Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

A great blog about Laos

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/6/2007 at 08:40

I think I've mentioned this blog before, but Lao Bumpkin is one of the few quality travel blogs that is focused solely on travel in Laos. Rare is it that a post doesn't leave me with a tremendous urge to pick up the pack and head straight up there. The latest post Adrift on the River (or why make clay figurines) is a great example -- talking about some of the remoter stretches of Phongsali province, and very well illustrates why you don't need a guidebook in Laos -- just wander around and yo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,792 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somsai on 16/6/2007 at 10:26

Returning home from laos.

Posted by Gorey on 31/5/2007 at 02:17

Hey there again, im off in 11 days, but im clearing up my final 'to-do' and i have two options of returning home. I have to fly to hong kong to catch my flight back home. i plan to be ending my trip in the southern part of Laos (champasak probably) I had originally planned to fly from Paske to Vientiane spend a few days there and get the train from Nong Khai to bangkok to fly to hong kong. But ive travelled around quite abit of thai trains, and the novelty has warn off and im not exactly w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,390 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ernieh on 1/6/2007 at 16:08

Vientiane: THB, USD or Kip: How much and where to exchange:

Posted by MarcTH on 28/5/2007 at 12:32

Off to Vientiane for 4 nights as of tomorrow, never been before and have no idea what ratio of THB:USD:KIP I should be carrying and if I should buy it here in Thailand or wait until in Vientiane. The embarrassing part of this first time trip to Laos is that I have lived in Chiang Mai for years! Anyway, point being that my base/starting currency is Thai Baht. Thanks in advance, Marc. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,111 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MarcTH on 29/5/2007 at 10:04

Where to go?

Posted by desertwoman on 19/5/2007 at 11:26

I'm in Viang vieng.. ( sick in the last 2 days, damn brutal food poisoning ) Planning to continue my trip to Luang Prabang tommorrow. I only have 10 days left in Laos. Where should I go? Should I skip Luang Nam Tha for my next visit? ( hopefully ) Thank you.. Somtam!! How are you? Hope you well.. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,216 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ernieh on 22/5/2007 at 20:24

Lao Airlines - frequencies on website?

Posted by syzafar on 19/5/2007 at 23:53

hi, just need a clarification: how do you translate the frequencies (days of scheduled flights) on the Lao Airlines website? for example, the website lists for BKK-LPQ flights leaving 3-5-7. Is that Wed-Fri-Sun? Or Tues-Thurs-Sat? thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,955 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Gorey on 20/5/2007 at 06:07

exchange rate

Posted by mick110971 on 15/5/2007 at 08:31

Can anyone tell me the exchange rate from baht to kip or us to kip please .Travelling to thailand then laos in a couple of weeks.The loas kip doesnt seem to be on any currency converters on the net cheers mick ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,808 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by mick110971 on 15/5/2007 at 12:33

Photos from a cycling trip through Laos...

Posted by Nicolai1976 on 4/5/2007 at 23:58

Feel free to have a look at my photo album from amazing Laos (February-March 2007) http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinamor/sets/72157600027939845/ Nicolai, Denmark www.worldtravellers.dk ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,243 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Jon_Mak_Mak on 13/5/2007 at 20:58

6hour trek for gibbon experience?

Posted by wemaybesometime on 12/5/2007 at 15:50

Hi All I'm booked to do the gibbon experience next week, but am slightly worried about the time it takes to get to/from the treehouses. Does anyone know just how bad the rain needs to be for the car not to be able to do the journey? By UK standards it's pretty rainy here in Chiang Mai, and I'm really not keen on the longer trek. Also, if anyone has done the 6hours - is it hardcore trekking or can someone of average fitness manage it? Thanks in advance! Tara ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,956 times, with no replies.

A "must do" while in Laos

Posted by quokka on 9/5/2007 at 09:40

Visit Big Brother Mouse, found in bigger towns (Luang Prabang, Luang Nam Tha, etc.) and spend a few bucks on some books. Created by Lao youths, they are intended to raise literacy - and they make perfect gifts if you visit any villages. Give them to a schoolmaster and know you have done something good. If you can afford to travel at all, you can afford this. Also keep your eye open for Red Cross posters. If a Lao needs blood, it is very expensive through normal venues; your donation throu ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,087 times, with no replies.

Book Launch Party in Luang Prabang

Posted by johnbkarenh on 8/5/2007 at 15:29

I have been volunteering at Big Brother Mouse, a Lao children's book publisher that is trying to increase the love of reading by publishing good quality books. They are planning a dinner and book launch party in Luang Prabang to celebrate the publication of Dr Dolittle, the first feature length children's book in Laos. The evening will include a traditional Laos banquet, a chance to meet the 15 year old artist, Chittakone and the opportunity to meet fellow travelers. It will be held at the Thre ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,777 times, with no replies.

What's Wrong with Peanuts in Laos?

