Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Measurement in Laos

Posted by Eileen1870 on 3/10/2007 at 02:57

Can anyone tell me if Laos uses the metric or imperial measurement system? I'm putting together information for some construction volunteers and it would be helpful to know how to format it. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,708 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by marianwarren on 3/10/2007 at 15:34

Lao Airlines again

Posted by regina5 on 1/10/2007 at 01:01

Uups! What I wanted to ask: Has anyone used the Laos-airlines.com site to book tickets with Lao Airline recently? They are offering a bargain excursion pass. I read some negative things about them (a scam? an agency in Paris?), but the posts were all more than 1 year old. Thanks for any info. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,215 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by CunningMcFar on 3/10/2007 at 00:10

Lai Heua Fai Festival/ Louang Phabang

Posted by moonlight on 1/10/2007 at 15:28

Does anyone know the exact dates in 2007 for the above festival. I know it occurs in October but dont find the dates (full moon?) Is it worth to attend this festival in Louang Phagang? Thanks for your advice! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,454 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by moonlight on 2/10/2007 at 13:36

Luang Prabang, Biking & Rafting Recommendations

Posted by alexsis1 on 20/9/2007 at 03:34

We would like to do some biking and rafting, preferably with guide. Any companies/agencies you would recommend? We are also comfortable traveling independently so if you that that is a good route as well, please provide insight as to where to go, etc. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,653 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by marakusch on 2/10/2007 at 11:39

Booking flights Lao Airlines

Posted by JenDVM on 27/9/2007 at 04:54

Hello! Does anyone know if it's OK to wait to book flights after arrival in Laos? I'll be there in mid-October. If booking beforehand is advisable, what's the best way to do it? Getting lots of great info from TravelFish! Thanks, Jen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,892 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by JenDVM on 27/9/2007 at 05:34

Euros in Laos

Posted by Montevideo on 28/8/2007 at 02:38

As I would not like to change Euros into Dollars in Europe only to change them to Kip in Laos I would like to know whether Euros can be changed at an appropriate exchange rate in Laos. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,942 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by pauljaymes on 25/9/2007 at 06:12

From Luang Prabang to Hanoi (or at least vietnam)

Posted by etam on 13/9/2007 at 21:40

Hi! I've set up a nice route that takes me from bangkok to hanoi, but I still have a big question to straighten out. I intend to travel from Luang Prabang to Hanoi, without killing to much time. Does anybody have a suggestion on how I should do this? A realistic time estimate would also be of great value. Flying, although this probably means I have to get back to Vientiane, might be an option, if travelling by bus is too time consuming. But hopefully there's things to see along the bus ro ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,148 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by pauljaymes on 25/9/2007 at 06:01

Rough Guide's Laos 3rd edition reviewed

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/8/2007 at 22:53

We've just added a book review for Rough Guide's Laos 3rd. If you're planning on going to Laos and are still looking for a guide, you may find the review of interest. Our verdict? Wait for the new Lonely Planet. You can read the full review of Laos 3 here. If you've an opinion on the latest edition, please feel free to add it in here. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,292 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by callao on 21/9/2007 at 19:35

working in laos

Posted by justinblomsness on 20/9/2007 at 21:28

I'm in China, planning a trip to Laos. I taught English here for a year. What is the foreign language teaching situation in Laos? What's low pay, high pay? Are there many jobs available? Also, does anyone have suggestions for jobs for foreigners traveling to Laos? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,998 times, with no replies.

