Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Beware: Purse Snatcher

Posted by tessagds on 5/2/2011 at 08:02

3 in 3 Days here in HCMC.... Especially women with regular purse... use fanny pack or sling style purse and keep it infront of you all the time... anything valuable should be kept invinsible...... they will watch you from block to block....so be carefull.. DONT TELL ME I DIDNT WARN YOU. BTW.... They will snuck up at you from behind in a motor cycle...(fast ones) so you cant catch them and they work in two.. one drive up... one snatch your purse... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,042 times, with no replies.

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

solo motorcycling in Vietnam

Posted by baminem on 7/1/2011 at 11:13

I'm trying to plan a trip from the south of Vietnam starting in Ho Chi Minh City and ending in Hanoi. Right now I'm planning on travelling solo, but that could change if I find another or others to travel with. I'll be arriving in Vietnam in mid March and I have a month to do the trip, or more if I can renew my Visa. I'm trying to pick a route upwards and I'm having a bit of trouble picking the best route, if there is a best route. I'm considering heading from HCM to Pleiku through the Cent ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,621 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Randy on 4/2/2011 at 04:06

Con dao

Posted by ellengerda on 28/1/2011 at 17:49

Hello, Thinking off going to the Con Dao islands around 5 Feb..must be really beautifull! Don't want to pay more than $30 per night, any suggestions? I'm travelling in my own, is this a place for backpackers or is it a family island? Maybe somebody with te same plans? Let me know... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,922 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ti325v on 2/2/2011 at 07:47

Quick visit to Vietnam in late Sept - Planes, trains or automobiles?

Posted by gabic1 on 1/2/2011 at 17:17

I am planning my honeymoon in Thailand in late September and I am looking to trek and explore for the first 7 nights so I thought why no pop over to Vietnam & Cambodia... below is what i want to do... these are the key things which i can spread over the 7 nights but I am unsure what the weather is like this time of year as i heard the roads etc are no the best... If i fly everywhere the cost is high... can i lower the cost by trains or coach without extending my stay for over 7 days? Day 1 - ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,640 times, with no replies.

WHICH ARE THE CHAEP PLACES TO VISIT IN VIETNAM?

Posted by SIKELGAITA on 1/2/2011 at 05:34

Hey! I'm in Saigon, during the TET, incredible! but here everyting it's so expensive (i have to travel other 3 months). Could someone suggest me some cheap places to visit and beaches? thanx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,187 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jackdsilva12 on 1/2/2011 at 14:00

where to start,where to go

Posted by gansam on 16/1/2011 at 21:41

Hello I am wondering if any one can help us plan out Holiday to Vietnam and Cambodia My two sisters and I would like to travel to the above places in Mid April but can not decide where to start the trip., I have been researching the trip but not having much luck in planning an itinerary We have though of doing organised tours however we are not keen on this as we prefer the freedom to visit places on our own and manage our own time table. The problem is that we want to clam to much in 14 day ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,733 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by vietnamrum on 1/2/2011 at 10:20

Siam Reap to Hanoi in ten days,,,,

Posted by Gez1975 on 27/1/2011 at 05:45

Dear all We are planning to leave Siam Reap on 15 Feb and need to catch a flight out of Hanoi ten days later... I would like to ask your opinions please on whether you would concentrate your efforts on seeing the South, maybe spending some time on Phu Quoc Island and then making your way up to Hoi An, before going direct to Hanoi (and given the time of year I think we may get some sunshine in the South, but not the North), or whether you would ignore Phu Quoc and train steadily up the coast ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,659 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 1/2/2011 at 08:56

stuck in ho chi minh over tet ?

Posted by nickolt on 29/1/2011 at 22:05

So my bf and I arrived in HCM last night from the phillipines, and did not realize that the lunar festival is as big of a deal here as it has turned out to be. We had originally planned 4 nights here in HCM, then a 2 day mekong delta tour, then 3 nights in phu quoc. Well we can't get a flight out of phu quoc so there goes that plan. We are now thinking of heading to mui ne earlier than planned originally (we have a whole month here) but are wondering if there's any point to that since the hotels ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,870 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 30/1/2011 at 17:54

Where to spend Tet festival in Vietnam?

Posted by _gabriella on 13/11/2010 at 12:05

I'm going to be in south/south central Vietnam next Febuary for the Tet festival with two others, and we were planning on just shacking up somewhere for the week as we've heard travel can be difficult and expensive around that time, and alot of businesses close down for a few days. Any ideas on a place where we can amuse ourselves for the week? Phu Quoc sounds like it has some nice beaches and a small nature reserve, but I've also heard it can be a bit boring so any other suggestions or advice w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,062 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by spiderman on 29/1/2011 at 10:19

Sinh Cafe -> Sinh Tourist? (or other travel agent recommendation)

Posted by smash on 5/1/2010 at 11:01

hey all I'm looking at booking a overnight trip from Saigon to Phnom Penh via the Mekong. Sinh Tourist has one at USD35 that looks ok (http://www.thesinhtourist.vn/TourDetails_User.aspx?MaTour=%20VEctTTJQUC0wMQ==&LangID=en&MaTram=TUs=). Has the Sinh Cafe changed its name recently to Sinh Tourist? We want to arrange this before we get to Vietnam so we're not wasting our short/precious time in travel agencies so just looking for somewhere reliable to book before we go. Cheers, Ash ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,445 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by A1G2 on 28/1/2011 at 15:26

