Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

To take a Tour or travel independently

Posted by matt89 on 18/6/2009 at 14:15

hey. iv had a bit of experience travelling for the last 8 months so im not completely new to it however i was wondering whether it is a good idea to use a company to take me around s.e.a or to travel on my own. so far my experiences with tour companies are that they normally rip you off compared to travelling on your own. the price looks like 1200euro for 40 days travel and accom passing thru thailand vietnam laos and cambosia. however probably the biggest factor will be is it going to be w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,710 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by exacto on 19/6/2009 at 17:55

Where to stay in Krabi / Phi Phi

Posted by Gatti_LDN on 18/6/2009 at 18:50

Hey all, I'm off on a trip to Thailand and borneo in a few weeks and i'm looking for some advice on where to stay. I've been before but only to the Gulf of Thailand side. We're heading to Phi Phi via Krabi (Overnight stay as a late flight) and i'm looking for somewhere to stay. I'm only there to do my Padi Qualification so not looking for a massive party just somewhere pretty chilled with reputable dive companies. Can anyone recommend somewhere, on a backpacking budget, nothing too ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,333 times, with no replies.

Open to Suggestions- Bangkok to Chiang Mai..

Posted by Whynot on 11/6/2009 at 04:29

Firstly, what a great site! I have decided to quit my job, working for the man and see the world...because why not? I will be hitting Europe first and then flying from Berlin to Bangkok around mid October. From here I only have 4 weeks and the only must see location is a 2 week stop in Chiang Mai to volunteer at an elephant orphanage. Does anyone have any recommendations on stops along the way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai? Any special gems to see/ stay inbetween? Or is the overnight train the b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,377 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 18/6/2009 at 06:29

Off The Beaten Track

Posted by nutmeg47 on 25/5/2006 at 00:29

I am planning a trip in October ... getting my TEFL in Ban Phe (Rayong province) and I am just beginning my Thai research. A lot of the things I'm finding are very "packaged" and touristy ... I'm looking for some weekend trip ideas and inspiration for, perhaps, a longer trip after my certification. In other words, I'm looking for suggestions both in the region I'll be staying and in the rest of the country (not narrowing things down, I know). I'm looking for waterfalls and jungles and e ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,006 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by KevinCorr on 17/6/2009 at 15:36

What is Krabi weather like at the end of June?

Posted by rayste01 on 16/6/2009 at 09:37

We are thinking of going to Krabi from Chiang Mai for a few days between June 25-29 to visit Railey beach, Ko Phi Phi, etc. Being monsoon season around Krabi, wondering if we should go straight to the islands around Ko Samui side directly from Chiang Mai and skip Krabi all together? We have June 25th to July 4th to explore beaches. Suggestions? We are looking to spend the bulk of our time in Ko Tao. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,494 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tezza on 17/6/2009 at 12:06

Phuket Vegetarian Festival

Posted by grndhouse on 27/5/2009 at 08:24

Traveling to SE Asia Sept - Dec and want to catch the vege fest in Phuket. Anyone been? Experiences? Advice? Anything would be great. Thanks! And as much as i use this site planning our trip i feel like i will owe you royalties when we return! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,614 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 16/6/2009 at 03:31

Ko Chang,Ko Mak etc in July

Posted by lm_w on 14/6/2009 at 02:44

Hi, Is the end of July a good time to go to Ko Chang and the islands around it?? :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,539 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by khunwilko on 15/6/2009 at 12:39

Irish couple traveling around aisia

Posted by Roadkill on 10/6/2009 at 20:03

Hey we are an Irish couple late 20's and we are going to travel around south east asia around november we have never backpacked before and have a budget total of 5000 euro or 7000 us $ how long can we make our money last and if anyone has any advise on any topic to do with cheap traveling through this part of the world Thanks Donal & Sandra ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,245 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 15/6/2009 at 01:15

from BKK international airport to khao san raod by bus

Posted by blenaerts on 9/6/2009 at 04:59

hi fellow travellers, I arrive in BKK on June 18 09.10 am. I would likte to take the bus to khao san road. 1) where is the busstop at the airport ? 2 what bus do I need to take (nr?) ? many thanks and hope to see some of you there ps: i'm a couchsurfer (couchsurfing.com), so maybe some of you feel the urge to contact me! cs name ( BOBTJE ) greetings, Bob ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,883 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by sirhalberd on 13/6/2009 at 07:58

Erawan museum and ancient city in Bangkok?

Posted by xontros on 11/6/2009 at 00:43

I would like to know if Erawan museum and the ancient city are worth a visit. I have 4 days in Bangkok and they both look pretty impressive from the pictures. Also, how can i get there without booking an expensive tour? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,502 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by xontros on 13/6/2009 at 05:54

Trekking in Northern Thailand.

