Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

4 wks left in SEA...Vietnam or Laos/Camb?

Posted by theothervaletguy on 11/12/2010 at 11:34

4 wks left in SEA...Should I spend them in Vietnam or Laos/Camb? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,632 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 31/12/2010 at 18:23

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Ha Giang tour advice please?

Posted by hypersigil on 12/12/2010 at 01:34

I am going to be in the North of Vietnam with my brother at the beginning of March. We are looking to visit Ha Giang and the area north of there. I read the NYT article on the region and have seen other travellers' reports and it seems like a really beautiful place, and I am a beautychaser. Anyway, it's hard to find info on good tours of the area. My understanding is that: 1. We need a permit to visit this area. 2. There is no proper public transportation in the area. Therefore, we prefer to d ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,709 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 31/12/2010 at 18:12

Mai Chau- getting there & where to stay.

Posted by MiaBritton on 30/12/2010 at 07:44

I'm off to Vietnam in February and have a couple of days with nothing planned so far. I can spend more time in the Mekong and Hanoi or take a 1d1n trip to Mai Chau. Am I allowing enough time to get there, see a bit and get back to Hanoi again? There's a bit of info on the buses, but no estimates on how long the trip is- can anyone tell me? Also, what homestays did you go to, where were they (I know a few of the better ones are out of the main area) and how much were they? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,974 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 31/12/2010 at 10:38

Accommodation

Posted by ChrisJenko on 28/12/2010 at 15:53

Hi all, Hope everyone has had a great xmas... anyways im after some advice for accommodation in Ho Chi Minh for next week. i'll be flying into Vietnam on the 4th Jan to start my 12th month tour of South East Asia ... getting excited its so close... And i havent booked any accommodation yet, now i know that Pham Ngu Lao is the backpacker district and where much of the cheap hotels ect are located. I have a few places in mind that i am leaning towards booking for the first 1-2 nights... my post ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,086 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 31/12/2010 at 02:17

Arriving in Ho Chi Minh at 1230 am

Posted by nickolt on 28/12/2010 at 13:39

Hello. My bf and I will be travelling through SE Asia this Jan through May. We have a flight booked from Manila into Ho Chi Minh. The only problem is that our flight lands at 1230 am in HCM. How safe/advisable is it to take a taxi into the city at this time ? Would it just be better to hang out in the airport till daylight? We will be booking our hostel ahead of time so that it wont be a problem finding somewhere to stay. Just not sure if taking a taxi at that time is going to be safe or if the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,449 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by puretravel on 30/12/2010 at 02:05

Travelling from Phu Quoc Island to Cambodia

Posted by NorwegianP on 30/6/2010 at 22:14

Hi! So we are travelling to the Phu Quoc Island s from the Mekong area, but we were wondering if it is possible (and recommend) to travel strait from Phu Quoc Island to Cambodia. For example: get from Phu Quoc Island to Phnom Penh some how, and the take a cruise to Siem Reap. What do you guys think about getting of Phu Quoc Island? Thanks Norwegian P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 16,417 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by comi on 27/12/2010 at 18:40

Trains Hanoi-Nanning

Posted by Danka on 13/7/2006 at 21:25

Hi, Does anyone know which days the train goes from Hanoi to Nanning in China? I heard it only goes on two days a week and apparently the online schedules from the Vietnamese railway are not correct. I want to go Liuzhou eventually but as you don't cover China I won't go into much detail here. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Danka ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 22,472 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by uk_vette on 27/12/2010 at 15:26

Wet season - is it busy or dead?

Posted by km0193 on 24/12/2010 at 06:26

Hi, First off, great forum's. Very very useful indeed. I'm going to do a 3 month trip around SEA (Thai/Laos/Cam/Vitnam/Indo) from June 2011. I have done loads of research and I realise that it'll be hot, humid and wet. This doesn't really bother me. What I have not managed to find out however is just how quiet it will be with backpackers at this time. I know it'll be quieter, but will it be dead?? I'm travelling solo and this is my main fear, one of the the main purpose's of my trip is to meet ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,019 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by PhongVietnam on 27/12/2010 at 15:16

Need help in planning a trip

Posted by MorrieC on 27/12/2010 at 13:04

There are six of us traveling to Ho Chi Minh City arriving at the end of February and staying for 15 days. My wife is Vietnamese and her sister an husband will be traveling with us as well so the language should not be a problem. This is there first trip back to Saigon for my wife and her sister in 35 years so there is a lot they want to see (which is my concern, trying to do too much). The following is a tentative schedule. Feb 25 - 27 Ho Chi Minh City Feb 28 Fly to Hue ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,678 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by PhongVietnam on 27/12/2010 at 15:05

3 weeks in Vietnam - Advice

Posted by ChrisJenko on 20/11/2010 at 10:07

As the title suggest i am looking to start my trip with a south to north 3 week tour of vietnam. I am looking to book a flight from Sydney to HCMC on the 4th January 2011 with a flight from Hanoi to Phnom Penh, Cambodia on the 27th Jan 2011. This leaves me with 23 days to get from south to north and im after any advice on my itinerary, transport, must see sites ect. So far it looks like i will land in HCMC spend a few days here and a day trip thro the Mekong Delta possibly to Can Tho and t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,798 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by abc on 25/12/2010 at 23:30

Hanoi to Hue to nha trang??

