Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Teaching english in Vietnam

Posted by JackHammer on 11/6/2010 at 10:21

Hey fellow travelers. I'm arriving in Hanoi in October for my TESOL course. I finish on the 31st October and i will have a Certificate IV. I'm Interested in getting some permanent work for at least 6 months. Any advice or know of organization looking for work or websites which you can let me know about to contact? Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,214 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by abc on 21/6/2010 at 16:54

Best South Vietnam beach?

Posted by torilou on 14/6/2010 at 04:26

So, I've been researching beach resorts in Vietnam - Nha Trang, Mui Ne etc, and keep coming up with conflicting advice with regards to which would be the best to visit. My boyfriend and I will be in Vietnam for around 2 weeks and are planning on starting in Ho Chi Minh, then to Dalat, a beach resort, back to Ho Chi Minh then on to the Mekong. Any advice with regards to the beaches? I'd prefer something small and not overly touristy but still with a 'buzz'. If such a place exists! Tori ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 12,139 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by abc on 21/6/2010 at 16:47

Free tourist visas August & September 2010

Posted by Pablot on 17/6/2010 at 07:04

"Vietnam Discovery" Magazine June 2010 page 12 reports free tourist visas for August & September. Double check with VN embassy in your country. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,589 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by manooe on 17/6/2010 at 13:20

Accommodation in Ho Chi Minh

Posted by natalie0001 on 3/7/2008 at 09:51

I'm currently planning a trip to Vietnam and have so far managed to find some great places to stay for a good price in most places we're visiting. However, I'm finding Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi a bit more troublesome! Can anyone recommend some good, clean hotels they've stayed at recently, (2-3 stars up to about $55-$60US a night - less if possible) with a good, quiet location and a bit of character. (I've looked at places like the Continental and the Grand in Ho Chi Minh but these might be a bit ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,629 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 16/6/2010 at 00:52

First Day in Vietnam

Posted by Babalugats on 17/5/2010 at 19:00

I'll arrive in Ho Chi Minh past the midnight of June 10. Then I'll wait for the first morning flight to Da Nang . It will be my first time to visit Vietnam, so I like to know if it's advisable to exchange all of my US dollars (for Vietnamese dong) at the Ho Chi Minh International Airport. Another thing is if anyone knows the regular taxi fare from Da Nang airport to the bus station (heading to Hoi An). I don't want to be clueless on this. I'll be thankful to your replies. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,139 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Babalugats on 15/6/2010 at 12:08

The best overland Vietnam 2 week itinerary!

Posted by torilou on 6/6/2010 at 22:56

My boyfriend and I are travelling around Cambodia and Vietnam, flying in and out of Bangkok, and need to make the most of our 6 weeks out there. We are looking to find the best OVERLAND itinerary for Vietnam. We have a few days leeway here and there, so could spend more than 2 weeks, but I am worried about how long it'll take for us to travel back over to Bangkok. We can't decide where to visit for the best, nor which border crossings to use to use our time wisely. Any advice would be fantasti ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,365 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by TomMcMillan on 15/6/2010 at 01:23

Ferry to Phu Quoc

Posted by plew10 on 10/6/2010 at 18:03

Looking to get to Phu Quoc in a few weeks and the flights are pretty pricey. Does anyone know anything about the reliability of ferries from Rach Gia during the wet season? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,075 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by LePub on 14/6/2010 at 10:57

my Halong Bay research - prices, sizes etc - will you help me choose?

Posted by noakess on 12/6/2010 at 15:23

Hi, done lots of research on Halong Bay for 2 day tour in november. Hope it will help fellow travellers. Contacted 3 companies I found on Travelfish via their own websites. - all replied within 24 hours, all 3 companies own their own junks and inc similar meals, kayaking etc. Pinta Cruiser is cheaper than the rest - but not really sure why - would love to hear recent reviews on any of the tours below, Pinta cruiser (Columbus adventures), 8 cabins $85 Dragon' s Pearl junk (Tropical Sails), ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,157 times, with no replies.

