Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Vietnam in November 2010

Posted by Pobblebonk on 21/9/2010 at 16:43

Hi! How are you? We are two friends travelling to Vietnam in November - for my 30th birthday. We are just seeking advice from people who have recently been to Vietnam who can recommend certain this to us. I have been reading this forum quite a bit, and I have to say, I feel like just stalking brucemoon - I really like his posts! Hi brucemoon! LOL They are very informative and really, really, helpful. We're based in Australia, and I have the Lonely Planet guidebook, albeit it was published in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,977 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 22/9/2010 at 13:58

Hoi An or Nha Trang? Or HCMC?

Posted by scythemk on 18/9/2010 at 09:08

Hello everyone, I am currently planning a short journey into Vietnam during my SE Asia trip. My current itinerary is as follows: 11/27: Fly into Saigon at 11:50 11/28:Saigon 11/29: Fly to Hue (7:00-8:20), spend night in Hue. 11/30-12/1 - Take bus to Hoi An . Spend 2 nights in Hoi An. 12/2-12/5 - Flight from Da Nang to Ha Noi (6:05 - 7:15). 4 nights in Hanoi. Planning to spend two of these seeing Ha Long Bay and the last day to do some motorcycles tours in the Ha Noi area. I have an extra ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,618 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by violets on 22/9/2010 at 06:54

Best of Vietnam

Posted by dmoran on 21/9/2010 at 21:51

Looking for the best places in your opinion to visit in Vietnam. Our Timeframe 2.5 Weeks in early December 2010, so we are willing to cut out places that are a waste of time or that are a bit of a snooze fest... Situation: My friend and I, are two males (both single) in our mid 20's.... By the time we get to Vietnam, we will have travelled Thailand and Laos for the previous month. The plan is to fly from Vientiane to Hanoi and start Vietnam from there. We plan (subject to change from the i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,668 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 22/9/2010 at 01:16

2 weeks in Vietnam: itinerary and more

Posted by stefanya on 9/8/2010 at 06:52

Hi everyone! I'm planning my first trip to Vietnam next February and I'd like to do this kind of itinerary: Hanoi, the North (Lao Cai and Sapa), Halong Bay, Ninh Binh, Huè, Hoi Han, HCMC, Mekong Delta and maybe add a few days in Phu Quoc.Do u think it could be done in 2 weeks? (we'll do the sea only if we stay for 3 weeks). Also, I'm Italian, any idea on how can I rent a motorbike? I read international driving licences are not accepted there. Thanks!!! and apologize for my bad english! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,452 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Pobblebonk on 21/9/2010 at 16:58

Visiting Tay Ninh and Cu Chi Tunnel in one day?

Posted by cloud on 20/9/2010 at 08:51

I am planning a trip to the four countries in the southeast Asia. I want to visit the Cao Dai temple in Tay Ninh and see a prayer session, and also the Cu Chi Tunnel from Ho Chi Minh as a one-day trip. Judging from the distance and directions, that seems to be possible but I wonder what the reality is. Travlefish explains the trip to Tay Ninh by bus takes 2~3 hours. Then it makes the roundtrip 4~6 hours, and visiting the tunnel…seems very tight in time. My specific questions: 1) Is the visit ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,792 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by cloud on 20/9/2010 at 22:53

Train fare from Hanoi to Da Nang

Posted by plew10 on 5/6/2010 at 20:09

Anyone have current info on the train fare from Hanoi to Da Nang if I were to book at the station? (aircon soft sleeper). Just want to make sure my hotel is giving me a decent price. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,294 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by selinsay on 20/9/2010 at 21:33

2x Honda Bonuses for sale in Hanoi

Posted by reidarhagen on 20/9/2010 at 08:19

For sale: 2 x Honda Bonus 125cc motorbike. Reliable 4stroke motor (much more reliable than the 2stroke ancient Minsk!) Bike has been excellent and hasn't missed a beat. No repairs needed.Very capabable bike with a surprising amount of power for a 125cc.Easily heads up the mountains - took the mountains of Dalat by storm!Great for either one or two people, have seen a few people on theseriding double! Well maintained, oil checked daily and bike warmed up every morningbefore use. Bikes were mech ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,728 times, with no replies.

Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia itinirary help!

Posted by selinsay on 19/9/2010 at 12:07

Hello Everyone! we're a couple planning to visit Thailand Vietnam Cambodia for 16 days through the fallowing itiniray: Bangkok- 3 days (by flight) Hanoi+Halong Bay 3 days (by train ) DaNanag+Hoi An 3 days (by flight) HCMC+mekokng 3 days PP 1 day Siem Reap 2 days (by bus) Bangkok 1 day I know it's a rush but I can't decide from where I should take days off. Instead I try to find time for Dalat! I would really appreciate if you can comment on it with your valuable experience.. Thank you all v ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,759 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by selinsay on 19/9/2010 at 23:09

Vietnam Air Flies Can Tho to Phu Quoc?

Posted by heidisueelvus on 22/8/2010 at 04:53

Hi Everyone, I was just on Vietnam airlines' website and saw flights from Can Tho to Phu Quoc. This is the first I've heard of this. Has anyone done this flight? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,911 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by monteromano on 18/9/2010 at 10:40

30 year-old loan traveller - a fun but not too fun place to stay!

Posted by ruthabelle on 14/9/2010 at 02:28

Hi I'm a 30-year old female loan traveller. I've travelled a reasonable amount before but never on my own so I'm sort of nervous. I'd like to find a hostel in Hanoi where I can have a safe, nice, clean room on my own but where I can make friends over breakfast or in the bar. I'm fun but I don't think I could take happy-hour type fun in my first few days! I'd love a recommendation from a fellow semi-grown up. Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,881 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 16/9/2010 at 10:27

Mekong Cruise, HCMC to Phnom Penh anyone recommend?

