Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

ideas for a 3 week trip to laos

Posted by angela_dolan1 on 5/7/2006 at 04:23

Hello! I'm flying into bangkok on the 13th of July and plan to go to laos for 3 weeks. I'd like to take in the north and south ... would this be possible? What would the weather be like? Any ideas for itineraries would be much appreciated! Cheers Angela ...

Read the full post.

Weather in December

Posted by messej01 on 4/7/2006 at 17:20

We are planning on travelling through Laos from the end of December through January and just saw that average temperatures are only 10 - 20 degrees. I know this is peak time over there but I was hoping to do the tubing and white water rafting but 20 degrees is pretty cold (by Aussie standards). Did I get the temps wrong? Thanks Julie ...

Read the full post.

Limited buget

Posted by Louie on 30/6/2006 at 11:18

Hi, i am a volunteer teacher in Thailand. I plan to travel up to Chaig Mai around the 12th of July, then i would like to travel around Lao. However i have a much smaller budget than i hoped of 400 pounds, my flight isn't until the 15th of September so realistically i think i will have to move it forward when i run out of money. I am traveling with a friend for the first 3 weeks and then alone. How long do you think i could make my budget stretch, where should i go, and will it be very wet at thi ...

Read the full post.

Savannakhet

Posted by bada on 28/6/2006 at 09:10

i would like to download a street map of savannakhet can anyone tell me where to download from thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,335 times, with no replies.

Border Crossing: Laos - Cambodia / VISA

Posted by MILKDOG on 24/6/2006 at 04:24

Hi, Can someone please tell me which town is the border crossing from Laos to Cambodia (I will be finishing my Laos trip around the 4 Thousand Islands). Also, my Laos visa will be valid for 2 weeks, how can I extend this?? Many thanks Milk ...

Read the full post.

Question About Laos Weather and Trip Detail

Posted by kgrayson on 22/6/2006 at 11:43

We are new to this site. We looked to see if our answer was already posted, but there is a lot to look through. We have only 2 1/2 weeks and want to go to Laos from mid August to early Sept. We plan to enter through Thailand to Huay Xai and go to Luang Prabang. Two questions: 1) How's the weather? We know its the rainy season, but how bad is it? Is it worth the trip this time of year? 2) Any thoughts on what kind of boat to take? There are slow boats and fast boats. thanks fo ...

Read the full post.

FIFA World Cup 2006 in Vientiane

Posted by azawaza on 18/6/2006 at 22:21

For all you soccer/football fans - here's a tip: the only place in Vientiane to see all games with English commentary is The Spirit House Bar & Restarant, located along the Mekong river, about 500m from town center. And as far as I could gather from various forums and messageboards, you can't get it in English in Thailand at all...). Check their website http://www.thespirithouselaos.com for map. They have a huge screen, too! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,970 times, with no replies.

American Missing in Xieng Kok

Posted by somsai on 8/4/2006 at 18:04

An American citizen is missing in Laos. He was last seen on March, 13, 2006 in Xieng Kok, Luang Namtha Province. The US Embassy in Laos is looking for any information regarding his whereabouts, or incidents involving him that may have occured. If you were in the Xieng Kok area from about March 10 onward, please visit the US Embassy website for more information. A link on the front page of the website will open up a MSWord document with further information, including his name, and a recent pho ...

Read the full post.

Wheather Northern Laos

Posted by Danka on 15/5/2006 at 01:19

We are going on a 3-month trip to South East Asia from end of August until end of November and we want to spend about 2 weeks between Luang Prabang and Vientiane. Our preferred route would take us there in the second half of September but we could also try to squeeze it in some time in late October/early November. Would that mean a lot less rain and easier travel? By the way, I love your website and I have recommended it to loads of people. Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

LAOS FROM THAILAND

Posted by dmattiello on 26/4/2006 at 17:58

Hy everybody This summer I will go with some friend to Bangkok and from there we would like to go to Laos. We have no so much time, so we would like to go directly to Luang Prabang, I think that there's a flight with Bangkok Airways from Bangkok. Is it possible to get visa from Bangkok? How much? In Laos we'll have about 10 days to spend, where is better to go from Luang Prabang? What is better to do: treking, rafting, visit some city.... Thank you in advance Diego ...

Read the full post.

