Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Money matters while in Thailand

Posted by momo82 on 29/8/2009 at 19:21

Hi there guys, I was wondering if you could help. I'm leaving for Thailand next Thursday and I'm trying to establish how much money I need for my stay. I'm going for 6 weeks and also hoping to visit Laos and Cambodia along the way. The real purpose of my trip is to really find myself (I know that sounds a bit corny) and I'm not into looking for girls etc. I plan maximising my whole trip to see as much of this beautiful country as possible. Initial plan is Bangkok for a few da ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,596 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 30/8/2009 at 09:56

choosing an island in Thailand?

Posted by damjanco on 17/8/2009 at 16:24

Hi everyone, We're a couple in the early thirties and going to Thailand this November. First we're going to Bangkok and then for 7-8 days on an island in the period 06-14 November. I did some research about on which island to go but i'm still stuck :) Of course good weather is a priority, and our other wishes are: 1. Relatively quiet island, no big-resort and no overdeveloped type of islands. 2. Not overcrowded beaches with clear water. 3. Some good snorkeling close to the beaches. 4 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,575 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by christof on 30/8/2009 at 02:04

Buying Chiang Mai flight from airport

Posted by thesage on 27/8/2009 at 15:05

We are arriving in Bangkok at 14.40 and would like to catch the flight to Chiang Mai at 17.15 from Thai Air. We may have to overnight in Bangkok, but we won't know until we get to Thailand. Is it possible to buy flight tickets to Chiang Mai from Thai Air at the airport, or must be book in advance? (We are coming in on another airline, but to the same airport). What are the chances of there being place on the flight at the end of September? Are these flights usually booked up? Thank y ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,254 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by thesage on 28/8/2009 at 13:15

Getting off the "Banana Pancake Trail."

Posted by stevebram on 28/7/2009 at 08:19

Thailand’s “Banana Pancake Trail” and 5 Insider Tips for Escaping it (reprinted courtesy of BootsNall Travel, original piece found at: www.bootsnall.com/articles/09-07/thailand’s-banana-pancake-trail-and-5-insider-tips-for-escaping-it.html) There’s a story that’s been handed down for years from one backpacker to another as they parley in guesthouse lobbies throughout Thailand. It’s usually told by an elder of the tribe, anointed in patchouli oil and sipping a watermelon smoot ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,569 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by stevebram on 28/8/2009 at 10:09

lockers in bangkok airport

Posted by splashtree on 27/8/2009 at 15:48

flying in bkk next week for a 7 week trip. i will have dive bag with me that i will be taking to oz but really dont want to hump round with me for my trip. does anyone know of any lockers or storage system in bkk airport and if there is, any ideas on pricing? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,410 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by busylizzy on 28/8/2009 at 04:43

bangkok place to stay open late?

Posted by em22 on 26/8/2009 at 11:56

My flight gets into Bangkok around 1 am. Wondering if most budget type guesthouses are open late at night or are 24 hrs. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,263 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/8/2009 at 06:55

Chiang Rai updated

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/8/2009 at 16:40

Just a quick note to let you know that we've just given our coverage of northern Thailand's Chiang Rai a badly needed update. We've added a few more backpacker dens, expanded the travel info and even fitted in one of those fancy Google Maps I keep babbling about. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,745 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 27/8/2009 at 04:50

Which flash hotel?

Posted by courthag on 26/8/2009 at 00:20

Hi there, I am traveling with my BF for two weeks in thailand. As we will be in Bangkok for his birthday I thought I would splash out for one night. Has anyone stayed at the Lebua and the Le Meridien? I can't decide which one to choose! Thanks Courtney ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,603 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/8/2009 at 07:22

Thai Boxing Camp?

Posted by incognitachikita on 21/8/2009 at 23:24

I'm looking to travel to Thailand to attend a boxing camp and train in Muay Thai. I'm a 29y/o female with some experience in martial arts, Muay Thai included, but in this context, I would call myself a beginner. I'm not looking to be a professional, or even fight necessarily, but I'd like the experience of rigorous training for a few weeks or possibly months, depending on how things go. I'm looking for a school that is reasonably priced and relatively authentic, whatever that means. That ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,085 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/8/2009 at 07:17

Travel Plans for Oct - Suggestions Please??

Posted by MichBee on 14/8/2009 at 12:59

Hi, I've got Thailand as my last leg of my trip... hoping it will be the much needed holiday from the rest of the trip :P I wanted to run what I have at the moment to see if its okay!?! And for any other suggestions. Looking for it to be a bit slow paced but still want to see things. Arrive Bangkok - 1/10/09 Bangkok - 2/10/09 (floating markets and temples) Koi Samui - 3/10/09 Koi Samui - 4/10/09 (cooking class) Koi Samui - 5/10/09 Koi Samui - 6/10/09 Phuket - 7/10/09 Phuket - 8/ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,385 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by bwayne on 26/8/2009 at 03:33

bangkok to ko samui scam - getting money back?

