Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Combination tickets from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang - warning

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/4/2006 at 07:00

We just received the following from our Luang Prabang researcher: "I'm hearing quite a few stories of people who are buying combination tickets in Chiang Mai, for the boat trip (and accommodation) from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang who are often regretting the choice. Many feel let down by their accommodation, and while sometimes it is possible to upgrade the boat ticket to a more private one, the boats are often overcrowded, uncomfortable and overall they're not getting the expected experien ...

Read the full post.

Lao Visa On Arrival - Chong Mek

Posted by tails101 on 1/4/2006 at 22:33

Hi, Does anyone know if you can get a Lao visa upon arrival at Chong Mek (heading to Lao from Thailand). Having searched the web, there doesn't seem to be a definite answer, so was wondering if anyone knew for sure? Thanks in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Laos visa at Huay Xai?

Posted by lizzyp83 on 27/3/2006 at 19:57

hi guys, great site you have! i'm planning on going to Laos for a maximum of 2 weeks, can i get a visa for this at the Huay Xai border with thailand? or do i have to get one in bangkok? thanks a lot! ...

Read the full post.

Tat lo vs Tat Fan

Posted by bobalina on 26/3/2006 at 20:46

We have to decide which of these two falls we want to visit but are wondering if we can't stay at one and visit the other also? Is there any other accomodation at tat fan other than the tad fane resort as its out of our price range...any ideas welcomed thanks ...

Read the full post.

Online Reservations for Luang Prabang

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/3/2006 at 18:16

Just to let you know you're now able to make online reservations with a handful of places in Luang Prabang, Vientiane and Pakse. You can see the Luang Prabang places here -- it is just a few at the moment, thought we're hoping to be able to add more in the near future! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,955 times, with no replies.

Phouvao Mai Guesthouse-LUANG PRABANG

Posted by BUCKSBLOKE35 on 21/3/2006 at 04:45

Has anyone stayed here recently,is it worthwhile. ...

Read the full post.

THONGBAY GUESTHOUSE-luang prabang

Posted by BUCKSBLOKE35 on 14/3/2006 at 21:04

I have attempted to reserve accomadation at the thongbay guesthouse twice,once by e-mail and once using there online booking form.upto now i have recieved no reply,is the guesthouse still trading,if not can anyone recommend a similar place to stay,not expensive and bookable online for 4 nights at the end of april. ...

Read the full post.

Laos visa??

Posted by Adventurer on 31/1/2006 at 23:09

Hi; I'm looking for info about getting a 1 month visa for Laos. 1. What would be the best way to get one? 2. Where would I go? 3. How much? I will be arriving in Bangkok on a Fri. night leaving for other places in Thailand Sunday. I plan to stay in Thailand for a month then enter Laos from northern Thailand ( Chiang Khong). Any tips greatly appreciated, THANKS!! ...

Read the full post.

April time smoke Problem

Posted by jevs on 15/3/2006 at 20:01

I shall be visiting LuangP towards the end of April I note from an earlier post that theres a smoke problem due to to Farmers burning the fields. How bad is it at this time. Is it a viewing or a serious breathing difficulty problem. thanks Jevs ...

Read the full post.

Laos in late March/early April

Posted by Orbital on 14/3/2006 at 18:08

Hello travel fish. Apologies if this is a rerun question. I've got two or three weeks and I'd love to visit Laos, however I'm concerned about the weather and the smoke. I'm from Sydney where the weather can be hot and humid. I'm coping OK with Northern Thailand this week. However I've observed that the smoke obscures views to the point where I wish I was hear some other time when the views were clear. Is it much different in Laos? Much variation North/South Laos? If it's really much be ...

Read the full post.