Posted by humpdawg on 20/5/2009 at 07:01

Just wondering has anyone got advice about trekking in Northern Thailand. Should I book a trek from Chiang Mai or would somewhere like Pai, Chiang Rai,Mae Sot or Mae Hong Son be better? Any recommended tour operators? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,876 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by humpdawg on 12/6/2009 at 16:43

Southern Andaman Islands in late November

Posted by kraver_alex on 11/6/2009 at 21:35

Hello one and all Me and my girlfriend are flying into Kuala Lumpur on the 15th November and after a few days in KL, maybe even just the one if it's raining big time, we'll be making our way into Thailand. We were thinking about stopping at one of the Southern Andaman Islands around this time (not sure which one yet...), and my question is: is it likely that we will encounter some rain here around this time? If so, then we'll probably skip the island and carry on heading up to Bangkok. C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,605 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tezza on 12/6/2009 at 11:37

Ko Samui to Ko Phangan after 4:30pm??

Posted by zzcobraz on 10/6/2009 at 21:38

I'm flying in to Ko Samui on Sunday but my flight doesn't arrive until 7pm and I'm trying to get to Ko Phangan that night to meet my friend. It looks like the last ferry leaves at 4:30pm. Does anyone know if boats run after that time or if you can hire a boat or anything? Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,450 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by tezza on 11/6/2009 at 12:58

sangkhla buri accomodation

Posted by annacmyk on 10/6/2009 at 21:43

hello all i have looked at all the accomodation on the site and other sites in this area, but they all seem to have big problems like ghastly food, loud noise of cleanliness. does anybody have any other place that is about thb1500 and clean and lovely and not jammed up at christmas.the place needs to have a website so i can see what i am paying for. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,386 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Thaiman on 11/6/2009 at 03:36

Need Travel Advice!!! Please Help Me Out If You Can!

Posted by tmcclin1 on 9/6/2009 at 05:26

Hey everyone, New poster, pls forgive me if i make any forum faux pas. I'd like to, if possible, travel from the Southern tip of Thailand, Singapore or Kuala Lampur, to North Eastern Australia, by as budget means possible without being in serious danger of getting myself killed. If anyone has done this, or knows of a way, can you give me some advice? Keep Smiling, Tom ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 910 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 10/6/2009 at 04:49

Avoid far southern Thailand due to safety concerns?

Posted by DLuek on 4/12/2008 at 09:59

Greetings, My girlfriend and I (we're US Citizens) are planning a trip to SE Asia from Feb. 1 to May 15. Originally we were planning on flying in and out of Bangkok and going from Thailand (south) - Cambodia - Vietnam - Laos - Thailand (north/central). After the recent airport closures in Bangkok, we looked into other options (I know BKK is up and running again but I fear protesters may return at some point). The option I've been leaning against is to fly in and out of Saigon. The o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,412 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by DShearer86 on 10/6/2009 at 04:46

First time travelling to Thailand - goind for 6 months- starting in Bangkok!

Posted by Kitty78 on 11/7/2008 at 00:42

Hi Everyone! I'm going to be backpacking solo around Thailand for 6 months starting in Bangkok, October 2008. I have a few questions! :) 1) I have a friend who recommended Orchid House on Soi Rambutrii Road, in Bangkok, and I am just wondering if anyone else has had any experience staying there- ie: was the staff friendly? were the rooms clean? do you advise trying to book ahead for a room for early October? i'll be arriving in town late at night and am wondering if it will be difficult to g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,093 times, with 44 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/6/2009 at 01:15

thailand travel budget six weeks

Posted by cross83 on 27/5/2009 at 04:17

Hi all i am just trying to work out a good budget to stick to and need some help please? Bangkok -> 2/3 nights Southern Thai islands/koh phi phi --> Had Yai (town on the border wih Malaysia) --> Penang --> Kuala Lumpur --> Singapore thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,746 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/6/2009 at 00:47

Thailand to Yunnan (China) border crossing - anyone with experience?

Posted by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 09:23

I posted this on "Visas and border crossings", but with no reply. Maybe someone with Thailand experience might know. Message: Hi I'm planning a trip from Chiang Mai in Thailand to Yunnan in China. I understand there is a passenger boat from Chiang Sean in Thailand to Jinghong in China. Has anyone any details on this trip: * ie times, prices, etc., * the border crossing requirements (eg. visa on arrival to China for an Australian, or is it necessary to pre-purchase), and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,978 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by dageshi on 9/6/2009 at 17:59

best backbacking beachs

Posted by fergi_99 on 9/6/2009 at 12:06

hey guys, im planning a trip to thailand laos malaysia and singapore in either june/july or november/december next year. i hear that Koh Phi Phi has become to touristy and im looking for a more undiscovered area. something like Koh Phi Phi used to be. any ideas apreciated. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 971 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 14:10

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page