Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Overnight bus departing HCMC/Chau Doc/PP/SR

Posted by cuffedbloke on 30/10/2009 at 01:32

Hi Anyone, I'm on a very tight 9 day trip through HCMC-Chau Doc-Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Bangkok. Need to know if anyone knows of buses or perhaps even a private taxi service which operates through the night (wanna save more time to sightsee rather than traveling in the day). Thanks a bunch. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,496 times, with no replies.

Columbus Adventure

Posted by nikhyat on 27/10/2009 at 17:47

Anyone ever tried using their services? This is the website I am looking into www.columbusadventures.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,371 times, with no replies.

Help with Vietnam intineray for 6 days

Posted by frreddie on 23/10/2009 at 09:39

We are 3 people traveling to Vietnam from monday the 7th of december and will stay until saturday. At first i was thinking going to Hanoi with a a trip to Halong Bay. Now iam not sure anymore since i heard the weather can be cold during that time. I started looking into other places in Vietnam. Where would you go if you had 6 days to spend in vietnam in december? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,551 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by frreddie on 29/10/2009 at 16:37

Phu Quoc or Shinoukville?

Posted by candyman on 20/10/2009 at 01:00

I'm looking at going to Phu Quoc island for a couple of days on a quick trip thru Vietnam and Cambodia--is it worth it or should I go to Shinoukville instead? How do the beaches compare? I've spent a couple days in Shinoukville before so I know what it's like. I'm mainly interested in relaxing, swimming, going scuba diving (nothing fancy, maybe one or two dives), and maybe some hiking. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,340 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by RayIV on 29/10/2009 at 15:42

Chau Doc - Can Tho - HCMC

Posted by linjingyi on 28/10/2009 at 22:58

Hi, I am planning to take the above stated route but it seems less conventional as compared to HCMC- Can Tho -Chau Doc-PP route.. I was wondering if anyone can kindly advise me if you think this route is feasible? Also, do you know how can I get from Can Tho to HCMC in the shortest time? Many thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,160 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/10/2009 at 07:37

Lak lake experience/tour

Posted by hevva on 27/10/2009 at 21:19

We leave for vietnam in less than 2 weeks and were trying to book a tour from da lat to nha trang via lak lake with sinh cafe. we've not had a response from them yet, not sure if it's safe to book it on arrival (we're quite tight for time) or whether anyone knows of another reputable operator doing a similar thing? Heard about Easy Riders but think i'm too scared to go on the back of a bike! Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,126 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by justwondering on 29/10/2009 at 06:04

Ho Chi Minh City to South of Thailand - Possible to go direct

Posted by pdrysdale on 28/10/2009 at 16:04

Hi, I am just wondering if this is possible or does one have to go between Bangkok? Air Asia are pretty cheap to go to Bangkok first but do any airlines fly direct? Many Thanks Paddy. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,210 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/10/2009 at 18:35

Buying rail tickets in Hue

Posted by travellerwill on 28/10/2009 at 08:57

Hue is full of ‘travel agents’ wanting to sell you bus and train tickets. I wanted to go to Hanoi on the day train so asked around for prices, and got replies ranging from 500,000 Dong to 620,000 Dong from Sinh Cafe. This seemed rather steep for one soft seat air con. So I cycled over to the train station where they have boards giving all the information you need including the prices and I queued only a few minutes to buy a ticket. The cost - only 280,000 Dong, almost half the price quoted ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,106 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/10/2009 at 09:59

What clothes to pack - formal clothing necessary?

Posted by c1ee on 26/10/2009 at 06:29

Hi all, I'm going on a trip to Vietnam in two weeks time. In my trip I plan on doing a lot of riding around on a motorbike, and also partying. I will be in Saigon, and will be riding all the way up to Hanoi. I'm now trying to decide what clothes to pack. Should I bother taking my jeans? I would like to experience the night life, but does that mean I need to bring collar shirts, leather shoes, and maybe a jacket too? I'm going to be carrying a 65litre backpack, btw. This is my first time ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,733 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by violets on 28/10/2009 at 07:28

Fingernail Beach, south of Phu Quoc Island

Posted by virusvaleria on 23/10/2009 at 06:11

Im trying to get info on Fingernail Beach and how to get there but i can't find anything. Has anyone ever been there and how did u get there?? Thanks heaps for any help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,370 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by jasonkim8486 on 28/10/2009 at 06:51

Trying to find a local friend in Sapa

Posted by squong on 26/10/2009 at 15:14

Hi, I apologies in advance for this repost. I am trying to reach a local friend in Sapa. His name is Nam and he owns the Viet Emotion (http://vietemotion.com/) restaurant at 27 Cau Mai. If anyone is traveling through the area (even a few weeks after this post), can you ask him to contact me at squong@yahoo.com Thanks in advance Spencer ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,532 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by squong on 27/10/2009 at 13:10

Weather experts - help!

