Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

2 weeks between september and october

Posted by carpa on 11/9/2013 at 18:24

Hi there guys, We're a couple of workaholics that are almost boarding to Thailand without a definite destination. We'll be very glad if you could help us on this particular period of the year. As I've seen on your weather chart the best zones are between Chiang Mai and Koh Samui. Correct me if I'm wrong! Can you please advice me for some activities up in the north and down in the in the islands? If it is a good option... otherwise we are glad if you suggest some of your own. Don't mind about ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,356 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by carpa on 12/9/2013 at 09:13

First time travellers Bangkok

Posted by rudder6 on 11/9/2013 at 15:43

Hi all! My girlfriend and i are planning a 6 month trip October next year visiting Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore. We are just in the early stages of researching everything and planning first stage of trip ie Flights from Glasgow to Bangkok and accommodation. We are planning on staying in Bangkok for 3 nights before moving on our budget we are looking to spend in £50 a day. Any information on which part is best to stay, hotels and best way to travel from airport to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,931 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 11/9/2013 at 20:45

Confusion with Thai Visa's!!

Posted by KoalaBeans on 8/9/2013 at 11:34

Hi everyone My girlfriend and I are planning our first ever trip around the world and are looking for some advice on Visa's... I guess these questions pop up alot but we cannot find the answers we are looking for! The first part of our trip consists of approximately 4 months in Asia... We fly into Bangkok on 3rd November and are intending to head up north for 14 days through Chiang Mai and into Laos (3-5 days) , Vietnam (3 weeks) and Cambodia (12 days) then back overland into Thailand as we ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,617 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by anderslewis on 11/9/2013 at 05:01

A month in southern Thailand

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/8/2013 at 19:49

Hi all, Am just kicking off my Southern Thai mainland trip which has me covering stuff for the four weeks. If anyone has any suggestions on destinations, places to stay etc they'd like to see considered for review, please let me know. I'll be doing as much as possible by train and plan to cover from Ratchaburi right down to Narathiwat though will be skipping the Andaman Coast spots. Very very much looking forward to getting back to Bang Saphan Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,894 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 6/9/2013 at 12:11

Bicycles in Bangkok-MRT

Posted by bigmig on 2/9/2013 at 19:11

I will visit Thailand in October and will bring my bicycle with me.I will do a bike trip first up north, then to the south. My hotel in Bangkok is in chinatown for the first 2 nights because i will catch the train to Ayutthaya for the start of my bike trip. Has anyone had any success on bringing a bike( in a bike bag) on the MRT or does anyone know roughly what a taxi to chinatown( near Hua Lamphong) should cost from the airport? I know they don't allow bicycles on the MRT, i was hoping by kee ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,801 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 4/9/2013 at 10:40

Bangkok to Chiang Mai NYE

Posted by adammont on 28/8/2013 at 05:20

Hi, Me and my girlfriend are arriving for our second visit to Thailand on 30th December at around 7am. We are looking to head up to Chiang Mai for New Years Eve... so we are a bit short on time. We have thought about heading into bangkok for the day and getting the overnight train to Chiang Mai or simply booking a flight onwards from Bangkok to Chiang Mai a few hours after we land (would book in advance as busy times etc) We would probably prefer to get the overnight sleeper as we enjoyed t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,194 times, with 22 replies. Last reply by fondo on 2/9/2013 at 03:48

Koh Tao SCUBA - do you have any negotiating advice?

Posted by adaminasia on 29/8/2013 at 03:23

Hi, Has anyone who has done the 3.5 day PADI/SSI introductory SCUBA course in Koh Tao had any luck negotiating prices? I'd like to book an operator ahead of time if possible, to ensure I get someone reputable, max of 4 students per instructor, etc ... but I'm not sure how easy it is to do that over email? I emailed 3 operators already and got 3 different prices - some of which include accommodation. I wasn't sure if the prices quoted already build in some negotiating room or not. Any thoug ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,713 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by adaminasia on 2/9/2013 at 01:34

Rock Climbing In Thailand

Posted by annifrid23 on 16/9/2011 at 05:02

Hello Everyone! I was hoping to possibly do some rock climbing while I'm in Thailand. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go and any thoughts for individuals going climbing? Is it hard to find people to climb with? Any assistance is much appreciated! Cheers, Anni ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,579 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by davo29 on 1/9/2013 at 02:39

Tourist mauled at Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/8/2013 at 19:02

Title says it all really. Tourist lucky to be alive. That place so needs to be shutdown. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2407513/Student-19-mauled-400lb-tiger-Thailand-popular-tourist-attraction.html ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,037 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by Geer1 on 31/8/2013 at 11:37

Thai bar fight

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 28/8/2013 at 19:50

BANGKOK (AFP) - A British kickboxer on Wednesday pleaded guilty to murdering a former US Marine during a bar fight in Thailand, his lawyer said, reversing his previous plea. Prosecutors allege Lee Aldhouse stabbed to death 23-year-old Dashawn Longfellow -- who was in Phuket after sustaining a combat injury in Afghanistan -- in a 2010 fight in the tourist resort of Phuket. Aldhouse, known in Phuket by his ring name "The Pitbull", fled to his home country after the incident and become ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,042 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 30/8/2013 at 11:31

Chiang Mai Lantern festival info and hotel advice

Posted by joeg on 28/8/2013 at 10:22

My girlfriend and I are going to be in Thailand from November 1st to the 21st and she has always wanted to see the lanterns in the sky. I have been researching and it seems as if theres a festival but on the 23rd but that its for foreigners. I am just wondering if its still possible to be able to catch smaller ceremonies and if anyone has done that could help me out with information on how to do this it would greatly be appreciated. Also I was wondering if there was any hotels close to where ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,023 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Geer1 on 29/8/2013 at 10:24

Best place to stay on/near Khaosan Road?

