Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Night travel....buses/trains..

Posted by Greggor58 on 5/8/2009 at 07:47

Hi everybody...Ive just worked out an itinerary for January and February travel throughout Vietnam... Im hoping that someone here can point me in the direction of a bus company or service..by traveling at night Ill gain an extra ten days or so give or take...to add to my usable time there...Is it possible or common to travel by bus or train at night..? Any help is appreciated!Thanks.. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,556 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 2/9/2009 at 12:00

Sapa questions

Posted by drudogg on 10/7/2009 at 11:29

Hi all, I have a few questions about Sapa: 1) Is there a particular day of the week that the markets occur? I can fly into Hanoi on either Saturday (Aug. 22) or Sunday (Aug. 23). Also, what time should my flight arrive at Hanoi in order for me to catch the overnight trains to Sapa? If I arrive at 3 or 4pm, is that too late to buy a ticket and catch the overnight train to Sapa? 2) When trekking in Sapa, can I leave my larger backpack at a hotel and carry just a daypack for the tre ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,172 times, with 30 replies. Last reply by smash on 2/9/2009 at 00:45

Boat from HCMC to Can Tho

Posted by apertyx on 24/7/2009 at 20:24

Good Day, I've seen some references to a public boat running from HCMC to Can Tho, but haven't been able to nail it down. Does one exist? If so, has anyone an experience to share. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,227 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 2/9/2009 at 00:01

HCMC Airport Taxi's Nightmare part 2

Posted by travworld on 12/7/2009 at 20:49

So you just got done flying for some 25 hours , and have gathered your luggafe , going thru last security , you see 5 money exchange booths each one giving a different rate, all the money is the same take the higher rate. Now if you go outside there is allot of taxi's . So which one to take , well Malinh and Vinasun are the most respected , and most are in a Uniform with a tie . if none are available you could take the 8.00 usd , a 1 price option at the Budget Rent a Car counter, you pay them th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,400 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 30/8/2009 at 08:15

Postal service in Vietnam

Posted by Remedy on 16/8/2009 at 01:30

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the postal service in Vietnam. I'm planning on shipping some items back to Europe when I get to Hoi An, but I'm a bit unsure whether the service is reliable or not. Also, does anyone know what would be the expected delivery time ? Cheers, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,130 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by nworbd on 29/8/2009 at 17:26

Ninh Binh to Huong Son (Purfume Pagoda) Possible?

Posted by angfonz on 28/8/2009 at 23:18

Well, I'm in Ninh Binh at the moment and it seems we have an extra day somehow before our flight out of Hanoi . We would like to hit the Perfume Pagoda without having to backtrack all the way to Hanoi - which is about 4 hours of extra bus riding. The dude at our hotel in NB says that he can hire us a private car to take us this way, but it would cost 50 dollars - which is sort of outrageous considering the bus prices. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Elliott ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,231 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 29/8/2009 at 07:43

Ninh Binh questions!

Posted by yan on 27/8/2009 at 12:02

Greetings forum folks! I am headed to Ninh Binh at the end of September and will stay there for 4 days. The following places, I'd like to visit but am not quite sure how. 1. Cuc Phuong National Park: I'd like to spend a night in a stilt house in the park. If I were to hire a guide from Ninh Binh, will this, and transport to/from the park be arranged by the guide? How much will all this cost? (Including a side trip to Van Long nature reserve or Kenh Ga Floating Village on the way back?) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,288 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/8/2009 at 13:02

Starting a Mekong Delta Tour from Rach Gia

Posted by alexandra13 on 20/8/2009 at 00:23

Hello again, We have more or less figured out our route from HCMC to Siem Reap over 15 days thanks to help from this forum. But, a few questions remain...! After HCMC we are flying to Phu Quoc, and then we want to go from Rach Gia to Chau Doc to take the boat up to Phnom Penh. We'd like to spend a few days in the Mekong Delta but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a route (or tour, as long as it is small) that would take us from Rach Gia to Chau Doc while looping around and seei ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,405 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/8/2009 at 07:01

Halong Bay private charter?

