Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Riding 7 days North Vietnam starting January 14th, anyone want to join?

Posted by flyingcub on 5/1/2011 at 22:54

Hi:-) I am taking the train on January 13th to Lao Cai ( Sapa ) and after a day light trek on Friday 14th will do a 7 day loop on a 125cc motorcycle (scooter actually) with a local guide, going through Sapa - Bac Ha - Ha Giang - Meo Vac - Dong Van - Yen Minh - Vu Linh- Hanoi (arrive in Hanoi on 21st) Is anyone interested in joining me? The cost is around $450 w/ the trek for Honda 125cc, gas and Dao guide/mechanic (less if more people) + $20-$25/day for hotel & food. I'm from Paris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,333 times, with no replies.

Vietnam East Coast Boat Tours

Posted by na77 on 5/1/2011 at 20:17

Hi, I will be spending 1 month in Vietnam, was wondering if anyone can recommend any east coast boat tours, as I have heard it's a great way to see the east coast. Also any other 'essentials' that I shouldn't miss would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, N ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,862 times, with no replies.

Anyone want to swap their USD for VND?

Posted by joeaddison79 on 5/1/2011 at 02:02

My Vietnamese girlfriend is visiting me in Michigan until the end of January. She has a bunch of Dong she wants to convert to USD so she can buy a new computer for her brother. The banks give us a bad rate. If you're heading to Vietnam in the next few months, we will swap our Dong for your USD using the current exchange rate. This will save you having to exchange currency in Vietnam at a bank and getting a bad rate or making withdraws at an ATM and getting international transaction fees. If ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,373 times, with no replies.

taxi from HCMC airport

Posted by jwgacy on 2/1/2011 at 18:08

Hi I've been looking for a price guideline for taxis from HCMC airport and district 1 I've booked a room online and they say they will pick me up for $15 can anyone suggest anything better JW ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,487 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by JiroIsCounting on 4/1/2011 at 08:37

West from Hanoi: Sa Pa or Mai Chau/Moc Chau/Son La?

Posted by linolanayseda on 14/12/2010 at 00:10

Hello all, My husband and I are traveling to Vietnam and Laos for three weeks (mid-Feb. to early Mar.) and we're planning on going overland west from Hanoi to the Tay Trang border crossing. Trouble is, I can't make up my mind which way to go, between these two routes. If you could offer your advice or experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. We would have about four days' time to reach Dien Bien Phu. For instance, we would take an overnight train from Hanoi to Sa Pa on Friday night, s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,216 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by violets on 4/1/2011 at 07:43

Is Onepay safe to use?

Posted by LaraP on 17/8/2010 at 18:36

Hey, Just want to check whether (the vietnamese paypal) is a safe way to make payments for bookings? Cheers! Lara ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,614 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 2/1/2011 at 14:14 roaming!

Posted by kierantravelmonkey on 31/12/2010 at 04:28

Hey all, Am looking to fly into Saigon from Bangkok around the middle of Feb and then take my time travelling up the coast to Hanoi before flying to Hong Kong. May book a hotel in HCMC but apart from that I'm thinking of winging it completely with nothing planned (apart from a rough route and sights to see etc). Will be travelling by myself and, after reading up lots, it looks like accommodation and travel should be ok to find. Is this true? Does anyone have any advice on whether it is bett ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,121 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 31/12/2010 at 20:01

4 wks left in SEA...Vietnam or Laos/Camb?

Posted by theothervaletguy on 11/12/2010 at 11:34

4 wks left in SEA...Should I spend them in Vietnam or Laos/Camb? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,568 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 31/12/2010 at 18:23

Ha Giang tour advice please?

Posted by hypersigil on 12/12/2010 at 01:34

I am going to be in the North of Vietnam with my brother at the beginning of March. We are looking to visit Ha Giang and the area north of there. I read the NYT article on the region and have seen other travellers' reports and it seems like a really beautiful place, and I am a beautychaser. Anyway, it's hard to find info on good tours of the area. My understanding is that: 1. We need a permit to visit this area. 2. There is no proper public transportation in the area. Therefore, we prefer to d ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,639 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 31/12/2010 at 18:12

Mai Chau- getting there & where to stay.

Posted by MiaBritton on 30/12/2010 at 07:44

I'm off to Vietnam in February and have a couple of days with nothing planned so far. I can spend more time in the Mekong and Hanoi or take a 1d1n trip to Mai Chau. Am I allowing enough time to get there, see a bit and get back to Hanoi again? There's a bit of info on the buses, but no estimates on how long the trip is- can anyone tell me? Also, what homestays did you go to, where were they (I know a few of the better ones are out of the main area) and how much were they? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,911 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 31/12/2010 at 10:38

Posted by ChrisJenko on 28/12/2010 at 15:53

Hi all, Hope everyone has had a great xmas... anyways im after some advice for accommodation in Ho Chi Minh for next week. i'll be flying into Vietnam on the 4th Jan to start my 12th month tour of South East Asia ... getting excited its so close... And i havent booked any accommodation yet, now i know that Pham Ngu Lao is the backpacker district and where much of the cheap hotels ect are located. I have a few places in mind that i am leaning towards booking for the first 1-2 nights... my post ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,933 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 31/12/2010 at 02:17

