Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Cycling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min in early-mid april

Posted by ijf001 on 5/3/2011 at 13:54

I am 30 something from australia hoping cycling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min (or part thereof) in April... Looking for a riding partner with similar plan... Have not booked flights etc so am flexible in terms of dates... Ian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,082 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ijf001 on 13/3/2011 at 11:14

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Motorbike trip from Saigon to Dalat....maybe

Posted by tomnewcombe on 2/3/2011 at 17:24

Hi there, currently 4 months into a year stay in Saigon and i thought it's about time to escape the coffee shops, bars and madness of the place (2 trips to lie on a beach in Nha Trang doesn't really cut it as travelling). So i'm going to undertake a 2 week motorbike trip and need some advice. I'm either going to travel up the coast to Danang as I really want to travel the Hai Van Pass then back down to Saigon via Dalat and it's surrounding areas, taking in the pass (not sure of the name) from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,196 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by burnthisnow on 11/3/2011 at 11:04

Beaten up by Hostel owners in Hanoi

Posted by dageshi on 3/3/2011 at 02:48

http://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/fvyet/my_two_friends_and_i_were_beat_up_by_the_owners/ Not me personally, I'm just a redditor, just thought I'd pass it on I don't know if this place has a reputation or not, hopefully some others can chime in. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,263 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by husun on 10/3/2011 at 23:48

How many days will it take on motorbike from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi?

Posted by sel206 on 10/3/2011 at 14:40

How long will this take if I take the route through the central highlands? Like if I take routes 14 and 15 all the way north, or nearby routes? Basically anything but route 1. Does anyone have any experience traveling from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi on motorbike? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,061 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by octopus29 on 10/3/2011 at 19:26

Phrase book LP or RG?

Posted by shoestringer on 19/2/2011 at 01:40

Im looking at getting myself a vietnamese phrase book for my trip to vietnam, which would you recomend lonely planet or rough guide? Any help much apreciated. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,971 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Hannett on 9/3/2011 at 13:55

Vietnam in March

Posted by gill1 on 11/2/2011 at 03:14

Hi Guys Just wanting to ask the experts a few questions before we leave for our epic journey... 1. We fly into HCM - what is the best way to get from the airport to HCMC? and how much approx will it cost? 2. We are aiming to buy bikes, should we bring helmets from the UK or buy them there? 3. Can anyone recommend a good clean, but cheap place to stay in HCMC for a few nights 4. I want to buy a Honda Wave or Dream can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy one? We will be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,189 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 11:33

con dao

Posted by kerrysimon on 14/2/2011 at 04:40

wondering if anyone has been to con dao and has an opinion of the island and where to stay. we are thinking of the con dao resort? the seatravel looks nice in pictures, but has terrible reviews online. any opinions? how about boat trips to the smaller island, tre lon and bay canh? are these easy to arrange? thanks for any info you can give me! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,455 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 11:19

Mekong Delta Cruise

Posted by KatMachine on 8/2/2011 at 19:24

How much does it cost? From saigon-phomn penh. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,574 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 10:47

Hue/Hoi An versus HCMC?

Posted by raygo on 7/3/2011 at 04:21

I only have enough time on my itinerary to visit either Hue/Hoi An OR Ho Chi Min City. I will have time to explore Hanoi and Angkor Wat and even a day in Phnom Penh. However, I just can't fit in BOTH the other two. I was told that we would get a feel for the Mekong Delta in a lake near Angkor Wat. I don't know if there is a substitute for the Chu Ci tunnels somewhere else? If we went to Hue/Hoi An, then we would just fly to HCMC and then directly to Siem Reap without staying in Saigon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,271 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 7/3/2011 at 09:33

Air Fare Question

Posted by LynneVermont on 6/3/2011 at 23:14

I'm planning a trip to Vietnam this summer (mid-June through mid-August) and trying to find the best air fare (family of four so it adds up fast). It looks like right now the best price is between $1600 - $1700. Does this sound right? Do prices typically drop as you move closer to the travel dates or are increases more typical? I realize this changes all the time based on fuel prices, but I want to get a sense as to whether the price I'm being quoted is reasonable. Also, anyone know of any ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,394 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by NYTim on 7/3/2011 at 01:32

motorcycle manuals

Posted by serco53 on 6/3/2011 at 13:00

Hi I'm living in Vietnam & would like to buy a motorcycle service manual in English for a Honda wave 110 - 125cc Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,062 times, with no replies.

