Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Live in Ho Chi Minh or Phnom Penh

Posted by woundedhealer on 10/1/2010 at 16:14

I am leaning towards PP just because of the ease of getting certain medications. HCM just dose not have a good supply of much. I dont know HCM that well and feel like I should give it a chance. As in any place moving to a place where you have to make new friends is a little difficult. IF anyone knows both and has any advise I would appreciate it. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,156 times, with no replies.

Tet is coming & the ducks are getting fat!

Posted by Pablot on 9/1/2010 at 18:29

This year 2010 Tet (lunar new year) first day is 14 February. For anyone travelling the period starting at least 2 weeks before thru two weeks after Tet can be a nightmare as most travel between major cities of Hanoi & Saigon is fully booked, and prices are raised exponentially on everything! For the first few days of Tet it is almost impossible to go anywhere or do anything - including eating - as most businesses are closed. If you are travelling stay in one destination for the f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,156 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Pablot on 9/1/2010 at 18:46

Boats from Hai phong

Posted by Viliam on 1/1/2010 at 15:50

Greetings. I bought an atlas to use for my current roadtrip thru Viet nam and found an interesting page in it. There was a map of Viet nam with all waterbound routes marked out. One especially intriguing was from Hai phong to Manila. Is there anyone who have done that trip? Flights from Hanoi are not too appealing, cost wise or destination wise so im looking at other options and boat to Manila would be perfect. Thankful for any tips and suggestions! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,192 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 9/1/2010 at 18:33

Is it cheaper to get a Chinese Visa in Vietnam or San Francisco?

Posted by yinxzon on 8/1/2010 at 01:34

Is it cheaper to get a Chinese Visa in Vietnam or San Francisco? I hold a US passport and I tried calling the Chinese Embassy in Vietnam, neither number works.. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a Chinese Visa in HCMC? (It is 130 USD in San Francisco) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,730 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by yinxzon on 9/1/2010 at 11:54

How to enjoy Chau Doc

Posted by Rlowry76 on 8/1/2010 at 22:25

I will instantly tell you exactly where to go for the best tour of the area by a very friendly and kind local. I was privileged to spend soe time with him and his family and he gave me a tour of the area including Sam mountain for a few hours for less than whatsome of these tour guides ask for. Mr. Long runs the only English bookstore in Chau Doc . Walk out of the guesthouse and walk to where the central square is and on your left hand side next to the pharmacy on the corner you'll find his sh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,982 times, with no replies.

Sapa

Posted by gracetandil on 7/1/2010 at 19:29

When I arrived in Sapa I was offered a trekking to the hill tribes. I was so excited because it was supposed to be the highlight of my trip. We started with a long walk on the paved road, and then we started walking on the rice fields, very dangerous because it was all muddy. Many people fell down and got full of mud. It was a nightmare. Finally we arrived to the tribes. There were several trucks full of tourists, not full of mud and relaxed. I donĀ“t recommend this horrible trekking. You can ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,709 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by gracetandil on 8/1/2010 at 04:49

Another Halong Bay question... Trekking Travel or Sinh Cafe (South Pacific)

Posted by nzchanty on 5/3/2008 at 22:03

Sorry to have to post another question on Halong Bay as there seems to be so many. We were thinking of going with either Trekking Travel or Sinh Cafe for our 3day/night junk cruise. Has anyone got any good or bad reports? Sinh Cafe seems to be offering their cruise with South Pacific travel is that normal? Sinh Cafe is coming in at $92 for a deluxe cruise and Trekking Travel $85. Both seems realitively similar but you just never know!! Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,507 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by hanoimikeshotel on 7/1/2010 at 14:04

Sending credit card details to hotels

Posted by meisos on 5/1/2010 at 18:44

Hi there, I've been looking at booking hotels online and most only have a form where you can request the nights you require. They then send a follow up email requesting credit card details to confirm the booking. Its not really safe to email credit card details around, so I was just wondering what other people out there do to confirm hotel bookings? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,548 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by hanoimikeshotel on 7/1/2010 at 13:53

Motorbikes as luggage on train

Posted by Binder on 6/1/2010 at 01:43

I'm planning on taking a motorbike trip from Saigon to Danang. Then from Danang take the train back to Saigon. Since I will be renting the motorbike I would have to bring the motorbike back on the train. Anyone know if this would be a problem and should I book the train ahead of time? I'm planning on leaving Danang the first week of February. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,716 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/1/2010 at 12:36

dorm rooms in ho chi minh

Posted by brownbum on 5/1/2010 at 00:26

hi, i can't seem to find many options for accommodation in ho chi minh - because i am looking for a mixed dorm. but the bulk of rooms seems to be private - because i'm traveling solo, it gets quite pricey to book a double suite for one. ideally i am looking at district 1, but at juncture, maybe i shouldnt be too picky? help? i would appreciate any suggestions. i am planning on traveling 1st week of feb thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,257 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by brownbum on 7/1/2010 at 12:04

Lost Flash Drive with all my trip photos in Mui Ne

Posted by Banglumpoo on 7/1/2010 at 08:32

I know this might sound crazy and is going to be a very long shot. I lost my 8GB USB Flash Disk (All pictures from my Vietnam trip in there) in Mui Ne on January 3, 2010 night. I might have dropped it in a taxi, or in front of Anh Hien Hotel, or in Lan Tong Quan restaurant. It's a Kingmax SuperStick Flash Disk which looks like this (but white yellow color). http://www.pcdotcom.my/surfcatalog/images/products/IMG_1230.JPG If anyone comes into contact with it o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,497 times, with no replies.

