Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Prophetic writings on Vang Vieng

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/1/2007 at 11:26

Here's a link to a story by AP writer Denis Gray about a 2001 visit to Vang Vieng. While the story is somewhat dated, its conclusion — that Vang Vieng is doomed — is not far off the mark in my opinion. "For some, Vang Vieng is the first stop on a touristic opium trail which weaves through Luang Prabang and ends at Muang Sing in northwestern Laos. But most come to savor the atmosphere of old Asia rapidly vanishing in much of the continent, and probably also doomed in Vang Vieng." Anyone ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,911 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by GussieG on 5/2/2007 at 18:34

Urgent! Phonsavan to Vinh - VIP bus scam?

Posted by tombra on 30/1/2007 at 18:26

Hey guys, We have this little issue we would like to We are now in Phonsavan (Laos) and want to go to Hanoi as soon as possible. We have been checking out transportation-options right after we arrived here, and there is supposed to be a VIP bus going from Phonsavan and directly to Vinh. Does anyone know anything about this bustrip? We have heard about scams from the Vietnamese side where the buses that are supposed to go all the way across the border just let you off at the border. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,357 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tombra on 2/2/2007 at 22:28

Vang Vieng - Green Discovery Tours / Mulberry Farm

Posted by gempea on 2/2/2007 at 19:57

Has anyone been on any tours with Green Discovery? Their prices seem pretty expensive but they are recommended in my Footprint Guide and on several sites. Also, has anyone stayed at the Mulberry Farm outside of Vang Vieng? It looks like a worthy and interesting place to visit. Do they still have a one-week minimum stay requirement? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,234 times, with no replies.

exiting from Lao

Posted by kawallo on 29/1/2007 at 20:42

Hi, I would like to know the last situation with passing from Lao to Thailand at the Muang Ngoen/Ban Huay Kon crossing point ? Is exiting (only exiting) Lao there possible ? In the negative case, which is the closest (in time, not distance) alternative ? TIA, gg ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,838 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 30/1/2007 at 05:07

Posted by jo8034 on 25/1/2007 at 04:01

Hi there, any help on this would be appreciated. We are trying to book a flight from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang in early March, which I did through the Laos Airlines website ( I received a reservation # but have not heard anything else back from them. The website says that they respond within 72 hours, have followed this up with an email, but still nothing. It's been a week since I made the original request. Should we just wait until we arrive in Chiang Mai and book ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,572 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by jo8034 on 28/1/2007 at 14:14

Rattana Guesthouse Luang Prabang

Posted by longleat on 21/1/2007 at 03:35

I read a few posts on Lonely Planet Thorntree that the Rattana Guesthouse books you in at one price, then adds on to it at check out saying that the Kip value has changed. Has anyone heard of them upping the rate at check out? It sound like a very nice place. If you would suggest others in that range that you have stayed at, I would really appreciate it. Many thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,961 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by spy on 28/1/2007 at 01:14

Recommendations for accomodation in Tha Khaek and Savannakhet

Posted by sugarplum on 26/1/2007 at 19:03

We'll be travelling down to Tha Khaek and Savannakhet in the next few days and wondered if anyone can recommend any accomodation there. I checked the recommendations already in Travelfish and none have been posted that recently so wondered if anyone had found any gems they weren;t letting on about! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,112 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by DonMorgan on 26/1/2007 at 21:37

Any visa requirements irish passport

Posted by eoinfitz on 24/1/2007 at 23:22

hi there, Jus wondering is there any visa required before entry into laos from thailand or is it visa on arrival??? Also whats the best route and mode traveling from chiang mai?? cheers . ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,027 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 25/1/2007 at 06:31

Off tomorrow

Posted by kimley on 24/1/2007 at 05:47

To Thailand and Laos for 18 days. Will write a trip report when I return. Cheers Kim :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,541 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 24/1/2007 at 08:51

Back From Laos

Posted by mdb123 on 24/1/2007 at 02:48

Recently returned from Laos, it was incredible. I had some postcards made up actually, on, they have some really great business cards and postcards ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,843 times, with no replies.

