Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travelling from Hong Kong to Singapore.

Posted by bournemouth2009 on 6/1/2009 at 22:44

Hello I am planning to fly into Hong Kong in April and travel Asia through Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, KL to Singapore where I am going to fly to OZ. I was wondering whether any1 knew the best (i.e. cheapest and safest) route to do this and whether there are any places that are a must to see. I have been to Thailand a couple of times in the past and know about many of the islands in the south (Ko Phangan, sumui, phi phi etc) but would appreciate any places that sudnt be missed! I have n ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,813 times, with no replies.

Thailand or Viet Nam

Posted by jakethedog on 22/11/2008 at 08:13

My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand in April/May for approx 21-25 days. we are 40 and 50 healthy, somewhat experienced travellers who like a bit of adventure. Given some of the turmoil in Thailand I was wondering if Viet Nam might be a better bet? Any advice , reccommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Dan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,708 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by travelrock on 6/1/2009 at 22:07

Peak season worries on the Thai islands

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/9/2007 at 22:18

There's been a few threads about gettings reservations in peak season -- especially on Ko Phi Phi and Ko Pha Ngan, so I'm going to sticky this one and hopefully answer a few questions with this one! I'll just preface the following by repeating an important point: The majority of guesthouses and hotels in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam cannot be booked online. These establishments rely on walk-in trade, and reservations made either in person, or by fax/telephone. By peak season I mean th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 30,130 times, with 22 replies. Last reply by sparkle_sista70 on 5/1/2009 at 20:14

Help plan my SE-Asia trip!

Posted by Jastone on 3/1/2009 at 12:00

Hey guys, Me and 2 friends are going on a SE Asian trip starting on jan 8th until feb 17th. Basically one of my friends isn't coming now at the last minute due to personal reasons and he was going to be directing us around. So now that he's gone, I'd love some help planning where to go! We're starting in bangkok, then flying to koh samui on 9th, then ferry to full moon party on 10th. After that I'd love some tips on where to go and how to get around exactly (trains, buses, flight if we hav ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,990 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by sparkle_sista70 on 5/1/2009 at 19:48

New Siam II/III without a booking in Feb - OK?

Posted by TonyG on 5/1/2009 at 11:31

Four of us are going to Bangkok in early Feb and our best guess for quiet, clean but cheap rooms is the New Siam II or III guesthouse, but not very happy about the booking fee and credit card surcharges online. What's the chances we'd get OK rooms on a walk-in at that time of year? Will the prices be different? Is this place usually pretty full up? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,065 times, with no replies.

20 days: advice on how to spend?

Posted by amz155 on 31/12/2008 at 00:34

We have 21 "useable" days to spend in Thailand after days in transit to/from Thailand are accounted for. How does this sound: -Bangkok -2 days (Sat/Sun)(Grand Palace, Chatuchak, Suan Lum night bazar) -Kanchanaburi -2 days (Mon/Tue)(Mon early train to Kan.; back to BKK Tue afternoon to catch night train to CM) -Chiang Mai + surrounds -8 days (Wed-Tue)(fly CM-BKK- Krabi) -Krabi/Koh Lanta/Koh Jum -8 days (Wed-Wed) -Bangkok-1 day (Thur)(fly Krab ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,118 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 5/1/2009 at 07:30

Thailand in 4weeks

Posted by benjammin3 on 4/1/2009 at 09:04

I'm traveling to southeast Asia for 6-7wks this summer, starting in Bangkok in June. After spending a few days in Bangkok and Chang Mai, I wanted to go sit on an uncrowded island with clean beaches and clear water. Any suggestions for this time of the year? I've never been to Asia, so I'm pretty clueless. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,481 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tezza on 4/1/2009 at 18:11

Ko Chang and Ko Maak

Posted by fernery on 2/1/2009 at 00:39

Hello, I will be heading to Ko Chang for about 5 days, mid of Jan. I am considering Ko Maak in this trip. I read some reviews on Ko Maak and have concerns about the sandflies situation mentioned, amongst some other positive comments. Questions: 1.Is Ko Maak worth spending 2 nights? 2.Is there another island that is definitely worth checking out instead? 3.Is staying in Ko Chang good enough for the short few days I have there? Appreciate any advice. Thanks a bunch! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,974 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by tezza on 2/1/2009 at 17:55

recommendations for acommodations in bangkok

Posted by smponsaa on 28/12/2008 at 14:36

will be flying in from melbourne first week in january. looking for budget accommodations in bangkok to get acclimated. any recommendations would be appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,726 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by guineverjavier on 30/12/2008 at 10:15

What can one do in 5.5weeks in SE Asia without feeling overstretched

Posted by Tazzfalcon on 30/12/2008 at 01:33

Hi, to reintroduce myself: Im going to SE Asia for five and a half weeks from mid March to Late April, Now, im really getting into the idea of doing the whole backpacker/independent traveller thing (all be it with my girlfriend). However I 'am keenly aware than some people do SE Asia in 5 months and still complain they haven't had enough time and I don't want to feel like all ive seen is the inside of a bus/train/taxi etc. I should clarify the SE Asia I 'am really talking about is: Th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,105 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by swag on 30/12/2008 at 07:53

Thai Visa Advice Needed

Posted by alitrfc on 27/12/2008 at 21:29

Hi, we are currently in Cambodia and are looking to get to Ko Samui for new year, the problem is we have been told that if we go over the border by land we will only get a 15 day visa? Can this be extended to a 30 day visa at the Thai Embassy in Bangkok if we prove that we have a flight leaving Thailand at the end of January? or is there any other suggestions on what we could do? thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,642 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by ChangFai on 29/12/2008 at 10:31

Diving Similan and Surin Islands?