Posted by emma066 on 22/10/2009 at 19:10

Planning on going to Vietnam end of May through to middle of June. Can anyone advise on the weather?? Thanks, Em ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,578 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by 10vEly on 27/10/2009 at 12:01

Banned Vietnamese travel agents

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/7/2009 at 08:26

I've just deleted a few discussions related to specific Vietnamese tour operators/travel agents. In each case the operator mentioned has previously been banned from Travelfish because they've spammed the forum. As far as I'm concerned, an operator that feels the need to spam a travel website or place "positive write-ups" of their business needs to do so solely because they offer poor service and this is the easiest way for them to beat up some business. While I'd love to name and shame the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,555 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by 10vEly on 27/10/2009 at 11:53

Overnight trains - Hanoi to HCM

Posted by emma066 on 26/10/2009 at 20:37

I want to do the above and travel in a soft berth. I cannot for the life of my find prices anywhere. Does anyone know the rough cost to get from North to South on overnight sleepers? Alternatively, thinking of travelling Hanoi to Hoi An area overnight then Hoi An area to HCM with a few stops on the way? Any idea of prices in USD/GBP? Finally, is it a good way to travel if you have about 3-4 weeks in VN? Thanks, Emma ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,373 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by mic2 on 27/10/2009 at 10:18

Update Weather Confitions Hanoi and Hoi An

Posted by Pokol on 14/10/2009 at 21:05

Hi! Can anybody update what's the situation like in Hoi An after Ketsana and in Hanoi with Parma approaching? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,191 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Digs on 26/10/2009 at 21:21

3 weeks in South Vietnam - where would you go?

Posted by Mariedk on 18/10/2009 at 23:53

We've booked a flight from Denmark to Bankok in late December - hoping to find a flight from there to HCMC. We've been told, that we should stay in the South of Vietnam because of the nice weather at that time.. We're looking for local culture and food, nice and quiet, relaxed beaches and beautiful nature..Where would you go? We've been recommended to go to Phu Quoc, because we love islands - but isn't it big and crowded? Flights seems also quite expensive (from HCMC and Bangkok). Since we h ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,286 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by Husko on 26/10/2009 at 16:03

Mekong Delta

Posted by mrbangkok on 26/10/2009 at 14:30

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get across the Mekong Delta to Phu Quoc Island. We are planning to do the trip ourselves but open to any other suggestions? We are also thinking about returning from Phu Quoc back to HCMC, is there any other way of doing this rather than flying? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,923 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/10/2009 at 15:34

4 Weeks in SE Asia starting in Hanoi - Need Advice

Posted by eatinginhanoi on 22/10/2009 at 00:04

Hello all, We've been living in Vietnam for a couple months and are just about finished with a volunteer gig and have one month to explore Southeast Asia starting next week before heading back. We're only now able to plan. The trip would start in Hanoi . We're having trouble figuring out where to go next, seeing that we've already been to central and northern Vietnam and are looking to head out of the country next. We will need to end the trip in Saigon. Here's what we'd like to do: - ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,124 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by eatinginhanoi on 25/10/2009 at 17:21

social hanoi guesthouses/hostels

Posted by yayorc on 25/10/2009 at 12:17

Hello - solo traveler from the US looking for a good, well located, place to stay in Hanoi to meet up with other travelers, hopefully more laid back than a party crowd? Thanks in advance for the recommendations. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,354 times, with no replies.

Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 3 week itinerary

Posted by fionoula on 23/10/2009 at 15:19

We are a group of 7 adults who are interested in, scenery and culture. We are economy travellers but not backpackers. We are travelling early January The itinerary must begin in Hanoi and finish in Ho Cho Min. As there are seven of us we thought that we could hire a minivan and driver in some areas (as well as travelling by palne, boat etc) I would appreciate any recommendations Thanks Fiona ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,432 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 24/10/2009 at 08:16

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page