Arriving in Ho Chi Minh at 1230 am

Posted by nickolt on 28/12/2010 at 13:39

Hello. My bf and I will be travelling through SE Asia this Jan through May. We have a flight booked from Manila into Ho Chi Minh. The only problem is that our flight lands at 1230 am in HCM. How safe/advisable is it to take a taxi into the city at this time ? Would it just be better to hang out in the airport till daylight? We will be booking our hostel ahead of time so that it wont be a problem finding somewhere to stay. Just not sure if taking a taxi at that time is going to be safe or if the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,346 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by puretravel on 30/12/2010 at 02:05

Travelling from Phu Quoc Island to Cambodia

Posted by NorwegianP on 30/6/2010 at 22:14

Hi! So we are travelling to the Phu Quoc Island s from the Mekong area, but we were wondering if it is possible (and recommend) to travel strait from Phu Quoc Island to Cambodia. For example: get from Phu Quoc Island to Phnom Penh some how, and the take a cruise to Siem Reap. What do you guys think about getting of Phu Quoc Island? Thanks Norwegian P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,109 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by comi on 27/12/2010 at 18:40

Trains Hanoi-Nanning

Posted by Danka on 13/7/2006 at 21:25

Hi, Does anyone know which days the train goes from Hanoi to Nanning in China? I heard it only goes on two days a week and apparently the online schedules from the Vietnamese railway are not correct. I want to go Liuzhou eventually but as you don't cover China I won't go into much detail here. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Danka ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 22,346 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by uk_vette on 27/12/2010 at 15:26

Wet season - is it busy or dead?

Posted by km0193 on 24/12/2010 at 06:26

Hi, First off, great forum's. Very very useful indeed. I'm going to do a 3 month trip around SEA (Thai/Laos/Cam/Vitnam/Indo) from June 2011. I have done loads of research and I realise that it'll be hot, humid and wet. This doesn't really bother me. What I have not managed to find out however is just how quiet it will be with backpackers at this time. I know it'll be quieter, but will it be dead?? I'm travelling solo and this is my main fear, one of the the main purpose's of my trip is to meet ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,961 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by PhongVietnam on 27/12/2010 at 15:16

Need help in planning a trip

Posted by MorrieC on 27/12/2010 at 13:04

There are six of us traveling to Ho Chi Minh City arriving at the end of February and staying for 15 days. My wife is Vietnamese and her sister an husband will be traveling with us as well so the language should not be a problem. This is there first trip back to Saigon for my wife and her sister in 35 years so there is a lot they want to see (which is my concern, trying to do too much). The following is a tentative schedule. Feb 25 - 27 Ho Chi Minh City Feb 28 Fly to Hue ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,541 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by PhongVietnam on 27/12/2010 at 15:05

3 weeks in Vietnam - Advice

Posted by ChrisJenko on 20/11/2010 at 10:07

As the title suggest i am looking to start my trip with a south to north 3 week tour of vietnam. I am looking to book a flight from Sydney to HCMC on the 4th January 2011 with a flight from Hanoi to Phnom Penh, Cambodia on the 27th Jan 2011. This leaves me with 23 days to get from south to north and im after any advice on my itinerary, transport, must see sites ect. So far it looks like i will land in HCMC spend a few days here and a day trip thro the Mekong Delta possibly to Can Tho and t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,729 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by abc on 25/12/2010 at 23:30

Hanoi to Hue to nha trang??

Posted by jessicaf on 19/11/2010 at 10:59

Hi, I was wondering what the best way to get from Hanoi to Hue is? and then from Hue to Nha trang? Is this a good order or is there a better way to do this? we are trying to make our way down to Saigon, to the Mekong delta, then to Angkor Wat. from the Mekong delta what is the best way to get over to Angkor wat? we would like to avoid flying if possible, unless the flights are inexpensive. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,889 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by vivekanand on 25/12/2010 at 23:25

Sen Monorom to Vietnam 2010

Posted by pete61 on 25/12/2010 at 17:42

I read the border crossings link (is it up to date?) and am hopeful something else has opened up to cross to Vietnam without having to go so far back south. We are coming up from PP to Kratie and then over to Sen Monorom and hope to go East to Vietnam and towards the coast. Any chances now or any tips? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,893 times, with no replies.

Nice shop for your shopping

Posted by Connie09 on 25/12/2010 at 16:34

Our shop is under name of Bella May shop and it is located in no#17 Au Trieu street - Hoan Kiem district. Most of our products in the shop are being produced by our company and the price is reasonable. We are specialized in producing: - Ladies clothes in silk, chiffon, linen, organza... - Accessories in wooden, shell, beaded.... - Homewares in silk, cotton, linen, faux suede, organza... including embroidery - Handicrafts in bamboo, shell, beaded... - Export enquiries welcome. Our products are ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,575 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page