Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Where to go from HCMC?

Posted by thewanderer on 19/10/2011 at 20:30

Me and my girlfriend arrive in HCMC on the 28th of November - it's the first stop of our 7 week tour around South-East Asia and we were wondering where we should visit in Southern Vietnam. We would love to go up to Halong Bay but worry it would take up too much time, with only 7 weeks to get back to Kuala Lumpar for our flight to Auckland! So any recommendations, regarding places to see in Vietnam, would be much appreciated. The Wanderer ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,217 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by namthin on 20/10/2011 at 11:11

Current weather in Vietnam

Posted by tijana88 on 4/10/2011 at 23:17

Hi everyone, I am arriving in Hanoi on October 28 and will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks approximately. I am hoping to end my trip on Phu Quoc. I've read the weather page but was wondering whether the weather will be nice enough to be able to lie on the beach on Phu Quoc from approximately November 7-10? Also, for the purposes of knowing what to pack, what kind of weather can I expect in Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An and HCMC at the end of October/beginning of November? Thanks, Tijana ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,179 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by LinhandJulie on 17/10/2011 at 00:56

Tips on travelling in Vietnam

Posted by jultrip on 20/6/2011 at 12:05

Hi! If you need any tips on travelling around Vietnam, let me know. Working over here and travelling around Asia. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,566 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by summerstarlite on 10/10/2011 at 20:15

20 Days in Viet Nam Itinerary!

Posted by summerstarlite on 8/10/2011 at 13:45

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Viet Nam this December. We're going to be there for about a month but since we have to visit each other family, we'll probably have about 20 days to ourselves. This is our first trip out of the country together. My boyfriend wants to go with the flow and kinda plan as we go but I want a detailed itinerary. My schedule is really crazy so I try my best to squeeze in a little research here and there everyday. If anyone has an itinerary and willing to s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,714 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 9/10/2011 at 11:43

11 Days in Vietnam - Tips Needed!

Posted by Roonn on 7/10/2011 at 19:15

Hi, I'll likely visit Vietnam for 11 days, from November 4th to November 14th (date tentative), and I know that isn't enough time for a country so rich in culture and history, but I'd like to see what I can do! The following are places that I was thinking of visiting, and suggestions are always very welcome: Hanoi - Old Quarter - Hoan Kiem Lake - Hoa Lo Prison - Temple of Literature - Ba Dinh Square The North - Sapa - Ha Long Bay - Dien Bien Phu North Central - Phong Nha Caves HCMC - B ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,529 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chinarocks on 7/10/2011 at 20:59

Error on my visa stamp noticed 10 months later -- huge overstay?

Posted by gumby on 8/9/2011 at 02:02

I got a 12 month B3 visa at the Vietnam consulate in Sihanoukville in November 2010 and only noticed today that the VN immigration guy stamped it wrong. Instead of being permitted to stay 12 months his stamp only gave me 15 days, or 35 days (the guy who stamped it apparently first wrote a date in the "permitted to stay until" space and then wrote a different date over it, so I am not sure what the date actually is, it's pretty illegible. But the year is clearly legible and it says &q ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,667 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by gumby on 2/10/2011 at 11:09

Ideas on where to spend Christmas?

Posted by heidisueelvus on 21/8/2010 at 00:16

We're going to be in southern SE Asia for Christmas 2010 and would like to find a pleasant place to spend it. Our plans are flexible but we need to be close to an airport because I need to fly back to the US the day after Christmas. We will be around the Mekong Delta, Cambodia or So. Laos aroung that time. We are open to any suggestions. Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,956 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by KevandJho on 1/10/2011 at 22:28

Phong Nha cave help!

Posted by rachel123 on 7/9/2011 at 14:47

Hi, we are currently in Hue and would like to go to see the caves in Phong Nha, but on our own not on a day tour from Hue as we would like to go straight onto Ninh Binh after. Can anyone help with the below questions as im very confused after reading/hearing different things - 1. Is it possible to visit the newly chartered caves of Son Doong now? If so how? 2. If not i think 'paradise' cave would be best for us as the main one sounds packed and very touristed, how can we go about getting the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,456 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by KevandJho on 1/10/2011 at 09:49

HCM city and onwards...

Posted by loumichael on 28/9/2011 at 16:52

Hi All, My boyfriend and I will be flying in to HCM on the 29th October for two weeks. We are conscious after reading all the posts on here not to try and take on too much of a big country so have decided to head south from HCM. Initial thoughts are to take the costal route down (this is where we are struggling) and around to get the ferry to Phu quoc for some chill time and then make out way back via the inland Chau doc and Can tho route back to HCM. we are keen to be as indepandant as possib ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,102 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by loumichael on 30/9/2011 at 17:42

Best way to Travel from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap

Posted by Arigato9 on 19/7/2011 at 13:17

Hi, My girlfriend and I will be flying into ho chi minh city from the philippines in Mid september and I have been researching the best ways to get from Saigon to Siem Reap. Can anyone tell me the most effective way to go about this? I was told once in Ho Chi Minh that I can find cheaper air travel through a tour agency, is this true? Also, is their any direct bus routes and if so which is the best and fastest? I really appreciate your feedback!! Peace Brien ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 89,235 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Arigato9 on 30/9/2011 at 10:30

