Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Current weather in Saigon

Posted by summ3r on 25/10/2010 at 10:23

We would like to know the current weather in Saigon as we'll be travelling there this coming Wed. Has anyone just returned from the city and what's the current weather like? Have seen some news about flooding in the northern parts of Vietnam, not sure if Saigon is facing the same problem? Would it be safe to do Mekong tour during the monsoon too? Thanks in advance for any info provided! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,103 times, with no replies.

Ha Long independently

Posted by Buzz on 20/10/2010 at 18:05

me and a friend will of course want to see Ha Long Bay during our first visit to Vietnam, but we hate big tour groups, and while we are technically backpackers, are not big fans of the 'backpacker scene". Can Ha Long be done independently and reasonably? I was thinking of the following: Get a bus from Hanoi to Halong City (how easy is this without a tour? where do I get it?), then take a ferry to Cat Ba (do you really see the bay in such a cruise? is that a good way to do it?), spend ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,663 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by mikethediver on 24/10/2010 at 19:23

Vietnam Travel in November

Posted by travelcore on 21/10/2010 at 18:22

Had planned a holiday in Vietnam and Thailand in Nov and Dec, just seeing all the flood issues in central Vietnam, is it still ok to go there? Was thinking about Hanoi on to Ha Long Bay and then maybe the Island of Dao Phu Qui? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,092 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by dizriz on 24/10/2010 at 14:03

Minsk for sale in Hanoi x 4

Posted by darren0771 on 13/7/2009 at 12:20

We have just arrived in Hanoi , and are looking to sell 4 Minsks. We are staying at the Hanoi Civility Hotel, a street behind Hanoi Backpackers Hostel Road. All the Minsks are in good condition, with spares, maps, phrase book and rain covers, 1 is a sports Model. They have been brilliant bikes and have just travelled from the Mekong Delta to Hanoi, VIA the central highlands We are looking for $400 per bike o.n.o Please email darrencounsell@hotmail.com, Come see the bikes at the Civi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,911 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by valaria7 on 24/10/2010 at 13:56

hcmc to phnom penh

Posted by galey200 on 23/10/2010 at 01:24

Hi, I have seen reviews of a 2 day cruise from hcmc to phnom penh...think it was boat to chau doc and then bus. I've trawlwd the internet but can't find anywhere less than 3 days? I'm a bit short on time so would be grateful if anybody has any knowledge please. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,125 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by galey200 on 24/10/2010 at 02:30

Turboprop flights to Phu Quoc

Posted by averydka99 on 23/10/2010 at 23:13

Hello, Can anyone who has flown into Phu Quoc tell me how the flight was on Vietnam Airlines Turbo prop? I have flown on these before and usually get deathly motion sick. Was planning on the ferry from Rach Gia, but postings make it sound very unreliable. Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,869 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by averydka99 on 24/10/2010 at 01:14

Buy a motorbike in Hue/Hoi An/Da Nang

Posted by ahtheking on 8/10/2010 at 10:42

Hello, me and a friend want to buy a motorbike (something like a Honda Wave or a Minsk) in Central Vietnam, something around Hue, Hoi An or Da Nang. When you want to sell your bike to us, let us know: ahkingma@gmail.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,445 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by dansace on 23/10/2010 at 10:25

Halong Bay Cruises

Posted by scottyheather on 17/11/2009 at 15:24

Hi there. I've done quite a lot of internet research on these cruises and I know that there are obviously good and bad tours operating. I've seen a couple I like the look of (Vega Tours or Columbus Cruises) but am not sure how far ahead we have to book. My husband and I are travelling from Laos to Hanoi overland and hope to set off on Boxing Day (26/12) from Luang Prabang. We've allowed three days for travel and hope to arrive in Hanoi around 29th December. However we aren't really ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 21,737 times, with 53 replies. Last reply by Indochine on 21/10/2010 at 12:35

Ha Long Bay Tours

Posted by monkindy on 3/10/2010 at 16:37

Hey Guys There is a group of 8 of us looking to do a ha long bay cruise for new years eve. Ive been looking into it but with the huge amount of operators and the horror stories bout junk cruises i thought id be best to ask. So there are 8 of us and we are really looking to spend a max of 200-250 nz dollars (which is about 150 to 180 us) each but cheaper would be better. We arent expecting 5 star at this price but we don't want to be ripped off either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,943 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by saggie on 20/10/2010 at 15:49

Pongour Falls: has anybody been and can recommend?

