Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Birthday Trip

Posted by magnii on 16/1/2012 at 23:40

Hi All, I know I am new to the forums here, and I know what I asking is well in advance. I hope I do not insult anyone by posting this so early. OK onto the post... I am taking my best mate to Vietnam for his 60th birthday. His birthday is in July and so I was looking at going there about the end of July for 4 weeks. We would be doing the "ride the length of Vietnam" thing, travelling either from Hanoi to HCMC or the other way around. We are both experienced riders and are looking f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,929 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by magnii on 19/1/2012 at 16:56

travel between Hanoi and Hoi An, train or plane

Posted by AWUQ on 5/1/2012 at 20:24

We are traveling in April/May 2012 from Hanoi to Hoi An returning to Hanoi. Your advice on the best mode of transportation would be appreciated . Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 17,569 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by chinarocks on 19/1/2012 at 08:47

Travel partner wanted SGN-meekong-phu quoc

Posted by Lpeaceout on 17/1/2012 at 23:56

I am looking to reduce the cost of getting to Phu Quoc in late January. Handspan does tours that include the Meekong and a boat to the island, but the single supplement makes it pricey. Flights are high during this busy time too. I'm a Canadian female in late 30s. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,282 times, with no replies.

Waiting for flight from HCMcity to Danang

Posted by vietraveler on 10/1/2012 at 07:24

Hello there, I am going to Vietnam on Jan 16 and will transfer flight from HCMcity to Danang. My Korean Flight arrive to HCMcity in the middle of the night and the flight to Danang is 6:00am. Is any place in the airport that I can stay for few hour? How to transfer from International terminal to domestic terminal? Is it save to walk from one terminal to the other alone with luggage in the middle of the night? Thank you for your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,858 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by NYTim on 17/1/2012 at 15:42

My First (And Hopefully Last) Magical Experience of Vietnam

Posted by VhuTanDing on 16/1/2012 at 02:25

I have not yet set my foot in Vietnam but she had pulled a hat trick on me here in the Vietnamese Embassy in Manila -- Amazing! Before I applied for a visa in Manila, I did my online homework bearing in mind that the fee in Cambodia is $25, in Thailand it's $45. Two weeks ago I came to the Embassy and was quoted by this Vietnamese looking/speaking officer for a fee of $77. Shocked, nevertheless, I still filed my application. $77 --- Double Seven, that figure is very memorable for me. First of ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,813 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by exacto on 16/1/2012 at 22:28

New Years Eve in HCM

Posted by vkng on 22/12/2011 at 06:33

I was just wondering if there were any parties on NYE. I love basking in the Vietnamese culture, but would love to bring in the new year with some Westerners as well. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,753 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by vkng on 16/1/2012 at 00:28

Crazy pre-Tet-ness in Hanoi

Posted by travellingsarah on 15/1/2012 at 21:59

Just a heads up to warn you of a couple of things in the run-up to Tet in Hanoi. Firstly, although the streets will be very quiet over Tet, at the moment they are extremely busy. This is primarily because people are out and about more buying things in preparation for Tet, and also because there are more deliveries going on, for example of Tet trees and blossoms. So take even more care when crossing roads and allow extra time for any travel around town. This extra traffic has also led to some ta ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,762 times, with no replies.

A real Vietnamese experience, just outside of Hanoi!

Posted by douluvme49 on 15/1/2012 at 09:54

Hey guys, My boyfriend and I just went on this awesome tour and we wanted to share it with people. It'd be something great to do during TET. The company picks you up in Hanoi by motorbike (if there are 5 of you, there will be 5 motorbikes with drivers) and safely drives you 2 hours from Hanoi. You get to experience real Vietnamese bbq and food. Accomodations included. You get to see the country side, and beautiful scenery. The river is filled with limestone cliffs similar to Halong Bay. It wa ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,407 times, with no replies.

Crime Fighting in Vietnam

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 6/1/2012 at 07:54

What recourse is there for victims of crime in Vietnam? Last night at about 4am I heard some noise outside my hotel window (tourist area, Chu Van An street) which turned out to be four Vietnamese guys attempting to mug an American woman. What should you do in or after that situation here? A brave and handsome Carrot, I was ready to dash outside and do battle, but then I remembered how much I hate being stabbed, beaten and left for dead, which probably wouldn't have helped the girl much. As the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,530 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by 666Biggi on 14/1/2012 at 06:09

TET in mekong delta with local people

Posted by sophie_lx on 10/1/2012 at 22:24

hi guys . i'm in HCM vity now , on occasion of lunar new years , i will move to mekong delta to enjoy tet .get some cultural things of local people in there So , Would love to celebrate with others! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,849 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Tuyen on 13/1/2012 at 10:06

Tet holiday!

