Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Prek Chak/Xaxia (‘Ha Tien’) border crossing and E-visa

Posted by Pjotra on 22/7/2010 at 23:40

Hi there! Although I am sure you can cross these days at this borderxing, coming from Phu Quoc, it is not clear if one can pass on the famous Cambodian E-visa, obtainable through the net.(see the last canbypublications.com on the subject)Does anyone have experience with passing with an E-visa on this crossing? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,017 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by oasisbarhatien on 12/8/2010 at 20:48

Do you think I should open a hotel in such place?

Posted by dha6892 on 10/8/2010 at 03:28

Hello, I’m a Vietnamese student and I am going to study in Canada soon. My family has a house in the old quarter. Since I’m going and there will be just the two of my parents, they are going to move to an apartment. We may rent the house but some friends advised us to use the house to open a small hotel. I think it’s a great opportunity because…well… I just love the place I live. It’s in the old quarter. Now there is a temporary outdoor fruit market in front of the house. It can be a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,589 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 10/8/2010 at 22:49

Choices of different kinds of tours, feedback please

Posted by TennisHaus on 3/8/2010 at 12:31

We are heading to Vietnam in two days, and I dont know which tours I want to do. 1. We will do the Halong Bay tour with Vega travel. 2days here. 2. What do people think of the Mai-Chau 1day excursion, (we cannot go to Sapa, because of time)? 3. Does anyone have feedback on the Pafume Pagoda tour? 4. Day 4 explore Ha Noi. Should we cut one of these out, because it is shite. We will then head to HCMC city for two days. 1. Mekong Delta-1 day trip 2. HCMC day exploring the city. Is Mekong Delta wor ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,211 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 10/8/2010 at 09:10

Travel partner in November in Vietnam

Posted by queanbeyan on 8/8/2010 at 10:12

Hi I plan to travel to VN arriving in HM on 1 November making my way to Hanoi then to Sapa then to DBP then cross in Laos and go from Udom Xai to Luang NamTha to Muang Sing then to Huay Xai then Chiang Rai - I have around 6 weeks and know the north of Laos and North of Thaiand fairly well. I am proficient in Lao and Thai lanugage but only just learning vietnamese. Is the border open at DBP? Do I need a prepaid visa? If you are thinking of travelling in a similar way at this time let m ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,499 times, with no replies.

HCM Vietnam on 28.9.2010-1.10.2010

Posted by Barracuda on 5/8/2010 at 20:20

Hi, Im will b in HCM on these date. My question is do we need to get a visa to enter vietnam or there is VOA. Where is the best place to stay. Im looking for budget hotel and what are the must see place in HCM Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,270 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Vietnam720 on 7/8/2010 at 07:30

2 Minsk for sale in Hanoi - Good price!

Posted by drizzlmanizzl on 5/8/2010 at 11:54

Hello, We`re 2 students from Belgium who were persuaded to drive from Ho Chi Minh city to Hanoi. We had no driving experience and know nothing of motorbike mechanics. Luckily these two bikes took us here without any trouble. pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/112626382713112063791/201007A0?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_q9aCN94wf&feat=directlink If you`re interested: driesopsomer@gmail.com +32 495 44 22 63 (only texting works) Vietfun hotel reception (Ngo Huyen str 1) The black one has new paintjo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,478 times, with no replies.

2 Minsk for sale in Hanoi - Good price!!!

Posted by drizzlmanizzl on 5/8/2010 at 11:46

Hello, We`re 2 students from Belgium who bought these Minsks in Ho Chi Minh city. We had no driving experience, and the two bikes took us from there to Hanoi in 7 days without problems. Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/112626382713112063791/201007A0?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_q9aCN94wf&feat=directlink ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,195 times, with no replies.

Vietnam and Thailand in 3 weeks

Posted by KJB29 on 4/8/2010 at 01:55

My girl and I have 3 weeks in December to visit Thailand and Vietnam. I have been to Thailand before (Chan Mai, Phi Phi, Koh Samui, Railay Beach etc) but this will be hers and my first time to Vietnam. Can anyone give me some advice as what not to miss in Vietnam and Thailand (for her sake). The time is really not enough, but if anyone has any pointers and can offer up and suggestions it would be greatly welcomed. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,506 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 4/8/2010 at 21:17

9D8N Vietnam, too many things, too little time & money?

Posted by DomesticG on 2/8/2010 at 13:00

Hi all, my first post on Travel fish! Been a silent reader for a long time... Am currently planning my year end trip to Vietnam and I would really need some help... I am planning to depart from Singapore to Vietnam on Christmas day 25 Dec and return to Singapore on 2 Jan. My plan are as follows; 25/12: HCMC 26/12 & 27/12: Hue 28/12: Hoi An 29/12 - 31/12: Nha Trang (Confirmed: Take up diving courses) 1/1: Mui Ne (Confirmed: For the sand dunes) 2/1: HCMC back to SIN Also, I have a ver ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,809 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by violets on 4/8/2010 at 13:57

5 am wake up with loud propaganda announcements

Posted by Pablot on 25/7/2010 at 06:45

If you are in smaller towns & villages across VN one of the most annoying things for tourists is the 5 am wake up to loud Communist Party propaganda complete with music, etc.! this can go on for at least 1 hour! cities do not seem to suffer the same mistreatment. China stopped doing this about 30 years ago! There are almost no public annoucements in English for disasters such as flooding, etc. So if you are travelling and you hear what appears to be a public annoucement outside of the 5 a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,386 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by violets on 3/8/2010 at 09:22

Hoi An vs Hanoi -- Which is "child friendly"?