Areas north of LPB - repost

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/3/2006 at 07:05

(I've moved this original post by celestine from the Sticky thread to here) We have been to Laos twice now.... LPB to Bolaven plateau. Bill is now interested in the area north of LPB. We are a little older than other backpackers..... light walking only... and the trek word worries Bill(he was 70 last week)... but he will walk around Hanoi for hours!!!! In the Bolaven Plateau we had a tuk tuk take us around but stayed three for four days at most places... Is there anything we can acce ...

Read the full post.

Getting from Ventiane to Luang Prabang

Posted by booradley on 8/3/2006 at 03:34

OK, this maybe be a silly question - but what is the best way to get from Ventiane to Luang Prabang? I've seen several posts advising against flying Laotian Airlines. I'm traveling to Laos week after next. Any advice is greatly appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Route 13

Posted by shanna on 23/2/2006 at 13:01

Can anyone tell me whether the road between Vientiane and Luang Prabang is still considered dangerous (as per Lonely Planet)? Thanks S ...

Read the full post.

Clothing

Posted by iwillfly525 on 24/2/2006 at 20:20

The travel books make the dress in Laos seem rather conservative. I have a couple questions on what it is really like because I thought the guide books for other countries have made the dress seem more conservative than it really was. Buy no means do I dress like a hooker and I always carry a long sleeve shirt with me that I put on when going into temples. I tend to wear skirts that come just past my knees. I have been told at temples in Thailand that I need to be in a skirt that goes to my ...

Read the full post.

£Sterling Travellers Chqs

Posted by jevs on 28/2/2006 at 20:53

I would like to know if its possible to change British Sterling (pounds) Travellers cheques in Luang Prabang. I am aware that the preference for notes is its own KIP or American Dollars, but I would save on the need to change to dollar TC's if it were possible to change Sterling also. thanks for any advice ...

Read the full post.

Getting from Luang Prabang to Vientiane in July

Posted by exacto on 12/2/2006 at 05:33

Hi. We'll be travelling from Luang Prabang to Vientiane in early July. How good are the roads? Should we plan to fly with Lao Aviation, or is the road trip, with a traditional stopover in Pak Beung, still possibly during the rainy season. Thanks, Mark ...

Read the full post.

Hongsa

Posted by bak83 on 21/2/2006 at 03:38

Can someone help me with Hongsa? As part of the river trip from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang, I want to stop over at Tha Suang (after the night in Pak Beng) and go up to Hongsa. Has anyone stayed in Hongsa? Any recommendations for a good place? Anyone you know who books arrangements for Hongsa? Can you arrange elephant rides on the spot? Thanks in advance for your help, cheers, Bernie. ...

Read the full post.

Travelling by boat in lao

Posted by sabaisabai on 23/1/2006 at 16:32

Whats the story with travelling by boat in Laos. I read a story a while ago where some travellers went all the way through laos from burma to Cambodia. But according to my Lonely Planet it says most of the boats do not run anymore. Can you hlp? ...

Read the full post.

Warning - Dodgy Laotian Bus Companies

Posted by ironmonkey on 16/2/2006 at 18:25

Hi....I originally wrote the following email on 9 August 2004 to friends a couple of days after the event. At the time, I was angry and somewhat traumatised by the experience. I now bare no ill feeling against the Laotians and I'm actually thankful for the experience. Its what travelling is all about. Where shall I begin....take some time to read this.... Remember Em and I had a 24 hour bus journey between Laos and Vietnam? Vientienne to Hue, (perhaps the distance between glasgow and plym ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,400 times, with no replies.

Laos/Vietnam border Xings

Posted by aussieboonmar on 13/2/2006 at 09:50

G'day, just want to know if i can obtain a Vietnamese visa at the Phonsavan Province/Vietnamese border or is it best to obtain from Luang Prabang/Vientiane. Is this border xing a safe way to enter Vietnam on the way to Hanoi. Have read conflicting reports on other web sites. Another option i am considering is crossing over into Vietnam from Hua Phan Province. The same questions above apply to this border xing. Has anyone passed through either of these xings lately? Any info greatly appreci ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,400 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page