Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Christmas on Koh Mak

Posted by Fireflower on 17/8/2007 at 19:36

Hi Have friend who lives on Koh Samet and I am going to visit for 3 weeks over Christmas. I would like to get off Samet and thought about going some where quiet like Koh Mak but I have not been before. Has anyone been there over this time? How busy does it get and do we need to book? I don't want to spend over 1000 baht for a room. Can anyone reccomend a place to stay? Any tips will be much appreciated:) Kawp khun maak kah! x ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,399 times, with 31 replies. Last reply by island on 9/7/2008 at 20:58

WARNING Motorbike rental in Tong Nai Pan Noi

Posted by heinscheffer on 8/7/2008 at 11:20

If you got to Tong Nai Pan Noi on Koh Pha Ngan, and you should, beware of Again Again. It's a super friendly looking place serving food and renting motorbikes, but unfortunately the man is a total crook. Everybody in the village knows this, but off course I walked right into the trap. Rented 3 motrobikes, had a nice trip to Thong Sala, returned the bikes and then the nightmare started... He was accusing me of damage done to the bike (yeah I know, I should have checked the bike better) and kep ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,409 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ChangFai on 8/7/2008 at 14:54

Naga Fireballs

Posted by dostreic on 6/7/2008 at 23:01

Is it worth going to the Naga Fireballs? We love a good festival! Can't find a place to stay IN TOWN as everywhere with email says they're booked. Nakon Khai Grand has rooms but says they're 45 km from festival. Will that work? Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,363 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/7/2008 at 15:38

Travellers who know what they're talking about?...Oh Yeah?

Posted by paulstuartiddon on 28/6/2008 at 16:59

I am the British father of a 19 year old son who has - so far- spent a week in hospital with a badly infected wound sustained in a 'fun' Thai boxing fight in the 'Reggae Bar' on Ko phi phi, Thailand. My son and his friends, who were very drunk already were encouraged to fight 'Thai Style' i.e. using feet as well as fists, with a prize of another 'bucket' - a quarter bottle of Thai 'whisky' and coke plus red bull on ice. Three of his friends sustained gashes and no attempt was made to offer ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,409 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by dixonstreet on 6/7/2008 at 07:02

Best way to get from Suvarnabhumi (new airport) to Khaosan (@1am)?

Posted by jenniemcmartin on 4/7/2008 at 00:50

I've been to Thailand twice, but not since the new airport has been open. I wanted to know what is the best way to get from the airport to downtown, particularly if it is as hard as it was before to get the taxis to put their meters on. Also if there is a direct bus, or if the sky train now extends to their airport or not, that info would all be of great help. Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,510 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by sirhalberd on 5/7/2008 at 02:27

travel buddies

Posted by BigEHead on 10/6/2008 at 21:28

hey guys, it's last minute but i just booked my ticket to bangkok. i'm planning on hitting siem reap, phenom penh, ho chi minh city, hanoi....and maybe a few more. is anyone interested in these places? if i have time, i want to go to a couple of other spots. i'm going to be there for about 3 weeks. thanks, jake ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,637 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by smartso on 3/7/2008 at 22:25

Posted by barrylad66 on 3/7/2008 at 07:36

i just have a short query about medication at the pharmacys in thailand i understand you dont need a prescription from a doctor,is that correct? the problem is that my g.p can only precribe me for a max of 2 months but i am planning on travelling for about 9-12 months. i had a bad motorbike accident about 2 years ago and i have bouts were i need heavyduty painkillers. what im asking is will there be a problem getting such medication over the counter or will i have to go to the hospital?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,392 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by barrylad66 on 3/7/2008 at 22:08

Solo traveling Aug-Sept

Posted by smithjaco on 2/7/2008 at 10:34

I'm looking to travel from August-October which is during the off/wet season. I just wanted to know if many places are still open and busy? I've read that most places on Ko Chang close during this period. I once traveled around Europe in the off season and the majority of places i stayed had little to no people in them, wondering if thats what i should expect during my trip? This is also going to be my first time solo, and I'd hate to be staying in places that have little to no life. I want to s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,657 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by tezza on 2/7/2008 at 11:58

Midrange Hotel Options in Rattanakosin area of Bangkok

Posted by scomoore1 on 28/6/2008 at 20:43

I am wondering what experiences folks might have of hotels in the royal city area (‘aka’ Rattanakosin) in Bangkok. This area is so interesting, especially in the southern neighborhoods, the markets, the area around the ‘amulet market’ between the Pinklao Bridge and Thammasat University. The river walk between Thammasat and Phra Athit Fort is great. It is a great walking area. In addition, not so apparent to firsttime visitors is the incredible mobility afforded by way of the river ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,180 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by cybervlad on 1/7/2008 at 12:40

Guesthouse warning for Ao Nang

Posted by narcodave on 1/7/2008 at 11:06

I write to warn people who are looking to stay in Ao Nang for more than 2/3 days that they will be charged extra for water and electricity at incredibly inflated prices if they stay at Warina's hotel and apartments (previously Cartoon apartments) without explanation or warning and will fight to get the room cleaned regularly. Having read the sign outside (1 month 6500 Baht) I paid for 3 months a/c for 20,000 Baht (price shown for a single fan room). I checked in as per usual and was told room ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,207 times, with no replies.

