Laos forum

Laos forum

Visa for border crossing thailand to Laos (nongkhai)

Posted by dbp92503 on 27/9/2006 at 12:18

I will travel to Thailand and then crossing border at NongKhai. Please anyone tell me , is it difficult to get Laos Visa at border. Thank ...

Viewed 7,525 times, with 9 replies.

Hey Exacto

Posted by marianwarren on 12/9/2006 at 08:58

What did you use for cushioning on the bus from LP - Vang Vieng - Vientiane? I hear it's pretty bouncey. Regards Marian ...

Viewed 2,248 times, with 5 replies.

Arriving in early November

Posted by LancasterLad on 13/9/2006 at 16:43

Hi everyone. I'll be arriving in Vientiane on 7 November with my wife and brother (all early 50s). Our plan is to stay in Vientiane for about 3 nights, and then catch the the bus to Viang Vieng. We'll stay there for 3 nights and then continue on to Luang Prabang for a while. Our nightly budget for accommodation is up to a maximum of $25 a night for a single or double. I'd be very grateful for the following info: Are the ThongBay G/H in Vientiane and Luang Prabang the best VFM places to ...

Viewed 3,311 times, with 7 replies.

How hot is hot?

Posted by amz155 on 17/9/2006 at 00:31

We'll be in Laos and Cambodia from late Feb to late March. Just wondering how hot/dry it gets during this time. I know I can look up the average temps but I'd like a more personal account. Could we get away with fanned rooms or will we better off with A/C rooms? (We'll be staying in cheaper guesthouses) I know we can wait and see how the climate is when we arrive but trying to come up with a ballpark figure for our required budget and there often seems to be a big difference between a fan and A/ ...

Viewed 2,377 times, with 5 replies.

Booking Lao Airlines flights

Posted by GussieG on 17/9/2006 at 19:36

Does anyone know a website or UK travel agent where I can book the Lao Airlines flight from Vientiane to Siem Reap for the US$145 quoted on the Lao Airlines website? All the ones I've found seem to be much more expensive. Thanks ...

Viewed 4,058 times, with 1 reply.

Luang Prabang to Hanoi

Posted by jaliltan on 15/9/2006 at 19:25

Hi , great website. We are travelling in november from Changmai to Luang Prabang to Hanoi. We have the routes except the one from Luang Prabang to Hanoi. Is there a border crossing? Which? Mode of transport (not flight) and the cost (if possible)? how long is the travelling time? appreciate any suggestions. Thanks! ...

Viewed 4,970 times, with 1 reply.

Overland border crossing Loas to North Vietnam

Posted by tommcinnes on 13/9/2006 at 11:40

We are travelling to loas in Oct and are wondering if there is now a northern border crossing to North Vietman? We would like to travel Vietnam North to South and would prefer not to enter central Vietnam which would mean some back tracking. Has anyone some info on this? ...

Viewed 4,147 times, with 1 reply.

Morning alms

Posted by amz155 on 1/9/2006 at 04:49

This question may be a bit intrusive but here goes.... Where is the best place in Luang Prabang to witness the monk's morning alms round? Any tips on how to respectfully view and appreciate this? Thanks! ...

Viewed 3,140 times, with 5 replies.

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai travel time

Posted by marianwarren on 1/9/2006 at 15:34

Sontam Have read somewhere on the message board (can't find it now) rough time for travel from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai (poss 5 hours by bus?) I remember that if you leave early in the morning should be able to make Huay Xai without having to overnight in Chiang Khong. Have to be at Si Phan Don on a definite date - end of visa, want to participate in Gibbon experience as soon as we arrive in Laos - don't want to waste any of the 30 day visa hanging around unnecessarily. As GE is an early sta ...

Viewed 10,663 times, with 2 replies.

Preventing spinal injury

Posted by marianwarren on 10/9/2006 at 16:42

Hi all Any tips on surviving those bone shattering bus journeys? I would love to take my beloved latex pillow but its inclusion wouldn't leave any room in the pack for anything else. Have usual western buggered back syndrome. Am looking at several loooong bus trips - while cheap massages are appealing, would prefer not to need them just to be able to walk. Any advice on minimalist portable cushioning welcome. Regards Marian ...