Posted by suzienichols on 7/9/2010 at 04:08

I am planning a trip to vietnam/ Cambodia and have come across several companies on the internet that offer cruises along the Mekong and onward boat travel to Phnom Penh. There are several different options but something along the lines of pick up from hotel in HCMC, travel to a river boat, cruise around visiting local villages, cruise to the border, catch the ferry to PP would fit in with my current plans and be an interesting way to get from HCMC to PP. They usual take three days with a couple ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,871 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 16/9/2010 at 09:03

First time asia travellers

Posted by karljules on 29/3/2009 at 19:29

Hello, Myself (karl) and my partner (julie)plan to travel for two months later this year (dec/jan). We are on a budget, but hope to see parts of thailand (north), cambodia, laos and vietnam. our first idea is to fly into bangkok 1st dec from Heathrow, with a return flight from bangkok to Heathrow on the 29th Jan. We have found this option for £950 for us both. Is this a good price? And option? The plan is, the time in between to use buses, boats and trains to see these four countries. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,812 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by Danyelle on 13/9/2010 at 20:51

snorkleing

Posted by burkey on 10/6/2010 at 13:06

we are a couple of ol'budget minded travelers using snorkleing as our catlyst to travel, we spent a month in thailand a couple of years back and loved the snorkling on koh chang, we expect to go back there for a couple of weeks, but at this point we have a couple of months (mid jan to mid april)to spend in the area starting with landing in ho chi minh city and head out from there to what ever snorkleing adventures, we may find, we are open to changing our port of entry, (as we haven't booked yet ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,458 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 13/9/2010 at 10:26

Vietnam - Cambodia Itinerary

Posted by Rudolf on 10/9/2010 at 01:06

Perhaps someone knowledgeable would be kind enough to comment on the following. My thought is to go to Vietnam in January 2011 and then drop into Camodia during Tet in early February before returning after the holiday. The itinerary looks quite busy and is mostly driven by a wish to visit Camodia on the same trip. I could cut that bit out of course and linger elsewhere in Vietnam. Anyway Hanoi - 3 nights Night train to Hoi An Hoi An - 2 nights Flight to HCMC HCMC - 3 nights Travel to PP via C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,020 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 11/9/2010 at 09:40

Indochina Orbit: Halong Bay - Angkor Wat - Luang Prabang

Posted by Auscharm on 9/9/2010 at 16:41

My friend and I are going to visit Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia to see the world's heritage sites of Halong Bay, Angkor Wat and Luang Prabang. This is a trip around the orbit of Indochina. I'm from Vietnam, my girl friend from Thailand. Could you help us to customize the suitable trip to this wonderful region? Whether we need visa to Cambodia and Laos? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,402 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by eastwest on 10/9/2010 at 13:48

Group Accommodations Hanoi & HCMC

Posted by Jenzy on 31/8/2010 at 03:37

A few of my friends & I are travelling to Vietnam for a wedding. We're going to be in Hanoi for 4 days then down to Saigon for a few days. The group ranges from 2 (if my husband & I are on our own) to up to 10 possibly on some nights. I've been researching rental houses/villa's but can't find much (I found one in Saigon but it's booked). Do they just not exist in Vietnam? Any suggestions for accommodations ideal for groups in either Hanoi or Ho Chi Man City? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,411 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 6/9/2010 at 14:38

Vietnam #2 for Solo Travelers

Posted by daawgon on 4/9/2010 at 00:37

Best Countries for Solo Travelers (Travel & Leisure Magazine) No. 2: Vietnam Happiness Ranking: 5 Safety Ranking: 38 What a difference a generation or two makes. This former war-torn country is now routinely cited for both the friendliness and the forgiving nature of its people, especially toward Americans. The national trait is clearly optimism. Hook up with an outfitter to take a bike trip in a countryside of thick jungle and undulating coastline. Become a beach bum and spend a week beac ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,841 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 4/9/2010 at 11:19

Beach Recommendation from HCMC

Posted by sic8vita8est on 11/8/2010 at 22:54

Hi all, We are going to be coming into HCMC and doing a bit of traveling in Southern Vietnam before moving on to Cambodia. We'd like to do at least 1 short trip (couple of days) to a beach, but can't figure out or decide what would be best. Any recommendations? And how much travel time can we count on to get there? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,792 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 3/9/2010 at 15:00

Going Fansipan Trekking 13 Nov to 21 Nov 2010, need help!

Posted by SKYWalkersSG on 2/9/2010 at 11:03

Hi all, We are a group of 20 experienced hikers from Singapore (been to Mt. Kinabalu, Mt. Rinjani). we want to trek Mt. Fansipan, and our air tickets are booked. We intend to do this: 13 Nov (Sat) - Arrive in Ha Noi, go to Ha Noi railway station, board train to Lao Cai 14 Nov (Sun) - Arrive in Lao Cai, go to Bac Ha Sunday market, look around After that, proceed to Sa Pa, stay overnight. 15 Nov (Mon) - Start Fansipan Trekking 16 Nov (Tue) - Fansipan Trekking 17 Nov (Wed) - finish trekking, g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,884 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 3/9/2010 at 09:46

Professional photo shop in HCMC?

Posted by ingridmj on 31/8/2010 at 01:42

Hi I'm a photographer and I'm going to Vietnam for 3 months. I really need to have my camera cleaned, but I won't have the time do get it done before I leave, because I need it for some shoots... Does anyone know of a place in HCMC (or perhaps Hanoi, I'm going there later) where I can deliver my camera and get it cleaned by professionals? It's a Nikon... All tips are very much appreciated Ingrid ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,367 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ingridmj on 31/8/2010 at 22:59

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page