Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Need Travel Advice!!! Please Help Me Out If You Can!

Posted by tmcclin1 on 9/6/2009 at 05:26

Hey everyone, New poster, pls forgive me if i make any forum faux pas. I'd like to, if possible, travel from the Southern tip of Thailand, Singapore or Kuala Lampur, to North Eastern Australia, by as budget means possible without being in serious danger of getting myself killed. If anyone has done this, or knows of a way, can you give me some advice? Keep Smiling, Tom ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 899 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 10/6/2009 at 04:49

Avoid far southern Thailand due to safety concerns?

Posted by DLuek on 4/12/2008 at 09:59

Greetings, My girlfriend and I (we're US Citizens) are planning a trip to SE Asia from Feb. 1 to May 15. Originally we were planning on flying in and out of Bangkok and going from Thailand (south) - Cambodia - Vietnam - Laos - Thailand (north/central). After the recent airport closures in Bangkok, we looked into other options (I know BKK is up and running again but I fear protesters may return at some point). The option I've been leaning against is to fly in and out of Saigon. The o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,393 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by DShearer86 on 10/6/2009 at 04:46

First time travelling to Thailand - goind for 6 months- starting in Bangkok!

Posted by Kitty78 on 11/7/2008 at 00:42

Hi Everyone! I'm going to be backpacking solo around Thailand for 6 months starting in Bangkok, October 2008. I have a few questions! :) 1) I have a friend who recommended Orchid House on Soi Rambutrii Road, in Bangkok, and I am just wondering if anyone else has had any experience staying there- ie: was the staff friendly? were the rooms clean? do you advise trying to book ahead for a room for early October? i'll be arriving in town late at night and am wondering if it will be difficult to g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,066 times, with 44 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/6/2009 at 01:15

thailand travel budget six weeks

Posted by cross83 on 27/5/2009 at 04:17

Hi all i am just trying to work out a good budget to stick to and need some help please? Bangkok -> 2/3 nights Southern Thai islands/koh phi phi --> Had Yai (town on the border wih Malaysia) --> Penang --> Kuala Lumpur --> Singapore thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,728 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/6/2009 at 00:47

Thailand to Yunnan (China) border crossing - anyone with experience?

Posted by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 09:23

I posted this on "Visas and border crossings", but with no reply. Maybe someone with Thailand experience might know. Message: Hi I'm planning a trip from Chiang Mai in Thailand to Yunnan in China. I understand there is a passenger boat from Chiang Sean in Thailand to Jinghong in China. Has anyone any details on this trip: * ie times, prices, etc., * the border crossing requirements (eg. visa on arrival to China for an Australian, or is it necessary to pre-purchase), and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,915 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by dageshi on 9/6/2009 at 17:59

best backbacking beachs

Posted by fergi_99 on 9/6/2009 at 12:06

hey guys, im planning a trip to thailand laos malaysia and singapore in either june/july or november/december next year. i hear that Koh Phi Phi has become to touristy and im looking for a more undiscovered area. something like Koh Phi Phi used to be. any ideas apreciated. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 963 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 14:10

Drinking laws!

Posted by scarletina on 23/3/2009 at 07:10

Hiya! Just wondering about the underage drinking laws in thailand, i'm off there by myself and i'm only eighteen and I just learned the drinking age is actually twenty, so was curious to see how strict things are over there, whether I could actually get away with getting into the bars and stuff. I'm off there anyways in two weeks, boozing or no boozing! But yeah, any info would be much appreciated. Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,653 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by dageshi on 9/6/2009 at 13:52

Ko Phangan Advice

Posted by mweldon on 8/6/2009 at 23:55

Hi, My wife and I (both 28) will be heading to Ko Phangan mid July for 6 nights. We are looking for a little bit of excitement and adventure, but also some quiet/relaxation, snorkelling, perhaps some mountain trekking, etc. Looking for something mid-range, perhaps with pool, etc. We will be arriving in Thong Sala late the first night (9 pm). How easy will it be to find transport to nearby beaches at that time? We are thinking perhaps the first 2 nights in Had Yao west, and then make ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,440 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tezza on 9/6/2009 at 13:35

Guesthouse for family of 4

Posted by pia2am on 8/6/2009 at 19:56

Hi We are a family, kids aged 5 and 8, planning a rtw trip that includes Thailand. I have read many of he guesthouse review here on travefish but most only have double rooms. Can you recommend a nice, family- and budget friendly guesthouse with 3 to 4 beds ($25-35] in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khao Sok national Park, Ko Lanta and Ko Lipe? Thanks in advance Pia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,624 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 07:29

Where, what , when and how much?