Viewed 2,408 times, with no replies.

Luang Prabang to Plain of Jars

Posted by messej01 on 2/8/2006 at 17:41

Hi, Has anyone done a one or two night trip/tour to the Plain of Jars from Luang Prabang? Interested if any companies do these (inexpensively) using minibus?? Thanks Messej01 ...

Viewed 13,366 times, with 7 replies.

girl travelling alone in laos

Posted by lorinda2107 on 7/9/2006 at 06:49

Hi, I will be travelling alone to Laos, and am wondering is it safe enough for a girl travelling alone??Have travlled a bit solo before but still a little scraed. Also, intersted in doing a cycle tour...can anyone recommend any companies that take cheap tours???Ok, any advice is very greatly appreciated, cheers. ...

Viewed 4,689 times, with 1 reply.

itinerary issues

Posted by rigo on 2/9/2006 at 10:07

i have 4 weeks to spend between laos,vietnam and cambodia and i am trying to find out, is it possible to fly directly to luang prabang from bangkok. have any of you guys done a similar itinerary in a similar ammount of time, which route did you take to avoid travelling back on yourself ? any advice would be welcomed, cheers ...

Viewed 2,253 times, with 4 replies.

Lao Aviation to commene direct Luang Prabang to Hanoi flights

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2006 at 04:36

Vietnam Net Bridge reports that Lao Aviation is shortly to begin flights between Luang Prabang and Hanoi. Flights will commence on October 26 and will cost US$100 one way, plus $15 tax. Initially there will be two flights a week. ...

Viewed 4,583 times, with 1 reply.

Trekking in the North of Laos

Posted by Magz on 30/8/2006 at 19:10

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing a two- or three-day trek around the Luang Namtha / Muand Sing area. Could you share your experiences or recommend any tour operators? Thanks so much! ...

Viewed 2,731 times, with 2 replies.

Malaria medication

Posted by crow on 26/8/2006 at 12:01

Hi We were wondering if anyone out there travelling through Laos could give some advice on taking anti malaria medication. We will be travelling through Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Van Vieng (overnight) over the course of about 2 weeks. We've read that the more populated areas of Laos have minimal risk and are wondering what other people have decided to do when travelling through these areas. We'd really appreciate any advice Crow ...

Viewed 3,263 times, with 6 replies.

Another question about bargaining

Posted by santsingh on 10/8/2006 at 11:16

Sorry, meant to post this in my previous one. Oops ;) I understand that I will need to haggle prices. Can anyone advise what the general percentage of the original price I can expect to be reasonable to haggle for (30%, 50%, 75%???) plus, things that should not be haggled for? I am interested in knowing this for Laos, but I am also going to Cambodia and Vietnam. Cheers, ...

Viewed 2,472 times, with 3 replies.

Kuang Si Waterfalls nr Luang Prabang

Posted by simeone_8 on 16/8/2006 at 22:18

Could anyone tell me how far out of Luang Prabang these waterfalls are. I have one morning available when I might be able to go there but have to be back at Luang Prabang airport for approx 12.30/13.00 to get a flight to Hanoi. Wondering it would be possible to have an early start and go there for a bit but not sure how far out of town they are or how long it takes to get there or what time the taxi/tuk tuk drivers get out of bed?? Also, is it clean to swim in. (seem to see plenty people in th ...

Viewed 2,890 times, with 2 replies.

The Gibbon Experience

Posted by simeone_8 on 10/4/2006 at 21:18

http://www.gibbonexp.org I noticed a question previously posted on 23 jan 2006 regarding this place but nobody had been there and tried it first hand and it looks pretty amazing! Has anyone been yet and can say its worthwhile as i've only just heard about it and its a bit out of the way of the current itinerary im looking to do in Laos? ...

Viewed 7,925 times, with 9 replies.

vientaine to hanoi

Posted by ozterry on 12/8/2006 at 14:54

by bus or train is it possiable if so what time frame and visa info needed thanks ...

Viewed 2,532 times, with 4 replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.