Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Any visa requirements irish passport

Posted by eoinfitz on 24/1/2007 at 23:22

hi there, Jus wondering is there any visa required before entry into laos from thailand or is it visa on arrival??? Also whats the best route and mode traveling from chiang mai?? cheers . ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,989 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 25/1/2007 at 06:31

Off tomorrow

Posted by kimley on 24/1/2007 at 05:47

To Thailand and Laos for 18 days. Will write a trip report when I return. Cheers Kim :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,503 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 24/1/2007 at 08:51

Back From Laos

Posted by mdb123 on 24/1/2007 at 02:48

Recently returned from Laos, it was incredible. I had some postcards made up actually, on http://www.printsmadeeasy.com, they have some really great business cards and postcards ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,803 times, with no replies.

Hanoi to Luang PrABANG

Posted by soccersimo on 21/1/2007 at 12:10

wE are in Hanoi, we are planning the long trip into Loas. We want to go to Luang Prabang(spelling?) first,then work our way south. We have been told that buses don't make this route. Is that true? If so, can we get dropped off at Vang vieng or phu khun then head north to luang prabang. HAS anyone else made this journey before and can help out on - price -standard of bus and road -time the journey took Any help will be great ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,219 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by soccersimo on 23/1/2007 at 17:43

Chang Mai to Luang Prabang

Posted by chochosan on 22/1/2007 at 16:16

We travelled from Chang Mai to Luang Prabang 2 weeks ago and booked a 'package tour' from tour operator Easy Trip (http://www.discoverylaos.com/e-version/) - it was a farce. First, they charged US$40 (or 1700 baht) for arranging a Laos visa at the border, when the visa really costs US$30. Most travellers have not got a Lao visa and they chanced on the fact that everyone was already on the Thai-Laos border and there was no way anyone could get a visa unless it's through them. Secondly, upon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,400 times, with no replies.

Good little video of Laos

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/1/2007 at 09:58

Here's a good video of northern Laos I found over on Youtube. It's a mix of video and stills, a little blurry at times, but if gives a good impression of the area -- mostly from Muang Ngoi and Luang Nam Tha - worth a look if you're headed that way. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,606 times, with no replies.

From Si Phan Don to Kratie

Posted by amz155 on 13/12/2006 at 04:49

I've read that you can buy a ticket from Don Det all the way to Stung Treng, Kratie or even as far as Phnom Penh. What would be most economical; to buy a ticket all the way to Phnom Penh or just to Kratie and then find our own transportation? Can anyone who has done this trip by buying a ticket from Si Phan Don shed some light? Does this route use the over land border crossing? We'll need to get visas on arrival. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,057 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/1/2007 at 17:40

Alone in Laos

Posted by gempea on 28/11/2006 at 22:33

Hi I am twenty-two years old and female, and I'm planning on travelling alone through SEA starting in February next year. I'm especially interested in Laos and have read everything I have found about travelling there, however, I have found very little on travelling alone. Can anyone who has travelled by their self through Laos give me some tips on safety as well as getting good deals and meeting other travellers? Also, how easy is it to get vegetarian food? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,080 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by steviej on 16/1/2007 at 15:35

Loa Air Excursion Pass

Posted by longleat on 16/1/2007 at 01:02

I am still trying to buy the Laos Excursion Pass. It is a better value than the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass for my particular route. Does anyone know how I can purchase this pass from the US? Or is there a Lao Airlines office in Hanoi where I can purchase the pass? The Lao Airline website has been down. Any help you can give will be really appreciated. Thank you!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,806 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by murwill16 on 16/1/2007 at 14:22

February weather

Posted by kimley on 15/1/2007 at 15:31

Hi, will be in Luang Prabang 7th Feb, have looked at the weather sites but not quite sure. Will we need jumpers, long pants etc for nights and early mornings? Coming from Thailand so dont want to carry warm clothes unless really necessary. Thanks :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,417 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by steviej on 15/1/2007 at 19:35

Cost of living....

