Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Help with first time trip to Thailand, getting rather desperate :(

Posted by allykat on 7/12/2009 at 21:46

Hi, I am travelling to Thailand from Australia with a 4 day stop in Singapore. I will be flying into Bkk and I am travelling with my boyfriend who has never been out of Australia. I was thinking of going to Koh Chang (or one of the islands around there) but I would be open for any suggestions. We would be looking for a nice relaxing break as we have both been working way to hard over the festive season. Also as we are both chefs are there any good schools any one can suggest. Also we are on a f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,184 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by allykat on 19/12/2009 at 07:30

First time in Thailand...HELP!

Posted by Janaver on 12/12/2009 at 02:49

Hi, I just booked my flights to Bangkok, arriving on 12 Feb, at 12.00 (lunch) and returning back home on 2 March. I need to be in Chiang Mai from 14 to 26 Feb. I would prefer to travel to Chiang Mai by train. So my plan was to take a sleeper train on the same day (12th), arrive in CM in the morning on the 13th or stay a night in Bangkok and travel to CM the next day. I am not bringing any clothes with me except what I will wear so I'll need to go to some market to buy something. T ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,537 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Janaver on 18/12/2009 at 19:58

Calling mobile or cell phones in Kanchanaburi

Posted by husqvarna on 14/12/2009 at 15:03

I hope someone can help me with a particularly frustrating challenge. I am trying to call a tour company (Toi's Tours) in Kanchanaburi from my home in the US. The phone number on their website in 081 856 5523. When I call it, I get a recording saying that "this number is not assigned." Their fax number, 034 514 209 gives me a fax tone when I call it, but I don't have access to a reasonably inexpensive international fax machine. I tried emailing then and have gotten no response back yet. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,197 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by husqvarna on 18/12/2009 at 13:09

Bangkok to Surat Thani

Posted by greenman42 on 17/12/2009 at 14:14

I'm in Bangkok at the moment, and tommorrow I want to make a move to the islands. What is the best way of doing this without flying? I've spent too much time in planes and airports. I'm staying just off Khoa San Rd, and am thinking of the sleeper train. Please help with fares(tuk tuk,taxi, train), departure times, and travel times. I don't want to use a Khoa san rd travel agent if I can help it, too many horror stories. I also don't want to be ripped off by the drivers, I still look too well k ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,323 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by greenman42 on 18/12/2009 at 10:06

Personal safety in Kanchanaburi

Posted by husqvarna on 9/12/2009 at 08:34

As a middle-aged caucasian non-Thai speaking man traveling from BKK to Kanchanaburi, my relatives (who know Thailand) have expressed concern about me going on my own rather than on a commercial tour. I have read the (Roll Your Own in Kanchanaburi)information. I do not want to be "targeted" by locals that might not have the best intentions or to be seen as a farang looking for little boys or girls (I am definitely not!!!) Is there any substance to my relatives concerns? I plan on spending ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,683 times, with 26 replies. Last reply by husqvarna on 18/12/2009 at 02:22

Car or minivan from Chiang Mai to Soppong?

Posted by Louw on 16/12/2009 at 18:22

Hi, What is better, hiring a car to do the 4hour drive from Chiang Mai to Soppong or just taking the minivan? If you hire a car, how does it work? do you leave the car in Soppong and then just get another one back to C/M. Like a one-way thing. Or do you have to pay for the entire time you're in Soppong? Does anyone have prices/places for renting a car in Chiang Mai? thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,531 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by boleslav on 17/12/2009 at 18:05

Good Weather in September?

Posted by martin1989 on 15/12/2009 at 23:14

The girlfriend and I will find ourselves in Thailand in Mid-late September in the summer due to work/uni time constraints. I know this is not the time for sun kissed beaches but does anyone have experience of a relaxing beach region with half decent weather? Had a look at the weather pages but wasnt too sure how the rainfall is going to mount up ie short storms then clear skies or all day downpours! Does not necessarily have to be in thailand, anywhere in SE. Asia would be mega appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,689 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by shaydan_01 on 17/12/2009 at 12:33

Russada Pier in Phuket town to Mai Khao beach?

Posted by Louw on 17/12/2009 at 01:46

Goeie dag almal! Good day everybody! What is the best and cheapest way to get to Mai Khao beach from the Russada pier. Its our 1st time in Thailand. Dont want to pay 4 a taxi... Any direct transport? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,105 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Louw on 17/12/2009 at 11:47

Langham Place Samui at Lamai Beach

Posted by lho on 4/12/2009 at 06:53

Does anyone have experience with this new resort? Expedia shows 50% discount on this 5-star hotel. Just wondering if it's on a nice stretch of the beach in Lamai and if anyone has had experience with it. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,551 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by m__arta on 17/12/2009 at 05:26

Ang Thong marine park from Ko Tao or Phangan

Posted by bay68 on 16/12/2009 at 04:54

Everyone on here seems to be so knowledgeable, so I am hoping you can help. Is it possible to do a day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park from Ko Tao or Ko Phangan? I can find numerous day trips from Ko Samui but nothing from Tao or Phangan. Is this because of distance/cost or am I just looking in the wrong place?! If it is possible who can I book with? Thanks so much ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,674 times, with no replies.