Chiang Khong to Huay Xai....visas

Posted by howitsdone on 27/5/2006 at 00:28

I have heard mixed messages about needing a visa ahead of time to make this crossing and get into loas. Do you need a visa prior to entry? Can you get one at the border crossing? Or can you get one in Chiang Mai? ...

Read the full post.

Traveling via the river route in June

Posted by Katzman on 24/5/2006 at 22:23

Hi all, I'm going to go to Luang Prabang from Huay Xai in mid-June and I wonder if the monsoon is going to prevent the slowboats from travelling via this route? Has that happened before? Guess i am abit paranoid after watching news of the floods in Northern Thailand. ...

Read the full post.

road terrorists???

Posted by katyleigh8 on 12/6/2006 at 12:43

I'm 2 days away from my trip and I'm really worried about traveling in Laos. I want to see the countryside and get out of the cities but I've heard that roda travel can be very dangerous, especially between Vientiane and Luang Prabang. Does anyone know if this is true or I'm just panicking for nothing?? What's the safest way to travel the countryside in Laos?? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Loas in the summer

Posted by Globetrotter23 on 13/6/2006 at 16:03

I would like to go for a short trip to loas at the end of this month. Is this a terrible time to go? Also, what can i expect to do during this season. I have five days. Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

from tad fane to tad lo?

Posted by bonbongirl on 26/5/2006 at 16:20

tad fane and tad lo both seem like lovely places, so i wanted to see both (and splurge on a night at the tad fane hotel, 25$ internet booking seems fair enough)... (also, after reading red ant egg soup i'm intrigued...!) is it possible to get some form of transport from one to the other or do i have to go through pakse? or alternatively, where could i go to from tad fane on the boloven plateau that's interesting and not too far? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,041 times, with no replies.

cambodia to laos - phnom penh or siem reap?

Posted by bonbongirl on 25/5/2006 at 11:00

hey everyboy! i will be travelling around south east asia throughout july (am working in aceh, indonesia at the moment) and after having visited vientiane & luang prabang a couple of weeks back, i really want to visit the south, or at least part of it. since i also want to go through cambodia, i was thinking of going from there. from what i've understood i need to get the lao visa from phnom penh, which should take one day, so that's not a problem. the last thing i was wondering about i ...

Read the full post.

Price of slow boats from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang

Posted by simeone_8 on 15/5/2006 at 22:00

Has anyone done this and can shed some light on costs? Ive seen varying prices ranging from 15USD in the Lonely Planet SE Asia on a shoestring upto 215USD on a website for something called the Pak Ou boat staying at the Luangsay Lodge. Basically we are just wanting a boat that has a deck that you can sit out on with cover as it will be in Sept and most likely raining. Don't want to be stuck down in an engine room sucking exhaust fumes for 2 days. Also any recommendations on budget to middle ra ...

Read the full post.

Revised itinerary

Posted by marianwarren on 17/5/2006 at 16:29

Hi Somtam I have researched your original suggested itinenary and have decided on:- Huay Xai-Gibbon Experience-bus to Luang Nam Tha - Udomxai - day trip? to Muang La for hot springs - Udomxai - Nong Kiaow - Muang Ngoi - Nong Kiaow - boat down to Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - on to Southern Laos (you suggested Tha Khaek and Savannakhet as overnight stops) Pakse - Champassak and Si Phan Don - Stung Treng - Kratie - Kompong Cham - Phnom Penh. Most probably templed and caved out at th ...

Read the full post.

Siam Reap to Southern Laos

Posted by xtrinh on 15/5/2006 at 04:14

Hi, We plan to visit Southern Laos (Champasak and Don Khon) from Siam Reap, then return trip back to Cambodia . Can we easily rent a car (with driver) in Siam reap? As we are four pers, is Is it worth doing it rather than bus? How long will it take to Don Khon then to Champasak? How's the road? Thanks. XL ...

Read the full post.

Tubing in VV

Posted by kguinn on 14/5/2006 at 14:50

Heading out for my first trip to Asia in 3 days (!), planning on spending 6 weeks in Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand before I start school in malaysia. I'm planning to stop briefly in Vang Vieng, sounds like it would be fun for a few days, but I have what may be a silly sounding question.... What do people do with their possessions when they go tubing? I'm guessing it would be wise to take one's valuables along in a waterproof and secure daypack? Like i said, kind of a silly question, but the ...

Read the full post.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page