Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

visa

Posted by inky on 6/11/2006 at 21:24

i notice its $30 for visa on thh laos border,do i take it it that sterling is not accepted,and would it be better for me to use baht,or exchange sterling to a few $s depending on the exchange rate before i leave? ...

Read the full post.

suggestions

Posted by inky on 6/11/2006 at 17:20

hey there i know this has been asked loads of times!!! travelling to laos next year,1 week thailand,3 weeks laos. need some advise on visas,must sees and some info on travel agents in laos. thanks in advance adrian ...

Read the full post.

Plain of Jars

Posted by Georgie on 3/11/2006 at 17:38

Is the Plain of Jars a nightmare to get to if you can't afford to fly? How much are flights? Is it all worth it in the end? I want to go but my husband isn't sure. ...

Read the full post.

Visas for Laos

Posted by tomboreynolds on 27/10/2006 at 01:21

Hi, Could anyone please advise on the speed and ease of getting a visa for Laos if you are in the North of Thailand. Our present plans, as part of a big gap year trip, mean we will be in the Chiang Mai /Chiang Rai region but will not have the opportunity to get the Laos visa in advance of our arrival. We want to cross the border and head for Luang Prabang. Any thoughts much appreciated as well as any views or tips on treks in Northern Thailand. Regrds Tom R ...

Read the full post.

It's easy to forget just how beautiful Laos is

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/11/2006 at 05:18

Digging through some material today I found a "filed" (ie., lost) CD full of pics from Nong Kiaow and Muang Ngoi -- two classic backpacker destinations upriver from Luang Prabang -- including all the accommodation pictures that have long been missing from Travelfish. While adding in the guesthouse pics, I was struck by just how breathtakingly beautiful the area is -- the photo of the guy strumming a guitar on his guesthouse balcony looking over the river on Muang Ngoi as the river sets, had m ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,059 times, with no replies.

just a few questions............for now

Posted by rigo on 23/10/2006 at 14:08

hi guys, i am just fine tuning my itinerary,i have got as far as pakse ( early jan)and wondered what other travellers would recommend we do in the few days that we have down there before we head into cambodia, which of the islands to stay on etc. i also wondered how we would get from eg don det to voen kham(how long) and is it still a nightmare to get from vk to stung treng? one last question, is it imperative that we take malaria medication ? cheers for now ...

Read the full post.

Paddling Nam Kading or Hinboun

Posted by romandaniel on 29/10/2006 at 06:34

I'm going to Laos at the end of November and I'd like to spend some time paddling a river or two in Khammouan or Bolikhamsay provinces (Nam Hinboun? Nam Kading?). I mean not very difficult rivers, with several days on water and overnight camping on the river banks. Do you think it is possible to rent (buy?) some local paddle boat there or should I bring my own inflatable one or is it the idea foolish at all? I appreciate any recommendation. ...

Read the full post.

Levady Guesthouse

Posted by sleepygirl on 25/10/2006 at 08:44

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had email details for making bookings for Levady Guesthouse? I really wanna stay here between Dec 10th and Dec 12th (3 nights).. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,204 times, with no replies.

mosquitos in Nov

Posted by slug63us on 24/10/2006 at 05:41

My wife, 4 year old child and I are arriving in Luang prubang on Nov 6. we'll be travelling 3 weeks to Vientiane, Pakse, Bolaven Plateau and finish in Si Phan Don. Does anyone know the mosquito situation for this time for these places. We have permethrin treated clothes, bed nets and deet. Are malaria pills necessary also? ...

Read the full post.

first time to Laos

Posted by shaana on 20/10/2006 at 16:05

Hi Im planning on getting the night bus from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, then onto Laos, I need to get to Huay Xai. Which border crossing do I go through and how much is a visa there?? is it best to get it ahead of time or is it ok to get it at the border?? i already have a supply of photos ...

Read the full post.

Beerlao in Mullumbimby!!!

