Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Advice on exporting a vespa or lambretta from Vietnam????

Posted by arcadian61 on 28/4/2009 at 01:17

Hi all, I tried a search and couldn't find an appropriate thread so i figured i'd start a new one. I am going to Vietnam in September with a few friends and we are all planning to buy motorbikes and ride from hanoi to Saigon over a few weeks. I am particularly keen on classic scooters like vespa's and lambretta's and i have owned both so i am pretty competent in the mechanical aspects required to keep them running... What i really want to know is if anyone has any knowledge of how diffi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,780 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by burnthisnow on 10/3/2010 at 08:14

Sorting out the Mekong Delta

Posted by Doniwarner on 20/2/2010 at 22:57

The info here is GREAT!! However, I'm finding myself a little lost and I haven't even left home yet. I'm flying into HCMC and my intentions are to go up the Mekong to Cambodia and then make my way to an orphanage in Takeo. I have read that it is pretty easy to do the Mekong solo and that is my preference. I have also read that My Tho is the point from which all the tourist departures take place and that it can be difficult to get a boat from there. So here are the questions I'd like to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,601 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Husko on 9/3/2010 at 15:47

Southern Hotel & villa Hoi An - any advice?

Posted by tassietraveller on 27/2/2010 at 12:29

I'm thinking of booking this hotel. Most of the recommended hotels in down town Hoi An seem to be booked out this seems the next best alternative.Does any one have any advice about it? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,492 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 9/3/2010 at 14:36

Leaving Luggage for a day trip

Posted by Doniwarner on 8/3/2010 at 19:44

I'm wondering how safe it will be to leave my luggage in my room while I day trip in the Mekong? I'll be staying in moderate lodging (not high end and not dorm style). I plan on staying the night and exploring during the day - is it safe or even common to leave my larger pack at the hotel? I'm traveling with medical supplies and donations for an orphanage and don't want to drag them around all day long if I can avoid it. Of course I will take my valuable items with me but I don't want to los ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,439 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 9/3/2010 at 13:24

Vietnam/Cambodia April 10 - any comments please

Posted by jasinorbit on 8/3/2010 at 10:32

Hi, We are doing this trip in April, and we are flying a couple of legs to save time. (Hanoi - Phu Quoc)(PQ - HCMC). After reading the old posts about travel to Cambodia via Mekong Delta, Im thinking I should leave three days for this, instead of two. Any advice on what you would change. (one less day in Sapa maybe?) Any comments you have would be helpful. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,621 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by travel2vietnam2010 on 8/3/2010 at 22:18

Can Tho (Getting There & Being There)

Posted by caseyprich on 3/3/2010 at 10:35

I first want to give my highest recommendation for a trip to Can Tho . Though during Tet the floating market was down to a small hand full of boats - the coffee on the water and later the cruise through the canals (on a two person junk) was a great way to start the one day we had there. As well, the many local markets just 15 minutes walk west of the river are a wonderful place to get some hand-shaved iced, find a clean and smokey cafe to get a coffee in to beat the heat, or just bumble throu ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,437 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 8/3/2010 at 15:09

Luggage storage in HCMC

Posted by Vee on 8/3/2010 at 11:16

Hey, we are backpacking through Vietnam for about a month and need somewhere to store our excess baggage for that time. probably 2-3 bags. we have tried to find some hotels that offer a free baggage service but when we call, there seems to be alot of difficulty conveying what we are in need of. we will stay in HCMC for a few days, so we would be staying at the hotel that stores our luggage. Does anyone know of any hotels/ storage facilities that are not too expensive for 1 month stora ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,186 times, with no replies.

Benchmark for costs of goods Ben Thanh market

Posted by kitten1 on 25/2/2010 at 13:58

Hi There I intend to do quite a bit of shopping in HCMC, however I would appreciate it if someone could let me know what benchmark i can use for negotiating on goods like: T-Shirts Hand Bags Sunglasses Other clothing Other? I just don't want to be ripped off (quite nervous of this as read a lot on many forums about this) but also don't want to be unreasonable when bargaining. Thanks so much ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,222 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by mojopac on 8/3/2010 at 05:37

Which hostel is the best in Hanoi?

Posted by xienz on 27/10/2009 at 15:04

Hi travellers, I'm going to Hanoi in November, and I wan to know which hostel is the best in Hanoi? I only know the Drift Backpackers Hostel and Hanoi Backpacker, but I need some experiences Thanks so much! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,839 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 8/3/2010 at 00:57

Anyone stayed in/heard of the Golden Land Hotel in Hanoi

Posted by Gabrielah on 27/2/2010 at 09:36

I found out about it via trip advisor, and it has nearly perfect reviews. I haven't read about it anywhere else though, so I'm a bit wary. A friend recommended the Camellia hotel Hanoi, but I can afford something a bit nicer. (Golden Land Hotel is in the same area as Camellia hotel Hanoi.) If anyone knows anything about this spot, let me know! Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,091 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Gabrielah on 5/3/2010 at 15:29