Posted by Brainfreeze on 9/1/2007 at 14:55

I just arrived in Luang Prabang yesterday and I immediately noticed that generally it is a little bit more expensive than Thailand! This came as a suprise to me and my girlfriend as we had heard from many people that Laos would be cheaper... is there anyone else that has noticed this and does anyone know if we will find many places that are cheaper than Luang Prabang? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,184 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Brainfreeze on 15/1/2007 at 17:42

Weather and Travel in May

Posted by AmandaJordan on 15/1/2007 at 01:31

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some more details about what it is like getting around laos in may during the wet season. I am planning on being their mid May this year and want an idea of how bad the roads and boat rides will be etc if we are only taking major routes. We are planning on going from Huay Xai taking the slow boat to luang prabang, spending a couple days there then a couple days in Vang Vieng for tubing, kayaking etc. and then spending a couple days in Vientiae. Any in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,037 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/1/2007 at 11:00

visa for Canadians

Posted by rourou19 on 11/1/2007 at 16:20

Hi, I'd like to find out the cost for visa on arrival for Canadians. I'm currently working in China, and was going to apply for a visa in advance from Beijing only to find out they charge approximately USD 50 at the Laos embassy in Beijing. Since I heard visa on arrival for most countries is USD30, just wondering if it's the same for Canadians. Thanks a lot for your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,031 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/1/2007 at 10:59

Xayoh Riverside Guest House Reservation

Posted by longleat on 12/1/2007 at 07:14

Is it possible to reserve the Xayoh in advance? I don't see an e-mail address. Also, does anyone know if it can accommodate three in a room? Many thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,935 times, with no replies.

Gifts for local peolple

Posted by KAALIE on 15/10/2006 at 19:36

Hello, We leave 27th of Oct to Laos and CAmbodja. What can we bring for local people? soap, balpoints, t-shirts...??? Please give us some advise. thanks K&L ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,268 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 11/1/2007 at 10:21

transportation in Muang La or Pak Nam Noi?

Posted by namhoonkim on 19/12/2006 at 16:27

Hi..!! My wife and I plan to travel Laos next week. This is the part of our plan. When traveling, we want to visit Phongsali from UdomXai via Muang La or Pak Nam Noi by bus. In Muang La or Pak Nam Noi we will stop and rest. And at night we want to take the bus which we know would start from Lunag Prabang at 5:00 pm. Does this bus stop in Muang La or Pak Nam Noi? is it possible to take this bus at night? If there is anyone who knows it, please inform me!! Thank you for watching my ques ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,468 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 11/1/2007 at 08:38

Sabaidee Bus to Bangkok

Posted by skinnylatte on 23/11/2006 at 19:28

By the time I hit Vientiane, I might have to get back to Bangkok in a hurry. I understand how the carry out the border crossing, and I'd probably go with the train from Nong Khai in most cases. However this time I need to rush back to Bangkok on a certain day to pick someone up from the airport. I am thinking of catching the Sabaidee bus from Vientiane, so I can reach Bangkok by 6am the next morning. 1. How is this bus? I'm not too fussed. As long as it's not a scam, I'm happy. 2. Do they ru ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,748 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by zeez on 8/1/2007 at 13:39

Laos to Hanoi

Posted by freenote on 4/1/2007 at 22:53

Hi ,we will be in Laos in about a month ,and wanted to travel up to the north and cross into Vietnam overland ,our destination being Hanoi . So ,what is the best rout , any help welcomed as we do not want to fly ! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,936 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by freenote on 7/1/2007 at 23:46

Info on Laos and Bangkok air pass

Posted by longleat on 4/11/2006 at 08:48

Does anyone have current information on the airpass. From what I understand this pass can be used in Laos and Cambodia. $50. per flight withink the country and $90. from one to the other. But I have only read this and really have no confirmation that this is correct. Are there two passes, one through Bangkok airlines on one Lao Airlines? Also, how can this be purchased? Any help would be very much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,822 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by longleat on 4/1/2007 at 20:47

Laos Air Excursion Pass

Posted by longleat on 4/1/2007 at 08:13

Re. the Laos Air Excursion Pass: I have found the info on their website. Does anyone know how to purchase from the US? Also, will I need to make reservations for specific flights before we leave the US? We are all set to arrive in Hanoi in May and plan to use the Laos Air Pass to Vientiane and then to Siem Reap. Any advise you can give for booking will be greatly appreciated ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,080 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by steviej on 4/1/2007 at 16:51

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page