Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Main prangs at Wat Arun closing to visitors starting Sept. 24

Posted by DLuek on 19/9/2013 at 21:04

Just got word from a group of professional Thai tour guides that the main prangs at Bangkok's Wat Arun will be closing to visitors starting Sept. 24 due to a large scale restoration. Apparently the giant brick base is 'eroding', and there are concerns that the prang could eventually topple if nothing if done. This is a major undertaking -- they're saying up to three years before it reopens. Visitors will still be able to peep the prangs from a distance; they just can't climb up them. The ubosot ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,386 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 22/9/2013 at 21:28

train tickets?

Posted by pirmelenge on 21/9/2013 at 00:42

Hi! I'm wondering if its better to buy train tickets in advance from a travel agent/website or just show up at the station the day of travel? I'll be traveling a popular route - Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Thanks for any info! Molly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,056 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by pirmelenge on 21/9/2013 at 12:22

Itinerary ideas?? - Bangkok to Singapore over 3 weeks...

Posted by carlw87 on 17/9/2013 at 02:31

Hi guys. I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and see if anyone had any extra tips for locations to get to during my 3 weeks in Southeast Asia. I have noted the obvious and some not so obvious places to go on my trip but wondered if anyone could add a few 'travellers secrets', little gems which only you guys know about! Any information will be gratefully received as this is my first time backpacking! Cheers! Carl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,613 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 18/9/2013 at 19:58

Sangkhlaburi - Mon Bridge collapse - update?

Posted by altmtl on 16/9/2013 at 17:12

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-from-news/362198/mon-bridge-collapse-heavy-rain-strong-current Can anyone give me an update on this? Is the bridge being repaired? thx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,633 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by altmtl on 18/9/2013 at 03:19

Thailand in Novemeber ?

Posted by JinkStudio on 25/8/2013 at 09:29

Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning a trip around SEA for 5/6 months starting in November. Initially we thought we would start in Thailand,but after having done some research on the weather in Thailand at that time it seems that it might not be the best time to go? We are open to experience all the different things Thailand has to offer (not the seedy) but we would really like to spend a good week or two in a place that is islandy and with nice beaches etc but not too touristy either. Are ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,680 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by altmtl on 17/9/2013 at 19:06

Arriving late in Thailand! Advice?

Posted by crystalrsh on 13/9/2013 at 14:15

I am booking my flight today and the one I prefer has a short layover but I will be arriving in Thailand at midnight. I am a solo female traveler and I just want to be careful since I will be traveling alone. I've read its not the best idea to travel alone at night but my hostel is 20-30 minutes away from the airport. Is it safe to travel in a taxi at night from the airport to a nearby hostel? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,872 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 16/9/2013 at 08:39

CNX-DMK-REP flight dilemma

Posted by mikefly on 14/9/2013 at 22:28

Hi, I need help! I am in process of booking internal flights for my first big family trip. I am travelling with my partner and our 10 month old baby. We'll likely have one checked bag. Itinerary at the bottom of this post. Among the flights I'm booking are CNX-REP on Nov 18 AirAsia has a great flight leaving DMK-REP at 10:20am, but I need to get to DMK first! NokAir has a flight CNX-DMK, arriving at 8:50am Is 90 minutes enough to deplane, pick up luggage, clear customs - recheck-in etc? Is t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,860 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by mikefly on 16/9/2013 at 07:37

Thailand trip october weather

Posted by samdar on 30/8/2013 at 06:54

Hi all My gf and I are going to Thailand between the 8th and 27th October 2013. We will be in Bangkok and Chang mai till the 16th then samui/phangan till the 25th. We are aware its monsoon season and expect rain what we would like to know is will there be enough dry spells and sun to sunbathe whilst on the islands. I know you can't predict the weather. I have spent some time in tropical climate's before where it might rain heavy for an hour or two but be pretty good otherwise and this would be f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,916 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by samdar on 15/9/2013 at 07:59

Details on closure of northern Thailand train line

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2013 at 02:44

We've just published a wrap on the situation regarding the closure of a 250km stretch of Thailand's northern railway for repairs. In summary the section between Sila At (in Uttaradit province) and Chiang Mai is closed from tomorrow (Sept 16) till (at least) November 1. The railways are still flogging thru tickets though -- you'll just do the last stretch by bus. You can read the full post here. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,995 times, with no replies.

