Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Northern Entry to Sapa Via China?

Posted by mrbump on 5/1/2012 at 15:31

Hi we are looking to travel down towards Hanoi from China after visiting Yangshou and Guilin. However after studying a map and where I would like to visit i notice Sapa is a bit of a detour from Hanoi and it might make sense for us to continue on into China and head south at somwhere like Kunming? Can anyone advise if this route is passable and if it is possible for a decent Visa/Boarder crossing this way. Dont mind travelling off the beaten track but it might make life easier to head straig ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,888 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by mrbump on 9/1/2012 at 17:00

in 3 weeks from north to south...a little help with planning

Posted by thronesofblood on 7/1/2012 at 09:40

hello dear travelfish members a good friend of mine (21) and i (20) plan to go to vietnam this summer (july). we want to travel from hanoi to ho-chi-minh city in 3 weeks. we only want to buy our flights and a travel insurance in advance. everything else (eg. train tickets, trips, hotels, ...) we would like to buy spontaneously when we're actually in vietnam. our route would roughly look like this: Hanoi -> Hue -> Hoi An -> Nha Trang -> Mui Ne -> Ho-Chi-Minh City things ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,217 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by thronesofblood on 9/1/2012 at 09:11

Hanoi or HCMC or Both

Posted by ColinToolbox on 28/9/2011 at 03:39

I am planning a trip to Vietnam at the end of November, staying for approximately 2 1/2 weeks. It will be a small group of lads so we are looking for places with a lively nightlife and adventurous things to do like caving, canyoning, kayaking, diving etc. Where do you think the best places in Vietnam would be for us to go? Ideally we would like to go to 3 or a maximum of 4 places whilst there. I have been to Thailand previously and really enjoyed Phi Phi, Ko Phangan and Ko Tao. Do you think ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,707 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by stephanMc on 9/1/2012 at 06:21

Travel Partner Vietnam

Posted by garydeasy on 9/1/2012 at 05:24

Hi! I am a 26 yr old Irish guy. Who is looking to drive along the Vietnam coast on a motorbike. I will be hoping to drive for about 2-3 weeks and would love to do it with another person. I will be doing it sometime between Jan-Feb 2012 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,160 times, with no replies.

Tailor in Saigon/ ho chi minh city!

Posted by john85 on 17/3/2011 at 22:00

i will arrive in Saigon about middle of April. Want to have some shirts, pants and maybe suits made. Does anyone know where should i go for a good tailor? Any suggestion is appreciated. Tks John ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,080 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by angelaschonberg on 9/1/2012 at 05:16

Hanoi visaonarrivalopeningtimes

Posted by theglesgaboy on 7/1/2012 at 06:12

hello there iam arriving in hanoi airport 18jan at does anyone know if the visa on arrival office is open at this time? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,756 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by theglesgaboy on 9/1/2012 at 04:48

coins in Vietnam?

Posted by Patrick01 on 13/12/2011 at 22:07

Is there coinage in Vietnam?It is unclear to me,after looking on Wykepedia.I like to have some coinage in the wallet,so I can feel it,and make sure it is still there.Hundreds of little slips of paper(VD)do little to ensure me that my money purse is still safely tucked into the deepest recesses of my cargo pants! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,861 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 9/1/2012 at 03:47

Hostel in Hanoi Redux

Posted by alljokingaside on 5/1/2012 at 09:16

Hey all, A solo traveler here wondering if I should even bother to reserve a room/hostel for my first night in; word on the grapevine's that the hostel'll give your room away to anyone who comes earlier (w/ cash of course). The only caveat is that I fly in at around 11:30 and have the visa on arrival thing to deal with. Also, any recommendations for Ha Long tours? I'm thinking about 3 days and 2 nights w/ kayaking. I'm hearing word against Headsapan. How's Kangaroo Cafe or Ocean Tours? From t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,107 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jaclynn on 8/1/2012 at 09:06

Somewhere a little off the beaten track between Hue and Da Lat?

Posted by jacquelinehope on 5/1/2012 at 10:17

Hi, My family and I are spending a month in Vietnam in March and doing the whole North-South thing. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for somewhere to spend one night to break up the trip between Hue and Da Lat. I've been to Vietnam before but am not very familiar with the central highlands and the stretch of coast between Danang and Nha Trang. For reference we are going to Hoi An and Danang before Hue and traveling to Hue via train and the Hai Van pass. I'd be really inte ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,793 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 7/1/2012 at 21:42

Train or Air: Danang to HCM

Posted by alljokingaside on 26/12/2011 at 23:12

Is the train worth the time, or should I just fly? I'll be coming to Danang from Hanoi by train so....will it be redundant? Actually, how amazing is the Mekong Delta? I've googled Mekong Delta/Tours but find little information that I find useful (basic itinenaries, warnings about crappy tours, the BUYMEBUYME ads, etc). What about the Delta appealed to you? Also, I'll be heading to Cambodia after, but may bypass the Delta and bus in overnight from Danang (assuming this is possible), depending ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,699 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by vietnamvisit2 on 5/1/2012 at 22:20

