Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang: Excursions

Posted by SteinOfOrange on 26/4/2007 at 09:23

I am in Luang for 4 days, having just flown in from Hanoi. Yesterday, I booked a 65$(usd)two day excursion with the White Elephant Co., mainly because I wanted to support the Canadian founded business. I packed my bags this morning and hiked down to the W.Elephants place. Surprise! No tour. The other two people had canceled out. It took the person at the desk maybe ten minutes before he finally admitted it; he was hoping I would go on the one day excursion. Not. I did get a refund very e ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,854 times, with no replies.

Vietnam and Laos

Posted by agnes_wyee on 22/4/2007 at 18:19

Hi I'll be travelling from Central to Southern Vietnam starting from Hue to Saigon (going from Phnom Penh). I had done Hanoi and Halong Bay in a different trip. My tentative itinery is (can be changed): Phnom Penh - Hue (fly) Hue - Danang/ Hoi An (bus) Danang - Nha Trang (fly) Nha Trang - Saigon (fly) *Maybe: Saigon - Mui Ne (bus) & Can Tho I saw one of your articles mentioned Con Dao and Phu Quoc. Where exactly is these two places (cannot find in the map) and how do I get there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,951 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by agnes_wyee on 25/4/2007 at 20:24

That sinking feeling of an authentic experience

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/4/2007 at 14:13

I just stumbled across "Laotian Prayers on a Sinking Raft" in the March issue of Perceptive Travel, penned by Brad Olsen. Hanging out in Muang Ngoi, Brad and his partner joined two others planning to float down the Nam Ou on a bamboo raft -- turns out it's not as easy as it looks. Brad finishes in explaining that while the raft trip may not have been smooth sailing, it was an "authentic travel moment". What springs to your mind when you think of an authentic travel moment? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,791 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by prairieox on 25/4/2007 at 09:42

Lao Airlines Web Site

Posted by Rufus on 22/4/2007 at 13:29

Why does Travelfish have a link to a site which purports to be the Lao Airlines site, but indeed is not? It is a site from a travel agent in France. http://www.laos-airlines.com/ This is very unfair on Laos Airlines, particularly when things sometimes go wrong - as they have in the past. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,308 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 22/4/2007 at 16:53

Trouble on Route 13

Posted by longleat on 18/2/2007 at 01:54

I have read on the US Embassy in Laos website that there has been fighting again on Rt. 13 and advice that there should be no overland travel from VV to LP. Does anyone know about this situation? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,868 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 22/4/2007 at 13:02

Bo Y border crossing and Laos Visa

Posted by kiwigirl on 15/4/2007 at 15:11

Hi, Hubbie and I are off to Vietnam and Laos in 4 weeks - getting very excited!! At this stage we are planning on entering Laos from Vietnam via the Bo Y border (from central highlands of Vietnam to Attepeu region in Laos) - any more successful border crossing updates in this direction much appreciated. I have read that according to Lao embassy officials this border is still closed to foreigners (we are from New Zealand)however we are still deterimined to try - and at least have an adv ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,998 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/4/2007 at 14:45

Little scam in southern Laos

Posted by JoHe59 on 17/4/2007 at 21:07

I went to the 4000 islands in southern Laos by taking the public bus from Pakse to Don Det/Don Khon. It takes about 3 hours and then you have to take a boat (ferry) to either Don Det or Don Khon. Normally the boats depart from the boatlanding at the small village of Ban Nakasan. At a certain moment I saw the sign 'Ban Nakasan' on the main road pointing towards a small road to the right, but the bus just went on for a few km and then turned right onto a similar small road. At the end there was a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,128 times, with no replies.

Gibbon Experience

Posted by jfenwick on 15/4/2007 at 01:10

Which Gibbon Experience is a better choice - The Classic or the Waterfall? What is the real difference between the two? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,562 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/4/2007 at 05:16

Best mode of transport for a solo traveller

Posted by zohe on 12/4/2007 at 14:06

Dear season travellers, I'm a new solo traveller from Singapore. There is a travel pass offer by one of the ticket agent here. I am very tempted to buy & fly across vietnam, laos & cambodia. however, may i know if flying is one of the best option? what if i'm not in a hurry. my reason to take flight is to avoid possible risk hazzled while crossing the borders. am i worrying too much? buying the pass may save some cost, but i'm afraid it will make my trip highly inflexible if i decide to ta ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,751 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 12/4/2007 at 18:19

Gibbon Experience website, email & phone down...