Posted by marianwarren on 23/10/2006 at 15:24

Hi all beer enthusiasts I am enjoying my first Beerlao 5 weeks before I expected to ... normally drink Cintra - Portuguese, but they were out of stock. Beerlao is very similar in flavour with maybe less malt and slightly sweeter ... very nice, very quaffable! It's amazing being able to obtain this in a town with less than 3000 people. Regards Marian PS.I lied - this is my second ... had to wait to use the computer! ...

Read the full post.

weather in May

Posted by longleat on 22/10/2006 at 20:32

I read in Lonely Planet that the smog is very thick in Luang Prabang from February -May. Also, that it is so thick that locals themselves have red eyes and trouble breathing. Taking photos of landscape is difficult due smog in the air. I am going to LP in May and was wondering if anyone who has been there in May could confirm or relate their experiences with the air during May. May is the beginning of the wet season, so I hoped the air conditions are cleared up by then. Thanks so much! ...

Read the full post.

Southern Laos adventure - check itinerary please

Posted by kiwigirl on 14/10/2006 at 15:56

Hi, I have never been to Laos before but have always been facinated by it and heard only great stories. Now I have the chance to visit thanks to a special Jetstar deal flying from NZ via Sydney to Ho Chi Minh City. I know these sorts of Q's are nobodys fav's but I would really appreciate any feedback on a base itinerary I am working on for my 17 day southern Laos adventure. There may be glearingly obvious flaws that only the great poeple that monitor this board can point out to me. Travel ...

Read the full post.

Book hotel in LP on line?

Posted by yogamomma on 16/10/2006 at 04:19

I tried to book the Sala Prabang direct on their website but could not do it. Can I do it from a travel agent in Chaing Mai do you think? I'd like to cross that one off my list before getting there if possible. ...

Read the full post.

Where within Luang Prabang?

Posted by amz155 on 18/9/2006 at 06:54

We are trying to pick a few guesthouses to choose from while in Luang Prabang. However, I would like some suggestions on what area to stay in: i..e center of town, on the Nam Khan? How would you describe the different areas of town and which is most "quaint" yet conveniently located to walk around on food? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Vientiane/Luang Prabang /Chiangmai

Posted by KPTham1 on 26/9/2006 at 23:24

My wife and I plus an artist friend hope to be in Vientiane on 23 Dec and continue on to Luang Prabang the following day(24/12) where we would have 5 days before going over to Chiangmai(29 0r 30 Dec).I definitely appreciate advice on : 1.how can I arrange to visit the Plain of the Jars on the way to LP, presumably by road without taking too much time allocated for LP.From what I know, I have to turn off north of Kasi to Xieng Khouang and then double back again to LP.Can I do it in 1day or do I ...

Read the full post.

6 days in Laos - what do you think?

Posted by maaravi on 24/9/2006 at 20:30

hi we're a group of 5 friend going to Laos for 6 days in the begining of January. We only have 6 days and we want to travel through north Laos. We planned the following itinerary - we would love to read what you think of it. We describe our itinerary below - our questions are between **. - we intend to rent a 4X4 vehicle for the entire 6 days. - we intend to stay 1 night in each place. day 1: arrive in vientiane, take car, head to Vang Vieng (2 hours) - in Vang Vieng: river rafting, ri ...

Read the full post.

Chaing Rai to Huay Xai ...how

Posted by flashwoollysocks on 6/10/2006 at 12:38

G'day, 9 of us are wanting to travel next week from Chiang Rai airport across to Huay Xai .... what's the most interesting way ...or whats possible and what should we pay? ...

Read the full post.

Orphanage or children's NGO in Luang Prabang?

Posted by Asiawithkids on 5/10/2006 at 11:20

We're planning a trip to Luang Prabang in November with our daughters, ages 3 and 6. We'd like to do some volunteer work or take supplies to an orphanage, school, or children's service organization while there. Can anybody point us in the right direction? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Ive never been to Laos

Posted by michelleusher on 18/9/2006 at 21:24

but I have been to thailand...Iam planning on being in north Thailand for xmas and new year then crossing over to Laos. Would you suggest allowing a month to travel through? Iam in SEA for 3 months in total and on a budget. Is Loas a lot cheaper than Thailand? Can anyone put Laos in a nutshell? Iam very excited to go....... ...

Read the full post.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page