Dalat!

Posted by grasshopper322 on 3/1/2010 at 05:24

If anyone is going to Dalat (and you should) - stay at the Pink Villa House. They are wonderful - rooms clean - and bagoogles of HOT water. Take the day tour with Rot (long o) - we learned more about Vietnamese culture in 7 hours with him than on any other tour. But make sure he is your tour guide. His cousins are ok but Rot is by far the best!! He also took us out to dinner one night and to karoke - he's quite the entertainer. You will learn some of the most interesting customs, what not to do ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,110 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 7/1/2010 at 02:21

Minks for sale in Hanoi.

Posted by Viliam on 6/1/2010 at 09:46

Good condition Minsk for sale. Been driving it from Saigon to Hanoi without any problems. Comes with tools, insurance, a few bungy coards, spare parts and helmet. Drive it around Hanoi or bring it back to Saigon, either way I think this girl will run for a while still! 350$. Will be taking payment in USD, NZD, PHP or even bank transfer if preferred. Easiest to contact on Gustav.Williamsson@gmail.com or post your phonenr and I'll give you a bell! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,036 times, with no replies.

The Jasmine Hotel 1 & 2 in Hanoi Old Quarter

Posted by TheJasmineHotel2 on 5/1/2010 at 22:57

1. The Jasmine Hotel 1: Add: 57 Lo Su, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi 9-storeys with a lift Room Rate: US$ 40/ 1 night ( NET, incl free breakfast,24hr internet) Free airport pick up for three night stay Free room for shower between trips Tel: +84989141916 (Mrs Spring) or : +84439264420 (Reservation) Reservations@TheJasmineHotel.com Website: www.TheJasmineHotel.com 2. The Jasmine Hotel 2 Add: 32 Le Thai To, opposite Hoan Kiem Lake Room Rate: US$28/ night ( incl tax, free breakfast&free Internet) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,926 times, with no replies.

NON DEET Mozzy spray

Posted by nobbystylus on 28/12/2009 at 10:53

Hi Does anybody know where i can buy non-deet, but still effective mosquito repellent in HCMC or in Phan Tiet/Mui Ne? Thanks for the help aaron ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,937 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by craash on 5/1/2010 at 16:42

Hanoians celebrate 1000 years of existence

Posted by theCATALYST on 1/1/2010 at 10:07

Hanoians are celebrating their city's 1000 years of existence. Hundreds of thousands of residents and visitors are enjoying a seven-day festival of flowers at Hoan Kiem Lake (or lake of the return sword) located in the Old Quarter. One of the busiest streets of this city of hardworking people is converted into a virtual Eden. http://myvietnamadventures.blogspot.com/ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,116 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by theCATALYST on 4/1/2010 at 17:49

Twatpackers on Vietnam

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/12/2009 at 20:47

A very amusing site, bringing together some of the worst of travellers behaving badly in Vietnam. Quotes at a glance: "If you are "on a budget" then perhaps consider a shorter break. That way you'll be able to afford better places and everyone else will benefit when you go home sooner" "It turns out that Hanoi is an awful place. I am not sure who wrote the section in Lonely Planet guide, who stated that Hanoi is a gem and that it holds the trappings of the country on the rise punctuates ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,680 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by theCATALYST on 4/1/2010 at 12:28

Honeymoon In Vietnam

Posted by VanUk on 4/1/2010 at 12:04

Are you looking for a places to celebrate your honeymoon with your lover or find a special gift for your close-friend,...? Have you thought a honeymoon in Vietnam? Vietnam is a beautiful country where mountains, green rice paddies and crystal beaches make up a beautiful and exotic local. This Indochinese country is a perfect destination for newly -weds that wish to have a different sort of honeymoon trips. If you are looking for a cruising trips. Here some recommends: Ha long bay -The wo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,262 times, with no replies.

Longer term stay in HCMC?

Posted by Orfeo on 3/1/2010 at 17:11

I'm not sure this is entirely to topic, but i have reason to say in HCMC for 8 weeks from later this month and am looking for recommendations on places that would be good (preferably inexpensive) to stay. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,179 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Vietnam720 on 4/1/2010 at 08:48

Mekong tours pre-book or not ?

Posted by freebird on 6/12/2009 at 09:04

We are planning on flying from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia on 19 Dec and was wondering if it is necessary to book anything, or will we just be able to make our way through the mekong on public transport etc. without booking anything... ? Is it better to stay on a boat overnight, or a hotel? What is a homestay I keep hearing about ? Thanks guys ! peace ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,326 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by Honchar on 3/1/2010 at 22:32

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page