Christmas & New Year - North or South?

Posted by Diamond_Dog on 28/6/2008 at 02:54

Hi everyone, long-time lurker first-time poster here. My girlfriend and I are planning our first trip to Thailand; 30 days from mid-December to mid-January. After much research (largely based around this wonderful site - obsequiousness over!) we aim to split our trip between the North and South, based primarily around Pai and Ko Phangan respectively. Our primary concern is the best place to spend Christmas and New Year? We're leaning more towards Pai, as I've heard that the weather down So ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,190 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Diamond_Dog on 1/7/2008 at 05:12

Friendship Beach, Phuket (Vijitt Resort) - good place to stay?

Posted by marmo on 30/6/2008 at 17:05

Hi We're spending 8 nights in Phuket on our honeymoon in January and are looking for somehere that is away from the hue and cry of Patong (very far away). I work in the travel industry and have been offered a great deal at the Vijitt Resort ( which is opening in September at Friendship beach on Chalong Bay. Everything I've read says it's a good area to visit for the seafood but not a great place to stay. I'm wondering if anyone has stayed in the area a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,233 times, with no replies.

Koh Chang - Thai side (East Coast?)

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 8/3/2008 at 23:04

Hello, I've read that the west coast of Koh Chang is the touristy side and that most of the Thais stay on the east cost? I want to take my brother and sister-in-law to ko chang with my wife (all Thai) and would like to stay away from the big 4 star hotels and over priced tourist restaurants and stay with the Thais. we will have a budget of about £20 -£30 a night (per room) and need air conditioning and a safe room. Any recommendations on the east coast? Thanks, Antony ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,195 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by kristel on 30/6/2008 at 14:48

Travel info and visa requirements

Posted by Jamboelle on 28/6/2008 at 22:24

Please help, my husband and I are flying into Bangkok at 9.30am on 22nd July for 3 weeks. We have been to Bangkok a couple of times so just want to get straight out. My thoughts are flying straight to Vietnam and stay there for about 8 days then fly back to Bangkok and want to fly to Ko Phi Phi for the remainder of our trip (head back 11th August). Is this a possible itenary? We are looking for a bit of travelling and a bit of beach relaxing. What visas would we require? Have I left it a little ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,321 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/6/2008 at 08:50

Thailand in 2 weeks in August. Suggested itineraries?

Posted by Ramon187 on 28/6/2008 at 06:57

I'd rather spend my time truly exploring 2-4 locations, rather than running around, trying to see everything. Ideas? I'd appreciate any suggestions at all (destinations, sights, suggestions for travel within Thailand), as I know basically nothing about Thailand. Thank you VERY much. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,311 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Ramon187 on 29/6/2008 at 02:19

Short trip near Bangkok

Posted by stroked11 on 15/5/2008 at 10:45

Hi Some friends and I are going to Thailand and Laos in June. However two of us arrive in Bangkok approximately 5 days before the others arrive and we all take a night train north to Laos. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding a small trip the two of us could make for 3 or 4 days before heading back to Bangkok to catch our night train. We are on a fairly tight budget and werent sure if there were any destinations reasonably close by Bangkok that would be cool to visit. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,481 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by scomoore1 on 26/6/2008 at 19:58

Transit Visa (Thailand) with only one-way ticket to Bangkok

Posted by Conni on 20/6/2008 at 05:54

I will work for the WFP in Laos but plan to travel there via Bangkok as flights to Thailand are so much cheaper. From Bangkok I would take the train to Nong Khai, then the bus accross the border. All direct travel. I am German so technically I don't need a visa for stays shorter than a month. I could also get a transit visa, but that would not change my problem: I only booked a one-way ticket, and so far I have not found a way to pre-purchase tickets to Laos (did so for the train but not the bus ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,969 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by Conni on 26/6/2008 at 13:59

1 week to see Thailand

Posted by lannypeg on 24/6/2008 at 03:00

I have up to one week to spend in Thailand before moving onto Cambodia. I am not particularly adventurous whereas my husband is looking for elephant spotting and maybe jungle walking. We will fly into Bangkok but then I just don't know where to go. Somewhere where I could shop/ relax on a beach whilst my hubbie does something more adventurous would be perfect. We don't like really touristy resorts though. Can anybody make any suggestions?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,391 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 25/6/2008 at 03:21

Three Week Itinerary Suggestions

Posted by tlsaborido on 24/6/2008 at 09:32

Hello Everyone: My husband and I are in the process of planning a three week trip to SE Asia in January (approximately the 3rd to the 23rd). As of now our tentative itinerary looks something like this: Fly into Bangkok -- spend just enough time in Bangkok to get settled, showered, catch up on sleep, etc. (I am thinking about 2 days) before flying to Chang Mai. We plan to spend about three or four days in Chang Mai. Then we would like to rent a motorbike and spend about five days ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,905 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 25/6/2008 at 00:56

Best Island/ Beach to visit in July?

Posted by jeanick on 24/6/2008 at 03:58

Hi there, I'm planning to go for 3 days to one of the Thai beaches or Islands near Bangkok. Which is the best bet if i want a place to relax and enjoy the beach. Thanks so much for your advice! Jeanick ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,788 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tezza on 24/6/2008 at 10:10

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page