Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

A short trip > Vietnam > Cambodia

Posted by TBD1 on 22/2/2011 at 13:15

Myself and my partner are planning a short trip to Vietnam/Cambodia. We live in Hong Kong so have taken the chance over the Easter break to book a trip. We arrive in Ho Chi Min on Apr 22nd and leave from there on May 2nd the rest of the trip we need to fill in. So basically we're looking for advice about what to see, how long to stay, best ways to get in between, should we book travel and rooms before arrival etc. Any advice would be much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,891 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by tomnewcombe on 2/3/2011 at 17:30

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Phu Quoc in July or August?

Posted by lords3 on 2/3/2011 at 03:12

We are arriving in HCMC for 3 weeks holiday with our 8 year old daughter, Mid July. We want a week on the beach at Phu Quoc but should we go first in Mid July or leave it to the first week in August? We realise it is rainy season but can't work out whether to head North or South first. Any advice gratefully received. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,139 times, with no replies.

Vietnam through Cambodia to Thailand

Posted by NinaFraser1990 on 28/2/2011 at 04:56

Im hoping to head through Cambodia via bus or car from Vietnam to Thailand, I want to spend a few days and check out some cool places around the end of October this year, I will be with my friend but anyone else who is wanting to do something similar you should get in touch and join us, the more the merrier! Also open to suggestions! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,080 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by NinaFraser1990 on 1/3/2011 at 10:53

Visa

Posted by ltran on 18/2/2011 at 09:05

Hey, I'm leaving to Southeast Asia early May for 6 weeks. I'm entering at Ho Chi Minh City and was planning to travel by bus to Cambodia, will I need to apply for a Cambodian Visa? Also, would I apply for a multi-entry Vietnamese Visa if I tend to enter again? Linda ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,678 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by ltran on 24/2/2011 at 03:45

Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Laos in 4 weeks (May)

Posted by dco000 on 16/2/2011 at 23:49

A friend and I are planning on the following route (roughly) for April 26 - May 23. Wondering if it seems feasible and if there are any suggestions? Ho Chi Minh --> Phnom Penh (up and back to Angkor/Siem Reap) Phnomh Penh --> Muang Khong and Pakse areas of Southern Loas East to Vietnam border and up to Hoi An Rent motorbikes if possible to make our way up to Ha Noi? Fly out of Ha Noi Anyone know if there are places to rent a bike in Hoi An/ Da Nang and drop it off in Ha Noi? Tha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,119 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by dco000 on 23/2/2011 at 23:11

Ha Long Bay boat sinks, upto 12 feared dead

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/2/2011 at 13:39

News reports today of a Ha Long Bay tourist boat sinking at around 5am this morning, with upto 12 people feared drowned. Reports are still very sketchy, though it seems most of the dead were foreign tourists. The Sydney Morning Herald has a pretty good wrap with quotes describing the boat as "cheap" and "having engine problems". We were told by an agent in Hanoi that the operator of the boat was Truong Hai Ltd Boat Company. It's difficult to give advice as virtually eve ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,210 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by tf_geckozy on 23/2/2011 at 16:29

Asia deluxe cruise - Anyone out there who did it?

Posted by romana on 22/2/2011 at 12:54

I've been offered a 3D2N for Asia deluxe cruise - one night on the boat and one in the Monkey Island resort (offer was made by a Sihn Cafe in Bat Dan St - Hotel Memory). The price is very good - 90$ - and from my research is more or less what other travellers have paid. However, I can't find any recent reviews and I was wondering if anyone has done this cruise recently and can share experiences with me. After the recent tragedy in Halong I'm concerned, but on the other hand I think it's probably ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,161 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by romana on 22/2/2011 at 18:27

Ha Long Bay Cruise

Posted by archiebaby on 27/9/2007 at 10:54

Hello, I am booked on the Bhaya Junk Boat for a 2 day 1 night cruise can anyone give me some feedback on this cruise please & what to expect. Thank You ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 12,977 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by ethernet on 22/2/2011 at 17:10

Solo Female traveling in Feb/March: Itinerary and advice

Posted by smillertime78 on 18/9/2010 at 20:19

Hello, all! I am a 31 year-old female backpacking solo throughout SE Asia beginning Feb and ending...??? I will be coming from India/Nepal/Bhutan, where I will have spent Dec/Jan backpacking with a friend. Although I have traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia for work (the latter primarily in Hong Kong, Korea, and Tokyo), these trips are obviously not indicative of what I expect in SE Asia (which is why I'm going!) I am very flexible on my itinerary, but plan to fly into Bankok from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,486 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by jack_view_cm on 22/2/2011 at 16:07