Posted by stephanMc on 10/1/2012 at 15:38

Somebody can tell me when will be Vietnamese Tet? I'm travelling in Vietnam rom 18th to 11th february! Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,984 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 13/1/2012 at 01:45

Stop the pickpockets in Hanoi\'s Night Market

Posted by FootprintVn on 3/1/2012 at 21:25

Getting pretty close to the weekend, which means the weekend-nigh-tmarket-pickpockets are getting excited. This weekend lets 'fight' back. Hanoi is one of the safest places to travel - if not for those pesky pickpockets that seem to only come out during the night market. Really, they are not even real pickpockets. What they usually do is cut a hole in your bag and get everything out that way. So here's what we all need to do: - When we leave our hotels bring only what we need. 500,000 VND is ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,726 times, with 21 replies. Last reply by sayadian on 12/1/2012 at 22:02

From Hanoi to Vientiane

Posted by rzrz on 11/1/2012 at 01:47

After reading several post I decided to break up the trip, however I need advice on how to go around doing this. This is what I've gathered so far: ① HN - Vinh Train : 300K VND (soft sleeper) SE1 -- 1900~0049 SE3 -- 23:00~0415 ② Vinh - (Lak Sao?) - Vientiane I am not sure how to do this route ② (or if there are any alternatives) appreciate if anybody has inputs? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,645 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by tf_geckozy on 12/1/2012 at 18:12

Visa Question

Posted by Twerto on 10/1/2012 at 20:20

Hi, I am going to be travelling to Vietnam in August/ September of this year for 3 - 4 weeks and as part of the trip i am planning to go to Thailand for 2 weeks on the back of it. Since it is cheaper to fly back to Hanoi where i am flyning to from the uk rather than get two singles I was wondering what type of Visa I should apply for? how how best to go about it. I will be in Vietnam for approx 21 days then travelling to Thailand for 14 days with 7 days going through Cambodia mainly to see A ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,330 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Twerto on 12/1/2012 at 11:09

Mekong Express Bus - Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Posted by CHISEL440 on 16/1/2008 at 12:37

Hi Does anybody have a contact in Ho Chi Minh for booking the Mekong Express Bus from Ho Chi Minh going to Phnom Phen? We are arriving into Ho Chi Minh and want to travel to Cambodia a day and a half later so would like to book the bus before we leave Australia. I cannot find an email, phone or address to book through however. I have tried a few travel agents and our hotel in HM but had no success. Any assistance would be appreciated Regards Peter ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 81,495 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by darrylyoung on 12/1/2012 at 08:51

Air Mekong

Posted by AWUQ on 10/1/2012 at 21:30

Air Mekong: Any comments about this airliner, price, reliability and destinations including Dan Nang ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,078 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 12/1/2012 at 07:09

Tailor in Saigon

Posted by RayIV on 17/11/2009 at 02:10

Hello Where in Saigon can I find some god tailors, of course I want god quality, to a god price. Any addresses or homepages would be appreciated Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,550 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by ComeAndGoVietnam on 9/1/2012 at 20:10

Where to watch NFL playoffs in HCMC

Posted by fergydick on 9/1/2012 at 12:48

Could someone tell me where to watch the NFL playoffs in HCMC. We will be there the weekend of Jan. 21-22. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,025 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ComeAndGoVietnam on 9/1/2012 at 20:09

Vietnam and beaches _ January

Posted by stephanMc on 9/1/2012 at 16:38

Hello, on 18th January i'm going alone to Vietnam for 23 days. I'd like to travel from Hanoi to Saigon and spend 6-7 days to relax me on a beach and also make party. rom 20th to 26th january i'll be in the north area: Hanoi, Sapa and Halong. Than i haven't plans. The only thing i know is to stay some times on a beautiulll beach. I've red that sea in Vietnam is not so good like Thailand and Malaysia. So i'm thinking to spend my last week of my holiday to Langkawi (Malaysia) or Koh Tao (Thai ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,824 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ComeAndGoVietnam on 9/1/2012 at 20:08

Northern Entry to Sapa Via China?

Posted by mrbump on 5/1/2012 at 15:31

Hi we are looking to travel down towards Hanoi from China after visiting Yangshou and Guilin. However after studying a map and where I would like to visit i notice Sapa is a bit of a detour from Hanoi and it might make sense for us to continue on into China and head south at somwhere like Kunming? Can anyone advise if this route is passable and if it is possible for a decent Visa/Boarder crossing this way. Dont mind travelling off the beaten track but it might make life easier to head straig ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,821 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by mrbump on 9/1/2012 at 17:00

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page