Laos forum

Laos forum

Laos Flights

Posted by steviej on 9/8/2006 at 22:24

Hi All, Can anybody confirm if Lao Airlines actually fly from Luang Prabang to Pakxe. Chill..................... ...

Viewed 2,818 times, with 5 replies.

Cash for Laos

Posted by marianwarren on 5/8/2006 at 09:54

Hi all I'm wondering how much US$ to enter Laos with. We hope to do Gibbon Experience (so $333 almost immediately), some of the Nthern loop, LP, Vientiane - fly Pakse, Christmas at Sala Phae $120 (Si Phan Don) plus however long to get to PP. I'm bugeting $32 p/d x 28 days, for 3 people in Laos - so $1350 all up. How much of this amount should I take in cash $$'s? I notice that Don Khon and Don Dhet both have money exchanges, do they give cash advances on plastic or cash TC's Pref ...

Viewed 3,232 times, with 5 replies.

strange local specialties

Posted by maciac on 24/7/2006 at 20:23

Hello, I am gathering information for a private report about strangest foods around the world. I would be grateful if you helped with it. As I have to make a long jurney the information about places I should visit would be really piceless. Thanks, Maciek ...

Viewed 2,495 times, with 8 replies.

Weather In Laos/Travel companions

Posted by montyclaire on 24/5/2006 at 06:01

Hello I will be flying into Vientaine on 10 July 06. I am planning an extended holiday/working trip through Laos. As I will be flying in at the start of the rainy season, I was wondering whether I am going to find it hard travelling around to the different Provinces. I was considering staying about a week in Vientaine and then heading to Vang Vieng on the way to Luang Prabang. Will I have trouble travelling with the rainfall? Also, as I will be going solo, I was wondering how easy it is to ...

Viewed 8,769 times, with 13 replies.

Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha

Posted by pauljaymes on 16/7/2006 at 00:11

Hi, A friend has recommended to do the bus journey from the Thai border at Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha rather than the boat to LNT or Luang Prabang, which is by all accounts a pretty dodgy trip. However, I'm a little concerned that this advice is based on dry season travel - does anyone have any (recent) experience of th8e HX to LNT road in the wet? Is it still preferable to the boat? P ...

Viewed 4,198 times, with 3 replies.

is it raining in luang prabang this week?

Posted by missmasala on 24/7/2006 at 16:43

was thinking of popping up from bangkok for a few days, but was wondering about the weather. a couple of posters have complained. is the weather like bangkok right now (afternoon shower every other day or so) or worse. I don't mind a shower or two every day as long as it's nice in between. but if it will be raining all day long, then forget it. also, what about siem reap? nice now, or too rainy? thanks ...

Viewed 2,300 times, with 3 replies.

Approx 10/11 days in Laos

Posted by sackonmyback on 21/7/2006 at 08:53

Hello there - Iam going to Laos in beginning of Sept and was wondering if you could suggest an itinerary of sorts to me for 10/11 days. We are going to Chang Mai and were planning on going North crossing the border at Huay Xai to the Gibbon experience, go down by boat to Luang Prabang from there and also hoping to fit in Vang Viene and Vientiane as well! The more I read the more impossible to fit all this in it sounds!! Esp the 2 day boat trip down doesnt sound that appealing! Think we wou ...

Viewed 2,470 times, with 2 replies.

Laos in the wet season

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/7/2006 at 17:57

If you're wondering why the estimated trip length for a bus journey in Laos during the wet season can a bit hit and miss, take a look at these snaps of buses crossing floodwaters in Laos, that I stumbled across while blog surfing...I mean working ;-) ...

Viewed 2,758 times, with 1 reply.

Vang Vieng-Is it worth it?

Posted by cfiggy on 18/7/2006 at 10:25

I only have four days in Laos. Vientiane is a necessary stop. I plan to stay overnight here then fly to Luang Prabang the next day. In that case, I will miss Vang Vieng. Do you think Vang Vieng is worthwhile to see? Pls help. Thanks. ...

Viewed 4,757 times, with 3 replies.

Vientaine to Luang Prabang

Posted by jadw on 11/7/2006 at 02:59

Does anyone know what is the cost and duration from Vientaine to Luang Prabang by air and bus? Are the roads safe in Laos? Also, any recommendations for lodging and sights for 5 to 7 days in Laos. Thanks. ...