Quang Binh province

Posted by MADMAC on 30/7/2009 at 03:01

My cleaning girl is from Quang Binh in vietnam and she's pestering me to go with her and see the village she grew up in and meet her family (Her dad fought with the Vietminh, so talking with him does interest me). Has anyone been there, and if so what did you think of the place? (And no, before you ask - we aren't doing it. No Romance.) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,439 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by finbuk on 21/2/2011 at 08:38

Guides

Posted by colourco on 19/2/2011 at 06:15

This will be our first time in Vietnam and although we are not getting too wound up about the travel advice re: getting ripped off. It is of concern. We were thinking maybe use a guide with transport to take us around and provide travel advice. Is this a good idea or will they just support their friends? How much would you pay? Can anyone recommend someone who will do the right thing? Thanks Mick ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,196 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by colourco on 21/2/2011 at 08:10

Hue Vietnam ; Phu Bai HUI Airport Temporary Closure.

Posted by 69bertie on 17/2/2011 at 10:00

Just been posted on another forum that Hue Airport will be closed 5th May to 6th June for renovation work. Checking Vietnam Airlines website shows no flights available to and from HUI during that period. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,688 times, with no replies.

vietnam over tet?

Posted by ann1986 on 8/12/2010 at 07:08

Hi, I'm thinking about traveling from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi from January 29-February 7. I've read on some sites, though, that traveling in Vietnam over Tet is pretty unpleasant, due to crammed transport, closed businesses and big price mark-ups. Just wondering if anyone with personal experience of traveling over Tet could offer some advice. Is it really such a headache? Or are these sites exaggerating? Maybe it would be advisable to scrap my plans and go to another country instead? Thanks, An ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,041 times, with 28 replies. Last reply by ann1986 on 16/2/2011 at 16:40

ha tien to phu quo

Posted by janet1686 on 6/2/2011 at 18:11

has anyone got the boat from ha tien to phu quo instead of going from rach gia and if so do they go every day and what times ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,578 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by oasisbarhatien on 13/2/2011 at 11:32

Laos into Vietnam (Hanoi): best option?

Posted by smillertime78 on 9/1/2011 at 20:53

Hello! I plan to be in Luang Prabang somewhere between 2/8 and 2/15 before heading into Hanoi to work my way down the Vietnam coast. Couple of questions for the many experts out there 1) I understand Tet is 2/3 this year, but do you think I will still have a very difficult time (also more expensive) if arriving around 2/15? 2) What is the best way to get from Luang Prabang to Hanoi? I originally preferred not to hit up Vientiane (I have a pretty tight schedule, and want to avoid if pos ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,190 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by jackdsilva12 on 11/2/2011 at 22:25

Eat...in Vietnam(generally)

Posted by Randy on 6/2/2011 at 05:16

Hi to all international travellers into vn. This is Randy, from Canada and as frequent traveller into SEA, including Thailand, Cambodia and VN. My posts are solely from my own experiences that shaped up from my concept of "travel" and anybody could take as "advice" as they wish..To me, "travelling" means..exploring..learning and experiencing different cultures, ways of livings. Anywhere I come, I always try to...blend in with locals, live the way they do, eat the fo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,976 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 10/2/2011 at 02:24

1 month - 2week Phil then 2 week vietnam?

Posted by London23 on 8/2/2011 at 23:30

Hello, Im planning a visit to SE Asia in May/ June this year. Original plan was to spend the whole month in the Philippines. Now Im considering trying 2 weeks in the Philippines, flying to Vietnam & spending 2 weeks there. Can anyone offer advice on this plan? Is 2 weeks too little time in each place? Or is 1 whole month just in the Philippines too much? Help?!! Thanks in advance for any replies! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,216 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 10/2/2011 at 02:16

Motorbike Hire in Vietnam

Posted by trobs on 1/2/2011 at 19:45

I am quite keen to hire a motorbike while in Vietnam but keep hearing differing views about the legality of doing this. Is it possible/ feasible to get a Vietnamese motorbike licence while over there and thereby cover travel insurance and police worries. I have previously hired motorbikes in Bali but getting caught by the police only entails a ~$7 AUD "fine". My travel insurance covers me as long as I have a licence valid in the relevant country. I only have a car licence in Australia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,818 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 8/2/2011 at 18:20

Face Book blocked in Vietnam

Posted by TomDo on 2/1/2011 at 21:33

Hello Tom, you can use this link: www.lisp4.facebook.com to access your facebook or change DNS Good luck ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,156 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 8/2/2011 at 18:05

Tour Agency.... Opinion?

Posted by jivie798 on 8/2/2011 at 17:38

I checked out sinhcafe's tours... Their budget tours appear to be very cheap amongst competitors.... Any opinion? Anyone tried their tour? http://sinhcafe.com/english_pro/Daily_Tours.htm If there is any other agency which is reliable and cheap....lets share... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,394 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page