Posted by littlemisstypeA on 21/12/2008 at 15:54

I need help with two things at the moment. First, could anyone tell me how exactly to get from Bangkok to Khao Lak via train/bus/taxi, and about how much it would cost? Second, are there any recommendations for dive centers/guides for the Surin and Similan Islands? I would really like to dive Richelieau Rock, Ko Tachai, and the Similan Islands, but would prefer day trips. What is the cheapest/best way to go? Third (I know I said only two), are Hin Muang/Daeng really only suitable for experien ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,166 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by littlemisstypeA on 29/12/2008 at 00:44

Beware Fake 1000 Baht Notes.

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 27/12/2008 at 20:41

Just a heads-up really. Apparently alot of fake b1000 notes around at the mo and many people/places refusing them. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,516 times, with no replies.

August -Thailand 1st time trip please help!

Posted by paulshuttle on 24/12/2008 at 08:14

Ok so here is the plan, open to suggestions! PLEASE!! Arrive Bangkok- A night or 2 Chang Mai- 1 night then a trek into villages and jungle 3/4 night Back to bangkok train to Penang/kuala-lumpar to singapore (48hour train) 3 nights there Back to KL 2 nights Back to thailand for the islands- this time to relax and not be touristy 5 nights (hoping to catch full moon) Back to Bangkok 1 night then fly back!! So................. 1. What have i missed out that i shouldnt miss? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,565 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by JohnnyCash on 27/12/2008 at 14:44

denpasar/Bali flights

Posted by tomlo1981 on 24/12/2008 at 20:44

hi i'm travelling south from Bangkok to Singapore from 02/01/09 to 10/2/09. i plan to stop at some islands on the way. i was planning on taking the train. i wouyld like to go off course somewhere on the journey and fly to Denpasar Bali. i was thinking of stopping in Kuala Lumpur, flying from there and returning to Singapore where my arranged flight leaves for Cairns. HAs anyone flown to Denpasar? If so, where is the best place to buy the tickets from? What is the rough cost for a ticket that wo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,514 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/12/2008 at 07:21

Where would you rather spend a month?

Posted by mattocmd on 18/12/2008 at 11:06

I want to get my TEFL in Thailand in Feb. and wanted to get the opinions of some of you fine travelfish readers. Here are my options: Phuket Chiang Mai Ban Phe Could a few people give me some opinions. I have been to Phuket and Chiang Mai. It's a hard choice between beaches and mountains - all beautiful...but I wondered what people with more experience would say. Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,934 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 25/12/2008 at 12:28

bangkok to north thailand

Posted by tomlo1981 on 24/12/2008 at 20:49

hi i'm going to attempt 'the region' itinerary suggested oon this site in a reduced timescale (4 weeks) however am going to miss/fly some destinations. Pretty much want to start in Laos. what is the best way to get from Bangkok to Laos (north, somewhere like Luang Prubang maybe via north Thailand). i arrive at BK airport at 23.10 on 3/3/09 but would like to leave ASAP to begin the tour. I'll have already visited Bangkok so would like to start the journey immediately. Any suggestions are greatly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,401 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by swag on 25/12/2008 at 06:21

Koh Lipe for New Year

Posted by ecoldwell on 22/12/2008 at 23:46

We are travelling to Koh Lipe for NY and are now concerned that we haven't booked accomodation and there will be nothing available. What are your thoughts about turning up on the 28th hoping to find somewhere to stay? If it's a no for Koh Lipe can anybody recommend another island in the region? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,429 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 24/12/2008 at 08:40

Anyone been to Chiang Dao?

Posted by bethbackpacks on 23/12/2008 at 04:08

Hello everyone, New to this forum so hi! I'm Beth, I'm off to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Queensland and New Zealand exactly a month today. Been on a gapyear forum so far but think I might have exhausted it slightly. Just stumbled upon Chiang Dao while reading stuff on here. Was planning on going to Pai but far more excited by this place! Caves look amazing, would love to go birdwatching and meditate near the caves. Has anyone been and if so, wheres good to stay, do you have any recommen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,701 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by bethbackpacks on 23/12/2008 at 20:06

Accomodations near Phuket airport for early morning departure.

Posted by trex on 21/12/2008 at 08:44

Does anyone know of a reasonable place near the airport for the last night on Phuket? I have a 0905 departure to BKK the following day. Or is getting to the airport a big deal in the mornings from anywhere on the island? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,748 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by trex on 22/12/2008 at 07:10

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page