Posted by cieciorka on 11/10/2010 at 02:51

I am thinking of going to Dalat, but only to see Pongour Falls (I've seen the pictures and have read that it is really worth visiting). However, if anybody has been there and can confirm if it's worth a special trip, it would help me a lot. I am planning to go 2nd half of November as it might have a meaning in this case. Many thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,677 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by cieciorka on 19/10/2010 at 00:38

SaPa in mid Frebruary

Posted by suwanneej on 15/10/2010 at 08:36

Just wondering if SaPa will be worth it in mid-February. I wanna trek some but if its cold, foggy and muddy...hmmm! Don't wanna huddle by a fireside or under electric blankets for my time there. I know the weather is unpredictable but would be interersted in some thoughts on this issue. Maybe I should plan to spread my four Sapa days over other places like Hue, Ninh Binh/Tam Coc and Hanoi ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,989 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by rawjer on 17/10/2010 at 15:12

Cristina Cruise, Halong Bay

Posted by RenaG on 10/11/2009 at 12:13

Hi- is anyone familiar with Cristina Cruise? It was recommended by my hotel and I just want to make sure it will be a nice experience b/c I've read some horror stories!It is a mid-range cruise. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 12,274 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by rawjer on 17/10/2010 at 15:05

Connection times for flight?

Posted by jonyd1 on 16/10/2010 at 01:15

Hi again all! So, I am about to book my flight into Siem Reap (for a trip that continues on to vietnam for the majority), and I was curious if anyone had any tips on how much time is reccomended to make a connection - the flight I am looking at goes from JFK-ICN-REP, and there is a 1 hour layover in ICN - do you think that is enough? I figure worst case, I have to catch the flight the next night (it looks like there is only 1 flight in each night?), but I thought I would run it by you knowledg ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,353 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by jonyd1 on 16/10/2010 at 22:06

Buying a used kite in Mui Ne

Posted by cadavret on 14/10/2010 at 20:12

I'm going to Mui Ne in a couple of days and wonder if there is someone who can sell or knows someone who sell used kites and harnesses for a reasonable price? I'm thinking about staying there for a few weeks and it would be quite expensive to rent one for that long of a period. // Cadavret ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,910 times, with no replies.

another weather in november question

Posted by snowfish on 18/10/2009 at 06:24

Please review our itinerary- Nov 4 till 19 2 days Hanoi 4 days Sapa trekking 4 days Ha long bay /Cat Ba 4 days Hoi An Bach Ma national park trekking 4 days Mekong Delta Question is4 days in Hoi An risky weatherwise ? Should we stay longer around Hanoi ? Thank you ! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,977 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 12/10/2010 at 04:38

Processing Time for Vietnam Visa in Kuala Lumpur

Posted by gdansk on 11/10/2010 at 20:48

Hi all I was wandering how long it will take to get a visa in KL? Also does anyone know the cost of 90day multiple entry visa? Thanks. Marek ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,494 times, with no replies.

Ocean Tours - Ha Noi/Ha Long Bay :-)

Posted by andrea73 on 25/6/2008 at 19:07

They are Brilliant!! We only took the two-day, one-night Ha Long Bay tour, as it was all the time we had, but oh how great they wêre! Great service, and wonderful guides. We opted to stay on their private beach in a lovely bungalow - AWESOME. You can see the glỉttering lights of Cat Ba Town from the beach, but hear none of the noise - just the sounds of surf and jungle. The bungalows are smart and clean (and thêre are only a dozen or so), and apparently they are tơtally unique ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,475 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by vuzu on 10/10/2010 at 06:20

anywhere we must visit in Vietnam?

Posted by sems on 4/9/2010 at 11:36

whoops new computer... we are traveling to Vietnam in two weeks. Cat Ba, Hanoi, Dong Hoi, Hue, Danang, Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh. Aside from all the regular stuff that is aimed at the tourist trade does anyone have any suggestions of anything that isn't widely touted but was an amazing experience, great dinner, cool activity or the like? I am sick of coming back from hoildays and people going "Oh you should have gone there...that was the best ever" Any suggestions gratefully received.. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,062 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by saggie on 8/10/2010 at 23:53

Thoughts on itinerary?

Posted by jonyd1 on 29/9/2010 at 02:55

Hi everyone - first post here - it seemed like this was the place to go for good advice in this part of the world. I am currently planning my first trip to Vietnam (and a little Cambodia) for later this year, and I wanted to get your opinions on the start of my plans. I suppose I should preface this with a bit of what I am looking for. I like to try and get off the beaten path at least a bit. Anyway, here is what I had in mind so far: -Fly into Phnom Penh, take bus to Siem Reap , and spend a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,962 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 7/10/2010 at 14:08

Travel Saigon to Hanoi by motorbike asap!

Posted by dansace on 6/10/2010 at 18:42

Hi, I'm an english male looking to travel north through vietnam by motorbike. My plan is to ride a route similar to the ho chi minh highway ( through the countryside ) and to try avoid highway 1 as much as possible. I am currently in Saigon and looking for a bike and someone to join me. I am hoping to set off as soon as possible! I do not ride a motorbike back in the UK, so i am a novice rider, but i have been riding rental bikes throughout asia. My vietnamese mobile number is 0904568341 Dan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,581 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page