Posted by sdl68 on 26/8/2009 at 06:20

Hi I will be going to Halong Bay simply for photography and so Im not really interested in the typical two and three day packages on a junk boat. Would it be possible to hire someone with a small boat that would take me out to some scenic areas for a couple hours in the evening light or early morning light? Would this be more probable if I stay at Cat Ba or should I stay on the mainland and try and find someone there. any info would be appreciated ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,432 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/8/2009 at 06:47

Soft sleeper train Hanoi Hue

Posted by Pokol on 26/8/2009 at 19:02

Hi, Does anybody know what are the best travel agencies to book a tickets from Hanoi to Hue? I've heard it's hard to find tickets at the train station because they're always booked out... Also, I'm travelling in October and I'd like to book a trekking tour to Sapa...Is it a good time? Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,019 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 27/8/2009 at 01:39

backpacker areas

Posted by splashtree on 20/8/2009 at 05:24

taking a rather sudden trip around s.e.a and whilst im trying to speed read a travel book on the region, i was looking for some help in determining where the backpacker/flashpacker areas are located. im flying to bangkok but have been there before. from there going siem riep, is there a place that backpackers hang out in the evening? going phnom phem for a couple of days, same question. onto the bigger places. arriving in hcm city and at the time of writting, havnt reached that far in t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,788 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Vietnam720 on 26/8/2009 at 16:22

Hanoi to Chaing Mai Flight

Posted by splashtree on 25/8/2009 at 16:28

anybody know and carriers that do this leg. all the research i've done so far says they only go to bangkok or KL from Hanoi, however, i might be wrong. any advise greatly recieved. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,692 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by splashtree on 26/8/2009 at 02:07

trains from hcm to mui ne then nha trang??

Posted by laallee on 22/8/2009 at 18:16

has anyone a link to the timetable and train details if poss, thanks laallee. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,779 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by laallee on 24/8/2009 at 01:43

Kayaking in Ha Long

Posted by joecool on 20/8/2009 at 15:10

Hi, 5 years ago, I did a 3 day (2 night) kayaking trip in Ha Long with Handspan. The trip was quite expensive, but worth it for me. As far as I know, Handspan is/was the only company with a base camp on one of the islands, away from the tourist boats and noise. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be offering the 3 day trip anymore, only a shortened 2 day version. So, my questions... 1) Has anybody done this 2 day kayaking trip? What was your experience? 2) Are there any other compa ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,171 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tingers on 21/8/2009 at 13:08

Adventure to HCMC and beyond

Posted by LD84 on 21/7/2009 at 18:53

Hi all, I have somewhat spontaneously booked a return flight to Ho Chi Minh City for 19th Nov, returning 5th Dec. I've done a bit of research, but wanted to see what the rest of you would do with this amount of time, at that time of year? I will be travelling solo, and haven't been to SE Asia before. I would like to go to one of Angkor or Halong Bay (not both), and just having trouble formulating any sort of plan. Any suggestions? Cheers, Dave. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,740 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by LD84 on 20/8/2009 at 14:53

Trying to decide between Hue/Hoi An and Phu Quoc / Dalat

Posted by alexandra13 on 15/8/2009 at 01:50

Hello, I have been reading the forum for days and have found so much good information and great ideas - thank you! Now I have too many great ideas and am wondering if you can help with a decision... We are planning an 18 day trip to Cambodia and Vietnam from Sept 16 - Oct 3. We plan to fly in to Vietnam and back home from Cambodia. We are having trouble deciding how best to spend our time in Vietnam - though we have narrowed it down to the south so as to make crossing into Cambodia easie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,922 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by alexandra13 on 20/8/2009 at 00:12

transport/route info please!!

Posted by laallee on 19/8/2009 at 18:11

just got back from a great holiday and we are already dreaming of next year! we would like to take in saigon, phu quoc, mui ne, hoi an and hue next year. ideally we would prefer to fly between places where possible. can anyone suggest a loose itinerary and transport details/route please entering and exiting via saigon if needed. thanks laallee. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,373 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by laallee on 19/8/2009 at 18:54

SEA trip - start in Hanoi or Bangkok?

Posted by hbkiwi on 18/8/2009 at 14:52

My husband and I will be travelling through SEA from mid Oct - mid Dec . . from what I have read (re weather conditions etc) it seems that it would be best to start out in Hanoi in mid Oct and make our way back down through Vietnam Cambodia Laos then finish up in Thailand . . . any advice would be greatly appreciated - Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,206 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 19/8/2009 at 05:54

Day tours in Vietnam

Posted by scarfie on 18/8/2009 at 10:14

My girlfriend and I (21 & 22) are heading to Vietnam for approx 3 & a half weeks in January. We're traveling independently, but we are thinking of taking some day tours from the main centres to see things like the Mekong, Cu Chi tunnels, Cuc Phuong National Park & the DMZ. We're traveling on a budget (hopefully 30-50 usd a day - but we might be able to increase this a little). I just want to know how feasible it is to visit things like the tunnels and the national parks without going on a tour? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,160 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 18/8/2009 at 19:49

Booking trains in advance

Posted by Rohan on 13/8/2009 at 07:16

I will be flying into Saigon on to morning of 28 December and am looking to take the overnight train that night to Denang/Hoi An. From what I have read, I am unlikely to be able to buy a ticket on the day. Can anyone recommend a travel agent to make the booking through? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,604 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 18/8/2009 at 12:46

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page