Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Feedback on Itinerary for August

Posted by eb on 5/7/2009 at 22:21

Any suggestions or advice for this itinerary for August? As a bit of background - I'll be arriving in HCMC with a friend. She'll be flying out of Hanoi on day 11, and then I'll be flying out of HCMC at the end of it. Also, I figured we should book the flights as soon as possible. Anything else we should be trying to book now? Thanks in advance for any help! Day 0 - Arrive in HCMC Day 1 - HCMC Day 2 - HCMC. in the evening, fly from HCMC to Hue Day 3 - day in Hue, then evening to Hoi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,655 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by eb on 20/7/2009 at 17:40

Trip to Sapa and Bac Ha in Aug

Posted by IsaacLam on 17/7/2009 at 07:16

Hi there, We just spent 15 days in the South and Central. Due to the nice experience (because of my time suffing in travelfish), we are going to spend another 11 days in the North. Besides of Hanoi , we would spend most of our time in Sapa and Bac Ha areas, below is my draft of itinerary: Aug 13, Thur 09.30 arrived Hanoi and transfer to Lao Cai by night train (is it worth to spend $15+ more on a better train? Any place allow us to take a shower before we get onto a train in Hanoi?) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,667 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 20/7/2009 at 13:13

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum

Posted by angfonz on 8/7/2009 at 22:59

Can anyone please help me with the exact period of operation? My trip would be much simpler if I could avoid starting in Hanoi, and ending there instead. Unfortunately, from what I've read the mausoleum is closed in September. Is that from the 1st or later in the month? My travel times are August 20th to September 20th. I'm bringing a rain coat! Thanks in advance. Depending on your answers I'll probably bombard this forum with questions since Bruce kicked me off the Indochina section! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,811 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 20/7/2009 at 02:19

Nha Trang Acommodation

Posted by clarerarks on 16/7/2009 at 08:15

Hello, Was wondering if anyone could help me, has anyone stayed at the sunlight Hotel (Thai Duong hotel) in Nha Trang. Basically im looking for accommodation in town with a triple room and a pool under $50 a night, there are so many but alot do not do triple rooms! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,003 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by IsaacLam on 19/7/2009 at 08:27

Pinta/Pinta Gold good for the middle/old aged only?

Posted by lexkssnbrg on 4/7/2009 at 11:57

My partner and I are considering either the Pinta or Pinta Gold cruiser (as recommended by contributors here), but it seems that the boats are just suitable for the middle/old aged. Will we feel lost in the mix if we're booked? Much appreciate your advices. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,559 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 17/7/2009 at 12:16

Looking for quiet accom on the beach in South Vietnam!

Posted by jmac on 15/7/2009 at 16:35

Hi there, having spent time in Saigon, Hanoi, Haiphong and now Hoi An we really want to go somewhere quiet on the beach. Everywhere seems to be very "touristy" does anyone know of somewhere good to chill out for a week? Thanks in advance! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,267 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 15/7/2009 at 19:10

Up to date train and fares timetable?

Posted by fcottle on 23/6/2009 at 01:54

I've read the information here on travelfish about Vietnam trains, which provides great info. I've also downloaded the PDF doc of the timetables and fares, however it's from September 2007. The official Vietnam Railways website link to English timetables and fares isn't working. Could someone possibly post a more up to date PDF file, or let me know if the one on here is still accurate? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,310 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rohan on 14/7/2009 at 07:34

To fly or not to fly?

Posted by sophieee on 12/7/2009 at 20:40

Hello! We are travelling overland from bangkok into cambodia through vietnam and into laos then due to get the overland train to bangkok to fly home. There are parts of our trip that would be a lot easier to fly though, like Hanoi to Luang Prabrang but my friend did this same trip about 3 years ago and said that we should avoid flying. She flew internally in Vietnam and none of the passengers had there baggage put on the plane. She said that she met a lot of people who had had this happen to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,085 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by sophieee on 13/7/2009 at 23:33

Hotels below 20$ in central Saigon?

Posted by rebeccafarrent on 7/5/2009 at 09:56

Hi, We're looking for hotels in Saigon for our summer holiday. We prefer those in the city center at not more than 20$/room/night. Any advice? Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,486 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by travworld on 13/7/2009 at 10:06

Cat Ba + Ha Long Minus the Tour Boat

Posted by kpop on 17/6/2009 at 23:03

Hello! Okay, I know there is a lot of info on the site in regards to this topic, but I haven't found answers to these specific questions. I appologize in advance if this has already been asked. Travelling in a group of 2, we're looking to spend about 7 days at Cat Ba Island. We want to bypass the Ha Long tours all together by taking the ferry to/from Hai Phong. I have read the Travelfish stories, which recommend bargaining your way onto a tour boat to get from Ha Long City to Cat Ba, t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,924 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by amazon_blonde on 13/7/2009 at 06:40