Posted by placeshifter on 28/7/2010 at 21:14

We have a 3 year old who loves to run around outside all day, all night, esp. in grassy environments. Which would be a better place for a family to spent a few weeks in, Hoi An or Hanoi? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,269 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by violets on 3/8/2010 at 09:04

Motorbiking from Hanoi to the south? Company?

Posted by mckayb on 31/7/2010 at 16:24

Hey guys, I just bought myself a Honda Dream in Hanoi . I am planning to go as far south as I can. If anyone in Hanoi is planning on doing the same thing in the next few days you can join me. I am planning on staying away from HHighway 1 as much as possible and am taking Ho Chi Minh Trail...I actually am following the route recommednded here on TF in the motorbiking forum. Looking forward to the ride down Cheers, Ben M. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,662 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by mckayb on 2/8/2010 at 18:15

5 weeks in Oct Vietnam and Cambodia**

Posted by SarahIre on 30/7/2010 at 07:52

Ok so that didn't work out too well above. Anyways this is my very first time posting to a site like this or at all ha so bear with me pls. Myself and my boyfriend are leaving Australia mid Oct - though we are Irish and are planning to travel around Vietnam/Cambodia for 5 weeks (our return flight to Ire is November 17th). I have come across this website and am really impressed, it is making me 2nd think buying the LP book SE Asia on a Shoestring cos if I can get all the info here for free why no ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,858 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Nokka on 30/7/2010 at 17:35

3 week Vietnam\ cambodia itineray?? help

Posted by seaolon1 on 29/7/2010 at 21:36

Help and suggestions needed for with 3 week Vietnam cambodia itineray. Myself and girlfriend are heading in a few weeks. Is this stretched, should i leave out one place to spend more time elsewhere Tues - Arrive Hanoi Wed - Hanoi Thurs - Head to Halong bay spent one night on Boat Fri - Back in Hanoi Sat - Fly to Hue arrive 13:45 (or get train previous night) Sun - Hue Mon - Train to Hoi An Tues - Hoi An Wed - Hoi An Thurs - Fly to Nha Trang (or get train previous night) Fri - Nha Trang S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,763 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 30/7/2010 at 02:01

Ocean Travel - Dishonest Travel Agent in Hanoi (Recommended by Lonely Planet)

Posted by CakeFace on 1/5/2009 at 13:30

This is a bit of a long story but I think it needs to be told so that people aren't ripped off or treated badly by Ocean Tours in Hanoi . Ocean Tours are recommended in the 2007 edition of Lonely Planet Vietnam but the experience I had with them makes me strongly believe that they should be removed from future editions. My girlfriend and I spent a morning of 27 April 2009 going round various travel agencies in Hanoi's old quarter in order to get some different prices for a trip to Halong Bay ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,488 times, with 24 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 29/7/2010 at 11:22

Nice swimming pool in Hanoi

Posted by shaydan_01 on 27/7/2010 at 16:05

Bit late I know, but thought it worth a try anyway. It's my boyfriends birthday tomorrow and I would like to take him to a fancy hotel to use the swimming pool for a couple of hours if the weather is nice. I'm not sure if all big hotels will let outsiders pay to use the pool and I sort of want to plan where we're going before we go there. Any recommendations would be lovely, and any other ideas are welcome too of course, open to all random suggestions for birthday fun! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,629 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by shaydan_01 on 29/7/2010 at 11:14

Passport pages added in Hanoi

Posted by TennisHaus on 27/7/2010 at 08:14

Can I get passport pages added in Hanoi . I have one blenk page for the Vietnam visa and stamps. I do not have room for the Cambodian visa and stamps plus the Thailand stamps. Does US embassy in Hanoi add passport pages? Has anyone gotten their passport filled at this embassy? TIA ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,208 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rawjer on 27/7/2010 at 14:10

Bus company to aviod

Posted by mikethediver on 27/7/2010 at 12:16

Hi, Just a little warning about a bus company called 'AN PHU TOURIST' part of the 'open bus' system. We got this bus from Mui Ne to Dalat and it falls way below acceptable: *Non functioning air con *2 seats broken free from the floor which was very dangerous!! *Insufficent roon for luggage in the 'hold', so bags were piled in the isle which the bus driver & his several friends trod on, sat on & slept on!! (I did complain & moved my bag, which blocked the isle even more!) *All the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,637 times, with no replies.

Travel in September October

Posted by timmy2legs on 26/7/2010 at 18:40

I'll be in SE Asia, during September and October during this time I hope to do a month in Vietnam. I realise it is the wet season, and I know the variations along the length of the country. Most things tend to say rain will be only in short intense showers, is this right? From what I can make out, the weather in the north shouldn't be too bad? Would there be potential flooding in the Mekong delta? Are there anythings that the wet season makes difficult to do? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,047 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 27/7/2010 at 12:16

Vietnam Virgins

Posted by roopd on 16/7/2010 at 12:31

Hi all, My husband and I planning a two week trip through SE Asia. We are flying into HCMC form Hongkong on the 28th of July and leaving on the 3rd of Aug. Ideally we would love to be able to bike our way up to Hanoi but we know that is not going to be possible in the time we have there. One of our main reasons for going to Vietnam is the food. We do not necessarily do the more touristy things like going to museums and stuff but prefer to step off the beaten path and get to know the people an ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,230 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 26/7/2010 at 23:11

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page