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in a month

Posted by kye1 on 1/3/2010 at 10:04

Hi all, Im heading over to Vietnam, cambodia and Loas for a month in July and was going to fly in and out of Ho Chi Min. Then i was going to head up through cambodia and laos to Hanio and back down the coast of Vietnam. Just wondering what ppl thought were the best things to see through here and if i was wasting my time and should fly to major cities and look around the area instead of traveling on bus, scooter, boat (what ever) right through. Any tips would be muchly appreciated. I was also ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,075 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 5/3/2010 at 11:45

Ripped off on public buses in Hanoi

Posted by rakkie on 6/2/2010 at 08:16

I recently visited Hanoi for the first time and decided to catch the public bus (#17) from the airport to save money. They charged me 50000 dong for me ticket which seemed expensive but they refused to give me any change even though I tried to argue (I later found out this was 10 times the normal price). I've never had problems with bus drivers in any other countries, so is there a good strategy to avoid this in Hanoi? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,506 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by luvmedic on 4/3/2010 at 16:44

Vang vieng to hanoi

Posted by tdandkk83 on 23/2/2010 at 21:02

i am going to asia for two months, i plan on flying to a number of places, but to save money i may get the bus, is the trip from vang vieng to hanoi really as bad as they say? the flight here appears to be expensive so i am thinking of using another aleternative but the buss appears to be the only option ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,049 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by gingermark on 3/3/2010 at 10:16

How long in Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos?

Posted by Vee on 28/2/2010 at 22:42

Hi, We have a month planned for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. but we are not sure how long to spend to spend in each country? we were thinking Vietnam: 2 weeks Cambodia: 1 week Laos: 4 days the rest of the time being allowed for travel. Also, what would be the MUST SEES in these countries? thank you so much!!! Vee ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,178 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by francesstella on 3/3/2010 at 00:17

flying solo in Vietnam and Cambodia

Posted by FlashWanderer on 16/2/2010 at 16:14

Hi fellow TBs, I'm new to the site and even though I've gone over many postings covering similar we go again. The initial plan was to book with a tour group for both Vietnam and Cambodia, but after 3+ weeks of full-on-pre-plan-stress over 'ideal' itineraries, budgets, and the pursuit of CLEAN accommodations, I find myself without a tour booking and somehow feeling some semblance of calm about flying solo. How'd that happen? So in the interest of continuing the state of ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,818 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by FlashWanderer on 2/3/2010 at 17:05

Trekking/cycling tour in central/north Vietnam - recommendations?

Posted by mamaamis on 1/3/2010 at 09:33

I'll be traveling in Vietnam for 12 days in March, and I would like to do a combo motorcycling and trekking tour of the central and/or northern highlands. I'd like to travel for 4-5 days, working my way south to the coast, where I'll hang out somewhere between Danang to Nha Trang. I'm interested in cultural experiences and good scenery, basic clean budget accommodations and good local food, and I'd like to do some hiking in between stretches of motorbiking. I'm a fairly seasoned traveler ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,700 times, with no replies.

Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos - In 11 days?

Posted by rooster on 8/2/2008 at 17:53

My freinds and I are due to travel to Hanoi on 17/03 returning from Hanoi on 28/03. This gives us 11 days, which we are hoping to go around Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. This is the provisional destination hittng list we have (to go round in this order) -Hanoi -Halong Bay or Hue -Hoi An -HCMC (Saigon) -Siem Reap (Angkor) -Phnom Penh -Vientiane -Luang Prabang -Hanoi There is a lot there so here are the Qs: 1) Time: is it feasible to do this within 11 days? 2) Priorities: Wha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,583 times, with 20 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 28/2/2010 at 02:27

Genuines and Fakes (Travel Agencies, Tours etc)

Posted by Shahmatt on 24/12/2009 at 09:42

Hi all. In my research on Vietnam travel I've found far too many fake agencies that use the name of established players to get ahead. This has been very irritating and extremely worrying, and I hate worrying when on holiday. I want to confirm the correct websites for the genuine agencies. I would appreciate it if users here could post up what they believe is the correct website and what the source of their information is if any (for example: Lonely Planet, edition XXX, page XX). Since pos ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,873 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by rubic on 27/2/2010 at 11:22

Fly or not from HCMC?

Posted by markacino on 24/2/2010 at 11:35

Hey all, am going to be in HCMC for a few nights before heading up north. I was planning on flying straight to Danang. Then spend a couple of weeks around danang/hoi an/hue. Then flying on up too Hanoi. I would be there mid May, so I am assuming weather would be nice for sightseeing/beaches etc. The other option is taking the train or open bus up to mid vietnam and seeing some sights on the way. This option would obviously limit my time in Danang/HoiAn/Hue due to the longer trip. I ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,111 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 26/2/2010 at 16:06

What to do / where to stay for 1 week in northern Vietnam in September

Posted by JesseJames12 on 23/2/2010 at 22:37

I plan to spend the second week of September in north / north central Vietnam flying in and out of Hanoi. I would like to hit 2 or 3 destinations, but cant decide where to go. The trip is the second half of my honeymoon, the first half will be spent on the beach in indonesia. The idea is to get out of the city for some adventure and culture, but still find some nice places to crash at night (aka. to keep the fiance happy and be romantic). Any suggestions of where to go and where to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,040 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by JesseJames12 on 24/2/2010 at 23:33

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page