Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

How do I book a train from Hoi An to Dalat

Posted by Lora on 11/5/2010 at 21:03

Hi, does anyone know how I would book a train to get to Dalat from hoi Ann? Do I have to go to Nah Trang first then bus? If so, is the only way to book a train by going to Danang? I checked with a travel agent in Hoi Ann and they said they could book the train at a cost of $30, which sounds high to me. Is there a Sinh Cafe in hoi Anne? Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks kindly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,702 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 14/5/2010 at 00:36

VOA VOA VOA VOA

Posted by AlexBCN on 11/5/2010 at 00:07

Hi, I am planning to fly into Hanoi from Luang Prabang in july, and I have seen that it is possible to get a Visa On Arrival (VOA) for Vietnam. I am not sure when I'll be flying into Vietnam exactly as I might buy the tickets just few days in adavance. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a VOA arranged? Has anyone anyone who can have 2 arranged for my with just a couple of days notice? Or is there any agency in Luang Prabang doing this? On the other hand, is it possible to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,362 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 12/5/2010 at 10:17

Ho Chi Minh vs. Bangkok

Posted by LGR_2010 on 13/4/2010 at 14:08

I'm spending about 3 days in HCMC and about 3 in Bangkok in early Sept. Is there anything in HCMC that's not in Bangkok? never been to either and i'm starting to think the sites are similiar. Too similiar - temples, great markets, food. Hope someone can convince me! So I can also tell my travel mates (who are more looking forward to the Bangkok part the the HCMC part - it was really my idea to go to HCMC vs. going straight to Bangkok and staying there longer - esp. since the beaches are be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,805 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by LGR_2010 on 12/5/2010 at 06:54

Best way to get from Hoi An to HCMC??

Posted by antoinetiux on 8/5/2010 at 12:23

I am visiting Vietnam north to south so I will be getting to Hue before heading to Hoi An. After that I would like to go to HCMC but I am not sure what is the best way to get there. Help is much appreciated. Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,765 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 11/5/2010 at 15:01

Vietnam in Late October to Early Novemeber - best places?

Posted by LindaLovelace on 29/4/2010 at 12:37

Hi All, I need some help! I've been trawling through all the wonderful info on this site on Vietnam but now cannot make up my mind where to go/what to do. I will be in Vietnam from 26th Octber til the 9th November. Flying in and out of HCMC. From what I can understand this is relatively good weather for HCMC and Hanoi. I really wanted to go to Hoi An/Danang area and a beach destination like Nha Trang or even Mui Ne - but apparently this is the worst time of year weather wise?? Is it s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,236 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 11/5/2010 at 15:00

Minsk for sale in Ho Chi Minh

Posted by maxmccabe on 11/5/2010 at 13:30

Minsk for sale in saigon, great condition..just ridden down from Hanoi. Comes with maps, and a real motorbike helmet 350$ please contact me at maxmccabe@gmail.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,409 times, with no replies.

New book just published 'Vietnam: rising dragon'

Posted by billhayton on 8/5/2010 at 07:57

Excuse the plug but Travelfish readers headed to Vietnam might be interested in my new book about the country. It's called 'Vietnam: rising dragon' and it's the result of the year I spent reporting the country for the BBC plus a couple of years of further research. It tries to answer most of the questions I had about the country - what's driving the changes in daily life? who runs Vietnam and how? how is the environment coping with economic development etc etc. You can find it in Englis ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,465 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by HuyAnh on 8/5/2010 at 16:45

See Things Before Traveling To Vietnam

Posted by hai00 on 8/5/2010 at 11:09

Overview Climate Sourced By; Hanoi Peace Tour Vietnam is located in both a tropical and a temperate zone. It is characterized by strong monsoon influences, but has a considerable amount of sun, a high rate of rainfall, and high humidity. Regions located near the tropics and in the mountainous regions are endowed with a temperate climate. The monsoon climate also influences to the changes of the tropical humidity. In general, in Vietnam there are two seasons, the cold season occurs from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,733 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by caseyprich on 8/5/2010 at 11:19

Road from Nha Trang to Dalat

Posted by mlr on 11/8/2009 at 13:25

Hey! I have been noticing from a few posts on this website that there seems to be a new, shorter road connecting Nha Trang and Dalat now, is this the case and if so how long does it now take by bus? We were planning on going to Dalat from Nha Trang by bus and then flying to HCMC from there. I have also heard alot of mixed opinions about Dalat, is it worth visiting or should we just add on a few extra nights somewhere else instead & fly straight from Nha Trang to HCMC? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,359 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by jonbone on 5/5/2010 at 09:03

Solo 24(m) Halong Cruise for either 1 night-2 day or 2 night-3 day

Posted by DarylTravel on 4/5/2010 at 10:27

I am 24, traveling through SE Asia by myself for a few weeks. While I dont necessarily need to fanciest cruse I also dont want rats, bugs, etc. as I have read can sometimes happen on these boats. Does anyone have a suggestion about a good boat/company for someone my age? Also, I dont have a set schedule of when I will be in Halong/Hanoi so I cant really book too far in advance, will this be a big problem? Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,967 times, with no replies.

