Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

yen to VND? or US$ to VND?

Posted by mexijew8 on 22/12/2011 at 00:17

Hello, I am going to Vietnam tomorrow. I currently live in Japan so all of my money is in Japanese yen. Though, I do have money via my debit card back in the states. Here are my options. which is the best one 1. Convert my japanese yen to U.S dollars at the airport in japan. 2. Use my debit card in Vietnam to get U.S dollars or VND. 3. Convert my Yen to VND once i get to vietnam (i dont know how viable this is but I wanted to put it out there). I know that generally airports dont give good rat ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,963 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 22/12/2011 at 22:11

Monkey Island Resort or Hotel in Cat Ba?

Posted by barbarajose53 on 22/12/2011 at 02:03

Dear All, I have plan to visit Cat Ba Island, I find some hotel and resort in Cat Ba. I see Monkey Island Resort is private island far from Cat ba Island 10 minutes go by boat, this is bungalow. I like it so much. But I afraid it is cold, who had come there, can you sharing experiance? Thanks Barbara Jose ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,539 times, with no replies.

Saigon - Hanoi by Rental Motorbike

Posted by jammac on 23/11/2011 at 17:23

Hi all, I'm planning to rent a bike and ride it from Saigon to Hanoi, Via Cambodia and Laos and then back to Saigon. I've some questions on the roads and places to visit en route/return route; How many miles can you expect to cover in a day of riding? How often are repair centres? (I take it not all rental places keep their bikes in 'mint' condition) Do the roads differ in Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos? What places would you reccomend to visit/stay at? Is 3 weeks enough for this journey? approx 2500 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,166 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by stik86 on 21/12/2011 at 19:48

Easy Rider recommendation for Nha Trang!

Posted by kartoscha on 20/12/2011 at 23:39

Since it is not easy to find a good Easy Rider, do to the mass of them, I thought I'd take the chance to just give a recommendation for one of them. I am travelling as a girl by myself, so of course I was very skeptical to get on a bike with some stranger. I had a 3-day tour from Nha Trang to Saigon and am very glad I took this alternative to the bus. The trip was just amazing! The Easy Rider I went with was Son, a 29 year old guy, who is been doing this for the last 6 years now. He showed m ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,755 times, with no replies.

Christmas alone in HCMC!

Posted by theoryofhobbes on 18/10/2011 at 09:42

Are there any spots in HCMC/Saigon or surrounding areas where Western folks and ex-pats get together to celebrate Christmas? I'll be in HCMC until December 22, and may stick around through the holiday. Would love to celebrate with others! -Stephanie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,026 times, with 21 replies. Last reply by tbk3355 on 20/12/2011 at 04:43

Phu Quoc island over new years

Posted by kylientanis on 20/12/2011 at 01:36

Hi! So we have been travelling around vietnam for 3 weeks and have had no trouble finding accommodation but now would like to head to Phu Quoc Island from 29/12/11- 5/01/12, having trouble finding accommodation on the net and wondering what everyones experience has been there, would we be completely crazy to show up and try and find somewhere or should we book whatever we can find now? thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,193 times, with no replies.

Hue / Hoi An or Mekong - Siem Reap overland?

Posted by sunday_stroll on 19/12/2011 at 05:39

Hi Everybody I have almost three weeks in Vietnam which includes a few days at the end in Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat. Not nearly enough time but it is all I can manage unfortunately. I plan on seeing Hanoi, Halong Bay, maybe Sapa, Ho Chi Minh and the Mekong Delta. My question is: Do I include Hue / Hoi An in my trip or do I use that time and go overland from the Mekong to Siem Reap via Phnom Penh (via a local tour)? Am having trouble deciding how to best spend my time. Any advice would be g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,385 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by vietnamvisit1 on 19/12/2011 at 20:23

2 weeks itinerary in Vietnam - advice needed

Posted by blimunda on 17/11/2011 at 05:58

Hello, I've been reading for quite a while this amazing website and I am here to see if someone can help me with my itinerary. I will have 3 weeks vacation in May and it will be my first visit to Vietnam. I would prefer to dedicate 2 weeks to this country and then the last week in Krabi Beach/Koh Samui (yet to be decided) or some other place with very nice white sandy beaches just to relaxe after all I'll be doing the first 2 weeks of my itinerary. Your advice would be very much appreciate ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,720 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by blimunda on 16/12/2011 at 05:32

26 days HCM-Hanoi via Cambodia, Laos

Posted by Lyinginthesun on 7/12/2011 at 01:09

Hey, I'm planning a 26 day trip in Jan/Feb, and am wondering if my proposed route is feasible in that time. I intend to travel from HCM to Cambodia, back to Vietnam, up to Laos, over to Sa Pa and then to Ha Noi to depart. I would prefer to spend a day or 2 in each location. Specifically I land in HCM, go south to Can Tho, then through Chau Doc to Phnom Penh . From Phnom Penh I intended to head to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. Then from Siem Reap to Ban Lung in Ratanakiri, over to Pleiku ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,015 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by vietnamvisit1 on 16/12/2011 at 03:52

