Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Train to Hue at 19.00 after Ha Long trip - will I make it?

Posted by albatros11 on 28/1/2012 at 04:31

Another question. I am planning to catch a train to Hue at 19.00 from Hanoi just after I come back from Ha Long trip 2D1N. As far as I know, all trips return to Hanoi approx. at 16.30, which still gives some time before the train departures. My question is - does those Ha Long trips really arrive to Hanoi approx at 16.30, or they come back later? It is safer to book the train at 23.00 instead of this at 19.00? What is the best option? Thanks for any replies. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,546 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by albatros11 on 29/1/2012 at 13:51

Stuff to do in Saigon

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 26/1/2012 at 08:21

Hey all, I'll be bumming around in Saigon for the next week or so, and was wondering what particular things people have seen and done here they felt were worth checking out. Cheers, CC ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,332 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 27/1/2012 at 06:17

Saigon Skin Doc

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 26/1/2012 at 09:10

Ok, this one's a little unusual for me, but can anyone recommend a dermatologist in HCMC? I'm travelling long term and have a couple of new moles I should probably get checked out sooner rather than later. Also, can anyone give me an idea of the cost involved in seeing an English speaking doctor here about such things? I'm planning on going onto Cambodia overland after I'm done here, so won't be going through Bangkok (which would otherwise be the logical place to get medical stuff seen to). ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,451 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 27/1/2012 at 06:01

Multiple Entry Visa Question (Re-Entry)

Posted by mrbump on 24/1/2012 at 01:00

Hi I am looking at the best way to get into Vietnam from China and travel around.. If I purchase one of the online applications and enter via the airport can I re-enter via land using this visa. I know if you travel in via land you are supposed to get the visa from the consulate. But I thought I should ask. Thanks Alot! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,259 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 25/1/2012 at 13:21

Perfect Trip to Hoi An

Posted by Tukee on 25/1/2012 at 00:39

Just made the cut and bought my sleeper bus ticket to Hoi An upon my arrival in HCMC on the eve of Tet. Train ticket definitely out of the question. But the price I paid was US$50 - steep. The bus is OK, it's more like a bunk-on-wheels, a mini dorm or prison cell with three columns of two-level bunk beds, and no seats, no toilet either, and no complimentary box of treats. And without the sleeping mattresses and aircon we would be like slaves in a galley to be delivered to our destination in a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,986 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chinarocks on 25/1/2012 at 10:03

Chuc Mung Nam Moi!

Posted by Tukee on 23/1/2012 at 06:55

I had some apprehensions prelude to my coming to Vietnam during Tet and same thing yesterday but I was glad to spend the New Year here in HCMC. It was less sunny but still a little muggy today than yesterday. In the afternoon the heat was tampered by refreshing breeze here in downtown area. The crowd was overflowing and festive, promenading at the almost one-kilometer Le Loi Ave. leading to the Opera House. It seems I'm always in the right place at the right time. Late morning, it's time to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,902 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 25/1/2012 at 03:06

Just Be Very Careful And Alert

Posted by Tukee on 22/1/2012 at 06:40

This is not to let everyone down on their short stay in Vietnam. Like anywhere else, there are good and bad apples. The good locals give you that wonderful feeling while the unscrupulous ones just set it aside, coming from others' advise. My best wishes goes to the driver of bus 152 from Airport to Pham Ngu Lao where I have never felt so relaxed and assured. He told me "I'll tell when you need to get off". There's practically no problem with English no matter what station in life the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,276 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 23/1/2012 at 04:56

Hanoi; Sapa; Halong Bay - weather in February?

Posted by JenHarley on 6/12/2011 at 03:06

Quick question. Does the weather in February have a massive impact on activities etc (particularly in Halong Bay and Sapa)? Have been reading a few posts stating it is really cold this time of year in those places but I am still very keen to go. Should I just brave the cold and head out anyway? Are Jeans and a long sleve top/rain coat enough to keep the chill away? Thanks all, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,542 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by deco on 22/1/2012 at 17:19

Meeting in Saigon

Posted by peuge on 11/1/2012 at 10:32

Even though our vacation in Vietnam is over, the facebook group (where we planned our xmas dinner in Saigon) is still active. And for the request, I modified the group (name, description, made it public etc.) for more general direction. Meeting in Saigon: (yeah, the link still shows the previous name) - As the name says, you can arrange meetings in Ho Chi Minh (dinner, coffee etc. etc.) with other tourists and/or locals. - Some of the locals offered to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,798 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 22/1/2012 at 09:37

Where should a backpacker spend Tet?