Visa on arrival at HCMC

Posted by limeyben on 4/1/2012 at 18:26

Hi! This site has been so informative but I have a few enquiries you guys/gals could help me with. I'm flying to Bangkok on 9th Feb, arrive 10.30am and wait at airport for late pm flight to HCMC. I'm about to apply, online, for a "visa on arrival" approval letter that allows boarding the plane. This service costs about $20 The entry visa is stamped at the visa on arrival desk, costing $25. This service only available for air travel. I'm pretty sure these services are legit but I've hea ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,071 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 5/1/2012 at 14:08

Year Long SEA Journey

Posted by oneseatraveler on 3/1/2012 at 20:34

I'm looking to spend a year in SEA starting this fall (2012). I am currently thinking about flying into Hong Kong from the West Coast of the United States (where I'm from). From there I'd make my way to Ha Noi, Da Nang, and into Ho Chi Minh City. Then spend time in Cambodia, Thailand, come down through Malaysia, and fly home out of Singapore. I'm thinking I'd buy a motorbike in Vietnam. I plan on backpacking my way through the region. What are the most common itineraries for such expeditio ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,811 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 5/1/2012 at 13:27

Vietnam Visa Stuffup

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 4/1/2012 at 04:16

I can't believe it's taken me this long to notice, but I just had a closer look at my Vietnam visa and discovered they've short-changed me by a week. I definitely remember applying for 30 days, and surely this is the standard length of a tourist visa, but I've ultimately been granted 3 weeks. What's the deal? Now I'm left scrambling to figure out how not to p off immigration. As it stands, the visa expires this coming Saturday the 7th (it should have been the 14th). A woman working in my hotel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,937 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 5/1/2012 at 11:49

Booking tours

Posted by OlaMaz on 5/1/2012 at 10:35

Hi, I am planning a trip to Vietnam in April and i was wondering where its good to have tours booked ahead of time. I will be on a fairly tight schedule, and would like to go on a 3day trek in Sapa and a 2night cruise in Halong Bay. and i will have one day in Hanoi before i was hoping to head to Sapa, and don't want to spend the little time i have for seeing Hanoi, trying to book trips and finding out they aren't available.. or is it really simple booking once there, and any tour operaters any ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,827 times, with no replies.

Trek with homestay in Sa Pa

Posted by gorkreg on 3/1/2012 at 00:57

I am trying to organise a guide for a 3 or 4 days trek in Sapa with homestay accomodation. I want to get to a more remote areas than the usual spots (Cat Cat, etc) and I don't mind long hard treks. I would prefer to hire a local minority guide directly instead of an agency. I have sent an email to one but got no answer yet. In the hotel I am staying they are offering me these treks: A.- 3 days/2 nights (with transportation to different points included): Ban Khoang - Ta Phin (night) - Han Thao ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,302 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by gorkreg on 3/1/2012 at 22:48

Taking Thai Baht to Vietnam

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 10/12/2011 at 03:37

If I take a big stack of Thai 1000 baht notes with me to Vietnam, will I have any issues exchanging them for Dong in places like Hanoi and HCMC? OR Would I be better off converting all my excess baht into USD before leaving Thailand for Vietnam? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,257 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by CrankyCarrot on 3/1/2012 at 08:24

Are hotel bookings really necessary?

Posted by MikeTV on 9/12/2011 at 13:42

Hello, I'll be traveling through Vietnam in Jan.-Feb. 2012. I've booked a room my first night in Hanoi but haven't booked anything else yet. Do I need to consider booking a room ahead of time to consider the Tet holiday? How long does it last? Secondly, Phu Quoc seems to be difficult to find accommodation as well. Do I need to book ahead in Phu Quoc to secure a 'good' place in a good location or can I wing it? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,594 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MikeTV on 2/1/2012 at 16:41

Basic transportation question...

Posted by KimDecker on 2/9/2007 at 14:48

Hi there. I just discovered Travelfish within the past half hour and I already get the feeling that it's going to be a real boon in planning a trip to Vietnam. Can't wait! But before I get started, I have a very basic, first-time traveler question: How practical is traveling solo in Vietnam--from north to south or vice versa--without booking a flight, joining a tour, or renting a car? My only other experience traveling in Asia was in Japan, where the transportation infrastructure is so finely ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,767 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 31/12/2011 at 10:35

Ha Long Bay or Bangkok?

Posted by OlaMaz on 28/12/2011 at 11:30

My friend and I are planning a cycling trip thru vietnam and cambodia, and are tossing between adding on a trip to Ha Long Bay before our tour or adding a few days in Bangkok after our tour.. These are two very different places and we're having a difficult time deciding! are 2-3 days enough to see Bangkok? and should I save that for a whole trip of Thailand? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,295 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by MotHaiBa on 30/12/2011 at 14:59

New years in long hai alone

Posted by Nondumido on 30/12/2011 at 01:48

Been in Nam for just over a month and want to relax in long hai before going to Cambodia. Any advice? Dont want to be in the city on new year's eve or the day after. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,840 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page