Hanoi-Hue-Nha Trang-Saigon

Posted by danielbis on 11/12/2011 at 14:44

thinking of doing these 4 cities next may..already searched google about possible see&do, transport between locations and so on...but little help is always much appreciated. i only have 12 days... the plan would be like this : Hanoi - 1 day...Ha Long Bay - 2 days then flight to Hue...i guess 2 days would be enough Hue - Nha Trang...not sure..some say the train trip is quite nice(at least Hue - Da Nang), but rather long...is there any nightsleepr?...but i will miss the sights.. Nha Tran ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,030 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by vietnamvisit1 on 16/12/2011 at 03:14

New Years in Nha Trang

Posted by khizarhayat on 3/12/2011 at 17:05

I will be traveling to Vietnam on 28th of December, will spend couple of days in HCMC and the move on towards Nha Trang as i have been told beach party takes place in Nha Trang but i am not sure how is it going to be, last year i was at full moon in Thailand and i am guessing it will be not same like that. I was hoping if any of you can let me know what will be the best party place on 31st of December? (preferably beach, may be a mini full moon). ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,536 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by danielleandmike on 14/12/2011 at 19:00

currency rates at Noi Bai

Posted by peuge on 11/12/2011 at 01:59

Hey, what's the change rates nowadays at Hanoi airport? And is there more than one spot to change the money? I'm more interested in euros, but if you've changed USD, that info is also valuable. And how much do they take as a"service fee"? Is it a flat rate or a certain percentage? Thanks for the help! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,764 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by peuge on 14/12/2011 at 01:03

pronunciation

Posted by Patrick01 on 13/12/2011 at 11:06

Does anybody have a reasonable idea about how Phu Quoc is pronounced?I had a native Vietnamese friend over for dinner 2 weeks ago,and she pronounced it quite differently then I expected.I should have tape recorded her.I'll be spending a lot of time there,want to be able to pronounce it for the folks back home! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,179 times, with no replies.

What is the best way to get from HCMC to Phu Quoc at Christmas time?

Posted by hanonthemove on 11/12/2011 at 21:29

Hi Folks, Any ideas? We don't want to fly and are trying to book our transport ahead aware that it is a busy time but we can't find any details/ websites for bus/ boat companies that do the HCMC to Phu Quoc journey. Can anyone recommend bus/boat companies and suggest any hints or tips for this stretch of the journey? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,602 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc - New Year's Eve

Posted by DW_Toronto on 29/11/2011 at 15:28

Wondering if anyone had any tips for good things to look for on Phu Quoc for (Western) New Year's Eve - am travelling alone and would love to find a party (nothing TOO crazy) for midnight. Thought I'd see if anyone had any tips or places they found particularly fun on New Year's Eve. First time doing a trip like this on my own so I'm a bit green and not sure what to expect when I arrive. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,650 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by peekel on 11/12/2011 at 07:17

Christmas in Ho Chi Minh

Posted by liamjobrien on 19/11/2009 at 00:55

Hi, Me and my two friends are going to be in Ho Chi Minh for Christmas day and I was wondering would anyone have any recommendations of what to do? And more importantly where to go for Christmas dinner? Regards, Liam. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,000 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by peekel on 11/12/2011 at 07:06

Must-sees in Northern Vietnam?

Posted by jacquelinehope on 14/11/2011 at 21:10

Hi, I'm going to be in Vietnam for 22 days in March 2012 with my family and was wondering what people would recommend to see/visit in Northern Vietnam (north of Hue) I have a pretty good idea of where to go in the south (Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Da Lat, Saigon) as I've travelled through the south before. Mum wants to go to Ha Long Bay and we are flying into Hanoi so that is probably four-five days of our trip gone. Thanks Jac ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,294 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by arialsabrina on 11/12/2011 at 03:09

Booking flight Hanoi-Bangkok

Posted by Ronald on 4/12/2011 at 08:30

Dear all, we wish to book a flight from Hanoi to Bangkok for January 2nd, but are wondering if it is best to book it upfront or last-minute in Hanoi. The problem is that there will be a slight chance that we won't make it to Hanoi and I don't want to spend money if it's not really necessary. So my question is: will there be a chance -being high season around Christmas- that flights are fully booked or will have dramatically higher rates? And is it better to book online or through local travel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,451 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by peuge on 11/12/2011 at 02:40

Favourite Vietnam Region

Posted by katerpillar on 8/12/2011 at 06:51

If you had only one region to visit in Vietnam, which one would you choose? I'm headed on my first backpacking trip through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam this spring, and I'm only going to have about a week/10 days in Vietnam because I'm really trying to focus on the other 3 countries this time around. I would like a taste however, but I'm wondering what the best region to experience a little bit of Vietnam would be. Should we go to Ho Chi Minh and the Mekong Delta, exploring some of t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,486 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 10/12/2011 at 21:32

kitesurfing mui ne? kittyesurfing vietnam?

Posted by andun on 21/11/2011 at 05:33

Hi has anybody tried kitesurfing in vietnam or the kitesurf school in mui ne?? Ive just started learning to kietsurf and would ike to continue some lessons as I will have 2 weeks travelling along the vietnam coast starting 26th november. Does anyone know of good spots or good schools to learn? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,751 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by andun on 10/12/2011 at 18:58

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page