Posted by MikeTV on 15/1/2012 at 19:05

Hi, Any advice on where to go and what to do during the week of Tet? I'm currently in Mui Ne and will probably be headed to HCMC unless pursuaded to do otherwise. What's a backpacker to do? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,193 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 22/1/2012 at 09:21

Free Public Events for Tet in HCMC

Posted by Tukee on 22/1/2012 at 05:41

What are the public events here in HCM tomorrow's Tet? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,851 times, with no replies.

motorbiking vietnam during tet?

Posted by henoo92 on 17/1/2012 at 02:47

hello, didnt realise about tet untill i arrived in hcmc and you cant buy open bus tickets because is too busy, buying bus tickets for each destination as you go seems to be very expensive. is it a good idea just buying a bike and travel north to hanoi stopping off at each place and then selling the bike at the end rather than taking buses? does anyone else fancy doing the same thing starting as soon as possible as my visa runs out on 13th feb. i dont really like the idea of riding all that way ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,919 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Pelicoo on 21/1/2012 at 12:02

domestic flights in Vietnam

Posted by deco on 14/1/2012 at 13:28

Hi !! Is it possible to do the following single flights without going back to my starting point? Hanoi-hue,hue-Da nang,Da nang-Na trang,Na trang-HCM. I dont have many days so i want to save time. Any reccomentations are acceptaple. Thanks in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,004 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by deco on 21/1/2012 at 02:30

How long in Halong Bay!

Posted by stephanMc on 10/1/2012 at 15:50

How long is better to stay in Halong Bay with a boat trip? 1 or 2 nights? What do you do 3 days in Halong? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,728 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by sk3 on 20/1/2012 at 18:00

Can Tho - Phu Quoc

Posted by asia4life on 20/1/2012 at 07:28

I am searching for some nice itenaries of things do and see in Can Tho , and also suggestion for a nice route from here to Phu Quoc. We arrived in CT a couple of days ago, and on our first day we bougth bicycles. Not anything fancy, bu a basic, used bike without gear, but with a basket up front. Yesterday we went on a 8hrs private boat trip to the floating markets etc, and today we repeated it by bike. The coming days we intend exploring Can Tho and the suroundings during several day trips by ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,314 times, with no replies.

New website with Vietnam travel videos online

Posted by JoachimS on 3/7/2011 at 23:29

Hi to all, hope you don't read this as spam. I published a non-commercial website with video footage from my last travel around Vietnam. From a tourist point of view it show some of the main points of interest, perfect for travelers who want a first impression. I hope you enjoy. Best, Joachim ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,250 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by sweety245 on 20/1/2012 at 05:46

good bicyle shop in hcmc

Posted by buggy on 20/1/2012 at 01:57

hi i am in need of some bicyle repairs to my mountian bike again. i will be in H C M C tomorrow for a few days and i am in need of a shop who can replace a cracked rim and rebuild my back wheel. any sugestions of shops with location would be gratfully received. thanks in advance buggy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,946 times, with no replies.

Birthday Trip

Posted by magnii on 16/1/2012 at 23:40

Hi All, I know I am new to the forums here, and I know what I asking is well in advance. I hope I do not insult anyone by posting this so early. OK onto the post... I am taking my best mate to Vietnam for his 60th birthday. His birthday is in July and so I was looking at going there about the end of July for 4 weeks. We would be doing the "ride the length of Vietnam" thing, travelling either from Hanoi to HCMC or the other way around. We are both experienced riders and are looking f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,940 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by magnii on 19/1/2012 at 16:56

travel between Hanoi and Hoi An, train or plane

Posted by AWUQ on 5/1/2012 at 20:24

We are traveling in April/May 2012 from Hanoi to Hoi An returning to Hanoi. Your advice on the best mode of transportation would be appreciated . Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 17,789 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by chinarocks on 19/1/2012 at 08:47

Travel partner wanted SGN-meekong-phu quoc

Posted by Lpeaceout on 17/1/2012 at 23:56

I am looking to reduce the cost of getting to Phu Quoc in late January. Handspan does tours that include the Meekong and a boat to the island, but the single supplement makes it pricey. Flights are high during this busy time too. I'm a Canadian female in late 30s. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,293 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page