Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Hanoi February

Posted by Fraz1958 on 13/2/2012 at 06:33

We will be in Hanoi early morning on Tuesday 21 February and plan to try and get a trip to Halong bay the next day just for 1 night on the boat. On returning to Hanoi we are planning to get the overnight train probably Friday to Da nang and on to Hoi An for 3 days minimum. We do not have to be in Bangkok until 9th March and was wondering if any of you kind people could suggest where to go after Hoi An, heading south that is. We seem spoilt for choice and would welcome input from readers of ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,824 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 14/2/2012 at 18:22

Flying from Hanoi to Luang Prabang

Posted by nhawker on 13/2/2012 at 14:55

Im looking to fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang at the begining of June. Flights look to be around £100 at the moment, but i dont want to book in advance in case plans change. Are the flights likely to be more expensive nearer the time?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,278 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 14/2/2012 at 18:14

Hostel Recommendations

Posted by escape4ever on 3/2/2012 at 18:41

Does anyone have hostel recommendations for Ho Chi Minh City, Hoi An and Hanoi? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,313 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by sophie_lx on 13/2/2012 at 20:02

White Sands Resort Phan Thiet

Posted by onimusha on 13/2/2012 at 11:43

Address: Km 8, Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Mui Ne, Phan Thiet City, Binh Thuan Star: 4 Whether it is a weekend retreat or longer stay, White Sands Resort Phan Thiet emerges to be the upscale getaway ideally suited for serenity seekers and romantics. Location Set in beautifully landscaped gardens, this elegant resort occupies a quiet corner on the long stretch of sandy beach at Mui Ne. Rooms The White Sands Resort Phan Thiet boasts 23 tastefully appointed accommodation units that exude contem ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,046 times, with no replies.

Hanoi kids tours

Posted by deco on 2/2/2012 at 10:47

Hi!! How can i book a tour with Hanoi kids tour for next week..i try to do it online but i cant.. Thanks a lot!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,269 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 12/2/2012 at 16:45

Solo traveler just arrived in Hanoi!

Posted by missgeo on 11/2/2012 at 05:23

Hey friends! I just arrived in Hanoi from Vientiane and my hostel is oddly empty! I would like to get out and see some sights with some fellow travelers (the greater the numbers the less likely we'll get hit by something crossing the street.........right.......!?). I'm in town for about 5 days if you want a travel buddy to explore with, let me know! -Char (My Vietnam cell numb is: +841648970575) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,796 times, with no replies.

12 days Nth Vietnam Pls help with plans

Posted by Benno on 7/2/2012 at 18:46

Hello everyone out there, long time reader, 1st time poster.... We are looking at travelling to Vietnam in June for ~12 days and exploring the top 1/2 above Hoi An. (Bottom half in November maybe). There is obviously a lot to do and see in this country and I hope to draw on the wealth of knowedge out there to assist. We will fly into Hanoi and spend about 3-4 days there and then head up to Sapa for 2 (Is this enough). After returning to Hanoi for 1 day, head down to the Hoi An/Danang area b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,252 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 9/2/2012 at 23:08

Weather, April/May Hanoi, Hue and Ho An

Posted by AWUQ on 22/1/2012 at 19:46

Sorry to bring this old topic up again. I acknowledge that any answer is only conjecture. However I am visiting Hanoi, Hue and Ho An in or around April/May 2012. Have you any indication as what the weather will be at this time? Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,638 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 9/2/2012 at 19:54

City of Ghosts near Hue

Posted by AWUQ on 29/1/2012 at 19:15

Hi I have read an article recently on the “City of Ghosts” near Hue. Has anyone information in respect to, a) how far is it from Hue, b) the best form of transport from Hue, c) is it worth the journey and d) the average cost. Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,226 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by shopunderwater on 9/2/2012 at 10:39

bus from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh after 6 PM?

Posted by rosevelyn on 9/2/2012 at 09:54

Hi, newbie on this site. Anyone knows a bus from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh after 6 pm? Due to time-constraint, we want to see the Phnom Penh for half a day before going to Siem Reap. Advance Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,708 times, with no replies.

Vietnam 8 Days

Posted by DayDreamer86 on 2/2/2012 at 06:29

Hello Everyone Firstly I know people are going to tell me 8 days isn't long enough however thats all the time I have and I can't change that. I'm a british citizen hopefully travelling with a friend if not by myself. I will be travelling to Vietnam from Vang Vieng, Laos preferably by bus or overnight train in December time, which I'm told is there dry season. Below are a few places i'd like to visit Can anyone who has been tell me realistically what they think I could fit in and make an enjoya ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,304 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 8/2/2012 at 02:27

Malaria Tablets for the Mekong?

