Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Motorbike Hire in Vietnam

Posted by trobs on 1/2/2011 at 19:45

I am quite keen to hire a motorbike while in Vietnam but keep hearing differing views about the legality of doing this. Is it possible/ feasible to get a Vietnamese motorbike licence while over there and thereby cover travel insurance and police worries. I have previously hired motorbikes in Bali but getting caught by the police only entails a ~$7 AUD "fine". My travel insurance covers me as long as I have a licence valid in the relevant country. I only have a car licence in Australia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,874 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 8/2/2011 at 18:20

Book your Vietnam travel tickets online
  Buy train, bus and ferry tickets online.

Face Book blocked in Vietnam

Posted by TomDo on 2/1/2011 at 21:33

Hello Tom, you can use this link: www.lisp4.facebook.com to access your facebook or change DNS Good luck ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,214 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 8/2/2011 at 18:05

Tour Agency.... Opinion?

Posted by jivie798 on 8/2/2011 at 17:38

I checked out sinhcafe's tours... Their budget tours appear to be very cheap amongst competitors.... Any opinion? Anyone tried their tour? http://sinhcafe.com/english_pro/Daily_Tours.htm If there is any other agency which is reliable and cheap....lets share... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,459 times, with no replies.

Itinerary advises needed!

Posted by littlenoire on 19/11/2010 at 12:01

Hi guys, My husband and I will be travelling in Vietnam from the Jan,28th to Feb 9th, Can someone take a look at my itinerary please? I am now really concern about travelling during Tet which hasnt been acrossed my mind before i booked the tickets.... 28/01 Fri Beijing- Hanoi -6pm Arrive in Hanoi -Hotel checkin and walk around the city 29/01 Sat Hanoi-Halong Bay(2days and 1 night) -Heading to Halong Bay(havent book the Junk yet, still in the process of comparing) 30/1 Sun Halong-Hanoi- Hue ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,417 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by siu_siu on 8/2/2011 at 13:43

Punjabi Suit

Posted by chrystee on 8/2/2011 at 06:28

Hello, do tailors make punjabi suits in Vietnam? I'm going to KL for a wedding straight after my trip. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,431 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Randy on 8/2/2011 at 09:07

Need advise and tips....First Timers from Malaysia....planning to Hanoi...

Posted by jivie798 on 6/2/2011 at 19:21

5 of us are planning a week trip to hanoi and ha long bay... But as a first time backpacker.... we need advise, eg. where should we leave our pasports while doing water activities like kayaking....can we trust them to the guide? If any of the members have tips, do tell us... Thank you.... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,298 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by jivie798 on 7/2/2011 at 17:55

Motorbiking Hanoi to Sapa. begining of Feb 2011. Any takers?

Posted by travellite on 7/2/2011 at 14:59

Hey everyone. I want to motorbike from Hanoi to Sapa and do some sightseeing up north in the next week or so. I don't want to do a scheduled tour with a tour operator, would rather go at it alone. Thats why I'm considering making the trip on a rented motor bike. I hear that the visibility in the area might be bad because of the altitude, so would this be a bad idea this time of year? Also I'm a solo traveller 23 yr old American traveller, so is anyone in the area and want to join up for ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,858 times, with no replies.

Central Highlands by car

Posted by beanie53 on 4/2/2011 at 05:31

We have 16 nights/15 days to visit Vietnam, arriving Feb. 15, 2011. I've been doing a lot of research, and of course we can't do everything we would like, so I've tried to pick out a variety of experiences. Just wanted to run this proposed itinerary by you, and see if it's realistic, or too totally crazy... We are used to cramming a lot into our journeys, and like to see the countryside and local people, so don't mind a few fairly long travel days. Day 1, (Feb. 16th), land in HCMC at night, st ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,513 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by beanie53 on 7/2/2011 at 14:19

Northbound from Can Tho

Posted by socal on 4/2/2011 at 00:52

I'm interested in traveling north from Can Tho to Dalat, but would like to avoid HCMC. Is this possible? Are there buses or boats? Can I do this in one day or do I need to stop along the way? Ta Cu Mountain could be a possible good stop. Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated! Thanks, Maria ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,927 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by jackdsilva12 on 7/2/2011 at 14:06

cambodia to vietnam/hanoi

Posted by shedman120 on 6/2/2011 at 18:27

Hi, I'm currently in thailand, been here for a week now and just about to head off to koh chang, then cambodia, I will be stopping off in phnom penh and will then be heading to vietnam. Just trying to find out what the best way to get from cambodia to hanoi is, as i don't want to go to HCMC as I've heard it's expensive. thanks all ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,011 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/2/2011 at 07:46

Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand in 6 - 7 weeks

Posted by LynneVermont on 6/2/2011 at 13:26

I am planning a trip in July - August with a family of four (two adults, two children ages 10 & 13) and am trying to find an airline that will allow us to fly into Hanoi and out of Bangkok, any suggestions? None of the websites seem to be set up for this arrangement and I prefer not to sit on hold at every airline just blindly calling around. My other question is around travel distances in SEA. I am having a hard time finding information around how long legs of the trip will take us. W ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,352 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/2/2011 at 07:44

Some aspects into Adventures of SEA

Posted by Randy on 6/2/2011 at 11:48

Here is my personal opinions/experiences/knowledges about Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam travel, generally. I'm not a fan of Lao travel even if Lao has a lot of un-touch areas and very friendly people, but due to Laotian land locked country, no ocean view could be seen...To me, Thailand and Cambodia as whole, they have almost similar cultures, same structures, heavily Indian influence with majority of beautiful temples, pagodas with complicated details..Thailand is more commercial and exspensive co ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,829 times, with no replies.

Dalat to Nha Trang

Posted by MorrieC on 2/1/2011 at 23:56

Six of us will be traveling together in early March and would like to go from Dalat to Nha Trang . How long will this trip take? Can we hire a driver and a car in Dalat to drive us to Nha Trang or will we need to travel by other means? Thank you Morrie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,067 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Randy on 5/2/2011 at 23:25

Beware: Purse Snatcher

Posted by tessagds on 5/2/2011 at 08:02

3 in 3 Days here in HCMC.... Especially women with regular purse... use fanny pack or sling style purse and keep it infront of you all the time... anything valuable should be kept invinsible...... they will watch you from block to block....so be carefull.. DONT TELL ME I DIDNT WARN YOU. BTW.... They will snuck up at you from behind in a motor cycle...(fast ones) so you cant catch them and they work in two.. one drive up... one snatch your purse... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,121 times, with no replies.

solo motorcycling in Vietnam

Posted by baminem on 7/1/2011 at 11:13

I'm trying to plan a trip from the south of Vietnam starting in Ho Chi Minh City and ending in Hanoi. Right now I'm planning on travelling solo, but that could change if I find another or others to travel with. I'll be arriving in Vietnam in mid March and I have a month to do the trip, or more if I can renew my Visa. I'm trying to pick a route upwards and I'm having a bit of trouble picking the best route, if there is a best route. I'm considering heading from HCM to Pleiku through the Cent ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,923 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Randy on 4/2/2011 at 04:06

Con dao

Posted by ellengerda on 28/1/2011 at 17:49

Hello, Thinking off going to the Con Dao islands around 5 Feb..must be really beautifull! Don't want to pay more than $30 per night, any suggestions? I'm travelling in my own, is this a place for backpackers or is it a family island? Maybe somebody with te same plans? Let me know... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,057 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ti325v on 2/2/2011 at 07:47

Quick visit to Vietnam in late Sept - Planes, trains or automobiles?

Posted by gabic1 on 1/2/2011 at 17:17

I am planning my honeymoon in Thailand in late September and I am looking to trek and explore for the first 7 nights so I thought why no pop over to Vietnam & Cambodia... below is what i want to do... these are the key things which i can spread over the 7 nights but I am unsure what the weather is like this time of year as i heard the roads etc are no the best... If i fly everywhere the cost is high... can i lower the cost by trains or coach without extending my stay for over 7 days? Day 1 - ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,761 times, with no replies.

WHICH ARE THE CHAEP PLACES TO VISIT IN VIETNAM?

Posted by SIKELGAITA on 1/2/2011 at 05:34

Hey! I'm in Saigon, during the TET, incredible! but here everyting it's so expensive (i have to travel other 3 months). Could someone suggest me some cheap places to visit and beaches? thanx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,306 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jackdsilva12 on 1/2/2011 at 14:00

where to start,where to go

Posted by gansam on 16/1/2011 at 21:41

Hello I am wondering if any one can help us plan out Holiday to Vietnam and Cambodia My two sisters and I would like to travel to the above places in Mid April but can not decide where to start the trip., I have been researching the trip but not having much luck in planning an itinerary We have though of doing organised tours however we are not keen on this as we prefer the freedom to visit places on our own and manage our own time table. The problem is that we want to clam to much in 14 day ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,864 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by vietnamrum on 1/2/2011 at 10:20

Siam Reap to Hanoi in ten days,,,,

Posted by Gez1975 on 27/1/2011 at 05:45

Dear all We are planning to leave Siam Reap on 15 Feb and need to catch a flight out of Hanoi ten days later... I would like to ask your opinions please on whether you would concentrate your efforts on seeing the South, maybe spending some time on Phu Quoc Island and then making your way up to Hoi An, before going direct to Hanoi (and given the time of year I think we may get some sunshine in the South, but not the North), or whether you would ignore Phu Quoc and train steadily up the coast ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,801 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 1/2/2011 at 08:56

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page