Posted by drewebear on 14/8/2013 at 08:14

Hi All, I'll be landing in Bangkok early December (in the evening) and I'm a bit stumped at where to stay because of the amount of choice! After doing a bit of research, I'm leaning towards Wild Orchid Villa but the reviews are very 50/50. I've searched Agoda but I'd love to know about any gem's people might know of? I'd want to stay somewhere a bit above average for the first couple of nights just so I can adjust to my surroundings. Saying that, I do not want to be paying 1,500tbh a room; I'm ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,808 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by adammont on 29/8/2013 at 09:44

Island/beach starting tomorrow - desperately seeking advice!

Posted by saramac on 28/8/2013 at 20:39

Hi everyone - I am currently in Siem Reap and ready to leave TOMORROW (nothing like last minute "planning"....) and head for a beach, relaxed getaway until about September 1. I've done too much research, and the more I do the less clear I get, and - I'm leaving tomorrow! So, I'm really desperate for some help! I have no idea where to go/how to get there... I know I've posted in the Thailand forum, but am up for anything (except Vietnam, I can't get a visa in time). I will likely fl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,124 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 28/8/2013 at 21:16

Stuck in Chumphon due to unrest in the south

Posted by afarewell2barms on 28/8/2013 at 00:06

Me and my girlfriend are currently attempting the old UK to Oz overland route. Our latest obstacle is that our train from Chumphon (Thailand) to Butterworth (Malyasia) has been cancelled due to unrest in the Southern provinces... No one is able to tell us when the trains will be running again, or whether we would be able to get a ticket without a few days advance reservation... It's possible that trains will all be running again tomorrow, and we will be able to get a ticket for same day - ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,920 times, with 25 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 28/8/2013 at 11:55

Swing Festival in an Akha village, Chiangrai 29 Aug - 1 Sept 2013

Posted by wanderingcat on 26/8/2013 at 09:51

For anyone who happens to be in the area & interested in visiting a hilltribe village during a festival... Ban Apa, an Akha village in Chiangrai province, will be holding their Swing Festival celebrations from 29 August to 1 September 2013. This is held roughly 4 months after the first rice is planted & most of the hard work of preparing the land, planting, & weeding is over. Here is a video filmed years ago in this village showing the construction of the swing & the rituals sur ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,598 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/8/2013 at 10:45

Last Two Issues

Posted by Gearyd on 28/8/2013 at 07:16

Hi! First time traveling to Thailand. Female, young 20s. Have 15 days. Researched and mapped it out - and I know there have been threads on these two subjects before - however, I haven't found what I need. Chiang Mai - I have three open days. I'm a hiker - steeper the better. I'd love to ride an elephant. I'm on a 100 - 150 USD $ budget for this activity. Anyone have a favorite 2-3 day trekking company? I want to learn to dive on Ko Tao . Ideally I'd hit Ko Phagan for the half-moon par ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,112 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by LeonardCohen1 on 28/8/2013 at 08:47

Drugs being planted & passports being stolen?

Posted by roro1990 on 22/8/2013 at 09:36

Hi, one of my main worries about Thailand (I'm heading there alone) is the thought that people may plant drugs on me. I know this might sound ridiculously paranoid, but with the drug penalties being so severe in Thailand this would be my worst nightmare. I don't do drugs at home but I've heard stories of it happening to people that locals or even police may plant drugs on people. Also, I've heard of some hostels taking peoples passports and then demanding money when tourists ask for their passpo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,261 times, with 25 replies. Last reply by sayadian on 27/8/2013 at 12:04

Traveling from Pai to Ko Samui

Posted by Bram89 on 12/7/2013 at 05:15

Hi everyone, I'm planning my holiday in Thailand, but I want some advise. What's the best way to travel from Pai to Ko Samui? Better to fly from Pai to Chiang Mai? Or take a bus? Or go to another village? We don't want to spend too much time, so we can spend some more money. Kind regards, Bram ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,787 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Bram89 on 27/8/2013 at 05:32

Guns in Thailand

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/8/2013 at 11:19

So saw a guy shot in the head and killed right in front of Prachuap Khiri Khan train station tonight. Apparently some gang dispute (the motorbike chase had run past us earlier), the guy killed was a kid -- maybe 18-22ish. Right now I'm up for anyone to explain why guns are so freely available in Thailand. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,773 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 26/8/2013 at 22:37

Review my month-long itinerary?

Posted by karibou on 24/8/2013 at 19:46

I'm visiting Thailand for the first time next year and would love feedback on my itinerary. Travelfish (including this great forum) drove many of my choices. To narrow my destinations to a manageable number, I'm sticking with central and southern Thailand on this month-long trip, leaving the rest for another time. As a middle-aged woman traveling alone on a limited budget, carefully selected lodging can make a huge difference in my enjoyment. In some cases I've shaped this trip around guesthous ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,918 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 26/8/2013 at 21:08

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page