Suspicious reply from purported real Sinh Cafe

Posted by bluejay on 3/10/2009 at 13:10

Hi everyone, I will be traveling to Hanoi on a 5D6N trip with 2 friends in mid November. Our itinerary centers around 3 tours from Sinh Cafe arranged back to back. I've obtained these information from www.sinhcafevn.com Halong Bay- Cat Ba Tour Sapa Trekking by train (Opt 1) Hanoi City Tour This will be our first trip to Vietnam. Having heard of the many bad experiences, particularly scams and ripoffs, faced by others on this forum and elsewhere, we are quite wary and are erring on t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,093 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by NYTim on 27/1/2011 at 23:19

Vietnam to Cambodia tours

Posted by emsybaby on 22/1/2011 at 00:38

Hi everyone, I'm trying to research tours starting in Hanoi and ending in PP which last about 18 days. I will be travelling with a friend and we'd like to start the tour on around the 5th June. We are flying back from Bangkok on the 25th June. As we're not experienced travellers we like the idea of having something structured so we don't miss out on anything and are able to meet other travellers easily. Has anyone got any suggestions for companies that do such tours? Is it something we should ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,579 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by emsybaby on 26/1/2011 at 12:20

Visa on arrival

Posted by doolough on 20/5/2010 at 14:11

I know there are previous posts about this but I just want some definite reassurance. Visa on arrival scheme was suggested to me on a preious post as opposed of going through the embassy. When I googled I got: myvietnamvisa.com Has anybody used this specific group? Has it been okay? I read previous posts which named loads of different websites. Is this one the best/easiest? Kind regards, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,951 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by eb on 23/1/2011 at 01:54

vietnam Long Term

Posted by ChrisJenko on 21/1/2011 at 18:06

Ok so heres the story...not sure what sort of information i will get on this forum but i thought i'd place my predicament on a few sites i trust for helpful information. I have been travelling in vietnam now for 3 weeks and i'm currently in Hanoi for the next 10 days awaiting a visa extension. I have fallen in love with the country and a local vietnamese woman ( feeling are mutual...before any jokes) after spending 10 days in Hue .....Now here is the predicament. I want to move here for a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,169 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 22/1/2011 at 08:18

hanoi hotel

Posted by kerrysimon on 18/1/2011 at 05:23

hi! my husband and i are flying into hanoi april 1st and want to spend our first 2 nights in a nice hotel with a pool. (roughing it the rest of the trip thinking about the intercontinental westlake and the sheraton hanoi. i think the sofitel is bit overpriced from what i see on their website, but not ruling it out if it really is amazing. any ideas or opinions? thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,190 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by egg1964 on 21/1/2011 at 15:24

Possible Itinerary Vietnam/Cambodia June 2011

Posted by itchy_feet_explorer on 20/5/2010 at 10:26

Hi everyone, Any opinions/advice on the following itinerary would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I have previously travelled to Vietnam and have been to Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang and Mekong Delta. Day 1 Fly to Phnom Penh , private car to Sihanoukville , arriving late evening. Day 2 Sihanoukville Day 3 Day trip to Kep/Kampot Day 4 Drive Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh mid morning. Relaxing afternoon around the city, maybe head to the markets. Day 5 Tuol Sleng (s21 – Torture Pris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,916 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by jackdsilva12 on 21/1/2011 at 10:31

5 day trip. I need travel advice!

Posted by Shahmatt on 17/12/2009 at 20:02

Hi. I am planning a 5 day trip. I will be at Hanoi on a Friday morning. I plan to do a 2 day 1N trip to Halong. What tour should I go for? I read that Handspan is good, and they have a 2D 1N for $115. http://www.handspan.com/bookable-tour/Vietnam/ha-long-bay-cruise-aloha-2-days-price.html Is this reasonable? If not, which tour should I go for? Or should I book through a hotel? After Hanoi I want to travel south to Dong Hoi to visit Phong Nha Ke Bang. I see very little info ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,384 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by peter27 on 20/1/2011 at 19:24

Bring USD or any currency to Vietnam??

Posted by pimlfo on 31/12/2010 at 12:39

I brought some USD, but there are ATMs there, so I just did a withdrawal and kept some USD as a backup. Most seemed to allow a max of 2million dong per, which was what I did since they also seemed to charge anywhere from 20,000-30,000 fees. There is a whole section on money here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/103 How much in 2 weeks I think depends on what you plan to do - budget you could easily stay 10/night in hotels and a few dollars for food. On the other end you could spend 60/night o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,085 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by laquanglam on 20/1/2011 at 13:52

Hanoi & Sapa

Posted by husun on 20/1/2011 at 02:02

Hi, will be visiting Hanoi on the 20/02/2011 and Sapa on 22/02/2011. I had research that the weather for the particular time is cooling in Hanoi, range between 8oC - 18oC. But how about Sapa. I try to keep my luggage light visiting Sapa, that is why I will just bring a light jacket with my. But I was told that in late FEB, the weather in Sapa is extremely Cold! It's around 2oC in the night and 8o C in the day. anyone can clarify? Thank you very much!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,376 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by husun on 20/1/2011 at 13:50

Bikes & Borders

Posted by gill1 on 17/1/2011 at 02:29

Sorry Guys I have searched but not found the answer to my question. Can I ask if we buy second hand bikes in Vietnam can we cross with them to Cambodia & Laos? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,847 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by FearDark77 on 18/1/2011 at 14:06

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page