Vietnam and Thailand for 4 weeks

Posted by tijana88 on 27/9/2011 at 01:24

Hi everyone, I am planning a trip to Vietnam and Thailand sometime in late October/early November and staying until late November/early December. I was thinking of splitting up my 4 weeks evenly between the 2 countries so staying in each for 2 weeks. The purpose of my trip is mainly to relax and see interesting things. I definitely don't want to cram as much as possible in there and get exhausted. I am mainly looking for nice beaches! So weather is really important. I am flying from Canada and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,990 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Nixxypie on 28/9/2011 at 00:25

Ha Noi to Sam Neua via Mai Chau & NaMeo/NamXoi border

Posted by tf_geckozy on 6/4/2009 at 03:22

Hello! everybody. I'll intoroduce a route from VN to Laos still not so popular for foreigners from my recent trip. ■Ha Noi to Sam Neua via Mai Chau & NaMeo/NamXoi border■by only local transports(by bus & xe-om=motobike taxi) There exists one more route from Ha Noi to Sam Neua for going to LPB via Mai Chau & NaMeo/NamXoi border. As far as I checked while I was travelling this route, between Ha Noi and Sam Neua and between Mai Chau and Na Meo there still exists no direc ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 16,217 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by LD on 27/9/2011 at 22:18

Warning: Bad Halong Bay Trip!

Posted by AmandaJordan on 9/7/2007 at 22:27

Was just in halong bay. Booked the trip through Camilla 5 hotel but the tour company was called halong heritage travel. Although we had an amazing time because the group of people was fantastic the trip was awful. I guess as was said in the halong bay travelfish review you are more likely to have a fun group of people on one of the budget trips but you sacrifice service - big time. Just read a post on thorn tree lonely planet forum about someone who drowned on halong heritage travel trip because ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 30,270 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by Marget_love on 27/9/2011 at 08:56

Hotel in Hanoi for 1 am arrival

Posted by briannabloch on 24/9/2011 at 06:04

Hey everyone, My boyfriend and I are arriving in Hanoi pretty late at night, as in 1 AM. We were wondering if anyone knows of a hotel that can be booked online that accepts people this late. Any recommendations anyone? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,232 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 26/9/2011 at 15:05

Driver from My Tho to Chau Doc?

Posted by PG on 25/9/2011 at 07:18

Hi, We only have a few days in the Mekong Delta and I was thinking it would be best to get to Chau Doc on the first day and take day trips from here, to avoid having to travel each day (before heading up to Phnom Penh via boat). I was thinking of taking the bus from HCMC to My Tho , spending some time there then was wondering if it is possible to driver from My Tho to Chau Doc on that same day, stopping along the way? Does anyone know if this is possible, how long it would take, cost a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,354 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 25/9/2011 at 23:32

Planning around Tet in South Vietnam

Posted by jd011 on 22/9/2011 at 11:49

Hi, I'm going to be in Vietnam from 19th Jan - 5th Feb flying in HCMC. Tet is on the 23rd Jan this year i think. I am wanting to visit the Mekong Delta, Phu Quoc, Hue, Hoi An. I was wondering where I should be before and after Tet, as I know some places go really quiet over Tet while others are busy. Places like the Mekong Delta wouldnt be the same if I went when the floating markets werent fully operating etc. Not really sure about the other places though, and how Tet would affect my visit. Tha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,435 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jd011 on 24/9/2011 at 21:39

Train journeys from HCMC to Mui Ne

Posted by nobbystylus on 26/11/2009 at 02:28

Hi all I can only find details of trains going first thing in the morning (6.45am or 7.30am) to Mui Ne , but this is no good for our schedule (arriving from phu quoc at 10.40am). Are there any trains going from HCMC to Mui Ne (phan thiet) any time after 12 ish? I can't seem to find reliable information and the Vietnam Train Website's English pages aren't working for some reason. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,477 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by rbakels on 23/9/2011 at 18:27

Transit....HCMC to Mui Ne

Posted by Greggor58 on 31/12/2009 at 10:36

Hi all...Im looking for bus companies that transit between HCMC and Mui Ne...and Im struggling to find anything on-line...other than Hanh and Sinh.. Would anybody be able to provide any info that could help... If I dont have to I WONT use the open bus system...Ill certainly be avoiding Hanh Cafe and Sinh is only a last resort.. Ive read here and there about other buses that night do this run but I can find any info.. Would anybody know how much a taxi might cost? Thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,634 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by andrekull on 23/9/2011 at 18:02

HCMC to Muine

Posted by mabrock71 on 23/4/2008 at 16:40

I want to take a bus to muine from HCMC but don't want to take the 'open tour' buses. does anyone have any info on the buses from mien dong station. I want to go around midday is that possible? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,328 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by andrekull on 23/9/2011 at 17:53

Bus schedule from Mui Ne to HCMC?

Posted by beckim79 on 19/12/2009 at 00:24

Have limited time in Mui Ne and need to get back to HCMC as soon as possible. Does anybody know when the buses run to HCMC? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,965 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by andrekull on 23/9/2011 at 17:51

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page