Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Flying from Bankok to Samui to Seam Reap - Discovery Airpass?

Posted by erdanan on 29/6/2007 at 17:11

Hi I'm new to the forum and am hoping someone can help me out here. My girlfriend and I are planning our holiday of a life time after a tough year. We have got flights into Bangkok in the 2nd week of August and are leaving 3 weeks later, during which we want to fly to samui to spend some time on the chain of islands a lean to suba dive. Then we want to fly to seam reap and see Angkor Wat, then back to bangkok and home. My question is does anyone know the most economical way of ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,439 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by cybervlad on 29/6/2007 at 18:52

AMEX TC vs VISA or Master Card TC

Posted by yayo12 on 26/6/2007 at 00:07

Hi everyone: Just wondering if someone can help me with this issue. I've been reading as much as I can about how convenient it is to take TC to mainland ASIA. It seems that with an ordinary ATM card and some cash TC are a good option, what i havent found yet is what type of TC are the best to take. Is it Amex TC? I know they are the easiest to find in Mexico (where I live) but im more interested in the type that would be easier to cash in Asia and the one with fewer comissions. I'll be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,004 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 27/6/2007 at 22:16

The Sarojin, Khao Lak versus The Twinpalms, Phuket

Posted by ndecost1 on 26/6/2007 at 03:59

We are almost ready to book our two week honeymoon to Thailand. We are down to choosing between these two fairly different resorts. I would appreciate anyone's opinions on them or the area. The Sarojin looks like an amazing beach and Khao Lak seems to be a cute town. I also love the idea of visitng the Similan islands nearby. On the otherhand, the Twinpalms also seems to sit on a beautiful beach - maybe not as nice looking at the Sarojin - and it has this great new beach club on Surin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,848 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by cybervlad on 27/6/2007 at 18:30

other islands for day/night trip from Phuket or Khao Lak

Posted by ndecost1 on 26/6/2007 at 04:13

Can you recommend island day trips for us? We are considering staying in Surin Beach in Phuket or in Khao Lak at the Sarojin. I see that everyone goes to the Phi Phi islands and the James Bond island. Are these really the best to visit? We'd like to go for a day and spend time on an amazing beach. We would consider spending the night there if we found nice accommodations for $100 USD a night. Any recs on tour & boat operators to these islands as well? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,288 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by cybervlad on 27/6/2007 at 18:18

one month

Posted by kokodojo on 26/6/2007 at 09:07

i am planning roughly a one month trip in thailand...ive started checking things out. im going to start in bangkok. and end in ko pag nan for the full moon party... than depart by phuket. any suggestions/tips on good areas to stop by in the middle?? any advice at all would be great in general katie kate ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,175 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/6/2007 at 07:56

Itinerary Suggestions Please!

Posted by yayo12 on 20/6/2007 at 01:37

Hi there: I'm about to start an 8 to 10 week trip around Mainland Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam). I've been trying to read as much as I can about the weather, cities to visit, highlights and timeframes, but I'm still a little bit confused about my "so far" itinerary, so I would really appreciate some help and advice. I will be starting my trip in early august (Monsoon Season) so I was just making up my mind if it would be better to cross from Thailand to Cambodia, through Poip ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,668 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by yayo12 on 24/6/2007 at 04:00

Chep cities and places to buy stuff, please advice!

Posted by yayo12 on 24/6/2007 at 03:55

Hi everyone: Im about to start (Id say my coolest trip so far) a journey to SEA in the upcoming weeks. Im thinking about visiting Malaysia (Where my plane would be arriving from the US), Then Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. I've read great things from the LP SEA on a shoestring travel guide but I haven’t found some info Im interested in. I know that SEA cities are really good at selling cheap stuff (original and copied) from a broad kind of goods. I just wanted some advice as to wh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 928 times, with no replies.

Satun islands

Posted by steveandingrid on 22/6/2007 at 05:23

Sawadee Kop, Has anyone traveled the southern islands of Satun Province by boat/ferry? Our nephew was an exchange student in Trang in 2002. We met the mother at the Trang airport in '03 quick tour exchanged small presents and she arranged tranist to the dock and we stayed 3-4 days at Charlie's on Ko Muk, ksyaked to the E/cave one morning and visited Kraden then ferried to Lanta for a week. Last night at dinner the nephew said that the Dad arranged for a basic boat for the family of 6 pl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,592 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by marineboy on 22/6/2007 at 16:37

thailand trip

Posted by fendi on 7/6/2007 at 12:54

Hi I am traveling to Thailand in March, I will be in Chiang mai for a week at the Elephant Nature Park. Any suggestions to go after that. I will stay in Chiang Mai for a few days and then I would like to go to the beaches, I have been reading that Phi Phi is beautiful and Ko Samet, also should I take the train from Chiang Mai to the beach areas or fly? Thanks for your help! ------------------------------------------------------ http://www.allmadrid.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,115 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by sofia on 22/6/2007 at 16:19

Treatment of elephants at Chiang Dao

Posted by planetclare on 22/6/2007 at 01:59

Hi, Could someone who has been to the Elephant Training Center at Chiang Dao comment on how the elephants are treated there? I'm aware it's a training center with shows and rides, and not a rehab center like the Elephant Nature Park (would love to go there, but I don't think I'll have the time or money to do so), but within that framework, would you say the elephants are treated properly? Thanks! Clare ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,452 times, with no replies.