Viewed 3,100 times, with 7 replies.

North to south travel help

Posted by Gordon_M on 12/7/2006 at 00:14

Hows everyone doing today, i was wondering what kind of route to take through laos, im planning on spending a couple of weeks heading north to chiang mai then crossing to laos, i would love to travel north to south and onto cambodia but i keep hearing different stories on borders being closed also i was wondering how much travel time would be involved, i would like to travel on a budget but like the sound of travelling by river. Also how safe is it to travel this way, i like the outdoors and me ...

Viewed 3,613 times, with 1 reply.

Where can I buy beer Lao in the UK!!!?????

Posted by womblefur on 7/7/2006 at 04:12

PLEASSSEEE PLEEEAASSEE PLLEEEASE can someone tell me where I can buy beer lao in The UK!!!! Jeni ...

Viewed 6,070 times, with 2 replies.

phonsavan?

Posted by VeganAlex on 24/6/2006 at 15:00

What is there to do in Phonsavan other than visiting the plain of jars? I also read on www.passplanet.com there is a bus to luang prabang that stops in Nong Khiaw, is this true? how often do they run? ...

Viewed 2,530 times, with 3 replies.

ideas for a 3 week trip to laos

Posted by angela_dolan1 on 5/7/2006 at 04:23

Hello! I'm flying into bangkok on the 13th of July and plan to go to laos for 3 weeks. I'd like to take in the north and south ... would this be possible? What would the weather be like? Any ideas for itineraries would be much appreciated! Cheers Angela ...

Viewed 3,107 times, with 4 replies.

Weather in December

Posted by messej01 on 4/7/2006 at 17:20

We are planning on travelling through Laos from the end of December through January and just saw that average temperatures are only 10 - 20 degrees. I know this is peak time over there but I was hoping to do the tubing and white water rafting but 20 degrees is pretty cold (by Aussie standards). Did I get the temps wrong? Thanks Julie ...

Viewed 5,636 times, with 3 replies.

Limited buget

Posted by Louie on 30/6/2006 at 11:18

Hi, i am a volunteer teacher in Thailand. I plan to travel up to Chaig Mai around the 12th of July, then i would like to travel around Lao. However i have a much smaller budget than i hoped of 400 pounds, my flight isn't until the 15th of September so realistically i think i will have to move it forward when i run out of money. I am traveling with a friend for the first 3 weeks and then alone. How long do you think i could make my budget stretch, where should i go, and will it be very wet at thi ...

Viewed 2,108 times, with 1 reply.

Savannakhet

Posted by bada on 28/6/2006 at 09:10

i would like to download a street map of savannakhet can anyone tell me where to download from thank you ...

Viewed 2,521 times, with no replies.

Border Crossing: Laos - Cambodia / VISA

Posted by MILKDOG on 24/6/2006 at 04:24

Hi, Can someone please tell me which town is the border crossing from Laos to Cambodia (I will be finishing my Laos trip around the 4 Thousand Islands). Also, my Laos visa will be valid for 2 weeks, how can I extend this?? Many thanks Milk ...

Viewed 4,913 times, with 2 replies.

Question About Laos Weather and Trip Detail

Posted by kgrayson on 22/6/2006 at 11:43

We are new to this site. We looked to see if our answer was already posted, but there is a lot to look through. We have only 2 1/2 weeks and want to go to Laos from mid August to early Sept. We plan to enter through Thailand to Huay Xai and go to Luang Prabang. Two questions: 1) How's the weather? We know its the rainy season, but how bad is it? Is it worth the trip this time of year? 2) Any thoughts on what kind of boat to take? There are slow boats and fast boats. thanks fo ...

Viewed 5,244 times, with 2 replies.

FIFA World Cup 2006 in Vientiane

Posted by azawaza on 18/6/2006 at 22:21

For all you soccer/football fans - here's a tip: the only place in Vientiane to see all games with English commentary is The Spirit House Bar & Restarant, located along the Mekong river, about 500m from town center. And as far as I could gather from various forums and messageboards, you can't get it in English in Thailand at all...). Check their website http://www.thespirithouselaos.com for map. They have a huge screen, too! ...

Viewed 2,172 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.