Posted by catmanscoop on 26/5/2009 at 03:20

Hi All, I'm new to this posting game so please forgive me as i may be a little bit vague. I'm going to Ko Samui in July for a wedding to be a bridesmaid however after this we have around 2 wks to explore Thailand but I just don't know where to start and what is feasable to do in that time frame, we definitely want to visit Koh Phi Phi and hopefully see a Full Moon party, but this falls back at the end of our trip so would mean heading back aound to the East side. Any must see places or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,589 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 9/6/2009 at 03:52

Khao Sok Rain Forest with family

Posted by Ikkersheim on 19/5/2009 at 00:18

Hi all, We want to visit Khao Sok Rain forest with our family 2 adults, 3 children (11, 13, 15). Can you advise based on your own experiences I read mixed reviews about most resorts. We are also looking for an accomodation which is preferably big enogh for all of us because we don't want to leave the children alone, or connecting rooms would do. Thanks in advance, Donald ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,496 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 8/6/2009 at 06:45

Request for Expert Opinion on my Tentative One-Month Itinerary

Posted by srk052004 on 22/5/2009 at 08:29

Thanks mostly to the info here, I have a tentative itinerary. Some parts are firm, but some are not. Advice would be very appreciated. The trip begins on late p.m. 27 May in Bangkok. 6 nights (5.5 days) Bangkok. Fly to Phnohm Penh. PP 4 nights (4 days). Fly/bus to Siem Reap. 5 nights (4.5 days), Siem Reap. Fly to Ko Samui. 5 nights (? days) Ko Samui. Fly to Chiang Mai; 3 days. Travel to Sukhothai for full day there. Remainder: 2 days/3 nights before return from Bangkok to US (at ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,265 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 8/6/2009 at 06:33

Half A Day in Bangkok - What to Do?

Posted by LChantha on 7/6/2009 at 08:45

Hi, If all goes as planned, I will be arriving from Ubon Ratchatani via Air Asia at 10:10 on 14 Sept 2009. I've got a flight that leaves the next morning from Suvarnabhumi, at 8:10 back to the US, so I want to stay overnight at the Silver Gold Garden Airport Hotel, about 10 minutes from the airport. Since I'll be arriving relatively early in the day, I'm sure that I can get in some Bangkok City sightseeing, as little as it may be. However, I'm a woman and will be traveling alone so I want ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,189 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 8/6/2009 at 06:31

Should I go at it alone?

Posted by tomclowes on 2/4/2009 at 18:50

Complex one. I am in Thailand on week 2 of an around the world tour. I did not want to go alone, and thus arranged it with a school mate. He since agreed with another mate to all go, so there are 3 of us. After a week, I have realised we want completely different things out of the trip. They want to drink,smoke,party and maybe see a few sites. I want to do everything. I was considering going off alone, but I am very shy, have awful bearings, and up to this point they have organized ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,818 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 8/6/2009 at 00:37

northern thailand into norther laos

Posted by JamesHamblin on 9/4/2009 at 20:46

I understand there is a northern crossing into Laos from Thailand at Chiang Khong. I read somewhere that the northern part of Laos is dangerous for travellers. As im going alone i was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true or is it false. cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,819 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/6/2009 at 23:49

Thailand Visa help please :-)

Posted by liam123 on 17/3/2009 at 01:28

Hi I've just got my 1 entry visa stamped from the 13th march to 13th june,to thailand.i fly into bangkok on the 19th march and my flight ticket has a return date of 19th july,so i have just over 30 days with no valid visa.would i be allowed to leave thailand when the visa is up, to say laos then return a few weeks later to claim my 15day visa then return home? will i have problems when i land in bangkok because of my ticket dates? any ideas or suggestions would be great! thanks for the he ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,362 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/6/2009 at 15:20

Is Thailand still a good travel destination ?

Posted by jakethedog on 6/4/2009 at 23:35

My wife and I were to travel to Thailand in feb/mar of this year but because of the unrest we cancelled our plans. We are reconsidering going to thailand in feb/mar 2010. Just looking for some expert advice if Thailand is still a good travele destination considering safety, politics, etc. Thanks in advance Dan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,425 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/6/2009 at 15:10

violence in nong khai?

Posted by amezella on 3/4/2009 at 05:44

I read on wikipedia that there was violence against Westerners in Nong Khai in December of 2008. Can anyone provide context on what is going on here? Also, I am thinking of going there in June/July....could anyone advise on "just how rainy" the rainy season is there? Thank so much for your help! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,009 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/6/2009 at 14:47

Deaths at Thai resort

Posted by tmoneybags on 10/5/2009 at 03:29

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/09/seattle.mystery.death/index.html By Patrick Oppmann CNN SEATTLE, Washington (CNN) -- What started as a romantic Southeast Asia vacation for a Seattle couple ended with Ryan Kells preparing Friday to return from Bangkok carrying the ashes of his fiancee to give to her family in California. Ryan Kelks, St. Onge's fiance, says he also felt ill and believed something at the resort made them sick. "It's such a shock," Robert St. Onge told CNN about the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,345 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/6/2009 at 14:37

Safe to arrive at BKK at midnight?

Posted by bellatrx on 18/5/2009 at 10:38

I am considering purchasing a cheap ticket that gets into Bangkok at 10:30 pm -- so it would be quite late by the time we got to a taxi, let alone a hotel. I am wondering how smart it is to do this. How safe is it to navigate the taxi system in the middle of the night? What's the trek like to hotels in Bangkok? Would you recommend this, or should we look at flights at a more reasonable hour? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,903 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/6/2009 at 14:24

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page