Posted by jessicaf on 19/11/2010 at 10:59

Hi, I was wondering what the best way to get from Hanoi to Hue is? and then from Hue to Nha trang? Is this a good order or is there a better way to do this? we are trying to make our way down to Saigon, to the Mekong delta, then to Angkor Wat. from the Mekong delta what is the best way to get over to Angkor wat? we would like to avoid flying if possible, unless the flights are inexpensive. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,027 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by vivekanand on 25/12/2010 at 23:25

Sen Monorom to Vietnam 2010

Posted by pete61 on 25/12/2010 at 17:42

I read the border crossings link (is it up to date?) and am hopeful something else has opened up to cross to Vietnam without having to go so far back south. We are coming up from PP to Kratie and then over to Sen Monorom and hope to go East to Vietnam and towards the coast. Any chances now or any tips? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,949 times, with no replies.

Nice shop for your shopping

Posted by Connie09 on 25/12/2010 at 16:34

Our shop is under name of Bella May shop and it is located in no#17 Au Trieu street - Hoan Kiem district. Most of our products in the shop are being produced by our company and the price is reasonable. We are specialized in producing: - Ladies clothes in silk, chiffon, linen, organza... - Accessories in wooden, shell, beaded.... - Homewares in silk, cotton, linen, faux suede, organza... including embroidery - Handicrafts in bamboo, shell, beaded... - Export enquiries welcome. Our products are ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,651 times, with no replies.

One day in Ho Chi Minh. What can we do?

Posted by mia22 on 19/10/2010 at 21:54

Hi, a friend and I have just one day to spend in Saigon before we head out to Cambodia. We really want to maximize the time we have. We've seen the Reunification Palace and the Cuchi tunnels already so we want to see other places and do other things. Any tips on what else we can do in 24 hours? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,471 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by JiroIsCounting on 24/12/2010 at 11:49

win hotel hanoi

Posted by liema on 5/12/2010 at 09:22

Has anyone stayed at win hotel, Hanoi. or know anything about the place? It's e-mail ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,913 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by duong on 23/12/2010 at 16:41

Delta trip from HCMC to Phnomh Penh

Posted by lindag on 1/12/2010 at 20:59

We had been planning a 2 day, 1 night trip from hcmc to pp via the delta but have only been able to find one company so far that is doing a 2 day trip. No time for longer trip. Have seen some bad reviews of the company (delta adventure tours). Does anyone have recent experience or alternative suggestions? We would be prepared to pay a bit more for some comfort. Many thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,612 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by duong on 22/12/2010 at 16:14

getting a visa in cambodia

Posted by ann1986 on 16/12/2010 at 13:22

Hi, all ~~ I'm arriving in Cambodia on January 20th, then heading to Vietnam on the 26th or 27th. I've heard that it's possible to get same-day visas to Vietnam in Cambodia. Has anyone out there done this? Is it the easiest way to get a visa or is it better to organize one ahead of time? Thanks! Ann ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,405 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by ann1986 on 22/12/2010 at 10:41

saigon to hanoi by land

Posted by cocoku on 18/12/2010 at 22:21

hello anyone has ever taken a land transport from saigon to hanoi? which is the fastest way and how long it takes? i am planning to spend 10 days in vietnam starts in saigon and i want to use land transport for the whole trip, tight budget thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,651 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by cocoku on 19/12/2010 at 10:40

Good Food - Hanoi

Posted by daawgon on 2/12/2010 at 21:23

I just ate a great dinner in the Old Quarter at Blue Butterfly, 61 Hang Buom, really my best meal in some time in Vietnam. I was beginning to think all Viet dishes were either Pho or greasy fried foods, but now that I've had some good Viet cooking, I've changed my mind. This place is not real cheap, and not real expensive. I paid 170,000VND for a nice 3-course seafood dinner, and I will return real real soon. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,473 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 19/12/2010 at 05:09

Saigon Airport Bus 152

Posted by jaizan on 18/12/2010 at 15:19

Bus 152 runs from the airport to the centre of town. This should cost 3000 dong. The driver was charging 6000 today. A ticket inspector got on part way through the route & confirmed the price should be 3000. Do I care about the 3000 dong? Not really. However, I certainly don't like to see the driver profiting from fraud. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,200 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page