Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

buses to Chau Doc from CanTho and Vinh Long

Posted by joeandnicky on 7/8/2009 at 11:55

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can get a direct bus from either Cantho or Vinh Long to Chau Doc and how long it would take? I don't want to have to go back to HCMC unless absolutely necessary. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,581 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by krisim on 7/8/2009 at 14:25

Salsa in Saigon and Hanoi

Posted by MADMAC on 20/7/2009 at 02:14

On the off chance that any of you dance, FYI there is a budding salsa scene in both Hanoi and Saigon. See below: http://www.salsaigon.com/ http://www.salsapower.com/cities/vietnam_hanoi.htm ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,902 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 3/8/2009 at 11:47

Cha Ca La Vong (Grilled fish) / Hanoi food & Cuisine

Posted by Travelindochine on 14/7/2008 at 13:54

“Cha ca” is a favourite dish of Hanoian. Located in Cha Ca street, Cha ca La Vong (”cha ca” means grilled fish) is the famous restaurant to many Hanoian as well as visitors from all over the world. The food is supposed to have been created by the Doan family. According to Mrs. Ngo Thi Tinh (a descendant of the 4th generation of the family), the family started the business of selling “cha ca” to earn money to support the family members and to have a meeting place for the Vietnamese ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,226 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by tingers on 3/8/2009 at 09:20

Flights out of Vietnam. How to find best prices?

Posted by mattflemming on 2/8/2009 at 12:27

Hey, just wondering what's the best way to get a good deal on flights out of Vietnam? Planning on going on to South Korea and then to Canada. Are travel agents the way to go? Or should I stick with Expedia and sites like that? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,745 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by damiancd on 2/8/2009 at 17:49

Next Big Tourist Destination In Vietnam

Posted by anhluc on 31/7/2009 at 10:33

Just wanted to post this link - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/photogalleries/worlds-biggest-cave-pictures/index.html How long until the Vietnamese, Vietnamese this place - which right now has to be own of the most spectacular places on earth. Can't wait to hear a tour guide tell me that during the American War the NVA and Viet Cong used the place as a regular hide-out - they just forgot to tell the world. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,215 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 31/7/2009 at 11:37

Quick chart for Vietnam Railways schedule & prices

Posted by BruceMoon on 30/7/2009 at 13:50

And, there's more. This site also allows for a quick peek at rail times/schedules/prices/etc. by Vietnam Railways, so go here to look. I'm not recommending the travel agent, rather, alerting you to a site with quick access to rail details. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,723 times, with no replies.

Flights from Saigon to Siem Reap

Posted by Stigron on 29/3/2009 at 06:59

Has anyone had any experience flying from Saigon to Siem Reap? Cost - Airlines - Times etc. Are Jetstar now flying between these ports? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,247 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 30/7/2009 at 13:40

Traveling with a toddler in Vietnam

Posted by missmessy on 29/7/2009 at 23:03

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences traveling with a toddler in Vietnam. I've been there 3 times before, but in November, it will be the first time with my almost 2 year old. Any pointers? Tips? Things to look out for? Should we take an umbrella stroller or perhaps an Ergo carrier? We're only going for a week and will probably just visit HCMC, Da Lat and maybe Mui Ne. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,278 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by missmessy on 30/7/2009 at 06:04

Avis Car Rental Opening in Vietnam

Posted by stubbornchirpy on 13/7/2009 at 16:28

Vietnam, 01 July 2009 – Avis, the leading global car rental company, recently announced its entrance into Vietnam as the first leading global car rental brand by 1 July 2009. Avis Vietnam will offer business and leisure customers the full spectrum of car rental, car leasing and chauffeur drive services. Besides the latest range of compact, mid to large size, sports and luxury vehicles from popular brands such as Mercedes Benz, GM Daewoo, Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Audi and many others, a pro ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,251 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by missmessy on 29/7/2009 at 20:41

Halong Bay tour with Sihn Cafe

Posted by rmena21 on 23/7/2009 at 13:35

Hello. I have been reading all the wonderful stories, articles and forums here on Travelfish on Halong Bay. I defenitely know that Columbus is the best one. I just visited them and would love to go with them, however, I don't have the budget. I was offered by Sinh Cafe (the real one)a tour of 3 days, 2 nights, in a "deluxe" boat, 1 night at the junk, 1 night in Cat Ba Island in the Holiday hotel, all meals and transportation included for US$83 per person. I wanted to know if anyone had d ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,156 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by missmessy on 29/7/2009 at 20:30

HCMC or Hanoi?

Posted by sea_newcomer on 23/7/2009 at 20:03

Hi there, I would be interested to find out what people's thoughts are on whether HCMC or Hanoi is a better place to visit. I will be spending a few months in Thailand this winter, but plan to fly to one of these two destinations for a few days. Which would people recommend and why? Thanks in advance for your advice. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,807 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 29/7/2009 at 10:38

Firts Trip To Vietnam Itinerary (Can someone please add their comments?)

