Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Vietnam - Cambodia Itinerary

Posted by Rudolf on 10/9/2010 at 01:06

Perhaps someone knowledgeable would be kind enough to comment on the following. My thought is to go to Vietnam in January 2011 and then drop into Camodia during Tet in early February before returning after the holiday. The itinerary looks quite busy and is mostly driven by a wish to visit Camodia on the same trip. I could cut that bit out of course and linger elsewhere in Vietnam. Anyway Hanoi - 3 nights Night train to Hoi An Hoi An - 2 nights Flight to HCMC HCMC - 3 nights Travel to PP via C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,009 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 11/9/2010 at 09:40

Indochina Orbit: Halong Bay - Angkor Wat - Luang Prabang

Posted by Auscharm on 9/9/2010 at 16:41

My friend and I are going to visit Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia to see the world's heritage sites of Halong Bay, Angkor Wat and Luang Prabang. This is a trip around the orbit of Indochina. I'm from Vietnam, my girl friend from Thailand. Could you help us to customize the suitable trip to this wonderful region? Whether we need visa to Cambodia and Laos? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,385 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by eastwest on 10/9/2010 at 13:48

Group Accommodations Hanoi & HCMC

Posted by Jenzy on 31/8/2010 at 03:37

A few of my friends & I are travelling to Vietnam for a wedding. We're going to be in Hanoi for 4 days then down to Saigon for a few days. The group ranges from 2 (if my husband & I are on our own) to up to 10 possibly on some nights. I've been researching rental houses/villa's but can't find much (I found one in Saigon but it's booked). Do they just not exist in Vietnam? Any suggestions for accommodations ideal for groups in either Hanoi or Ho Chi Man City? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,406 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 6/9/2010 at 14:38

Vietnam #2 for Solo Travelers

Posted by daawgon on 4/9/2010 at 00:37

Best Countries for Solo Travelers (Travel & Leisure Magazine) No. 2: Vietnam Happiness Ranking: 5 Safety Ranking: 38 What a difference a generation or two makes. This former war-torn country is now routinely cited for both the friendliness and the forgiving nature of its people, especially toward Americans. The national trait is clearly optimism. Hook up with an outfitter to take a bike trip in a countryside of thick jungle and undulating coastline. Become a beach bum and spend a week beac ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,836 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 4/9/2010 at 11:19

Beach Recommendation from HCMC

Posted by sic8vita8est on 11/8/2010 at 22:54

Hi all, We are going to be coming into HCMC and doing a bit of traveling in Southern Vietnam before moving on to Cambodia. We'd like to do at least 1 short trip (couple of days) to a beach, but can't figure out or decide what would be best. Any recommendations? And how much travel time can we count on to get there? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,787 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 3/9/2010 at 15:00

Going Fansipan Trekking 13 Nov to 21 Nov 2010, need help!

Posted by SKYWalkersSG on 2/9/2010 at 11:03

Hi all, We are a group of 20 experienced hikers from Singapore (been to Mt. Kinabalu, Mt. Rinjani). we want to trek Mt. Fansipan, and our air tickets are booked. We intend to do this: 13 Nov (Sat) - Arrive in Ha Noi, go to Ha Noi railway station, board train to Lao Cai 14 Nov (Sun) - Arrive in Lao Cai, go to Bac Ha Sunday market, look around After that, proceed to Sa Pa, stay overnight. 15 Nov (Mon) - Start Fansipan Trekking 16 Nov (Tue) - Fansipan Trekking 17 Nov (Wed) - finish trekking, g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,873 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 3/9/2010 at 09:46

Professional photo shop in HCMC?

Posted by ingridmj on 31/8/2010 at 01:42

Hi I'm a photographer and I'm going to Vietnam for 3 months. I really need to have my camera cleaned, but I won't have the time do get it done before I leave, because I need it for some shoots... Does anyone know of a place in HCMC (or perhaps Hanoi, I'm going there later) where I can deliver my camera and get it cleaned by professionals? It's a Nikon... All tips are very much appreciated Ingrid ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,343 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ingridmj on 31/8/2010 at 22:59

My trip to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand in 13 days

Posted by TennisHaus on 26/8/2010 at 11:17

I just got back from Southeast Asia. My wife and I had a great time. Our itinerary: 1. Days 1-4. arrived in Hanoi and spent one day unwinding and checking out the old Quarter. That night we wnet to the Water Puppets (give it a C+ grade). The next morning we went to Halong Bay on Vega Travel (A grade). Halong Bay is awesome and everyone on our book was in our age group (27-33). WE came back and the next day we booked with Hanoi Kids (A+ grade). Our giude took us to great food on the street and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,792 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 31/8/2010 at 16:28

Mui Ne to Phu Quoc

Posted by 45baht on 28/7/2010 at 16:51

Now then, I'm in Nha Trang at the minute; heading to Mui ne in a couple of days and I was wondering if there was any way of travelling directly from Mui ne to Phu Quoc. I need to skip Saigon as I'm meeting my folks on Phu Quoc a day or two before they leave Viet Nam. And was planning to stay maybe a night in Saigon on the way back before going into Cambodia. if anyone knows if this is possible and how much it costs/long it takes i would be grateful for information. Cheers Alex ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,747 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by renrendiaz on 28/8/2010 at 20:34

Looking for info on a possible cave up from Nha Trang

Posted by jmgh on 16/8/2010 at 21:01

I have heard there is a cave just up from Nha Trang which has huge Buddhas and crystals in it, can anyone tell me if this is true and where we'd find it. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,718 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by abc on 27/8/2010 at 16:00

Typhoon damage in Ha Long Bay?