180 day visa multiple entry

Posted by bradmcfc81 on 7/7/2009 at 22:56

Im off to vietnam for a month at the end of september,then on to Cambodia to do a TEFL course.I was going to get a 6 month visa ,so that i could re-enter vietnam at some point after ive finished the course in cambodia (the course is 5 weeks) .However,ive been in touch with Trailfinders Visa department,who have advised me not to try and get a 6 month visa ,as the embassy will ask for all sorts of documents and it could take a long time to sort out,if at all.he suggested either the 1 month/3 month ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,126 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by violets on 9/7/2009 at 11:12

Buon Ma Tout to Dalat

Posted by huxley21 on 29/6/2009 at 23:51

We are going to be staying in Buon Ma Tout for prob two nights as coming down from Kon Tum and and want to 1) hire a motobike and ride upo to Yok Don for elephants and ban don 2) either hire a motobike or get a private tour to dray sap falls and onto lak lake. any words of wisdom on these or tips would be appreciated! ALSO... whether it would be possible to be driven on from lak lake either by tour guide (or someone there) to Dalat to save having to go back to buon ma tout and if so ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,946 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 6/7/2009 at 11:23

Indochina Sails vs. Handspan

Posted by travelingchinese on 4/7/2009 at 03:20

Has anyone had any experience with Indochina Sails for a two day, one night Halong Bay tour? Is the tour operator Handspan an operator for Indochina sails (the junks have the same names and look similar in the photos)? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,663 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 5/7/2009 at 06:29

Arranging a cruise from Halong City?

Posted by TomSawyer on 1/7/2009 at 18:48

I plan to head to Halong City from Nanning China by bus, in just under 2 weeks. I arrive early afternoon can I arrange a cruise once I get there (for that day) or should I pre-arrange something first? I'm Australian, want something OK, sort of middle of the range not too fancy but not feral either, can anyone suggest anything and what prices to expect for a 2-3 night cruise? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,252 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by TomSawyer on 2/7/2009 at 17:36

critique my 3 week itinerary please

Posted by smash on 21/6/2009 at 12:15

hi all in the early planning stages of a trip around SE Asia. pretty restricted time wise so just working out the details now to fit in. first part of itinerary (nth) is quite hectic... day 1 - fly into Hanoi from Hong Kong day 2 - hanoi day 3 - overnight train to sapa day 4 - sapa day 5 - overnight train to hanoi day 6 - straight out to an overnight halong bay tour day 7 - hanoi day 8 - hue day 9 - hue day 10 - hue day 11 - hoi an day 12 - hoi an day 13 - hoi an day 14 - nh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,414 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by smash on 2/7/2009 at 15:41

HCMC to Phnom Penn via Can Tho & Pho Quoc

Posted by KatieI on 2/7/2009 at 05:09

Hello .. My boyfriend and I are arriving in HCMC around 22nd October. We plan on staying in the city for 3/4 nights and then would like to travel to Can Tho, Pho Quoc then onto Phnom Penn. All pre-arranged tours look fairly pricey when comparing to DIY. Also after reading many of the forums there seem to be loads of 'fake' tour operators. Can anyone suggest either a reputable operator or if DIY is the way to go? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,330 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 2/7/2009 at 10:29

One Way Ticket from korea to ho chi minh city can do i need visa for 15 day stay only?

Posted by PaKaLoloz on 19/6/2009 at 12:24

i have a friend from korea shes coming to Ho Chi Minh City and i was wondering if one way ticket can she get into vietnam because shes only staying for 14 days and koreans can come to vietnam without visas for 15 days with no visas Please help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,828 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 30/6/2009 at 15:36

Mai Chau, Halong Bay or Sapa?

Posted by mhlow on 28/6/2009 at 18:53

Hey. My girlfriend and i are going to spend 6 nights in Hanoi. We've narrowed it down to doing 2 out of the 3 places above. Any suggestions?? Also, has anyone had any experience with Trekkingtravel tour agency for tours to Halong Bay? Heard it isn't too bad. It seems Columbus tours is pretty good but just a bit to expensive for us. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,727 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 29/6/2009 at 12:25

Muong Lay - Lai Chau, which is which now?

Posted by anhluc on 27/6/2009 at 01:45

I'm still a bit confused an I know somebody has the answer. Is the old Lai Chau which is closer to Sa Pa on the map, now or is it going to be Muong Lay ? Or, is Muong Lay which is closer to Dien Bien on the map, now or is it going to be Lai Chau. I guess the easier question is which one is going to be under water soon and is the sight of the hydro electric plant and dam? Just a stretch here, but does anyone know the travel time between Dien Bien to Muong Lay, Muong Lay to Lai Chau, an ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,675 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/6/2009 at 08:06

ho chi minh, da lat, nah trang

Posted by eml924 on 22/6/2009 at 18:18

Im thinking of hiring a scooter and riding from ho chi minh to nah trang for a couple of days via da lat and then head back. Has anyone done this? or know if its possible? or would it be easier for me to just get a bus or train or fly. was thinking the bike would be more fun and the best way to take in the sights. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,419 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/6/2009 at 08:04

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page