Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Best way to Travel from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap

Posted by Arigato9 on 19/7/2011 at 13:17

Hi, My girlfriend and I will be flying into ho chi minh city from the philippines in Mid september and I have been researching the best ways to get from Saigon to Siem Reap. Can anyone tell me the most effective way to go about this? I was told once in Ho Chi Minh that I can find cheaper air travel through a tour agency, is this true? Also, is their any direct bus routes and if so which is the best and fastest? I really appreciate your feedback!! Peace Brien ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 94,017 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Arigato9 on 30/9/2011 at 10:30

Vietnam and Thailand for 4 weeks

Posted by tijana88 on 27/9/2011 at 01:24

Hi everyone, I am planning a trip to Vietnam and Thailand sometime in late October/early November and staying until late November/early December. I was thinking of splitting up my 4 weeks evenly between the 2 countries so staying in each for 2 weeks. The purpose of my trip is mainly to relax and see interesting things. I definitely don't want to cram as much as possible in there and get exhausted. I am mainly looking for nice beaches! So weather is really important. I am flying from Canada and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,015 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Nixxypie on 28/9/2011 at 00:25

Ha Noi to Sam Neua via Mai Chau & NaMeo/NamXoi border

Posted by tf_geckozy on 6/4/2009 at 03:22

Hello! everybody. I'll intoroduce a route from VN to Laos still not so popular for foreigners from my recent trip. ■Ha Noi to Sam Neua via Mai Chau & NaMeo/NamXoi border■by only local transports(by bus & xe-om=motobike taxi) There exists one more route from Ha Noi to Sam Neua for going to LPB via Mai Chau & NaMeo/NamXoi border. As far as I checked while I was travelling this route, between Ha Noi and Sam Neua and between Mai Chau and Na Meo there still exists no direc ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 16,488 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by LD on 27/9/2011 at 22:18

Warning: Bad Halong Bay Trip!

Posted by AmandaJordan on 9/7/2007 at 22:27

Was just in halong bay. Booked the trip through Camilla 5 hotel but the tour company was called halong heritage travel. Although we had an amazing time because the group of people was fantastic the trip was awful. I guess as was said in the halong bay travelfish review you are more likely to have a fun group of people on one of the budget trips but you sacrifice service - big time. Just read a post on thorn tree lonely planet forum about someone who drowned on halong heritage travel trip because ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 30,805 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by Marget_love on 27/9/2011 at 08:56

Hotel in Hanoi for 1 am arrival

Posted by briannabloch on 24/9/2011 at 06:04

Hey everyone, My boyfriend and I are arriving in Hanoi pretty late at night, as in 1 AM. We were wondering if anyone knows of a hotel that can be booked online that accepts people this late. Any recommendations anyone? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,256 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 26/9/2011 at 15:05

Driver from My Tho to Chau Doc?

Posted by PG on 25/9/2011 at 07:18

Hi, We only have a few days in the Mekong Delta and I was thinking it would be best to get to Chau Doc on the first day and take day trips from here, to avoid having to travel each day (before heading up to Phnom Penh via boat). I was thinking of taking the bus from HCMC to My Tho , spending some time there then was wondering if it is possible to driver from My Tho to Chau Doc on that same day, stopping along the way? Does anyone know if this is possible, how long it would take, cost a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,371 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 25/9/2011 at 23:32

Planning around Tet in South Vietnam

Posted by jd011 on 22/9/2011 at 11:49

Hi, I'm going to be in Vietnam from 19th Jan - 5th Feb flying in HCMC. Tet is on the 23rd Jan this year i think. I am wanting to visit the Mekong Delta, Phu Quoc, Hue, Hoi An. I was wondering where I should be before and after Tet, as I know some places go really quiet over Tet while others are busy. Places like the Mekong Delta wouldnt be the same if I went when the floating markets werent fully operating etc. Not really sure about the other places though, and how Tet would affect my visit. Tha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,458 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jd011 on 24/9/2011 at 21:39

Train journeys from HCMC to Mui Ne

Posted by nobbystylus on 26/11/2009 at 02:28

Hi all I can only find details of trains going first thing in the morning (6.45am or 7.30am) to Mui Ne , but this is no good for our schedule (arriving from phu quoc at 10.40am). Are there any trains going from HCMC to Mui Ne (phan thiet) any time after 12 ish? I can't seem to find reliable information and the Vietnam Train Website's English pages aren't working for some reason. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,516 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by rbakels on 23/9/2011 at 18:27

Transit....HCMC to Mui Ne

Posted by Greggor58 on 31/12/2009 at 10:36

Hi all...Im looking for bus companies that transit between HCMC and Mui Ne...and Im struggling to find anything on-line...other than Hanh and Sinh.. Would anybody be able to provide any info that could help... If I dont have to I WONT use the open bus system...Ill certainly be avoiding Hanh Cafe and Sinh is only a last resort.. Ive read here and there about other buses that night do this run but I can find any info.. Would anybody know how much a taxi might cost? Thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,648 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by andrekull on 23/9/2011 at 18:02

HCMC to Muine

Posted by mabrock71 on 23/4/2008 at 16:40

I want to take a bus to muine from HCMC but don't want to take the 'open tour' buses. does anyone have any info on the buses from mien dong station. I want to go around midday is that possible? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,369 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by andrekull on 23/9/2011 at 17:53

Bus schedule from Mui Ne to HCMC?