Posted by DandA on 26/8/2010 at 11:35

Hi all, We booked a tour with Ocean Tours which is supposed to be leaving tomorrow (27th Aug). I just recieved an email from OT telling us that they can no longer accommodate our tour due to typhoon damage on the island we are supposed to be staying at. So instead, they are trying to put us on a different tour that stays on the boat. Aside from it not being the tour we really wanted, the bigger question is if it is safe to do the trip so early after the typhoon. Couldnt find many news articl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,837 times, with no replies.

HCMC, PP and Sihanoukville in 8 days

Posted by mattocmd on 21/8/2010 at 05:01

Hello, I am going to be in HCMC for a few weeks. My friend is going to meet me here. I wanted him to have a few nights in HCMC, then head to Phnom Penh (2 nights) then Sihanoukville for like 2 or 3 nights. I guess the Mekong express would be good to get me from HCMC to PP. I heard there is a bus from Sihanoukville to HCMC but very long! Anyway, is it reasonable to cover all three destinations in 8 nights? Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,529 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 26/8/2010 at 10:14

HCMC to Siem Reap in 7 days

Posted by Camcam on 24/8/2010 at 18:49

Hi fellow backpackers! I will be travelling from HCMC to Siem Reap in September for one week on my own. I would like to do it the untourist way, trying to meet other backpackers along the way. I was thinking of the following itinerary: -1 night in HCM -1 night in Cao Lanh or Can Tho or Chau Doc -1 night on my way to Siem Reap -then 2 or 3 night in Siem Reap/Angkor Wat. What do you think? Would you add more of HCMC? I was said it is easy to meet people in SR hence the choice, but please s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,256 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 25/8/2010 at 20:03

Is this journey doable?

Posted by averydka99 on 19/8/2010 at 21:18

Hello Everyone, We will be arriving in Vietnam around Nov. 1st. We would like to spend some time at Phu Quoc Island, the Mekong Delta region, up to Nha Trang, then the Sapa region. We have the whole month of November to travel. Is this enough time? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,392 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 24/8/2010 at 01:39

Phu Quoc - Viet Thanh Resort

Posted by tantemucki on 28/10/2008 at 03:47

Hi there, anybody knows the email or telephone from the Viet Than Resort? Like to stay there over New Year and all places are already booked out :-( Thanx Angie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,785 times, with no replies.

HaNoi travel tips

Posted by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 15:08

Hello For those interested, here are two travel tips for HaNoi. - - - - - - Travel tip 1. There is a shuttle bus between HaNoi airport and the Old Quarter operated for Vietnam Airlines. The cost is 25000VN dong in early am/pm and 35,000VN dong during the middle of the day. A taxi will cost about 175,000VN dong for a one way trip. The Vietnam Airlines shuttle bus (a 15 seater Toyota van) picks up outside the Domestic terminal about every half hour. The bus leaves from outsid ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,014 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 20/8/2010 at 14:48

Vietnam Airlines for a long distance flight?

Posted by Hemsi on 12/8/2010 at 03:09

Hi everybody, after our last trip to Vietnam in May/June this year we're already into planning the next one Now, I found a very good offer for a non-stop return flight (Frankfurt-Saigon) with Vietnam Airlines. That's an 11,5-13h flight ... has anyone made any experience with this airline on long-distance flights? Would you recommend it in terms of safety/comfort/etc.? On our last trip we flew with Vietnam Airlines from Saigon to Nha Trang, that was absolutely ok ... but it was only a one hour ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,573 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by kptn82 on 20/8/2010 at 11:50

Ho chi minh city to Mekong Delta

Posted by pdro on 12/7/2010 at 05:56

I'm travelling to Cambodia on the end of september and after want to visit the Mekong delta. I heard that the easiest way to do that is getting a tour from saigon to there. Someone knows how much a 2 days tour would coasts in average ? how is the trip by bus from phnom phen to saigon? thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,959 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 18/8/2010 at 21:27

Rach Gia Tour Guide

Posted by nekigosu on 18/8/2010 at 12:44

I will be travelling to Rach Gia next month for a half leisure/half business trip. Does anyknow know who or where can i find a personal tour guide to bring us around in Rach Gia and other parts of Vietnam? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,904 times, with no replies.

Kampot -> Ha Tien + Phu Quoc ferry schedule

Posted by Mikko on 15/3/2010 at 22:25

Hi, we're thinking of doing the Kampot -> Kep -> Ha Tien -> ( Rach Gia ->) Phu Quoc trip later this week and I'd like to ask if someone has done this trip recently? How much should we expect to pay for motodop/tuktuk from Kampot - Kep and Kep - border/Ha Tien? From an earlier post I read that the last (only?) ferry from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc leaves at 13.00, does anyone know if this information is still up to date? If so, it would make it possible for us to do the whole trip i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,623 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by oasisbarhatien on 17/8/2010 at 12:01

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page