Posted by sinstone on 2/8/2009 at 22:02

hey boys and girls, we were taken by the bangkok to ko samui bus scam. got all our big USD and Thai bills stolen from under our noses... both in our checked luggage and in our carry on. We have no clue how they could have been to sneaky to get through our carry on but they did. Thankfully we didn't get our passports or any other stuff stolen. Is there any way we can get our money back? Reporting to the tourist police? Going back to see the "travel agency"? Any suggestions would be appre ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,296 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by SBE on 25/8/2009 at 03:51

floating markets

Posted by splashtree on 23/8/2009 at 22:17

landing in bangkok start of sept. was looking for info on the famous floating markets in and around bangkok. does anyone have a personal recommendations of the markets, either in bangkok or just outside thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,677 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by splashtree on 24/8/2009 at 17:10

Cheap flights, full moon and visa

Posted by dan567 on 23/8/2009 at 18:56

I'm planning a trip which involves travelling from Hanoi through Laos and Cambodia and then in to Thailand. From the 1st Dec -> 11th I plan on attending Suan Mokhh for a 10 day meditation. After that my only plan is to go to the Full Moon party for new years, and then fly to Australia. 1. Is it best to get a Tourist visa before I leave? Or visit an Embassy in Vientiane or Svannakhet on my way past? 2. How far in advance should I turn up to Koh Phangan! Will 19th be early enough to find ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,189 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 24/8/2009 at 05:35

bangkok to angkor wat

Posted by halongbay07 on 31/3/2009 at 01:51

planning a trip over to cambodia inparticular angkor wat, what is the best and easiest way to travel there from bangkok and where can you get a visa? thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,557 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 24/8/2009 at 04:53

Wi fi or Bluetooth in Thailand?

Posted by ellenagger on 23/8/2009 at 18:28

Hi. I'm getting a netbook in Canada and want to know if you can access Wi fi in internet shops/cafes in Thailand. I was so frustrated last trip with the gaming going on in most internet shops (those not catering to foreign tourists) that I thought having my own netbook would be useful. But I need to figure out how and where I can connect. Should I depending on finding Wi fi access (I travel a lot in Isaan, outside large cities) or consider getting a phone with Bluetooth access so I can hook up t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,130 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 23/8/2009 at 20:19

Bangkok accommodation recommendation?

Posted by ellenagger on 23/8/2009 at 17:35

We're looking for a nice place to stay for a few days in BKK. Near Skytrain. Around 600 Baht. Good neighbourhood for street food/markets. No backpacker places, please. Fan is fine, as is shared bathroom. We're hoping to find a place we like for future visits as well. Recommendations welcome. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,103 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 23/8/2009 at 19:34

Interested in handweaving with natural dyes?

Posted by ellenagger on 23/8/2009 at 17:41

Off the beaten tourist trap: Khon Kaen city in Isaan. You can reach it by train on the northern line. Visit Prae Pan Group's shop to find cotton and silk weaving, all with natural dyes. This co-op has been going for 20 years. No English, but they get visitors from KK University program in international development so they can manage if you don't speak Thai. More info about Prae Pan here: http://praepangroup.wordpress.com/ Look on the Shop PraePan/Order Here page for a map to their shop. It's a g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,097 times, with no replies.

best way to go from surat thani to malaysia? train/bus or plane

Posted by matimulinaris on 22/8/2009 at 15:40

hi i know that trains and buses are cheaper and plane is plane is faster obviously. but i just want to know if its safe to cross de border by train or bus because of the social problem in south of thailand. and if not which airline have flights from sumai or surat thani to penang/kuala lumpur without a stop on bangkok? thanks, matias 5 days to arrive on thailand haha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,266 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by matimulinaris on 23/8/2009 at 15:20

Lomprayah Combo Ticket - Bangkok - Ko Pha Ngan value?

Posted by alssolotour on 15/8/2009 at 05:51

Hi, Their website says return fare for 2100 TB, bus from bangkok is leaving near my hotel. How does this compare against paying for: getting to bus station + bus to chumphon/surat thani + all ferries in and out and + bus/train back to Bangkok? Do any of you know the approx cost, with a similar standard of bus. Many Thanks for your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,792 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by matimulinaris on 21/8/2009 at 16:09

Traditional Thai Tattoos

Posted by KatieI on 21/8/2009 at 09:37

Hi I've searched 'tattoos' and read all the messages since 2006. I've noticed that a number of people have been asked to send in details of their experience but couldnt find anything ... can anyone recommend where i could read further on 1st hand experiences? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,645 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by spikybrain on 21/8/2009 at 15:14

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page