Posted by beckim79 on 19/12/2009 at 00:24

Have limited time in Mui Ne and need to get back to HCMC as soon as possible. Does anybody know when the buses run to HCMC? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,025 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by andrekull on 23/9/2011 at 17:51

2 Week Vietnam Honeymoon in December

Posted by CBaker on 23/9/2011 at 04:59

My husband and I are flying into Bangkok in early December and want to make a swift departure from Thailand to start exploring Vietnam for our 2 week long honeymoon. We want to stick to just Southern Vietnam for time and weather (we'll be coming from the snow and would love to spare ourselves any coats). But would like to take a possible side trip to see Angkor Wat. What would you suggest? Heading straight to Angkor from BKK - or going to Ho Chi Minh first and then down. I have my heart set ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,095 times, with no replies.

If you had to choose- Hanoi, HCMC & Con Dao

Posted by sansucci on 17/9/2011 at 11:43

Yes, another itinerary help request! If you had 10 full days, only 3-4 places in Vietnam where would you choose? Adventurous couple trying to get a mix of touristy can't-miss with off-the-beaten track in ten short days...would like to fit a remote village in here like mai chau but don't want to rush...would love feedback...any recent travel reports on Con Dao? Like the idea of secluded beach fix to end the trip. 1: Hanoi 2: Hanoi 3: Halong Bay (overnight/kayak) 4: Halong Bay 5: Hanoi- Ho Chi M ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,736 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 21/9/2011 at 15:31

Mekong tour: advices / companions in Vinh Long or Ben tre, now ?

Posted by juju007 on 21/9/2011 at 07:16

Hello, I'm currently in Vinh Long and plan to go to Ben Tre tomorrow (probably through taxi+ferry+public bus path instead of the bus through My Tho ) before heading to HCMC. I'm trying to find a cheap tour on mekong river. For now, - in Vinh Long, only had 300k Dong/15$ tour through hotel or street offer for ~5h tour (An binh, Cai be floating market, bonsai garden, ...; not sure if per person or per boat). Cuu Long Tourist has 25$ per boat for the same trip. - in Can Tho, starting price ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,338 times, with no replies.

1 month in Vietnam South-North Itinerary! Is it any good?

Posted by Peachula on 10/6/2011 at 12:05

Okay, so I am a 20 yr old female from Canada traveling solo through Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and ending in Thailand. This is my first ever backpacking trip and after much searching the culture, beauty and excitement of SEA has drawn me in. I don't want to miss out on anything and have been doing a TON of researching (amazing help from this site, especially) so if anyone could help me out, I have a general itinerary planned out. I will be heading to HCMC last week of September and arriving back ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,467 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by mysticpaki on 20/9/2011 at 04:10

Vinh Moc tunnels from Hoi An?

Posted by stefanw on 19/9/2011 at 10:30

I'm wondering what the travel time from Hoi An to the Vinh Moc tunnels are and if anyone has done it. I probably doubt many people has organised tours from there but I could be wrong. Is it worth it? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,211 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by busylizzy on 20/9/2011 at 03:23

3 Week Itinerary - Any tips to improve it?

Posted by lithium on 6/9/2011 at 00:48

I've finalised my itinerary for Vietnam and would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve it. Sunday 20-Nov Arrive Hanoi @ 8am and make arrangements for Sapa / Halong Bay Trip + book train ticket from Ninh Binh to Hue Monday 21-Nov Hanoi Tuesday 22-Nov Leave for Halong Bay @ 7:30 am. Leave luggage @ hotel. Sleep on Cat Ba Wednesday 23-Nov Halong Bay. Sleep on Cat Ba Thursday 24-Nov Return to Hanoi @ 4pm and get overnight train to Sapa @ 8:30 pm. Leave luggage @ h ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,150 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 19/9/2011 at 11:28

Mekong Delta

Posted by Vero123 on 7/7/2011 at 06:15

Hello everybody, we are 2 people and we are going to arrive to HCMC by train at 5a.m on the July 19 th and to leave the HCMC in the moring of the 21st of July (to continue our trip to Combodia) . We'd like to spent our 2 days in this place visiting the Delta of Mekong. I spent a lot of time in the internet trying to find the best way to do it, but I didn't succeded. What it the best way? I found 2 types of organised tours 2 days/1 night in the delta. One type is about 170 USD per person and oth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,567 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by Nixxypie on 18/9/2011 at 17:27

Halong Bay vs. Bai Tu Long Bay

Posted by karuthless on 21/6/2011 at 15:53

Hello. Has anybody visited Bai Tu Long Bay (immediately Northeast of Halong Bay)? We were initially planning to visit Halong Bay and Cat Ba, but have the option of doing a tour (overnight on junk, kayakking, with Handspan) in Bai Tu Long Bay instead (which is supposed to be far less crowded and less developed). However, I was wondering whether the scenery in Bai Tu Long is quite as dramatic as in Ha Long Bay? Is it just a Lite-version of Halong Bay, or is it just as stunning in natural beauty? T ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,489 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by fullmoon on 18/9/2011 at 14:40

Na Trang or Mui Ne

Posted by benh on 12/6/2008 at 20:15

Which would you chose if you could only visit one? We are on holiday in Jan 09 & cannot decide which would be better for a 3 day visit. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,519 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by shango266 on 18/9/2011 at 13:42

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page