Posted by chopin on 29/4/2007 at 19:40

Dear Moderator, In the FAQ section for Laos, I saw this entry: "How do I avoid peanuts?" I don't quite get it - what's wrong with peanuts in Laos, that we should avoid them there? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,685 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by freenote on 7/5/2007 at 15:06

Border crossing from Loei into Laos?

Posted by Gorey on 4/5/2007 at 04:29

Hi there, i've found so much valuable information on this site its completly changed my travel plans for the better, but i i found something i need to ask myself. when i plan to enter laos, its likly i'll be in Loei province in Thailand, i read in a guidebook i used to own that mentioned a river crossing point in Loei - Laos but cant seem to find anything about it. the friends i know in laos i cant get in touch with yet so i hoped someone here may know? If not i can always eat up a day or two ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,796 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Gorey on 7/5/2007 at 04:09

Day trip and Guesthouse (Luang Prabang)

Posted by SteinOfOrange on 28/4/2007 at 09:33

I have been staying at SAYSAMONE Guesthouse. It is directly on the Mekong River. AC and single or two beds for around 10 usd's. Very nice and great relaxation. I went on a day trip, southbound on the Mekong. For eight hours we (two persons) spent 25usd total. We did swim in the waterfall, and had lunch in a village. I can tell you that the return trip (4 to 6) was worth my 12.50 and more. The river comes alive after 4pm. The tide has risen, children use steep mud banks as a water sli ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,898 times, with no replies.

Bus from Luang Prabang to Vientiane

Posted by Meilian1818 on 17/4/2007 at 04:36

I'm planning a trip through Laos for early this June and am running into some time constraints now that they no longer offer the speedboats from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang. Is the bus the fastest way between Luang Prabang and Vientiane (except flying). How long does the VIP bus/mini van take and what time does it leave LP? Is there a night bus between these two cities? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 21,633 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by mayla on 26/4/2007 at 18:23

Luang Prabang: Excursions

Posted by SteinOfOrange on 26/4/2007 at 09:23

I am in Luang for 4 days, having just flown in from Hanoi. Yesterday, I booked a 65$(usd)two day excursion with the White Elephant Co., mainly because I wanted to support the Canadian founded business. I packed my bags this morning and hiked down to the W.Elephants place. Surprise! No tour. The other two people had canceled out. It took the person at the desk maybe ten minutes before he finally admitted it; he was hoping I would go on the one day excursion. Not. I did get a refund very e ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,895 times, with no replies.

Vietnam and Laos

Posted by agnes_wyee on 22/4/2007 at 18:19

Hi I'll be travelling from Central to Southern Vietnam starting from Hue to Saigon (going from Phnom Penh). I had done Hanoi and Halong Bay in a different trip. My tentative itinery is (can be changed): Phnom Penh - Hue (fly) Hue - Danang/ Hoi An (bus) Danang - Nha Trang (fly) Nha Trang - Saigon (fly) *Maybe: Saigon - Mui Ne (bus) & Can Tho I saw one of your articles mentioned Con Dao and Phu Quoc. Where exactly is these two places (cannot find in the map) and how do I get there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,019 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by agnes_wyee on 25/4/2007 at 20:24

That sinking feeling of an authentic experience

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/4/2007 at 14:13

I just stumbled across "Laotian Prayers on a Sinking Raft" in the March issue of Perceptive Travel, penned by Brad Olsen. Hanging out in Muang Ngoi, Brad and his partner joined two others planning to float down the Nam Ou on a bamboo raft -- turns out it's not as easy as it looks. Brad finishes in explaining that while the raft trip may not have been smooth sailing, it was an "authentic travel moment". What springs to your mind when you think of an authentic travel moment? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,832 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by prairieox on 25/4/2007 at 09:42

Lao Airlines Web Site

Posted by Rufus on 22/4/2007 at 13:29

Why does Travelfish have a link to a site which purports to be the Lao Airlines site, but indeed is not? It is a site from a travel agent in France. http://www.laos-airlines.com/ This is very unfair on Laos Airlines, particularly when things sometimes go wrong - as they have in the past. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,375 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 22/4/2007 at 16:53

Trouble on Route 13

Posted by longleat on 18/2/2007 at 01:54

I have read on the US Embassy in Laos website that there has been fighting again on Rt. 13 and advice that there should be no overland travel from VV to LP. Does anyone know about this situation? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,947 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 22/4/2007 at 13:02

Bo Y border crossing and Laos Visa

Posted by kiwigirl on 15/4/2007 at 15:11

Hi, Hubbie and I are off to Vietnam and Laos in 4 weeks - getting very excited!! At this stage we are planning on entering Laos from Vietnam via the Bo Y border (from central highlands of Vietnam to Attepeu region in Laos) - any more successful border crossing updates in this direction much appreciated. I have read that according to Lao embassy officials this border is still closed to foreigners (we are from New Zealand)however we are still deterimined to try - and at least have an adv ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,060 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/4/2007 at 14:45

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page