Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Cargo Club Hoi An

Posted by bretandgerri on 21/3/2010 at 16:17

My partner and I had a magical few days in beautiful Hoi An, and discovered the Cargo Club on day 2 - the most incredible chocoloate cheesecake, and a stunning building in a gorgeous location. We went back for dinner the next day, and the kind waiter got us the best table, on the corner of the upstairs balcony, overlooking the river. Sensational food, great vibe, friendly and attentive staff, and beautiful romantic setting. Highly recommended. (Also try Cafe 96, and Mermaids - does the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,068 times, with no replies.

Mai linh in Dalat?

Posted by violets on 20/3/2010 at 19:45

Does anyone know where in Dalat is the MAi Linh office, or is it out at the bus station. Thought they might be a good option for getting to BMT. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,370 times, with no replies.

Bank transfer-Sinh Cafe

Posted by val1212 on 4/2/2009 at 22:01

Now I am planning to pruchase a Halong Bay tour from Sinh Cafe. Now they are asking us to transfer to money. However their bank account is not from Vietnam; it is from Commenwealth Bank of Australia under Mr ERIC TRUNG CANG TRAN. I book this tour from http://www.sinhcafevn.com. Is this real Sinh Cafe? Anyone ever transfer money to this bank? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,449 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by thesinhtourist on 20/3/2010 at 08:53

Phu Quoc - Spoiled paradise?

Posted by bretandgerri on 6/3/2010 at 11:48

We arrived in Phu Quoc after the 3-day Mekong - PP - Rach Gia mission, and many months of looking forward to this island paradise! And it is, it's stunning, squeaky white sand, turqoise waters, and very little development. Sadly though, the beach (Long Beach) is literally COVERED in rubbish. We went for a romantic sunset stroll for miles down the beach yesterday, and saw a dead dog floating in the waves, light bulbs, millions of plastic bags, and acres of detritus. We have no problem at all ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,559 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by vietjuls on 19/3/2010 at 06:48

Scam going on at the moment in Saigon.

Posted by Madfire on 15/3/2010 at 01:40

My first post on travelfish !! The day i arrived i randomly met another traveler who told me about another (naive) traveler who got invited to a Vietnamese house to teach one of their kids something on the computer.. and you guess the rest of the story.. there was no kids.. it turned bad and the guy did end up at an ATM withdrawing a shitload of cash for his Viet "friends". I suppose this kind of stuff is not rare, and people dont brag about it when it happens to them.. Anyway, today (ma ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,934 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by luvmedic on 18/3/2010 at 08:51

SAIGON TRUTHS

Posted by KIPPERTHAI on 18/3/2010 at 03:08

Airport to Pham Ngu Lao 120k Taxi meter Motorbike taxi 10k to 20k maximum Shoe shine sir 5k Beer 7k to 35k, 50k at Apocalypse Now ! Dont pay for anything in dollar Visit the war museum Ben Thanh Market RIP OFF BIG TIME, go to chinatown, dont buy coffee at BTM, + 500% Organised trips to Delta rubbish!!!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,213 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by luvmedic on 18/3/2010 at 08:44

Pre-arranged Visa for Vietnam

Posted by mellimoon on 11/3/2010 at 07:13

Hi, i've used an agent to get a visa on arrival for Vietnam, and have been sent the emailed document to print out and present on arrival in Hanoi airport (from BKK). I'm very confused now, as i've read contradicting info here and on other sites about whether this is a legitimate way of getting a visa. Some people have said a visa on arrival does not exist. I'm setting off in 7 days, and i just want to make 100percent sure with the travelfish experts that i will be able to enter Vietnam with ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,139 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 18/3/2010 at 01:33

Saigon - a different experiance to say the least

Posted by zandy_barbielover on 2/6/2007 at 09:46

Hi! I'mI, my wife and our daughter are on a 2 year vacation doing a "around the world tour" and we are currently doing Asia. I've been abroad 100 plus times over the years but still love travelling. After Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia we have now been about 1 month in Saigon (HCMC) in Vietnam. We are kind of taking it easy here, unlike most people who come to Saigon and stay a week maybe. I am surprised by the, pardon me being frank, pure stupideness of most people I meet. How people stare ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,727 times, with 36 replies. Last reply by 69bertie on 17/3/2010 at 22:12

On our way up North - which beach?

Posted by Hemsi on 13/3/2010 at 01:13

Hi, I'm new here would love to here your opinions on our itinary. My husband and I are planning our first trip to Vietnam (3 weeks, end of May). We're doing the "standard route" but from HCMC up North via Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay). Now we're looking for a nice beach towards the end of our journey ... which is not that easy since (as I understand) the nicest places in Nha Trang/Hoi An. Is Cat Ba Island an alternative? Or should we rather plan a longer beach stay in the middl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,374 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Hemsi on 17/3/2010 at 02:43

Ha Noi Vietnam

Posted by nguyennamhg on 15/3/2010 at 14:50

Indochina’s old dame, Hanoi is striving to modernize, yet unwilling to let go of the beauty of its glorious past. Slightly vain, the city won’t bow down and give any tourists and easy time. Only those who are truly willing to understand and listen will recognize the logic of Hanoi's beauty, the complexity of its chaos and peace, its urban speed and rural tranquility. History and name Hanoi used to be called Thang Long (flying dragon). The myth was that in 2010, the new king Ly Cong Uan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,487 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 16/3/2010 at 21:42

Minsk for sale in Saigon

Posted by vietexpat on 16/3/2010 at 16:59

Good working condition. Have papers. Email: vietexpat@yahoo.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,989 times, with no replies.

