Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Mai Chau/Sapa - escape the crowds

Posted by ElmoAustria on 14/2/2011 at 03:45

Hi. I am a new user, but have enjoyed spending hours reading posts on this great website. Thought I'd post this question having not found specific advice to date. I wonder if anyone can advise me which villages to visit on a 2-3 day trek to Northern Vietnam to avoid the most "touristy" areas but see as much variety and stunning scenery as we can. We are looking for a medium difficulty trek and intend on taking the overnight train. Recommendations of tours also welcome! Thanks for your ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,298 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by duong on 21/3/2011 at 16:49

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - cambodia in 30 days?

Posted by WelshGem on 20/3/2011 at 00:49

I am planning a 30 day trip to SE Asia in June/July this year my plan is to fly into thailand travel through Laos to Vietnam, Once in Vietnam I'd like to travel North to South, travelling back to thailand through Cambodia. The 30 days is the total time I have to travel internally I have days either side for arriving/departing. My question is, is this completely crazy in 30 days? I appreciate I won't see much of either thailand, Laos or Cambodia my main aim is Vietnam but I'd rather take the tra ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,615 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 20/3/2011 at 17:41

Pre-booking trains - Vietnam

Posted by flipflip on 19/3/2011 at 22:01

My friends and I are travelling to Vietnam in April and from what I've read, its best to pre-book train rides in order to get the class etc that you want. We arrive in Hanoi on the 9th and want to catch the overnight train to Danang on the 12th (ie not alot of time!) so we definitely want to prebook our tickets before we leave. Can anyone recommend a reliable travel agent or similar service that could arrange the tickets for us? Have tried looked on seat61 for tips and they recommend a few ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,470 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by swag on 20/3/2011 at 06:19

Solo Traveler in Hanoi for 4 nights.

Posted by pdr_ml on 19/3/2011 at 09:44

Hi everyone, Will be flying to Hanoi tonight, planning to do some sightseeing tomorrow and a day trip on monday around Halong Bay - Can anyone recommend a good , honest and reliable ( I know , hard ... ) around there for a Day Trip ?! Ta ! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,604 times, with no replies.

Is it raining everywhere in Vietnam??

Posted by destroyingangel on 13/3/2011 at 03:08

Can anyone currently in Vietnam offer hope that the weather will clear by the end of this month/early April? We were looking forward to leaving the Oregon rain behind and enjoying some sunshine . . . was this naive? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,557 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by adro48itly on 18/3/2011 at 18:31

tailor in saigon /tailor in hochiminh city

Posted by famousmen on 21/2/2011 at 10:17

I wanted clothes, I can sew clothes where ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,774 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ketty0101 on 17/3/2011 at 21:28

Northern Vietnam & Northern Laos vs. Southern Vietnam and Southeast Cambodia

Posted by ccalvin09 on 16/3/2011 at 04:47

Myself (extremely weathered traveler) and my husband (newish traveler) are planning a 13-day trip to Vietnam and are torn between concentrating on the north vs. the south. I REALLY want to get into Sapa and beyond, Luang Prabang and Vientiane , but I am particularly concerned about the amount of time it takes to get from one point to the next via ground transport. I don't think we can afford to fly into Laos. However, this trip looks right up our alley — a few city days in a Hanoi and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,616 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 17/3/2011 at 08:11

Ha Tien to Kampot?

Posted by emmryss on 1/2/2008 at 09:27

We're on lovely Phu Quoc island, enjoying it immensely, but will, at some point, have to leave. Does anyone know if you can get directly from Ha Tien (in Viet Nam) to Kampot (in Cambodia)? Oh, and what about from Kampot to Phnom Penh. many thanks, Murray ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,428 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by oasisbarhatien on 16/3/2011 at 09:42

Willing Volunteer Hanoi

Posted by rahc on 15/3/2011 at 10:30

My partner and I would really like to give some of our time while we are in Vietnam and are about to head to Hanoi. I have been sifted through various online advertisements where clearly what they need instead of a couple of extra people around to help is just money. Much as we would love to oblige we don't have enough to spare to pay huge volunteer fees, we also feel that if they are charging you loads to come in then realy going there is a benefit to you not to the people. Anywho if anywhere k ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,766 times, with no replies.