Let me buy you lunch

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/9/2013 at 07:11

All you need to do is tell me where the waterfall is at the top of our Facebook page. Easy! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,756 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by Geer1 on 12/9/2013 at 23:13

Bangkok- Chiang Mai - Septemeber - November

Posted by juliette13 on 11/9/2013 at 07:58

Hi all! Just a quick post for anyone like myself who had planned to travel to Chiang Mai by train during september - November I have recieved an email from the train company that there will be engineering works being done which means services are cancelled : The State Railwayof Thailand (SRT) has maintenance plan for the Northern Line railroad tracksbetween Sila-Art station to Chiang Mai. As the result , SRThas stop train services from Bangkok Chiang Mai for Train No.1 and 13 fromSept ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,984 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by DLuek on 12/9/2013 at 19:37

Ultimate Thailand tour with Ultimate Oz

Posted by Proctec on 11/9/2013 at 11:05

Hi, I am a 31 year old female travelling to Thailand for the first time on 7th October and I am a bit nervous as I am travelling on my own. I am debating booking the Ultimate Thailand tour with UltimateOz as it looks like it covers quite a few of the places I am keen on going too. I was wondering if anyone had done this tour and had any comments about it? I have heard that it is not necessary to book a tour, however I am a bit freaked out at the prospect of finding my own way around at the star ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,780 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 12/9/2013 at 18:54

Where can I find a good machete in Bangkok?

Posted by daydreamfarmer on 10/9/2013 at 14:01

I'm looking for the heavy duty kind you see those guys using out in the bush (the kind that can take down small trees) not those whimpy butter knife things you find at home. Is there any place in Bangkok worth checking out? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,547 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by sayadian on 12/9/2013 at 10:14

2 weeks between september and october

Posted by carpa on 11/9/2013 at 18:24

Hi there guys, We're a couple of workaholics that are almost boarding to Thailand without a definite destination. We'll be very glad if you could help us on this particular period of the year. As I've seen on your weather chart the best zones are between Chiang Mai and Koh Samui. Correct me if I'm wrong! Can you please advice me for some activities up in the north and down in the in the islands? If it is a good option... otherwise we are glad if you suggest some of your own. Don't mind about ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,327 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by carpa on 12/9/2013 at 09:13

First time travellers Bangkok

Posted by rudder6 on 11/9/2013 at 15:43

Hi all! My girlfriend and i are planning a 6 month trip October next year visiting Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore. We are just in the early stages of researching everything and planning first stage of trip ie Flights from Glasgow to Bangkok and accommodation. We are planning on staying in Bangkok for 3 nights before moving on our budget we are looking to spend in £50 a day. Any information on which part is best to stay, hotels and best way to travel from airport to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,898 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 11/9/2013 at 20:45

Confusion with Thai Visa's!!

Posted by KoalaBeans on 8/9/2013 at 11:34

Hi everyone My girlfriend and I are planning our first ever trip around the world and are looking for some advice on Visa's... I guess these questions pop up alot but we cannot find the answers we are looking for! The first part of our trip consists of approximately 4 months in Asia... We fly into Bangkok on 3rd November and are intending to head up north for 14 days through Chiang Mai and into Laos (3-5 days) , Vietnam (3 weeks) and Cambodia (12 days) then back overland into Thailand as we ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,517 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by anderslewis on 11/9/2013 at 05:01

A month in southern Thailand

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/8/2013 at 19:49

Hi all, Am just kicking off my Southern Thai mainland trip which has me covering stuff for the four weeks. If anyone has any suggestions on destinations, places to stay etc they'd like to see considered for review, please let me know. I'll be doing as much as possible by train and plan to cover from Ratchaburi right down to Narathiwat though will be skipping the Andaman Coast spots. Very very much looking forward to getting back to Bang Saphan Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,856 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 6/9/2013 at 12:11

Bicycles in Bangkok-MRT

Posted by bigmig on 2/9/2013 at 19:11

I will visit Thailand in October and will bring my bicycle with me.I will do a bike trip first up north, then to the south. My hotel in Bangkok is in chinatown for the first 2 nights because i will catch the train to Ayutthaya for the start of my bike trip. Has anyone had any success on bringing a bike( in a bike bag) on the MRT or does anyone know roughly what a taxi to chinatown( near Hua Lamphong) should cost from the airport? I know they don't allow bicycles on the MRT, i was hoping by kee ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,695 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 4/9/2013 at 10:40

Bangkok to Chiang Mai NYE

Posted by adammont on 28/8/2013 at 05:20

Hi, Me and my girlfriend are arriving for our second visit to Thailand on 30th December at around 7am. We are looking to head up to Chiang Mai for New Years Eve... so we are a bit short on time. We have thought about heading into bangkok for the day and getting the overnight train to Chiang Mai or simply booking a flight onwards from Bangkok to Chiang Mai a few hours after we land (would book in advance as busy times etc) We would probably prefer to get the overnight sleeper as we enjoyed t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,133 times, with 22 replies. Last reply by fondo on 2/9/2013 at 03:48

Koh Tao SCUBA - do you have any negotiating advice?

Posted by adaminasia on 29/8/2013 at 03:23

Hi, Has anyone who has done the 3.5 day PADI/SSI introductory SCUBA course in Koh Tao had any luck negotiating prices? I'd like to book an operator ahead of time if possible, to ensure I get someone reputable, max of 4 students per instructor, etc ... but I'm not sure how easy it is to do that over email? I emailed 3 operators already and got 3 different prices - some of which include accommodation. I wasn't sure if the prices quoted already build in some negotiating room or not. Any thoug ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,680 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by adaminasia on 2/9/2013 at 01:34

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page