Posted by canucksinasia on 6/4/2007 at 17:07

Hello, It seems to me that the website, email and phone number for the Gibbon Experience in Laos are all down - does anyone have any information about this? Has anyone been there recently? I'm trying to contact them as we plan on being there in a week, but have been completely unable to no matter what method I try. Thanks, CanucksinAsia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,645 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by canucksinasia on 11/4/2007 at 18:45

Visa At Chiang Khong or Huay Xai

Posted by fragility22 on 3/4/2007 at 21:22

Is it possible to get a visa at either Chiang Kong or Huay Xai on arrival or do I need to organise this beforehand, if I can get one on arrival how long does it take? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,240 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 3/4/2007 at 21:33

Bribes

Posted by Birsay on 25/3/2007 at 18:37

We leave for Vientiane on 31-3 and have heard varying stories about the need for bribes at entry/exit points. Has anyone had experiences of this? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,855 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somsai on 30/3/2007 at 23:48

Travelfish Guide to Remote southern Laos added

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/3/2007 at 08:06

We've just added another Travelfish Guide to our small collection of PDF guides to the region. The latest one is to a bit of an unusual, off-the-beaten-track region we call "Remote southern Laos". The 11 page PDF guide covers the provinces of Salavan, Sekong and Attapeu, includes five maps, over 50 detailed listings for accommodation, restaurants, bars, sights and attractions and all up some 15,000 words of travel intelligence to the region. All that for a paltry US$2.95 -- less than $1 a pro ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,456 times, with no replies.

Dong Phu Vieng NPA

Posted by sugarplum on 8/2/2007 at 18:57

Has anyone visited this place on a guided tour? If so is it worth going to and how much was it? We are thinking of going tomorrow so quick responses appreciated. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,671 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ezywalker on 13/3/2007 at 23:17

Don't Trust Lao Airlines

Posted by merrylg on 12/2/2007 at 04:10

We had a really bad experience with Lao Airlines and will never use them again. Aside from the fact that it is very difficult to arrange a booking, they extorted an additional $35 US per ticket. Originally, they told us the Bangkok to Luang Prabang flight would be $235 US (round-trip). They asked for half now and half the day of the flight. They charged us half up-front but in EURO at a rate that equaled $135/ticket (not $117.50). We tried to explain this in advance and they said: "not to worry, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,978 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by TheSnowQueen on 13/3/2007 at 21:31

Two route options

Posted by drutherford on 12/3/2007 at 12:04

Hi I was wondering if anyone had done either of the following two overland routes, and if so approximately how long will they take (including enough time in each main place to see a few touristy things)? 1. Vientiane - Paksan - Phonsavan - Sam Nua 2. Vang Vienne - Phonsavan - Sam Nua I'm especially interested in the first option as it allows us to do a loop, as we are coming from Chiang Mai via the normal tourist route of HX, LP, VV. However, I am unsure about the Paksan - Phonsava ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,601 times, with no replies.

Car hire in Laos??

Posted by melissakelly on 11/3/2007 at 12:13

I'm travelling to Laos in June with one other person. As we have limited time I was thinking that it might be an idea to hire a car with a driver to take us from Luang Prabang to Sam Nuea over a few days. The plan is then to travel through to Hanoi. Does anyone know - If it is possible? How much it would cost per day? Where to hire from in L. P? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,475 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 11/3/2007 at 16:28

Phonsavan to Vientiane

Posted by Jomcevoy on 6/3/2007 at 14:11

Hi all, I'm wanting to know if its possible to fly from Phonsavan to Vientiane. If so, how much and who do I book with. I know there is a bus (which I would rather take!) but due to time constraints and other people travelling with me, trying to see if we can fly! Thanks very much, cheers, Jo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,644 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 7/3/2007 at 03:12

Laos - How cold is it?

Posted by drutherford on 1/3/2007 at 20:03

Hi everyone, I've read a few trip reports now where people have said it can get really cold in Laos (in particular on boat journeys and buses). How cold is it in May/June? Do we need heavy duty jackets etc or can we get away with long sleeved shirts or fleeces? Cheers Debbie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,663 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by kimley on 4/3/2007 at 14:17

Odd prices for Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights

Posted by lioninzion on 18/2/2007 at 21:53

Howdy all, I wondered if anyone could shed some light on the peculiarly large differences in prices for one-way flights between Bangkok and Luang Prabang. Bangkok Airways' website quotes the lowest price as 7750 baht ($232), including all taxes. The Lao Airlines wesbite (the real one, not the cheeky Paris travel agency imposters) quotes Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights for 4000 baht ($120). This seems like a ludicrously large difference. Can Lao Airlines really be that much ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,342 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by rplunkett71 on 21/2/2007 at 20:01

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page