Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Learning the language

Posted by UsTwo on 11/5/2010 at 13:59

Has anybody spent the time to learn Vietnamese - the full language, rather than just a few phrases? If so, what method did you use? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,509 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 10/6/2010 at 11:15

How to Record my Journey Video on Tour Bus?

Posted by Alexan on 2/6/2010 at 12:34

Back from bus tour. I like that tour get me to all of the must–see places and have everything taken care of me although I like the ability to make my own schedule as I go. Here I want burn the JVC Everio GZ-HD300 Camcorder MOD videos into a DVD. Curious what others think or can you recommend some easy to use program? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 991 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Alexan on 7/6/2010 at 15:56

Halong Bay for the independent minded traveler?

Posted by lettezilla on 24/5/2010 at 01:02

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the site, but have found it really helpful while planning my first trip to Vietnam. My husband and I are planning a Hanoi to HCMC trip lasting just over 2 weeks this July. Plans are coming together, except the whole Halong Bay thing. I read the extremely helpful article here that suggested doing it ourselves, which is the way I'm inclined. We're both introverted and the idea of forced socializing over dinner on a boat sounds kind of like torture to me! (my loss, I k ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,787 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by goldenlight on 7/6/2010 at 10:02

A question on heritage and museums...

Posted by starfish on 3/6/2010 at 20:59

Hi guys! Ok, I am traveling around the area for 3 months this summer, but now have been told by uni I have to come back in September with dissertation research and so hey ho, I going to do it when I am there. I am trying to focus on houses/homes that have either been kept in their original state or have colonial architecture and heritage museums throughout the country. So far (and with the help of all the guides!) I have decided to focus on Bao Dai's Summer Palace and one in Hoi An Ancient ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 984 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 7/6/2010 at 09:40

About ATM in Bac Ha

Posted by Bon2008 on 6/2/2010 at 16:05

There were many travelers who come to Bac Ha with the Credit cards, but there was not any ATM in Bac Ha. So travelers should take care about cash when come to Bac Ha. The only bank in Bac Ha (Agribank) will have an ATM in May 2010. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,900 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 7/6/2010 at 09:15

Storing Luggage Options

Posted by dmaniel_2000 on 26/5/2010 at 18:58

Hi, I'm coming to Hanoi via Madrid, and I'm planning on being in Vietnam for a few weeks before finally going home to the USA. I wasn't planning on going to SEA when I first came to Spain, so I have a large suitcase that I will be taking with me. What are my storage options while I travel around the country? I don't want to lug my suitcase around with me. Someone told me some hotels will hold onto my bag for me. Is this a legit option? Which hotels? Thank you for your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,913 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by dmaniel_2000 on 6/6/2010 at 01:44

Minsk for sale in Dalat

Posted by JimmyCao on 4/6/2010 at 16:12

Very good condition Minsk for sale. Strong 125cc motor. I drove it down from Saigon to Vung Tao and Mui Ne and must sell in Dalat. No problems on my trip and would have like to take it further north but ran out of time.. Looking for 400US obo.. Will be in Dalat June 5 to 8th. Email for pics.. Cao.Jimmy@gmail.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,550 times, with no replies.

Halong Bay Experience from ATT Vietnam Travel

Posted by maoliveros on 4/6/2010 at 13:44

Has anyone tried this travel agent for a Halong Bay package tour? We're planning to get their Halong Bay Cruise plus Cat Ba Island 3Days using Imperial Junk Boat for USD85/person. Is this worth the price? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,340 times, with no replies.

tattoos vietnam

Posted by thephilippinestraveler on 3/6/2010 at 21:05

looking to find a place in vietnam were buddhist monks give tattoos to foreigners or is thailand the only place that offers this ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,687 times, with no replies.

Motor biking from Saigon to Hanoi

Posted by wayr02 on 3/6/2010 at 05:11

I would love to do this trip and have plenty of time so could take it slowly. Any advice on the journey and what are the must sees along the way or any detours? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,827 times, with no replies.

