Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

getting from patong to surat thani

Posted by kopite1984 on 29/2/2008 at 17:59

i need to travel from patong to ko phagnan on 23rd march any advice as to how i can get there the same day?i have been told via email from the hotel im booked into that i can go to surat thani by private car in just over 4 hours and costing 4000bht is this a fair price? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,954 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by kopite1984 on 29/2/2008 at 20:33

An island close to Bangkok - Ko Samet

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/2/2008 at 10:25

We've just added a new feature story to Travelfish -- "A weekend on Ko Samet". While it has its fair share of detractors, for a short weekend break from Bangkok, Samet is difficult to beat. It's an ideal spot to kill a few days while you're waiting for a visa to be issued in Bangkok, or if you're just looking for a few easy days on the beach. This feature story accompanies out new coverage on Ko Samet which has been completely re-researched (new map is on the way!) -- it's easily the most up- ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,972 times, with no replies.

krabi suggestions

Posted by michellouws on 19/2/2008 at 01:24

hai! next week we'll fly into krabi on our way for a two week trip to several of the islands. any suggestions for the first couple of day's to relax on the beach, and within reach of the airport, eta noon. thinking of ko jum and lanta... anything i shouldn't mis???? thanx, michael ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,624 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by lorna1hamilton on 28/2/2008 at 17:42

Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Posted by ChrisM48 on 22/1/2008 at 11:36

My wife and I are travelling to Thailand in July this year. Trip is for 3 weeks and plan is to either fly to Chiang Mai and work our way back to Bangkok via bus/train or vice versa. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,905 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by lorna1hamilton on 28/2/2008 at 17:40

Bangkok guesthouse near train station?

Posted by myrhmaid on 26/2/2008 at 11:25

Hi. I'm hoping to find a good, clean, inexpensive, and friendly guesthouse near the train station in Bangkok. I've heard good things about the Train Inn, and any feedback on that one, or suggestions of another would be great. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,518 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by sirhalberd on 27/2/2008 at 21:53

Need to surrender passport to hotel/guesthouse?

Posted by cdpark on 24/2/2008 at 15:08

I'll be traveling to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Is it mandatory to leave your passport with hotel management in any of these countries? That seems odd to me, but I've read a few posts that seem to suggest this is the case. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,160 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by khunwilko on 25/2/2008 at 17:14

BKK airport to Pattaya area

Posted by hannesnaomi on 19/2/2008 at 02:15

Hi again, We'll be landing in BKK March 1st around lunchtime. What's the best way to get to the Pattaya area from the airport? Possibly Pattaya itself. Ideas please.... thanks :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,167 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by hannesnaomi on 23/2/2008 at 09:16

Tamari Soy Sauce (wheat free)

Posted by urbal on 23/2/2008 at 04:16

Were, if any place, would I be able to buy a bottle of Tamari Soy Sauce. Tamari is soy sauce made w/o wheat, btw. Is this something that would be available in a Bangkok store? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,466 times, with no replies.

Is Theft an issue?

Posted by hannesnaomi on 7/2/2008 at 04:05

Hi there, Am just wondering if backpackers are having any issues with theft during their travels. Theft of smaller items (ie: backpacks, clothing, personal effects). Is it okay to leave your backpack behind in your room while you venture out for the day? We are planning on backpacking thru the islands throughout March and will be staying at budget places. I imagine there are no locks etc on your rooms - so just wondering what people are doing with their packs while they hit the beach etc? Tha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,749 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by limeandsoda on 22/2/2008 at 13:44

Need suggestions on clothing....

Posted by urbal on 21/2/2008 at 05:56

I will be spending 30 days in Thailand (7 days in south and the rest in the north) and perhaps a week or so in Laos. We are traveling end of April to the end of May. I have spent quite a bit of time on this site reading the forums and have spent time on http://travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm trying to figure out what is an appropriate amount/type of clothing to bring. My goal is to go as light as possible. Currently I was planning on bringing in total, including what I wear on the plan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,511 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by khunwilko on 22/2/2008 at 09:30

are reservations necessary?