Posted by sunday_stroll on 5/2/2012 at 02:57

Hi all, Do I need to bother taking Malaria Tablets when I go to the Mekong? I'll be doing a 2 day tour with Sinh Tourist which I figure will only go to the main touristy spots. I've read conflicting reports re Malaria cases in these areas from none to rare cases. Should I bother for two days? After the Mekong I'll be heading to Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa and am satisfied that I won't require tablets for any of those destinations. I'll be heading to Siem Reap afterwards and wil ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,097 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by altmtl on 5/2/2012 at 19:44

Vietnam - 2.5 weeks OTBP?

Posted by chinarocks on 30/1/2012 at 11:13

I was in Vietnam a few years ago as part of a RTW trip, spent 3 weeks there and did the usual trail for newcomers "“ Sapa, Hanoi, HB, Hoi An, Saigon, Mekong Delta and into Cambodia. After seeing the Top Gear programme recently in Vietnam, I have got a serious urge to go back and do some of the more non-touristy stuff/routes!! To this end, anybody have a feasible itinerary for 2.5 weeks (probably the max I could blag off work this year given other commitments) that would incorporate some ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,528 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by essentialtravel on 3/2/2012 at 03:08

Just Out Of Curiosity in My Son

Posted by Tukee on 28/1/2012 at 04:43

Not to be penny pinching, I wonder if the real entry fee to My Son is 60,000D. While waiting for my ride back home, I found a loitered ticket with the printed amount 30,000D. I wasn't concerned about the price before because I never found an article on the internet saying other than 60,000D. What arouses my curiosity is that the tour guide collected the fees from us while we were on the bus on the way with an excuse of trimming down the time and not wasting it. Also, I never received my ticket ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,121 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by NYTim on 2/2/2012 at 06:25

Trip Planning-12 Nights

Posted by CMac1968 on 30/1/2012 at 16:30

Hi All, Any help you can give on our upcoming trip to Vietnam (first time) starting in late March to early April. We fly into HCMC and out of Hanoi 13 days later. We are thinking of spending 3 nights in HCMC and taking the sleeper train to Nha Trang . Eventually we want to get to Hanoi and Halong Bay. How many nights do you recommend in Nha Trang and Hanoi? We have toyed with the idea of going to Hoi An for a couple of days, then on to Hanoi, but are not sure if that will be too much ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,180 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by janbjo on 1/2/2012 at 06:26

Tips to avoid scammers in Vietnam

Posted by gonorman on 23/1/2012 at 01:33

OK, here is some guid lines to help you avoid being over charge in Vietnam. Firstly, let's talk about ' Xe om' XE OM: (people who are motobike riders who offer to take you from here to there, you are best to avoid all of them, because they like to exaggerate their prices, even to Vietnamese people, not only to you. I don't trust them , I avoid them and you should too. It will never cost you more than $10 to go from this end of the city , to the other end). There are some xeom try to charge you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,422 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 31/1/2012 at 01:28

Cambodia/Vietnam Itinerary-Please Advise

Posted by mayhe on 28/12/2011 at 19:17

Could you please take a look at my itinerary and let me know if it's too much to do in 25 days? We are using airline miles and the closest we could get to Cambodia/Vietnam was Beijing and since we have to pay for the visa anyway, we decided to include it in the trip. June 16: Arrive Beijing at 10:30pm July 17: Beijing/Phnom Penh July 18: Phnom Penh July 19: Phnom Penh/Siem Reap July 20: Angkor Wat July 21: Angkor Wat July 22: Siem Reap/Phnom Penh July 23: Phnom Penh July 26: Mekong Delta July ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,698 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by chinarocks on 30/1/2012 at 09:45

Train to Hue at 19.00 after Ha Long trip - will I make it?

Posted by albatros11 on 28/1/2012 at 04:31

Another question. I am planning to catch a train to Hue at 19.00 from Hanoi just after I come back from Ha Long trip 2D1N. As far as I know, all trips return to Hanoi approx. at 16.30, which still gives some time before the train departures. My question is - does those Ha Long trips really arrive to Hanoi approx at 16.30, or they come back later? It is safer to book the train at 23.00 instead of this at 19.00? What is the best option? Thanks for any replies. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,561 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by albatros11 on 29/1/2012 at 13:51

Stuff to do in Saigon

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 26/1/2012 at 08:21

Hey all, I'll be bumming around in Saigon for the next week or so, and was wondering what particular things people have seen and done here they felt were worth checking out. Cheers, CC ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,350 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 27/1/2012 at 06:17

Saigon Skin Doc

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 26/1/2012 at 09:10

Ok, this one's a little unusual for me, but can anyone recommend a dermatologist in HCMC? I'm travelling long term and have a couple of new moles I should probably get checked out sooner rather than later. Also, can anyone give me an idea of the cost involved in seeing an English speaking doctor here about such things? I'm planning on going onto Cambodia overland after I'm done here, so won't be going through Bangkok (which would otherwise be the logical place to get medical stuff seen to). ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,460 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 27/1/2012 at 06:01

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page