beach front hotels

Posted by bfrattini on 2/6/2010 at 10:08

I'm looking for the best beach front hotels or resorts in Danang. I've found Sandy Beach resort which seams reasonable but I'm looking for other suggestions. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,493 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by KazAussie on 2/6/2010 at 14:39

tung trang/ guesthouse terminology question

Posted by hfergu on 27/5/2010 at 20:52

Hello, I'm in the process of booking a room at the Tung Trang guesthouse, and since I can't find the info I'm looking for on their website I thought I'd ask here. The guesthouse offers single, double and triple rooms. I'm going with my boyfriend and we'd like to have a double bed (or two single beds). I was originally thinking that we should go for the double room with the impression that it would have a double bed. But now I'm thinking that the single room might be enough to comfortably fit t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,599 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by hfergu on 31/5/2010 at 19:23

Massage schools in Vietnam

Posted by leomburu on 22/5/2010 at 12:51

Hi, I was planning on going to a massage school in Chiang Mai, but with all the trouble, I will probably be avoiding bangkok and the north of Thailand. Are there any massage schools in Vietnam (or even Cambodia or Laos)? Many thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,973 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Vxh on 31/5/2010 at 19:16

saigoncafe?

Posted by narfie on 20/5/2010 at 06:30

Hello, Has anyone booked a Halong bay tour with Saigon Cafe? (www.saigoncafetravel.com/) I'm hoping this is the company that Travelfish used in the mid-range Halong Bay tour feature. I'm curious to see what their "3-star deluxe junk" looked like. I'm heading to Hanoi in mid-July and am looking for a 2d/1n HLB cruise for around $85. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 977 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Vxh on 31/5/2010 at 18:25

Vietnam & Burma 6 weeks - advice please

Posted by noakess on 30/5/2010 at 05:35

Hi, I had a 3 months plan for SE Asia - but can now only go for 6 weeks (due to work) between Nov-Dec. thinking of dropping Cambodia+Island, and visiting Vietnam and Burma. will prob fly to bangkok. happy to fly between destinations, and was hoping to start in Hanoi/Sapa (hoping the earlier i go the warmer the weather), then work my way down to HCMC. can do Burma at the beginning or end. not sure whats best. first time traveler...please help! i'm really disappointed my trip is cut short - so nee ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,102 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by SBE on 31/5/2010 at 05:06

Leather Shop in Hanoi

Posted by Laki on 27/5/2010 at 17:13

I am toying with returning Stateside soon to travel the country by motorcycle. As such, I will be in need of appropriate dress, and figured it might be more economical to grab what I need while in Vietnam. The next major city I'll have some time in will most likely be Hanoi, so any advice on reliable and honest leather workers/shops there? Also, what type of prices should I anticipate? Lastly, are there any second-hand shops where I might be able to cheap it up another notch and get some han ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,345 times, with no replies.

Fishermen Bai Tu Long tour?

Posted by yan on 27/5/2010 at 00:34

Greetings! I wonder if anyone's used Footprint Vietnam Travel before or heard about them? In particular, I was wondering if their fishermen tour in Bai Tu Long is a good choice as I was looking for something different in the Halong surrounds. http://www.footprintsvietnam.com/Tours/Cruise/Bai-Tu-Long-tour2days.htm Grateful for any feedback or advice. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,284 times, with no replies.

2 x minsk for sale in Hanoi

Posted by expert79 on 18/11/2009 at 10:01

both good condition with paperwork 1 has new chain and sprockets, new clutch, recent engine overhaul before we set off from saigon, has a full toolbag and some spares. comes with usual packrack bungee cords and a helmet. all ready to go the other has new chain and sprockets and has a honda cdi style ignition, new front forks and rear shocks, new rear tyre, twin side pack racks and also has a helmet. looking for around $400 bucks each. will be in hanoi on saturday, weather permiting ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,595 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by expert79 on 25/5/2010 at 12:58

Minsk for sale Hanoi

Posted by Sarah23 on 2/4/2010 at 13:12

I will be arriving in Hanoi on the 7th of April with my Minsk and am looking to sell. It's been a really good bike, and apart from a puncture and small spark plug issue, haven't had any real problems with it. The front wheel, brakes and forks have been replaced with new Honda front forks and a disk brake which greatly improves the stopping power and overall quality of the ride. Asking price is $350 but this is negotiable. Shoot me an email at minskinhanoi@hotmail.co.uk if you're interested or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,110 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Sarah23 on 25/5/2010 at 12:52

Transportation from Ho Chi Minh to Can Tho

Posted by LeslieJ on 7/1/2010 at 21:49

I am arriving to Ho Chi Minh after 5 pm and would like to know the best way to get directly to Can Tho - is it safe to take a taxi at night? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 18,675 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 24/5/2010 at 19:34

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page