Postage within Vietnam

Posted by BanhMi on 24/5/2010 at 09:38

I'll be coming down from Hanoi to Hoi An where I will have a suit tailored but would rather not carry it with me through the Mekong Delta, Cambodia, Laos, etc. Slow shipping it home is out of the question since I need it for a wedding, and I'd rather not pay the high cost of sending it home quickly. I was considering the option of mailing it back to a hotel in Hanoi where I could pick it up before my return flight. Fed ex apparently wont ship within Vietnam. What are my other mailing opt ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,071 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by violets on 11/6/2010 at 20:18

Learning the language

Posted by UsTwo on 11/5/2010 at 13:59

Has anybody spent the time to learn Vietnamese - the full language, rather than just a few phrases? If so, what method did you use? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,494 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 10/6/2010 at 11:15

How to Record my Journey Video on Tour Bus?

Posted by Alexan on 2/6/2010 at 12:34

Back from bus tour. I like that tour get me to all of the must–see places and have everything taken care of me although I like the ability to make my own schedule as I go. Here I want burn the JVC Everio GZ-HD300 Camcorder MOD videos into a DVD. Curious what others think or can you recommend some easy to use program? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 978 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Alexan on 7/6/2010 at 15:56

Halong Bay for the independent minded traveler?

Posted by lettezilla on 24/5/2010 at 01:02

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the site, but have found it really helpful while planning my first trip to Vietnam. My husband and I are planning a Hanoi to HCMC trip lasting just over 2 weeks this July. Plans are coming together, except the whole Halong Bay thing. I read the extremely helpful article here that suggested doing it ourselves, which is the way I'm inclined. We're both introverted and the idea of forced socializing over dinner on a boat sounds kind of like torture to me! (my loss, I k ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,756 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by goldenlight on 7/6/2010 at 10:02

A question on heritage and museums...

Posted by starfish on 3/6/2010 at 20:59

Hi guys! Ok, I am traveling around the area for 3 months this summer, but now have been told by uni I have to come back in September with dissertation research and so hey ho, I going to do it when I am there. I am trying to focus on houses/homes that have either been kept in their original state or have colonial architecture and heritage museums throughout the country. So far (and with the help of all the guides!) I have decided to focus on Bao Dai's Summer Palace and one in Hoi An Ancient ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 974 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 7/6/2010 at 09:40

About ATM in Bac Ha

Posted by Bon2008 on 6/2/2010 at 16:05

There were many travelers who come to Bac Ha with the Credit cards, but there was not any ATM in Bac Ha. So travelers should take care about cash when come to Bac Ha. The only bank in Bac Ha (Agribank) will have an ATM in May 2010. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,863 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 7/6/2010 at 09:15

Storing Luggage Options

Posted by dmaniel_2000 on 26/5/2010 at 18:58

Hi, I'm coming to Hanoi via Madrid, and I'm planning on being in Vietnam for a few weeks before finally going home to the USA. I wasn't planning on going to SEA when I first came to Spain, so I have a large suitcase that I will be taking with me. What are my storage options while I travel around the country? I don't want to lug my suitcase around with me. Someone told me some hotels will hold onto my bag for me. Is this a legit option? Which hotels? Thank you for your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,886 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by dmaniel_2000 on 6/6/2010 at 01:44

Minsk for sale in Dalat

Posted by JimmyCao on 4/6/2010 at 16:12

Very good condition Minsk for sale. Strong 125cc motor. I drove it down from Saigon to Vung Tao and Mui Ne and must sell in Dalat. No problems on my trip and would have like to take it further north but ran out of time.. Looking for 400US obo.. Will be in Dalat June 5 to 8th. Email for pics.. Cao.Jimmy@gmail.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,536 times, with no replies.

Halong Bay Experience from ATT Vietnam Travel

Posted by maoliveros on 4/6/2010 at 13:44

Has anyone tried this travel agent for a Halong Bay package tour? We're planning to get their Halong Bay Cruise plus Cat Ba Island 3Days using Imperial Junk Boat for USD85/person. Is this worth the price? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,324 times, with no replies.

tattoos vietnam

Posted by thephilippinestraveler on 3/6/2010 at 21:05

looking to find a place in vietnam were buddhist monks give tattoos to foreigners or is thailand the only place that offers this ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,668 times, with no replies.

Motor biking from Saigon to Hanoi

Posted by wayr02 on 3/6/2010 at 05:11

I would love to do this trip and have plenty of time so could take it slowly. Any advice on the journey and what are the must sees along the way or any detours? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,811 times, with no replies.

beach front hotels

Posted by bfrattini on 2/6/2010 at 10:08

I'm looking for the best beach front hotels or resorts in Danang. I've found Sandy Beach resort which seams reasonable but I'm looking for other suggestions. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,479 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by KazAussie on 2/6/2010 at 14:39

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page