Child friendly Ho Chi Minh City

Posted by dtm39 on 15/3/2010 at 16:06

Have a five year old girl. Can you recommend a mid range hotel/gh and places to go please? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,226 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 16/3/2010 at 04:23

when is best to go ? between sep-jan (north+south)

Posted by noakess on 14/3/2010 at 18:14

Hi, thanks to the forum i have a great itinerary - which i originally planned for nov-dec (vietnam north to south +cambodia in 6 weeks ish) - but now i'm not sure it will be the best time of year to go - looks like north will be quite cold - will i still be able to kayak in halong bay and enjoy sapa? i can go any time between sep-jan......thanks for your help - found some conflicting info egarding weather.... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,861 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rebeccafarrent on 15/3/2010 at 09:34

Con Dao

Posted by violets on 14/3/2010 at 20:32

I've just arrived in Con Dao and found the situation somewhat different from info I'd read. Given how little information is available I thought I should report on the situation I find here. The cheap hotel is full, and seemed very noisy anyway. I tried to book before I came but as they speak no English and my Vietnamese is not much better, we failed to get anywhere. The resorts are all pretty expensive for the budget traveller, and far more expensive than I've seen reported anywhere. Saigo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,007 times, with no replies.

Booking hostels online and airport pickup

Posted by Pokol on 29/9/2009 at 21:04

Hi, I'm thinking of booking a room using hostelbookers.com. Has anybody tries this? I can also book an airport pickup here. how does this work? Do they wait for you with a sign showing your name or how does this work? Can I trust booking online or should I just risk it and make it into HCMC and fins a room by myself? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,470 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by indochinaqueenhotel on 14/3/2010 at 15:54

Stuck with planning between Da Nang and HCMC - please review and help....

Posted by noakess on 7/3/2010 at 01:28

Hi All, I've been spendign days on the forum prepering for my trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. I'm still not sure how long I have (waiting for boss to approve) but it'll min 4-5 weeks max 8. I sort of got stuck between Da Nang and HCMC. Def want to do train journey between Hue - Da Nang but not sure how to continue - what to skip... happy to fly or train, please see detailed trip below - Thank you!! Bangkok (1-2 nights) markets, rest Bangkok - Hanoi - flight $80 Hanoi (2 nights / 3 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,088 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by francesstella on 13/3/2010 at 01:01

Hanoi is amazing !

Posted by foieslinger on 15/1/2010 at 16:58

after a 30 or so hour trip from Eastern Canada we finally arrived in Hanoi and literally slept for 24 hours after we checked into the hotel. took the suggestion from "Toxic 8" and are staying at the Holidays hotel at 24 bang manh street. $25 per room, nothing special but clean and comfortable. Good breakfast. Hotel is offering a 2 day/1 night cruise for $68 per person on Christina Cruise junk. Anyone have any experience with this tour ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,136 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by gohlayhuah on 11/3/2010 at 19:17

Hanoi Halong Bay Train

Posted by BobG on 10/3/2010 at 19:40

Hi Read lots of reports on travel to Halong bay by minibus, travel times being about 3 hours on perhaps a cramped minibus. Understand from man in seat 61 that trains from Hanoi to Haiphong take about two hours. My question are, has anybody tried this way, how easy is it to book a day cruise arounf Halong Bay, which company would you recommend. Unfortunately we are limited to a day trip only. Many thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,451 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 11/3/2010 at 02:44

Advice on exporting a vespa or lambretta from Vietnam????

Posted by arcadian61 on 28/4/2009 at 01:17

Hi all, I tried a search and couldn't find an appropriate thread so i figured i'd start a new one. I am going to Vietnam in September with a few friends and we are all planning to buy motorbikes and ride from hanoi to Saigon over a few weeks. I am particularly keen on classic scooters like vespa's and lambretta's and i have owned both so i am pretty competent in the mechanical aspects required to keep them running... What i really want to know is if anyone has any knowledge of how diffi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,616 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by burnthisnow on 10/3/2010 at 08:14

Sorting out the Mekong Delta

Posted by Doniwarner on 20/2/2010 at 22:57

The info here is GREAT!! However, I'm finding myself a little lost and I haven't even left home yet. I'm flying into HCMC and my intentions are to go up the Mekong to Cambodia and then make my way to an orphanage in Takeo. I have read that it is pretty easy to do the Mekong solo and that is my preference. I have also read that My Tho is the point from which all the tourist departures take place and that it can be difficult to get a boat from there. So here are the questions I'd like to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,585 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Husko on 9/3/2010 at 15:47

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page