 12 Pakse Day 13 Pakse / Don Khong (bus ride) Day 14-16 Don Khong Day 17 Don Khong / Pakse ( ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,575 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 06:44

Trekking Guide in Luang Prabang

Posted by squong on 17/11/2007 at 19:30

Anyone have suggestions for a good English speaking guide in Luang Prabang that could take us trekking and perhaps some homestays in the ethnic villages. I would prefer to hire a person rather than go through a company. (FYI, many people have recommended Green Discovery as a good company.) Thanks in advance. Spencer squong@yahoo.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,320 times, with no replies.

Visa on arrival

Posted by realalaskan on 17/11/2007 at 02:24

I have seen information online that says 30 day visa is now (as of October '07) available on arrival. Official websites still refer to 15 day visa on arrival. Can anyone provide me with first hand information? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,739 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by realalaskan on 17/11/2007 at 05:12

Trekking Location and Guide recommendation in Laos

Posted by squong on 15/10/2007 at 11:14

Hi, I'm looking at going trekking/homestay in Northern Laos and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good location off the beaten path, and a good guide (person rather than a travel company) to take us there. I think Travelfish mentioned, Phongsali and Luang Nam Tha. I'm the type of traveler with the philosophy of the farther away from the tourist crowds, the better. Thanks in advance. Spencer ~Q ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,360 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somsai on 15/11/2007 at 08:57

12 days in Laos

Posted by Aishas on 12/11/2007 at 17:50

Hi every body! I'm new here around and I had a look to some posts on travelling through Laos, since I'm planning my journey there. It would be in Feb 2008, more or less 12 days. So, there are so many things I'd like to be given advice on. 1) Is february a festival time, apart from the chinese New Year? are accomodations fully booked that time? 2) Any suggestion about Champasak? is it worthy? my idea should be to fly in to Pakse (lonely planet says it's an international airport, but I ha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,996 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Aishas on 14/11/2007 at 16:26

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page