Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Northern Thailand and Laos: itenerary advice

Posted by bellatrx on 6/10/2009 at 12:52

My boyfriend and I will be traveling through northern Thailand and Laos (with a side trip to Angkor Wat) for a month this Oct/Nov. We are in our late 20s and are excited about seeing cities, eating delicious food, wandering and hiking around, and getting to practice Thai (I can read s-l-o-w-l-y, and have been learning some vocab in preparation for the trip). Some combination of the awesome things that happen to be on the tourist trail ( Chiang Mai , Angkor Wat) and more off-trail things (Nan? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,533 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 6/10/2009 at 15:19

Thai Festivals

Posted by exacto on 6/10/2009 at 07:36

Here's a list of Thai holidays and festivals I put together a long time ago. Lots of the festivals and holidays follow the lunar calendar, so they won’t necessarily fall on the exact same day every year. During major holiday periods, like International New Year’s or the Songran Festival, all forms of transportation are booked solid, so plan ahead. You can also check the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) website to see if anything is on during your visit. It's at: http://www.tat. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,304 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 6/10/2009 at 12:38

Phuket Town

Posted by virusvaleria on 18/8/2009 at 13:35

i booked 3 nites in Phuket Twon during xmas. Any tips on what to see/do? and how to get over to Phi Phi Island from there (or other islands for that matter)? thanks heaps ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,655 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by virusvaleria on 6/10/2009 at 12:23

Koh Lanta - Merry Hut

Posted by alexlazarus on 5/10/2009 at 16:55

Hi All, Does anyone know if Lanta Merry Hut are still around? I've emailed numerous times and no reply - is it better to call? And are they trust worthy with reservation in advance? Also, does anyone have any experience of Red Snapper's new bungalows? They are set back fromthe beach in what looks like a field, but is described as a garden setting. they look nice, but i have no idea about the surroudings... Cheers in advance, A ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,947 times, with no replies.

koh samet lodgings with a child

Posted by lampyclip on 3/10/2009 at 21:18

HI - we will be in Samet for 5 days end oct and have a 6 yr old son so we are looking for hotel/guest house that is not in an area too lively at night, and with a safe beach for daytime sandcastle building. We also want a house/bungalow with a varanda or outside area so that when the monster goes to bed we can sit out and chill without disturbing him yet still be very very close. Budget no more than 2500Bht/night & we like 'typical' (not europeanised modern if you see what I mean!),, Can anybo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,046 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by lampyclip on 5/10/2009 at 02:32

Koh Lanta accommodation

Posted by lineborella on 3/10/2009 at 21:58

Me and my boyfriend are going to Koh Lanta start Nov. Looking for a place to stay but I´m getting quiet confused now browsing around all these opportunities. Budget: 1600-3000 THB What beach is the best? What resort/hotel/bungalow is the best? Any recommendations? We are looking for a place that is quiet, but not too quiet. Rather young people than too many children, nice bars and rest, sandy beach... Looking forward to receiving your recommendations. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,398 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by tezza on 4/10/2009 at 09:14

Views on Phimai Festival - itinerary help needed

Posted by RuthJ on 30/9/2009 at 22:07

Hello I feel a bit like a kid with all the sweeties! We're going to Thailand and I love it there (been many times to many places - it's my childhood nostalgic holiday place!) and there's just so many places I want to go - some I knew about some I've stumbled across on the internet whilst looking for things this time round. But I'm worried we're going to try and do too much and metaphorically make ourselves sick on too many sweets. So some itinerary help is needed please! Having read ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,354 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 3/10/2009 at 23:35

Bangkok internation airport to Ban Phe by taxi

Posted by Lizzie26 on 28/9/2009 at 18:20

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced, comfortable trip return from Bangkok international airport to ferry for Ko Samet? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,651 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by tezza on 2/10/2009 at 20:15

Mae Sot

Posted by syzafar on 10/4/2007 at 09:33

hi, anyone have any suggestions for place to stay in mae sot for 6 weeks? because of the long stay, it needs to be a little more than a mattress on the floor (so, not Guesthouse No. 4), but reasonably priced. thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,398 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by rinjani on 2/10/2009 at 14:42

Pattaya, yes or no?

Posted by greenman42 on 29/9/2009 at 18:27

Firstly, let me thank the Somtam's for this site. I only discovered it a week or two ago and already have learned so much useful information. I am planning my second trip to Thailand in Dec. My first was with two friends through Phuket, Phi Phi, Samui and Koh Panghan. I had planned to go on to Bangkok and Chang Mai, but ended up returning to Samui for another week. They went on. The thought of cities after islands and beaches did not appeal to me. This trip I'll be probably be travelling alon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,852 times, with 23 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 2/10/2009 at 12:07

full moon party dates?