2 Week Itinerary of Vietnam Top to Tail

Posted by hanes on 28/4/2010 at 13:09

Hey guys, i'm planning to head down up to vietnam from singapore in january 2011 for around 10 days to 2 weeks with 3 other frends. Seen some great rough itineraries around the site such as this: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/vietnam-hanoi-to-saigon Just want to get feedback on places to check out and miss. So basically we wanna work our way down sticking somewhat closely to the itinerary. Was considering making a detour up to Sapa when in hanoi. And another one to the delta and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,173 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by LaureneCao on 3/5/2010 at 10:18

Dalat travel buddy wanted - maybe easy rider tour?

Posted by themildcat on 26/4/2010 at 19:39

Hiya I'm an aussie girl (29) travelling solo and just hit Da Lat, wondering if anyone likeminded (and not a massive goober - moderate goober ok) would be interested in pairing up for adventure. Let me know! themildcat@gmail.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,901 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chickymonkey on 2/5/2010 at 09:27

The best way to get to Bangkok From Ho Chi Minh

Posted by mrnice88 on 22/4/2010 at 17:25

Hello What are peoples experiences at getting from Ho Chi Minh city to Bangkok. Anyone have a preferred route. Trying to save some time and money (aren't we all!)as I only have limited time and funds. Much Love ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,698 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by UsTwo on 1/5/2010 at 07:22

How To See Wild Elephants

Posted by Sonnyway on 29/4/2010 at 02:52

My sons are very determined to see wild elephants while we are in Vietnam. I now there are some in Cat Tien National Park but other than that I'm at a loss. Does anyone now of any tours, whether it be bicycle or walking, where we will be sure to see some elephants? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,004 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by potkin on 30/4/2010 at 21:20

Skip Central Vietnam...

Posted by AlexBCN on 28/4/2010 at 16:54

Hi, I am planning to stay around three weeks in Vietnam next July-August. I start my journey in Hanoi, and want to go to Sapa and Halong Bay (10 days). Then take the overnight train to Hue and see Hoi An (4 days), I want then to spend some time in Saigon and see the Cu chi Tunels and the Mekong Delta (6 days). I am not sure whether to fly from Hoi An (Dalang) to Saigon, or do this leg overland. Do you have any suggestion on land routes? And if so, how long would it take? Is i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,128 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 30/4/2010 at 21:00

Midnight Buses to Da Lat

Posted by jacqkellie on 30/4/2010 at 16:59

Hi! We'll be arriving in Ho Chi Minh City at around 1:00am. Since we've been to HCMC several times before, we'd like to get a move on as soon as possible. To save time, I was wondering if there are any night buses on to Da Lat at this hour? For that matter, how do we purchase the bus tickets, and where in HCMC is the station? Thank you! :) Kelly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,722 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 30/4/2010 at 18:27

Kampot/Kep to Phu Quoc - ferry?

Posted by GeorgeScott on 30/4/2010 at 15:23

Hi all, I've read both on both Travelfish and in the latest Lonely Planet guide that a Kampot/Kep to Phu Quoc ferry could be in the offing? Does anyone know if it's happened yet? Thanks, George ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,718 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 30/4/2010 at 18:25

is a transit Visa possible??

Posted by jerkface on 28/4/2010 at 12:04

I'll just be in Vietnam for 3 days for my brother's engagement. Is it possible to arrange a trip with a 3 day transit visa?? It seems like such a waste to pay for a full tourist visa. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,003 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 30/4/2010 at 00:07

DaLat to Pleiku

Posted by UsTwo on 22/4/2010 at 11:05

Trying to locate the inland route using Google maps, but there appears to be a few "dead ends" along the way. Has anybody done this section? Thanks for any help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,383 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by violets on 28/4/2010 at 21:02

Hanoi to HK ... in 19 Days

Posted by anotherlostsoul on 27/4/2010 at 13:59

I will be flying into Hanoi on 15th May and out of Hong Kong on 04th June which gives me 19 full days to explore the bits inbetween (public transport / budget hotels). What I am looking for from those who know the area, is advice on how to structure this journey; i.e. how many days where, and in which order? I appreciate this is just not enough time to explore all the region's attractions thoroughly, and getting from A to B will take time. I've narrowed things down and, if possible, I would li ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,143 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 28/4/2010 at 19:26

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page