Fall 2007

Posted by mattocmd on 20/6/2007 at 06:59

Hello everyone! This is definately one of the best SE Asia travel websites I have read! I spend so much time at work reading the travel guides, they rule! So I am planning on quitting my corporate cubicle job and traveling SE Asia for about 3-4 months. I would like to leave in September. I am working on a budget and figuring $15 a day for food and $10 a day for drinking...is this too much? I am a big drinker and love food. I like to try exotic foods, the grosser looking the better! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,608 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/6/2007 at 18:58

Bangkok and Thailand in general

Posted by orientalgetaway on 21/6/2007 at 12:42

Upon arrival you will find exactly what you probably read in your guide. Sales people, and a lot of them. Too many offers for taxi, hotels, tours, etc. in the airport. You will eventually learn how to avoid these background annoyances. If you speak a little thai even better, but you can just walk ahead and ignore everyone. Instead of paying too much for taxi go on the bottom floor and catch a taxi; remember upstairs is limousine floor and bottom floor is taxi floor. These guys have to pay some a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,770 times, with no replies.

Proper clothes/footwear for temples?

Posted by planetclare on 12/6/2007 at 23:18

A friend and I are planning to visit Thailand in October, and I've been soaking up as much information as I possibly can since we began talking about it. (I love this site because it lets me research the trip when I'm supposed to be working!) Anyway, I've read a lot about the dress code for visiting temples (long-sleeved shirt, long pants and/or skirt), but I recently met a girl who had been to Thailand and told me I would also need to wear closed-toe shoes. Is this correct? She also told me tha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,297 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by asterisk on 21/6/2007 at 11:10

political situation in bangkok

Posted by trippymctwist on 20/6/2007 at 07:19

What is the current political situation in bangkok. I understand that the Canadian government is warning against non-essential travel to bangkok because of recent politcal demonstrations and possible large demonstrations on June 24. Anybody have any info on this? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,448 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by trippymctwist on 20/6/2007 at 12:41

Guesthouse in Chiang Mai

Posted by steveatkins on 15/6/2007 at 13:37

Hi there Can anyone recommend a good, clean, cheap, homely guesthouse in Chiang Mai? Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,600 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 20/6/2007 at 12:20

Phimai oder Khorat

Posted by jofml on 18/6/2007 at 22:16

Hello, we want to go to the Phimai festival in November. Does anyone know, how the guest house situation is normally during the festival? Is it easy to find one then? Or is ist better to stay in Khorat? Thanks Frank ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,284 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/6/2007 at 18:18

Paging MJS - Mae Nam beach

Posted by ndecost1 on 16/6/2007 at 02:34

I saw you wrote that you had been to Maenam beach. We're thinking of going there in December and staying on the western tip on Ban Tai beach. Is it a nice beach with clear water and nice sand? Thanks. We don't care that it's quiet - we'd prefer that actually. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,669 times, with no replies.

Is durian available all year in Thailand?

Posted by doglikesparky on 14/6/2007 at 20:13

I plan to head to Thailand around August and would like to know if I will be able to get the fruit "durian" while there. Is it available year round? I was in Thailand a few yrs ago in March / April and it was plentiful then. What about in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia ... yep, I'm gonna follow the fruit. And if anyone knows a beautiful and cheap place to hang out with a good supply, all the better. Any info on this much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,398 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/6/2007 at 13:53

Help please - Tongsai Bay or Napasai resorts

Posted by ndecost1 on 14/6/2007 at 05:10

Thanks to those of you who responded to my recent forum. We are deciding between Tongsai Bay Cottages resort in Choengmon beach OR Napasai (an Orient Express Hotel) on Ban Tia beach near Maenam. We are totally stuck between the two. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated. This is for our honeymoon so we want the must luxurious place possible with a beautiful and clean beach. We don't care much for the nightlife - just a beautiful resort with great amenities. I was referred t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,679 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ndecost1 on 14/6/2007 at 20:46

Looking for a paradise around Samui and surrounding islands...

Posted by chaimdan on 12/6/2007 at 22:19

Hi Guys, My wife and I with our baby will be traveling to Thailand in August and are planning on spending 6 days in Samui or one of the surrounding islands. We are looking for a place that is great for relaxing, picturesque, quiet or private beach, hammocks, nature, nice sand (basically what you see in the Thailand Tourism - TAT pictures)... originally was planning on maybe hopping over to Ko Tao for a couple of days but now it sounds like it's pretty much busy there and not sure about natura ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,078 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by exacto on 14/6/2007 at 12:05

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page