Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Bikes & Borders

Posted by gill1 on 17/1/2011 at 02:29

Sorry Guys I have searched but not found the answer to my question. Can I ask if we buy second hand bikes in Vietnam can we cross with them to Cambodia & Laos? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,803 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by FearDark77 on 18/1/2011 at 14:06

Halong Bay Cruises companies: some advise?

Posted by dllvale on 8/1/2011 at 18:00

Hi everybody, female, 35 years, Italian... I will travel to Vietnam for my first time in March. I will be alone and I'd like to see the Halong Bay (3 days/2 nights). I'd like to have a good experience, not staying 3 days "beeing the candle" to newly married couples or only reading my books... Could you give me some comments about cruises companies you used there (prices budget, services quality, cleaning, type of other travellers) but above all some company names you can advise me to c ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,516 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by dllvale on 17/1/2011 at 19:31

What about this company

Posted by annaorthrox on 16/1/2011 at 14:46

Hi, I'm about to visit Halong bay in Vietnam. Yesterday, I've booked a tour for 2 days from this site www.realhalong.com . I saw them on google. I've made a deposite to them, Does anyone here know anything about this company? Are they good? Need more advice from you !! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,711 times, with no replies.

Mekong Delta to Phnom Penh

Posted by travelmonk on 11/1/2011 at 01:53

Hello, We are planning to visit the Mekong Delta after two weeks traveling from Hanoi. We will arrive in HCMC in early March. Some questions that I cannot find answers: 1. We will visit Cai Rang, but should I also visit Cai Be and/or Phong Dien for variety? 2. Is it better to spend more time at Cai Rang than trying to see both Cai Rang and Phong Dien on the same morning? 3. I heard that Mai Linh is no longer running from Can Tho to Chau Doc . Is the "lesser" bus line (eg. PHuoc ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,528 times, with no replies.

Phnom Penh - Saigon

Posted by sholafish on 10/1/2011 at 01:48

Hi, quick piece of advice needed. Going from PP to Saigon but have enought time to explore the Mekong Delta for at least 2-3 days. I was wondering whether people thought it would be better to get the bus to Saigon first and then take a 2-3 day trip out to Chau Doc /Can Tho, or go direct from PP to Chau Doc on the boat and then move on to Saigon after? I know the latter would seem the more sensible but is that boat to Chau Doc more hassle than it's worth? Thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,285 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by sholafish on 13/1/2011 at 16:49

Hanoi Joy Hotel or Hong Ngoc 2?

Posted by destroyingangel on 5/1/2011 at 23:41

We will be arriving in Hanoi at the end of March for our first trip to SEA from the US. We will be staying for 4 weeks and will be doing the usual trekking, etc., plus popping out to Luang Prabang for the New Year and elephants. I would like our first few nights to be fairly stress-free as we get through our jet lag and culture shock. I've reviewed hotel recommendations that I've found online, and I'm trying to decide between Hotel Joy, where we are promised a deluxe triple with balcony for ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,444 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 12/1/2011 at 16:57

Hue to Vinh Moc Tunnels and Phong Nha Cave

Posted by roynolan on 1/9/2009 at 04:47

Hi again followong on from my previous question, is it a good idea to go to the Vinh Moc Tunnels and Phong Nha cave by motorbike, staying overnight in Dong Hoi. I don't want to do the whole DMZ tour. thanks again ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,752 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by phongnhafarmstay on 12/1/2011 at 16:54

Vaccinations needed for Vietnam and HK?

Posted by kierantravelmonkey on 12/1/2011 at 04:15

Hi all, Was hoping someone might give me an idea of what vaccinations would be good to get for Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong. Would think that I will be travelling for around 4-6 weeks from mid Feb. The usual Hep A, Hep B and typhoid? Any others recommended? Cheers, Kieran. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,380 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ryder80 on 12/1/2011 at 05:31

Share car from Mui Ne to HCMC

Posted by LiamTobin on 10/1/2011 at 12:08

Looking for one or two travellers to share a car with driver to travel from Mui Ne HCMC airport tomorrow Tuesday 11 Jan... Bus times dont suit my wife and I so are going for the direct route ... perhaps this works for you as well? The cost is 80USD spilt three or four ways.... Planning to leave around 1pm but flexible......let us know if you want to jump on board... LT LT ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,861 times, with no replies.

Dong Hoi - Phong Nha Ke Bang, the world biggest caves

Posted by haphuongn on 11/10/2010 at 08:50

Anyone been visited the laggest cave in Phong Nha, the one that has just been discovered? Son Doong cave? we can share experience here! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,043 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by haphuongn on 10/1/2011 at 08:52

Sapa to Laos - anyone wants to join?

Posted by majkel on 2/12/2010 at 19:16

Guys, I'm travelling from Sapa to Laos via DBP on Sat 11th Dec or Sunday 12th. Anyone's on the same route and wants to join?!! cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,720 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Tomo on 10/1/2011 at 08:33

Phong Nha Caves to Vinh Moc Tunnels?