4 weeks itinerary for Laos

Posted by Harry05 on 15/9/2007 at 19:17

In january 2008 I will be travelling in Laos for about 4 weeks (after one month in Thailand). After Laos I will also visit Cambodia and Vietnam (maybe good to know if you want to give me some advice). I am a quite experienced traveller but it’s my first time in SE Asia so it’s always good to get some good and actual advice. I don’t care about luxury (and prefer atmosphere above that): a private, clean and basic room (with fan) will be fine for me. Here’s my global itinerary for Laos: ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,851 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 16/9/2007 at 09:04

Distance/Time - Border to Chiang Mai

Posted by EmjayReet on 7/9/2007 at 09:57

Hi, Now I know this info is out there somewhere but I have spent ages trying to find it unsuccessfully.... Staying in Huay Xui overnight, wanting to go to Bangkok the next day.... Can someone tell me how long I can expect to take to get to Chiang Mai? Trying to book a flight from CM to BKK and need to have a rough estimate of how long it will take to get there? Best options? Pricing? Any other info would be great at the same time! Reet xx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,069 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by EmjayReet on 7/9/2007 at 16:28

Advice Needed: Where's the best place(s) to visit in Laos?

Posted by mariamini on 18/8/2007 at 15:39

Hi, We're currently in Vietnam, looking to go into Laos very soon, for roughly a week. We've got some guide books and have read up on travelfish but was hoping perhaps people could help us on here. I'm looking for peoples recommendation of any particularly good spots we should definately go to? We've got 7-10 days to do it. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks, Maria ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,820 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by marianwarren on 29/8/2007 at 16:32

Gibbons

Posted by scootypaul on 21/11/2006 at 21:49

Has anyone been up to the gibbon experience northern loas Houayxay if so what was it like and how easy is it to get to from Vientiane Cheers Scootypaul ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,160 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by Helmet on 21/8/2007 at 23:00

Vang Vieng to Vientiane airport

Posted by grazee on 19/8/2007 at 11:48

Greetings all, I need to get from Vang Vieng to Vientaine to catch a flight leaving at 1540. On paper it seems quite doable to leave VV on the morning of the flight. Is transport on that route reliable enough to get there on time, or should I play safe and travel to Vientiane the previous day. Thanking you in anticipation Enjoy your travels, Grazee ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,858 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by exacto on 20/8/2007 at 21:40

Any festivals in August?

Posted by arundati on 26/7/2007 at 16:14

Hi guys. I'll arrive in Vien, VV and Luang in the next month. So, I'd like to ask for some information on traditional festivals/activities held in Aug. Would like to know the exact time and place. Thanks so much. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,761 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by keatlover on 15/8/2007 at 14:58

Harry Potter Book in Laos?

Posted by notacrime on 24/7/2007 at 00:14

Anyone found the new Harry Potter book in English for sale anywhere in Laos? We're in Luang Prabang and will be in Vang Viang and Vientiane over the next week. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,960 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Spaully on 3/8/2007 at 14:59

Western New Years in Laos

Posted by peachiest99 on 14/7/2007 at 16:43

I am planning to make the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang trip, via the HuayXui border over the 31st of Dec (New Years Eve) and I am wondering if this will be a problem with the border or the organising of bus/boats. Has anyone had any experience with things being closed on New Years Eve or Day? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,308 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by chanhla on 2/8/2007 at 02:00

rocket Festival

Posted by eidechse on 1/8/2007 at 20:44

Hi there, I heard about a rocket festival in the north of Laos (Muang Sing maybe) some time around November that should be really cracy, lots of monks involved and rockets, etc. Does anybody know the exact date, place and how to get there? Thanks a lot! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,200 times, with no replies.

about vietnam airlines and "indochina loop"

Posted by ketchoop on 31/7/2007 at 21:32

Hi. Searching by the net i found some advices in different agencies about something called "indochina loop" or "trans indochina". that's a kind of "pass" to connect Ha noi- vientiane- pnohm penh and ho chi minh city, with good prices ( but different in one or another agencie)...about 250US$. Do you know that?, and the important question...do you know if we could change vientiane/luang prabang and phnom penh/Siem Reap in the "pass". thanks, and cheers from Spain ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,313 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/8/2007 at 15:20

Vietnam to Laos Lao Bao

Posted by traceyspacey on 17/7/2007 at 16:35

Has anyone done this recently? Were you issued a 30 day visa on arrival? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,877 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Guernseystu on 26/7/2007 at 04:58

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page