Posted by matthias on 13/2/2008 at 21:43

I will arrive in Thailand (BKK) at the end of February and travel around in Thailand/Laos till the beginning of April. I would like to know if reservations for accomodation are necessary in this time period. Actually, I prefer to look for a place to stay when I get there, but on the other hand I don't like to try 10 different guesthouses because everything is occupied. How do you do it usually? What about booking flights? I will maybe take the plane to get from Chiang Mai to Ko Samui or Luang ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,629 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 21/2/2008 at 23:41

Suggested itinerary

Posted by alexlazarus on 18/2/2008 at 18:38

Hi Everyone, I've read all relevant posts, and looked at Travelfish's suggested itineraries, but i was hoping to pick your collective brains as to the best itinerary for us to do at Christmas. We are planning to fly in on the 26th, and spend until the 1st / 2nd Jan on Koh Kut (accomodation will be booked in advance!). Then we wanted to travel northern Thailand - as we will only have about 8 days (is this crazy?), we would fly up to Chang Mai and travel back down. Arriving in Chang Mai on the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,515 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/2/2008 at 23:39

ko samui long term

Posted by michellouws on 20/2/2008 at 22:47

I would like to stay on an island (thinking of ko samui) for a longer period of time with my husband, say 3 months. anyone any suggestions on accomodation (preferable close to the beach, not too far from town,not too touristy and with cooking facilities, the perfect spot!) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,330 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Guernseystu on 21/2/2008 at 23:33

FULL MOON CANCELLED UNTIL SUN 24TH FEB

Posted by tinamars2000 on 21/2/2008 at 02:19

DUE TO SENATOR ELECTIONS FULL MOON PARTY NOT ON THE FRI 22ND AS PLANNED NOW CHANGED TO SUNDAY ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,710 times, with no replies.

Mae Nam Kwai River Trip

Posted by kitisak on 19/2/2008 at 13:00

I am planning to take a kayak down the mae nam kwai noi river from about sai yok in kanchanaburi (or maybe above) down into the town of kanchanaburi and possibly on the mae nam klong river in ratchburi in the next week. would anyone care to come? this is an old important trade route from burma into thailand... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,582 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Tilapia on 20/2/2008 at 05:27

Diving scams in Thailand

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/2/2008 at 14:50

As frustrating as it may be, travellers to Thailand continue to fall victim to a seemingly limitless variety of scams. Of course there's the obvious ones like gem stores and free tuk tuks, but sometimes you only need to let your guard down for a moment and even the most battle-hardened traveller can get done faster than you can say "Free tuk tuk". A few years ago, I was in a hurry to get from one of the Gulf Islands to Bangkok to catch a flight so instead of going to Surat Thani and getting a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,016 times, with no replies.

convention of clothes?

Posted by matthias on 13/2/2008 at 21:17

Hello, I will leave in about 10 days for Thailand and I am wondering about the clothing conventions in Thailand. I read somewhere that even for men the knees should be covered. Are the restrictions really that strict? Besides that, I will follow these rules: no orange clothes, never topless, taking off shoes before entering a temple. Is this enough or are there other important rules? Thanks for an answer, Matthias ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,610 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by khunwilko on 18/2/2008 at 14:45

Grand Palace & Temple of the Reclining Buddha

Posted by hannesnaomi on 15/2/2008 at 04:47

Does anyone know if these places will be open for the Easter weekend (March 22-24). And are the open Sundays normally? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,580 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by wanderingcat on 16/2/2008 at 05:31

Bangkok Nightlife - Must sees/do???

Posted by hannesnaomi on 9/2/2008 at 13:48

My boyfriend and I will be travelling thru Thailand for the month of March spending a few nights in BKK. Would like to see both the cultural nightlife of BKK but also the "party" type atmosphere (not necessarily in the same night). We are in our mid 30's and young at heart. Any recommendations on nightclubs, parties, or events happening in BKK that are a Must See/do? Or are there event newspapers/ads we can check out once we are there or even ahead of time? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,862 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by goo_stewart on 15/2/2008 at 18:42

One night in Koh Samui with early boat transfer - help please!

Posted by blaise79 on 13/2/2008 at 20:45

Hiya :) My partner and I are flying in to Koh Samui but we'll miss the last boat to get to koh Tao. We want to get the Seatran boat at 8am the next morning, but I'm not 100% sure where it leaves from. Am I correct in thinking it's Bangkrak (sopelling??) north of the island near buddha beach? If so, can anyone recommend a cheap and a bit cheerful (lack of cockroaches a big bonus) guesthouse or hotel we could stay at that's close to the boat pickup point please? We have a budget of up to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,562 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 14/2/2008 at 17:48

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page