Posted by anissa on 19/12/2010 at 23:05

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to go to DMZ to visit the Vinh Moc Tunnels FROM the Phong Nha Caves? I read that we can do both FROM Hue, but I will be coming from the North. I plan to take a night train from Hanoi to Dong Hoi, go to the Phong Nha caves and then I would like to go directly to the Vinh Moc Tunnels and then, I want to go to Hoi An ( I am not planning to go to Hue). Thanks for your help! It is my first posting on Travelfish. I passed so many hours on Travelfish, r ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,371 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by phongnhafarmstay on 10/1/2011 at 08:22

Long term accommodation in HCMC

Posted by mean684 on 1/1/2011 at 07:49

I am moving to HCMC for 2 years to work on volunteer project-- thus minimum income. I will be working in District 10. I thought I would stay in hotel or guesthouse for first month until I get my feet before finding something for the rest of my time. Any suggestions for something close to this district that is cheap and as I will be there for a month would be good to have a balcony or roof garden -- family run type place Other suggestions for finding good long term accommodation also welcom ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,563 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 9/1/2011 at 19:11

Volunteers

Posted by booboo on 8/1/2011 at 15:58

My partner and myself will be heading to Vietnam in 2 months and will be staying there for a 2 months or possibly more. We would very much like to volunteer and are happy to either pay reasonable costs or to sort out our own accomodation etc. We both have an i-to-i certificate in TEFL. However we are happy to be involved in any useful project and we are finding it difficult to find one that isn't just based on paying a huge fee. We are unfortunately don't have the funds for this on this trip alt ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,971 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by francesstella on 9/1/2011 at 02:57

Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi

Posted by keef82 on 11/12/2010 at 23:30

I will be travelling around SE Asia for 6 weeks in the New Year comprising of Thailand, Cambodia Vietnam & Laos. I would like to travel up the Vietnamese coast from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi. I'm pretty sure I would like to go to Ha Long Bay but other than that it's pretty open. Any advice would be greatly appreciated e.g.: - How long should I factor for this section of the trip? - Is it best to spend most of my time in the cities or spread it out travelling between the 2? - Are there any areas ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,957 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 6/1/2011 at 10:47

Riding 7 days North Vietnam starting January 14th, anyone want to join?

Posted by flyingcub on 5/1/2011 at 22:54

Hi:-) I am taking the train on January 13th to Lao Cai ( Sapa ) and after a day light trek on Friday 14th will do a 7 day loop on a 125cc motorcycle (scooter actually) with a local guide, going through Sapa - Bac Ha - Ha Giang - Meo Vac - Dong Van - Yen Minh - Vu Linh- Hanoi (arrive in Hanoi on 21st) Is anyone interested in joining me? The cost is around $450 w/ the trek for Honda 125cc, gas and Dao guide/mechanic (less if more people) + $20-$25/day for hotel & food. I'm from Paris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,346 times, with no replies.

Vietnam East Coast Boat Tours

Posted by na77 on 5/1/2011 at 20:17

Hi, I will be spending 1 month in Vietnam, was wondering if anyone can recommend any east coast boat tours, as I have heard it's a great way to see the east coast. Also any other 'essentials' that I shouldn't miss would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, N ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,875 times, with no replies.

Anyone want to swap their USD for VND?

Posted by joeaddison79 on 5/1/2011 at 02:02

My Vietnamese girlfriend is visiting me in Michigan until the end of January. She has a bunch of Dong she wants to convert to USD so she can buy a new computer for her brother. The banks give us a bad rate. If you're heading to Vietnam in the next few months, we will swap our Dong for your USD using the current exchange rate. This will save you having to exchange currency in Vietnam at a bank and getting a bad rate or making withdraws at an ATM and getting international transaction fees. If ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,381 times, with no replies.

taxi from HCMC airport

Posted by jwgacy on 2/1/2011 at 18:08

Hi I've been looking for a price guideline for taxis from HCMC airport and district 1 I've booked a room online and they say they will pick me up for $15 can anyone suggest anything better JW ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,511 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by JiroIsCounting on 4/1/2011 at 08:37

West from Hanoi: Sa Pa or Mai Chau/Moc Chau/Son La?

Posted by linolanayseda on 14/12/2010 at 00:10

Hello all, My husband and I are traveling to Vietnam and Laos for three weeks (mid-Feb. to early Mar.) and we're planning on going overland west from Hanoi to the Tay Trang border crossing. Trouble is, I can't make up my mind which way to go, between these two routes. If you could offer your advice or experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. We would have about four days' time to reach Dien Bien Phu. For instance, we would take an overnight train from Hanoi to Sa Pa on Friday night, s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,240 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by violets on 4/1/2011 at 07:43

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page