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 2/10/2009 at 07:20

when are the exact dates for the FM party in the months of december and january? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,548 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jasonkim8486 on 2/10/2009 at 08:02

Bangkok to Ko Phangan

Posted by Andreph on 1/10/2009 at 02:12

I arrive in Bangkok at midnight on January 22nd I am want to check out the FMP on the 30th on Ko Phangan. According to the info I have gathered it is best to arrive 4-5 days before the party. To find accommodations, that being the case, should I just book a train when I arrive for the following night? Or should I take a day train down there. I want to the cheapest way possible. Also – traveling on a budget, looking for a bungalow, nothing fancy just a place to lock my bag, and a bed to sle ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,399 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 20:44

help! Landing in Thailand Oct 7......

Posted by AmandaDawn85 on 1/10/2009 at 00:03

I checked the weather pages and basically it seems like it's rainy everywhere in October.. is this true? Myself and my friend are landing in Bangkok and someone suggested taking a train to Laos right away and thus avoiding having to pay accomadation in Bangkok because you can sleep on the train. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go/stay during October do avoid rain? Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,010 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by tezza on 1/10/2009 at 10:53

Thai Rail Pass... Unlimited train use for 20 days

Posted by think87 on 1/10/2009 at 00:41

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Railpass.asp Anyone know if this is still valid? Can I seriously get unlimited train use for 3000 baht? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,009 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by think87 on 1/10/2009 at 00:49

Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya

Posted by Architeuthis on 30/9/2009 at 03:23

Hi there. I´m travelling Laos during Feb2009 going around LP and heading south to Vientiane and later to Nong Khai/Thailand. Further on I´m planning to slowly go across Thailand (by train) back to Bangkok taking a look at Ayyuthhaya on the way. What are your opinions about places which are on the way and worth taking a peek at? Please post your suggestions, anything from scenic landscape to great temples and everyday life... thanks A ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,017 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by exacto on 1/10/2009 at 00:13

Phang Nga Bay - best to visit from phuket or krabi?

Posted by jumpinjono on 28/7/2009 at 22:58

I am hoping to visit phang nga bay and see james bond island in febuary, my trip involves staying in phuket town and krabi (or near beach resort ). Ive read somewhere the day trips from krabi go to the west side of the bay and the trips from phuket visit the east. so i was wondering What is the best side of the bay to visit? Is it cheaper to take a day trip from Phuket town or Krabi? thanks jon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,194 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Andreph on 30/9/2009 at 22:18

Samet to Samui

Posted by greenman42 on 30/9/2009 at 05:23

Hi, I'm looking for advice on the most practical way of getting from Koh Chang or Koh Samet, to Koh Samui and Koh Phanghan. Is there a better way than back to Bangkok, bus/train to Chumpon/Surat Thani? I want to be on Phanghan for full moon/new year's eve. Will travelling be espescially difficult around 23/24 Dec? Lastly, what date should I look to get there to secure a room, as I will probably not be booking in advance? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,584 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by greenman42 on 30/9/2009 at 19:42

how crowded is 'crowded'?

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 29/9/2009 at 07:53

ill be in thailand from beginning of december to february. is this period really that crowded from what ive been reading? how about ko tao, ko samui, krabi, ko phi phi, similan islands and ko turatao? are these places more or less crowded? [im going to stay away from phuket] what are some great secluded beaches during this time period if i havnt already named them above? i also hear due to the recession there are alot less travelers? is this true? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,907 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by tezza on 30/9/2009 at 19:00

Koh Tao weather early December

Posted by Rosie_4783 on 29/9/2009 at 18:59

Hi All I will be travelling to the islands on December 1st and have five days to spend. I was hoping to spend a good bit of that time on Koh Tao, try my hand at diving etc but looking at the interactive weather map I'm not sure if this is feasible? Essentially if it rains for five days straight I'd be a bit peeved. What does everyone think? Does anyone have experience of Koh Tao at that time of year? Would I be better off sacking Koh Tao and heading straight to the Andaman coast inste ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,204 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Rosie_4783 on 30/9/2009 at 18:49

Limited stops in Thailand, where to go???

Posted by krazymary8 on 29/9/2009 at 12:53

Has anyone visited both areas and can you help recommend one over the other, whats they offer and what NEEDS to be experienced? (1) Ko Chang (east of Bangkok, near Trat) AND (2) Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan & Ko Tao (Gulf of Thailand) We are limited on the number of stops we can make and were wondering which stop to cut out. Any suggestions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,785 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tezza on 30/9/2009 at 18:25

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page