Posted by gracenpaul on 29/7/2009 at 07:42

Hi, My wife and I are planning our first trip to Vietnam in SEP/OCT and was wondering if someone could please add comments/suugestions? We only have 14 days to spare. Arrive HCM (3 Nights) Fly to Na Trang (2 Nights) Train to Da Nang (1 Night) What we are stuck on is the best way to get to Hanoi from Da nang? We would like to spend a few days in Hoi An and Hue and a least 3-4 days in Hanoi before we head home. Is this a realistic plan? If someone can add their suggestion ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,288 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 29/7/2009 at 09:18

Arranging a 3 day cruise from Halong Bay

Posted by TomSawyer on 10/7/2009 at 13:40

I attempted to arrange a cruise with Saigon Cafe Tours after reading TF's "Ha Long Bay for flashpackers" article. After 8 days and many emails to Saigoncafé Travel (I’m not even totally sure if these are the same people, as mentioned in the TF article?) I have no tour, primarily due to the fact that they wanted me to make 20% deposit into a personal Vietnamese bank account, the deposit was only $18US and the (international) bank transaction fees were $30US! This seemed unrealistic, however th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,193 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 28/7/2009 at 06:48

To book or not to book?

Posted by stephmccabe on 23/6/2009 at 15:08

My partner and I are traveling from Hanoi to HCMC then across to Cambodia in August this year (2009). We are wondering wether it is necessary to book accommodation via the internet before we go. Do places book out? We are looking at about US$10-30 price range per night. Can you get a better deal if you show up on the night? Also, any information/ideas on things to do in Vietnam would be greatly appreciated. e.g. we are unsure which overnight junk boat Halong bay tour to do as there are so ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,354 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MissJanie on 27/7/2009 at 19:23

flight HCMC to Siem Reap

Posted by LindaBuskin on 5/2/2009 at 10:55

We arrive from Canada in HCMC on 17th Feb late night (after 10 pm and very long flight) and want to get to Siem Reap asap i.e. next day - I can only find a flight on Vietnam airline. I've been reading that buying flights once we arrive in Vietnam is much cheaper but not sure how to go about doing that in advance and at reasonable cost. Is there a travel agent in HCMC I could contact, or Vietnam airline office? Any other suggestions about other airlines & flights much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,899 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 27/7/2009 at 11:38

HCMC to Siem Reap Flight

Posted by gschwarz9981 on 27/7/2009 at 07:23

Anyone know the cost of a return flight from HCMC to Siem Reap is going for these days?? Also is the VN Airways office in HCMC open on a Saturday? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,596 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/7/2009 at 08:08

Five days in Vietnam - Please vet my itinerary

Posted by Shahmatt on 30/6/2009 at 14:45

Hi, I'm trying my best to schedule an itinerary for a 5 day trip. It looks like its going to be tight. The trip stops can be summarized as follows: Hanoi -> Halong -> Hanoi -> Dong Hoi -> Hanoi Day 1: Thursday night. Land at Hanoi at 8pm. Travel to Halong City during the night. Stay overnight at Halong City. Day 2: Friday - Visit Halong Bay. Stay overnight on boat. Day 3: Saturday - Halong Bay, get back to Hanoi by evening. Take sleeper bus to Dong Hoi. Day 4: Sunday - ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,816 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by Tweet22 on 24/7/2009 at 09:20

Flights between Hanoi and HCMC

Posted by lolilu on 22/7/2009 at 02:28

Hi - My friend and I want to fly from Hanoi to HCMC in mid-August. We were considering booking a flight before we leave the States, but a lot of people have warned us that it might be cheaper to book once we actually get into Vietnam. We've looked on Skyscanner and it looks like any non-stop flight is running around $315 per person (with Vietnam Airlines)! I checked what I believed to be Vietnam Airlines website (www.vietnamairlines.com/), and it quoted me a significantly lower price. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,651 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Tweet22 on 24/7/2009 at 08:51

Amigo Hotel Hue Hotle

Posted by Solofl on 11/7/2009 at 04:13

I just visited Vietnam from the Mekong to Hue and all in between. I asked a taxi driver if he new a good place to stay. He took me to an ally that I was not sure of going down yet then about 50 yards I came to the Amigo Hotel It was strange to see it in the ally like an oasis in the desert. I was to stay only one night yet stayed three nights. I would have stayed longer if I could have changed my plans. The hotel was very clean and the hospitality was exceptional. From the moment you arrive ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,069 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by pthanhthao on 23/7/2009 at 23:10

Taking classes in laos and vietnam

Posted by MariaT on 23/7/2009 at 09:38

Hello everyone! I am planning a 1-2 month trip to laos and vietnam. I am trying to find out if there are any places in these countries that are offering any sorts of courses besides cooking, language or yoga classes. My idea for this trip is less traveling around and more finding a nice laid back place to stay for a longer period of time and exploring the surroundings and the culture little by little. I have seen posts about different courses one can do in ho chi min and in hanoi, but from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,739 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page