Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Haircut in HCMC

Posted by Randy on 6/2/2011 at 02:30

...To me, every trip into vn, one of my "habits" is...HairCut in Vietnam. Compared to Western environments, I couldn't find NOWHERE would give you a better, detail haircut services...and...as CHEAP as in Vietnam. In fact, every trip in vn, I visited barbershops every...10 days. There, you can relax or even nap on the chair(which sometimes I did) while the barber carefully trims your hair the way you want, listen to music...the way you want if you don't want to listen to...their Vietnam ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,161 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by riverspot on 24/7/2011 at 04:25

Halong Bay:Oriental Sail/Tropical Sails or Columbus Travel?

Posted by noakess on 10/6/2010 at 00:20

Hi, I'm looking for 2 day/1 night tour of Halong Bay. don't mind paying a little extra - for nice food/cabin/guideā€¦ have contacted these 3 (after reading travelfish/tripadvisor forums)- all replied within 24 hours and all offer similar tours. 1. Oriental Sails/Calypso Cruiser 2 Tropical Sails (Dragon's Pearl or Lagoon Explorer 3. Columbus Travel - Pinta cruiser (Pint Gold has retired) Can anyone recommend one of th e3? plan to go around Nov 2oth 2010. We are a 30 year old couple. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,936 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by Kama on 23/7/2011 at 05:09

Tailor Made Polo Shirts

Posted by colourco on 19/2/2011 at 05:31

We will be in Hanoi from March 3 to 10 and want to get about 100 polo shirts made with embroidery. Is this something that they can do? Where is the best place to go to get good quality shirts without getting ripped off? Anyone have any idea what they cost? Any advice will be appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,424 times, with no replies.

tailor in saigon

Posted by lee123 on 21/2/2011 at 10:29

I wanted clothes, I can sew clothes where ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,657 times, with no replies.

Trip planning from NY to SE Asia

Posted by esmith5112 on 20/7/2011 at 00:26

I am planning to visit Ho Chi Minh City for 1.5 weeks at the end of September and then travelling to Bangkok for 1.5 weeks at the beginning of October. Are there any concerns with the weather during this time of the year? I know that it is still the rainy season but I wasn't sure if it would make the trip much better to try and push it back to November. I want to have the best experience I can for my first trip to SE Asia but the Sept to Oct works better with my schedule. Also, any flight/ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,047 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by esmith5112 on 22/7/2011 at 01:33

Long term rental Mui Ne Bay

Posted by EvelienVeenstra on 22/9/2008 at 21:02

Hello! i'm from holland and planning a trip to Vietnam, Mui Ne Bay for a period of 3 months. I'm looking for a long term rental (house/apartment) with a internet cornection. The internet cornection is important for me because i have to do my work from this place. Can anybody give me some information about this? Thanks! greetings Evelien ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,108 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Riddim_mann on 20/7/2011 at 15:02

Phu Quoc quiet place to stay

Posted by bamigoreng257 on 18/7/2011 at 14:52

Hi guys, I was wondering if somebody could tell me nice place to stay on Phu Quoc island. My girlfriend and I will be flying down on the 22nd of July and we'll be staying for about a week.Our plan was to go to Mui Ne but I found out that its really crowded so we decided to go to Phu Quoc instead. We are looking for a quiet romantic place,few or even better no people on the beach and it should be affordable aswell (not more than 15 USD a night). I'd really appreciate it if someone could help m ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,389 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 19/7/2011 at 14:02

Chau Doc to Vinh Long Bus?

Posted by fredrowe on 19/7/2011 at 07:17

Are there buses between Chau Doc and Vinh Long? If not, what is the best way to do this trip? If so, I'd appreciate advice on where to catch them, frequency of buses, duration of trip and cost. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,114 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by JasonB on 19/7/2011 at 07:59

Sleeper train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh via Hue

Posted by kelpeta on 16/11/2007 at 16:53

Hi I'm trying to find out if I buy a ticket on the overnight train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh... 1)can I get off at Hue, wonder around for the day, and get back on the next overnight train in Hue to get to Ho Chi Minh City or would I need two separate tickets? 2)Any ideas of the cost of tickets? I've heard US$35, but not sure if thats just to Hue or through to HCMC. 3)Is Hue worth the stop if Im pushed for time? Thinking about maybe flying from Hanoi to HCMC, but budget wise I want to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 33,976 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by jamedannock on 14/7/2011 at 08:49

Hanoi Itinery Suggestion

Posted by jas663 on 13/7/2011 at 02:29

This is my first time to Vietnam and I have only 8 days. Arrival and departure in Hanoi airport. Basically will focus more in Hanoi. I will be travel next week. I have list out some places which I would like to explore and please suggest some other places which can fit into my schedule. I love food and also any good or nice food to recommend, thank you!!! 1st & 2nd day- Stay in Old Quarter and explore the city (what and where can I explore?) 3rd day- Grab an overnight train to Lao Cao, th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,634 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jas663 on 13/7/2011 at 14:22