Ayutthaya to Bangkok Airport

Posted by jojoba on 12/12/2009 at 08:33

Hi everyone I know there's been a recent post about travelling from Ayutthaya to Bangkok, but I think my question is slight different. Is there any transportation directly from Ayutthaya to Bangkok Airport? And if so, how long will it take? Or would it be better to go back to Bangkok, then catch a bus or something to Bangkok Airport? The reason I ask is that on the map, it seems like a more direct route (straight south) as opposed to going south west and then east again. Thanks for ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,995 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by billbevan01 on 15/12/2009 at 20:47

My Dream, Chiang Rai

Posted by billbevan01 on 15/12/2009 at 20:38

Hi, I've just returned from a week stay at the My Dream guesthouse near Chiang Rai. Something of a hidden gem in my humble opinion. I thought I'd share my views on it which I've posted on my travel blog. My Dream Walks from My Dream ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,597 times, with no replies.

Here is more info on Paradise lost Ko Kradan

Posted by boleslav on 15/12/2009 at 19:35

Just back from Paradise lost, spent a week there, loved it, it was not that easy to find much info, so hope this can help to others: The owner, Wally can be reached at +66-89 587 2409, either call him, the connection is bad sometimes or send him a text message, he does not have internet hooked up, so do not send him an email. Wally will reserve the space for and his reservation system is reliable(I booked in September for December stay,had our bungalow ready for us no problems. His resor ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,990 times, with no replies.

Trang aiport to Koh Ngai

Posted by jodie6104 on 14/12/2009 at 23:45

Does anyone know of a travel agent who I can book a transfer with from Trang airport to Koh Ngai. We arrive in at 4 pm. The resort I am staying at want to charge us 2500 baht for the two of us, but I think that this seems expensive. Thank you in advance for your help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,716 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by boleslav on 15/12/2009 at 18:50

Surin islands independently-how to arrange?

Posted by boleslav on 23/9/2009 at 02:50

Can not find too much information on this, so please bear with me. We are snorkelers and would like to spend few days on the Surin islands independently. The questions I have : 1/ how to arrange the transport (and where from) 2/ how to arrange the accommodation at the national park? If camping- do we need to reserve or can we just show up? 3/ How many days do you recommend to stay? 4/ What are the best snorkeling sites there and how do we get there from the accommodation? appreciate any ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,082 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by boleslav on 15/12/2009 at 18:45

Thailand Bus Strike!?

Posted by cheeco on 11/12/2009 at 22:23

Hello everyone, I am in Siem Reap right now and am looking to travel to Vientiane throught Thailand (SR-BK-Vientiane) this Sunday. Air tickets are just too pricey for us, and we don't have our Laos visas, so crossing into Laos from Cambodia isn't an option unless we go back to Phnom Penh to get a visa (not willing to do this). I went around to a few travel agencies today and one told me that there is a bus strike right now in Bangkok. He said that he wasn't going to sell me a ticket ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,165 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by cheeco on 15/12/2009 at 15:15

Asia Itinerary- Critique please!

Posted by sarandjer on 15/12/2009 at 05:19

Hi! I'd love some advice on my upcoming trip. I'm going with my husband for about 5 months, leaving next week! Originally our thought was to go to less places for longer periods of time. We really wanted to spend more time in India and steer further away from the very well travelled touristy areas. We would really like to spend a chunk of time doing some volunteer work in a smaller community (we're thinking India, but are open to suggestions). Somehow after talking to friends who have done the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,777 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by sirhalberd on 15/12/2009 at 09:52

need help with air asia booking

Posted by wcelest on 15/12/2009 at 00:59

im having no luck booking a flight with air asia online from the usa is there a contact number i could use or some other means i get kicked out every time i try. maybe i could just get a tix when i arrive at bkk feb 13 2010 for pnh thanks john ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,643 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Mangala on 15/12/2009 at 03:16

What to do in 11 days?

Posted by ringbearer on 10/12/2009 at 19:16

Hi I have a time share which will get me a week in January in Thailand. I intend staying an additional 4 days as well. Any suggestions as to where I should book the 7 days on the time share and then travel with the other 4 days? I love being near the sea with some but not too many tourist. A little shopping for the wife would get me in the good books too! Thanks in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,408 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by JulieSteal on 15/12/2009 at 00:54

Minibus from Phuket airport to Ko Lanta???

Posted by Louw on 13/12/2009 at 23:43

Guten Tag / สวัสดี / good day fellow travelers! We know there is a minibus service from Phuket town but is there one to Ko Lanta from the Phuket airport? We r arriving at 10:05, 9th Feb 2010 and would like to go directly to Ko Lanta without going to Phuket town. Or does anyone have other suggestions, except the ferries, to get there real quick and cheap? We emailed Lantainfo and they confirmed its 250baht to Ko Lanta from the bus terminal in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,601 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Louw on 14/12/2009 at 23:19

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page