Hanoi to Luang PrABANG

Posted by soccersimo on 21/1/2007 at 12:10

wE are in Hanoi, we are planning the long trip into Loas. We want to go to Luang Prabang(spelling?) first,then work our way south. We have been told that buses don't make this route. Is that true? If so, can we get dropped off at Vang vieng or phu khun then head north to luang prabang. HAS anyone else made this journey before and can help out on - price -standard of bus and road -time the journey took Any help will be great ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,259 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by soccersimo on 23/1/2007 at 17:43

Chang Mai to Luang Prabang

Posted by chochosan on 22/1/2007 at 16:16

We travelled from Chang Mai to Luang Prabang 2 weeks ago and booked a 'package tour' from tour operator Easy Trip ( - it was a farce. First, they charged US$40 (or 1700 baht) for arranging a Laos visa at the border, when the visa really costs US$30. Most travellers have not got a Lao visa and they chanced on the fact that everyone was already on the Thai-Laos border and there was no way anyone could get a visa unless it's through them. Secondly, upon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,441 times, with no replies.

Good little video of Laos

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/1/2007 at 09:58

Here's a good video of northern Laos I found over on Youtube. It's a mix of video and stills, a little blurry at times, but if gives a good impression of the area -- mostly from Muang Ngoi and Luang Nam Tha - worth a look if you're headed that way. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,641 times, with no replies.

From Si Phan Don to Kratie

Posted by amz155 on 13/12/2006 at 04:49

I've read that you can buy a ticket from Don Det all the way to Stung Treng, Kratie or even as far as Phnom Penh. What would be most economical; to buy a ticket all the way to Phnom Penh or just to Kratie and then find our own transportation? Can anyone who has done this trip by buying a ticket from Si Phan Don shed some light? Does this route use the over land border crossing? We'll need to get visas on arrival. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,180 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/1/2007 at 17:40

Alone in Laos

Posted by gempea on 28/11/2006 at 22:33

Hi I am twenty-two years old and female, and I'm planning on travelling alone through SEA starting in February next year. I'm especially interested in Laos and have read everything I have found about travelling there, however, I have found very little on travelling alone. Can anyone who has travelled by their self through Laos give me some tips on safety as well as getting good deals and meeting other travellers? Also, how easy is it to get vegetarian food? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,117 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by steviej on 16/1/2007 at 15:35

Loa Air Excursion Pass

Posted by longleat on 16/1/2007 at 01:02

I am still trying to buy the Laos Excursion Pass. It is a better value than the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass for my particular route. Does anyone know how I can purchase this pass from the US? Or is there a Lao Airlines office in Hanoi where I can purchase the pass? The Lao Airline website has been down. Any help you can give will be really appreciated. Thank you!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,852 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by murwill16 on 16/1/2007 at 14:22

February weather

Posted by kimley on 15/1/2007 at 15:31

Hi, will be in Luang Prabang 7th Feb, have looked at the weather sites but not quite sure. Will we need jumpers, long pants etc for nights and early mornings? Coming from Thailand so dont want to carry warm clothes unless really necessary. Thanks :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,454 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by steviej on 15/1/2007 at 19:35

Cost of living....

Posted by Brainfreeze on 9/1/2007 at 14:55

I just arrived in Luang Prabang yesterday and I immediately noticed that generally it is a little bit more expensive than Thailand! This came as a suprise to me and my girlfriend as we had heard from many people that Laos would be cheaper... is there anyone else that has noticed this and does anyone know if we will find many places that are cheaper than Luang Prabang? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,226 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Brainfreeze on 15/1/2007 at 17:42

Weather and Travel in May

Posted by AmandaJordan on 15/1/2007 at 01:31

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some more details about what it is like getting around laos in may during the wet season. I am planning on being their mid May this year and want an idea of how bad the roads and boat rides will be etc if we are only taking major routes. We are planning on going from Huay Xai taking the slow boat to luang prabang, spending a couple days there then a couple days in Vang Vieng for tubing, kayaking etc. and then spending a couple days in Vientiae. Any in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,075 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/1/2007 at 11:00

visa for Canadians

Posted by rourou19 on 11/1/2007 at 16:20

Hi, I'd like to find out the cost for visa on arrival for Canadians. I'm currently working in China, and was going to apply for a visa in advance from Beijing only to find out they charge approximately USD 50 at the Laos embassy in Beijing. Since I heard visa on arrival for most countries is USD30, just wondering if it's the same for Canadians. Thanks a lot for your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,068 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/1/2007 at 10:59

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page