Mekong Delta, My Tho town.

Posted by ramrod on 24/2/2011 at 01:05

Is My Tho in the Mekong Delta a nice place to stay for 2 nights and explore the Delta? I found this place to stay http://radeauxdumekong.com/ looks nice to me, did anyone stay here or know this place ? Thx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,360 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by Soc_viettrip on 5/3/2011 at 17:40

Advice on a travel agent

Posted by stelcy on 3/3/2011 at 18:44

Hey Has anyone used Smile Travel Vietnam? I want to use them to arrange visa but not sure if they are legitimate of not. Any advice will be great. Thanks, S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,351 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 5/3/2011 at 16:13

A short trip > Vietnam > Cambodia

Posted by TBD1 on 22/2/2011 at 13:15

Myself and my partner are planning a short trip to Vietnam/Cambodia. We live in Hong Kong so have taken the chance over the Easter break to book a trip. We arrive in Ho Chi Min on Apr 22nd and leave from there on May 2nd the rest of the trip we need to fill in. So basically we're looking for advice about what to see, how long to stay, best ways to get in between, should we book travel and rooms before arrival etc. Any advice would be much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,924 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by tomnewcombe on 2/3/2011 at 17:30

Phu Quoc in July or August?

Posted by lords3 on 2/3/2011 at 03:12

We are arriving in HCMC for 3 weeks holiday with our 8 year old daughter, Mid July. We want a week on the beach at Phu Quoc but should we go first in Mid July or leave it to the first week in August? We realise it is rainy season but can't work out whether to head North or South first. Any advice gratefully received. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,173 times, with no replies.

Vietnam through Cambodia to Thailand

Posted by NinaFraser1990 on 28/2/2011 at 04:56

Im hoping to head through Cambodia via bus or car from Vietnam to Thailand, I want to spend a few days and check out some cool places around the end of October this year, I will be with my friend but anyone else who is wanting to do something similar you should get in touch and join us, the more the merrier! Also open to suggestions! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,113 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by NinaFraser1990 on 1/3/2011 at 10:53

Visa

Posted by ltran on 18/2/2011 at 09:05

Hey, I'm leaving to Southeast Asia early May for 6 weeks. I'm entering at Ho Chi Minh City and was planning to travel by bus to Cambodia, will I need to apply for a Cambodian Visa? Also, would I apply for a multi-entry Vietnamese Visa if I tend to enter again? Linda ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,705 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by ltran on 24/2/2011 at 03:45

Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Laos in 4 weeks (May)

Posted by dco000 on 16/2/2011 at 23:49

A friend and I are planning on the following route (roughly) for April 26 - May 23. Wondering if it seems feasible and if there are any suggestions? Ho Chi Minh --> Phnom Penh (up and back to Angkor/Siem Reap) Phnomh Penh --> Muang Khong and Pakse areas of Southern Loas East to Vietnam border and up to Hoi An Rent motorbikes if possible to make our way up to Ha Noi? Fly out of Ha Noi Anyone know if there are places to rent a bike in Hoi An/ Da Nang and drop it off in Ha Noi? Tha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,150 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by dco000 on 23/2/2011 at 23:11

Ha Long Bay boat sinks, upto 12 feared dead

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/2/2011 at 13:39

News reports today of a Ha Long Bay tourist boat sinking at around 5am this morning, with upto 12 people feared drowned. Reports are still very sketchy, though it seems most of the dead were foreign tourists. The Sydney Morning Herald has a pretty good wrap with quotes describing the boat as "cheap" and "having engine problems". We were told by an agent in Hanoi that the operator of the boat was Truong Hai Ltd Boat Company. It's difficult to give advice as virtually eve ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,244 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by tf_geckozy on 23/2/2011 at 16:29

Asia deluxe cruise - Anyone out there who did it?

Posted by romana on 22/2/2011 at 12:54

I've been offered a 3D2N for Asia deluxe cruise - one night on the boat and one in the Monkey Island resort (offer was made by a Sihn Cafe in Bat Dan St - Hotel Memory). The price is very good - 90$ - and from my research is more or less what other travellers have paid. However, I can't find any recent reviews and I was wondering if anyone has done this cruise recently and can share experiences with me. After the recent tragedy in Halong I'm concerned, but on the other hand I think it's probably ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,188 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by romana on 22/2/2011 at 18:27

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page