Hanoi route

Posted by lagale on 10/7/2011 at 20:43

All the guidebooks state you should go Hanoi--Hue--Hoi An--HCM. However my friend who travels often there says he prefers Hanoi--Hoi An--Hue--HCM. It seems the travel time is the same although it does 'appear' to be backtracking. Any comments? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,764 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by violets on 12/7/2011 at 06:27

Vietnam Airlines flight to Phu Quoc Island

Posted by hotwings on 13/6/2007 at 13:33

Hello, I understand there are 2 routes to Phu Quoc island. One from Rach Gia and the other from HCMC. I also read that both flights are significantly more expensive when not purchasing within Vietnam. Does anyone have an idea on how much it would cost purchasing a ticket outside of Vietnam? Say in Hong Kong or in Cambodia? I would like to purchase the ticket in advance since i hear the flights to Phu Quoc are very popular. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,601 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by smartlyndy on 11/7/2011 at 20:47

Questions about trekking Sapa (hotel and backpack)

Posted by amarie on 2/7/2011 at 23:57

Hello, I'm going to be trekking in Sapa in Mid-July and am wondering if I need to book a hotel in advance. If so, are there any suggestions? I've heard good things about the Cat Cat Hotel and am wondering if anyone can verify this choice. Also, if I plan on staying for three or so days, should I get a hotel for one night and then head off on a trek? Is an overnight stay in a village worthwhile or necessary? Should I just use my small day pack for an overnight stay in a village? It seems ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,690 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by nguyentmdt on 11/7/2011 at 16:10

Train from Hanoi to Saigon..Hop ON/OFF

Posted by CRASHT1224 on 5/3/2010 at 00:18

I'll be traveling through Vietnam in April. Looking to go from Hanoi down to Saigon. From everything Ive read, the train does the whole leg, but Id like to get on and off at various spots. I looked at this schedule provided by travelfish: http://www.travelfish.org/resources/vietnam-railways.pdf but am confused about how to book tickets/costs. How do I calculate the cost from ex: Hanoi to Hue .. then another train from Hue to Saigon? Im so confused :( ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,800 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by rhayanne on 11/7/2011 at 13:24

Guesthouse for 2 months in District 1

Posted by modestyblaise08 on 9/7/2011 at 11:32

I am a medical student and will be spending my 6 week elective at Cho Ray hospital in HCMC. I am looking for a safe, clean guesthouse for 1 person (20-something female) to spend around 2 months, preferrably in District 1. Ideally there would be AC, WIFI in the room and if possible the shower would have a cubicle. I wouldn't mind a balcony or rooftop where I could get some fresh air and study etc. Been looking at Miss Loi's but heard not so great reviews in regards to bookings and reservations ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,276 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by violets on 11/7/2011 at 06:38

Finding NGO work in Vietnam

Posted by hfergu on 8/7/2011 at 07:39

Hello there, I'm looking for advice on how to find employment in Vietnam. More specifically, I'm a Canadian looking into the possibility of working for a local Vietnamese NGO or a development agency for a year or two in order to gain more practical experience in my field and to work on a community level. To give a bit of background on my situation: I currently hold a BA in International Development, an MA in Human Geography and an MA in Public Policy and Administration. By the time I'm ready ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,125 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by guitar4freedom on 10/7/2011 at 23:05

central backpacker hostel cruise

Posted by sharpie84 on 10/7/2011 at 16:10

hey again, we have arrived in hanoi and seen the mine fields of halong bay tours. We have heard really great things about the hanoi backpacker hostel halong bay cruise but is a bit expensive for our budget. We found on the central backpacker website that the offer the 3 day cruise for $95 which seems very reasonable although i cant sem to find much info from people who have taken this actual tour. Anyone here taken the halong tour with these guys or heard reviews from others? Any other suggestio ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,080 times, with no replies.

Travel and Tours of Vietnam

Posted by muffworm on 8/7/2011 at 19:26

OK so I've spent days now reading every forum and the good and bad regarding general travel and tours in Vietnam and how everyone is looking to rip you off. What I can make out so far is..... There are a million and one FAKE Sinh Cafes and should try to be avoided at all costs. Kim Travel should be avoided. Delta Adventure Tours should be avoided. Sinhbalo was the originator and founder of the Sinh Cafe and their website is www.sinhbalo.com - these are a safe operator to use? Please give ad ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,783 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by lagale on 9/7/2011 at 22:30

Sapa in January?

Posted by Joey82 on 8/7/2011 at 03:12

Hi, I will be travelling South through Vietnam next year and will be in Hanoi around late January. I was really looking forward to going upto Sapa but only just read about the climate and it sounds really cold at this time in the north. Has anyone been there in January? If it's going to be really cold i will probably give it a miss as i don't have room in my backpack for winter jacket! Please can someone advise : ) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,354 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Nokka on 8/7/2011 at 17:03

Best Advice For rekking in Sapa

Posted by eoinfitz on 21/4/2007 at 09:39

Hey There Can anyone let us know a reliable and fairly priced trip around sapa? Quoted $90 per person for a group of 4. That was 3 nights 2 days. Any ideas how much a guide should cost if we get the train independently? Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,609 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by madde22 on 8/7/2011 at 16:30

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page