Hotel in Ha Tien

Posted by Mybell60 on 13/3/2011 at 07:30

Hi Is there a Kim Ngan Hotel/guesthouse or Hai Dang Hotel/guesthouse in Ha Tien? Any eMail contact addresses? Thanks Mybell60 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,792 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Mybell60 on 14/3/2011 at 23:51

Family trip to Vietnam

Posted by tjmaxa on 17/2/2011 at 14:14

We will be traveling in Vietnam in March - 2 families with kids ages 8, 8, 10, 13. We are trying to come up with an itinerary that won't be overwhelming for kids or adults. We fly in and out of Hanoi. We originally were planning to go to Laos, but are now leaning towards spending time towards the end of our trip relaxing at the beach (preferably a beach with good swimming and not too developed). Any itinerary advice specifically for traveling with children? We are talking about Hanoi, maybe ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,093 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by Trek on 13/3/2011 at 19:15

Cycling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min in early-mid april

Posted by ijf001 on 5/3/2011 at 13:54

I am 30 something from australia hoping cycling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min (or part thereof) in April... Looking for a riding partner with similar plan... Have not booked flights etc so am flexible in terms of dates... Ian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,107 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ijf001 on 13/3/2011 at 11:14

Motorbike trip from Saigon to Dalat....maybe

Posted by tomnewcombe on 2/3/2011 at 17:24

Hi there, currently 4 months into a year stay in Saigon and i thought it's about time to escape the coffee shops, bars and madness of the place (2 trips to lie on a beach in Nha Trang doesn't really cut it as travelling). So i'm going to undertake a 2 week motorbike trip and need some advice. I'm either going to travel up the coast to Danang as I really want to travel the Hai Van Pass then back down to Saigon via Dalat and it's surrounding areas, taking in the pass (not sure of the name) from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,278 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by burnthisnow on 11/3/2011 at 11:04

Beaten up by Hostel owners in Hanoi

Posted by dageshi on 3/3/2011 at 02:48

http://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/fvyet/my_two_friends_and_i_were_beat_up_by_the_owners/ Not me personally, I'm just a redditor, just thought I'd pass it on I don't know if this place has a reputation or not, hopefully some others can chime in. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,288 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by husun on 10/3/2011 at 23:48

How many days will it take on motorbike from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi?

Posted by sel206 on 10/3/2011 at 14:40

How long will this take if I take the route through the central highlands? Like if I take routes 14 and 15 all the way north, or nearby routes? Basically anything but route 1. Does anyone have any experience traveling from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi on motorbike? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,151 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by octopus29 on 10/3/2011 at 19:26

Phrase book LP or RG?

Posted by shoestringer on 19/2/2011 at 01:40

Im looking at getting myself a vietnamese phrase book for my trip to vietnam, which would you recomend lonely planet or rough guide? Any help much apreciated. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,993 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Hannett on 9/3/2011 at 13:55

Vietnam in March

Posted by gill1 on 11/2/2011 at 03:14

Hi Guys Just wanting to ask the experts a few questions before we leave for our epic journey... 1. We fly into HCM - what is the best way to get from the airport to HCMC? and how much approx will it cost? 2. We are aiming to buy bikes, should we bring helmets from the UK or buy them there? 3. Can anyone recommend a good clean, but cheap place to stay in HCMC for a few nights 4. I want to buy a Honda Wave or Dream can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy one? We will be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,211 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 11:33

con dao

Posted by kerrysimon on 14/2/2011 at 04:40

wondering if anyone has been to con dao and has an opinion of the island and where to stay. we are thinking of the con dao resort? the seatravel looks nice in pictures, but has terrible reviews online. any opinions? how about boat trips to the smaller island, tre lon and bay canh? are these easy to arrange? thanks for any info you can give me! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,473 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 11:19

Mekong Delta Cruise

Posted by KatMachine on 8/2/2011 at 19:24

How much does it cost? From saigon-phomn penh. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,595 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 10:47

Hue/Hoi An versus HCMC?

Posted by raygo on 7/3/2011 at 04:21

I only have enough time on my itinerary to visit either Hue/Hoi An OR Ho Chi Min City. I will have time to explore Hanoi and Angkor Wat and even a day in Phnom Penh. However, I just can't fit in BOTH the other two. I was told that we would get a feel for the Mekong Delta in a lake near Angkor Wat. I don't know if there is a substitute for the Chu Ci tunnels somewhere else? If we went to Hue/Hoi An, then we would just fly to HCMC and then directly to Siem Reap without staying in Saigon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,299 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 09:33

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page