Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Thoughts on my Vietnam itinerary

Posted by Rohan on 16/6/2009 at 10:38

I will be traveling to Vietnam with a side trip to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat in late December/January. This will be my first trip to South East Asia. I am interested in the cultural and historical side of the countries rather than lounging around on beaches and partying. I also have a strong interest in trying the regional cuisine, and am looking at getting some clothes tailored in Hoi An. I am thinking of the following itinerary: 27/12 - Arrive Saigon 28/12 - Saigon, O/N train to H ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,367 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by ngg18 on 22/6/2009 at 14:33

Halong Bay to Danang and Hue

Posted by davidfoley on 17/6/2009 at 04:10

Does ayone know if it is possible togo from Halong Bay to Danang or Hue without going back to Hanoi Bus or Taxi Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,839 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by davidfoley on 19/6/2009 at 01:37

Danang To Phnom Penh

Posted by davidfoley on 17/6/2009 at 17:21

Does anyone know if you can fly from Danang to phnom penh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,521 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 18/6/2009 at 06:43

Vietnam by (motor)bike

Posted by PrincessSimon on 16/6/2009 at 19:47

I'm looking to explore bits of Vietnam by bike and/or motorbike. I get the impression that parts of Vietnam (which are more inland, eg Sapa) are too hilly for biking. Can anyone please tell me which areas of Vietnam are impossible (or impractical) to visit by bike/motorbike? Many thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,920 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 17/6/2009 at 06:03

The halong bay tour, what time do you get back?

Posted by themeag on 15/6/2009 at 22:20

Hello, i'm just in the process of booking my flight from Hanoi to leung prabang. But i'm not sure if i were to book a 3 day tour of Halong bay, what time i would get back on the third day, as the flight i'm looking at leaves at 18.25. Would this be late enough or am i pushing it! any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Stevie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,781 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 16/6/2009 at 19:25

Have anyone used Vietnam Silkroad Travel to buy airline ticket are they trust worthy?

Posted by PaKaLoloz on 16/6/2009 at 16:42

i just talked to a travel agent from there and i am about to send money to his bank account to buy the ticket but just want to be extra sure please help! THANKS ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,992 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 16/6/2009 at 19:19

Hanoi Backpackers - Accommodation and Tours

Posted by EmjayReet on 13/6/2009 at 13:27

Hi Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the above place, and/or used their tours for Halong Bay and Sapa? Experiences from fellow travellers would be greatly appreciated Reet ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,015 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by EmjayReet on 14/6/2009 at 22:11

how to get to da lat

Posted by uktravelman on 11/6/2009 at 22:35

hi please can someone tell me the best wat to get to da lat from nah trang , i will be arriving in nah trang about 21.00 on a monday night and want to go next morning thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,385 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 13/6/2009 at 09:32

Getting from Phan Rang/Thap Cham to Da Lat

Posted by satori_kicks on 10/6/2009 at 07:44

Hi all, I was wondering what is the best/easiest way to get from Phan Rang/Thap Cham to Da Lat? I see there are buses...what other ways can I make the trip between the two place, how long might it take, and how much may it set me back? Me and my mate (a coupla Kiwis) will be in Vietnam in September. Thanks, Ben. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,129 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by satori_kicks on 13/6/2009 at 05:43

How many days HCMC -Da LAt- Nha Trang- HCMC

Posted by jmgh on 17/5/2009 at 19:52

Hi We have 10 days in Vietnam in late Sept and would like to see some countryside. Da Lat and Nha Trang appeal, can anyone advise if it is possible to see both places, I thought we could travel on the night train from HCMC to Nha Trang 2 nights there then the bus to Da Lat overnight there then back to HCMC. we are into the sights(not war related)the food and shopping also whats not to be missed in Ho Chi Minh City we've only booked our first 2 night accomodition so far. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,554 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 12/6/2009 at 09:21

Advice for family -Halong Bay tour in August

Posted by happytraveller03 on 9/6/2009 at 05:51

We (2 adults, 2 children 5 and 13) are going to be in Hanoi in early August and would love to do a 2day/1night tour to Halong Bay. Am I best booking direct with a tour operator and not through a possibly doggy travel agent? If so, any recommendations of who to use? Preferably not a budget operator as I would prefer to pay extra for less hassle and a better chance of enjoying the experience. Also any operators who go to the less crowded parts of the area, if that is possible. Th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,638 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by happytraveller03 on 11/6/2009 at 18:57

WARNING: Faked Sinh Cafe Ha Noi

Posted by Nax on 21/1/2009 at 18:58

We recently bought a ticket from a faked Sinh Cafe in Ha Noi. As we already knew these traps are around, we followed the Lonely Planet Map (latest edition) which guided us straight into the hands of Mr. Hai. He showed us a Sinh Cafe ticket, which we were told is waiting for us on the bus. It happened three stops later on some bus by "Camel Travel". Shit happens and it's okay when you got yourself into it, but we were very p***** off with LP. Watch out everyone. Because who doesn't use LP ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,839 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 10/6/2009 at 16:50

1 week in Hanoi - can I fit in Sapa and Halong?

Posted by Doggins on 15/4/2009 at 18:53

Hi guys will be arriving in Hanoi in the afternoon of Tuesday 2nd of June will be leaving around the 9th Halong Bay is a definate, but will we fit in a trip to Sapa as well? Is this too much?: Tuesday, 2 June 2009 Kuala Lumpur - Hanoi Wednesday, 3 June 2009 Hanoi - Halong Bay Thursday, 4 June 2009 Halong Bay Friday, 5 June 2009 Halong Bay - Hanoi Saturday, 6 June 2009 Hanoi (dep) Sunday, 7 June 2009 Sapa (arr) Monday, 8 June 2009 Sapa (dep) Monday, 9 June 2008 Hanoi (arr) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,779 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 10/6/2009 at 04:59

ROAD DISASTER: DBP + SURROUNDS

Posted by brucemoon on 21/4/2009 at 20:24

Hi I'm alerting travelers to a ROAD DISASTER. Let me explain. Last year (October) I travelled from SaPa to HaNoi via Dien Bien Phu [DBP]. Except for a few road re-alignments, the road from SaPa to DBP was sort of OK. Narrow and a bit rough at times, but OK and scenic. From DBP to SonLa on the highway to HaNoi was a disaster. From SonLa to HaNoi was OK to good. The VN gov't had decided to make the highway from DBP to HaNoi a fast 4 lane road. The mountainous terrian meant t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,028 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 13:58

Mosquito repellant advice

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/6/2009 at 05:54

Hi, fellow travellers I was confronted with a dilemma regarding mosquito repellant. Here, in Australia, DEET is no longer readily available. I did a bit of research, and posted on the 'Health' page. Today I discovered some alarming facts about DEET. You may also be interested: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/3962_deet-or-picaridn- Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,000 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 8/6/2009 at 02:52

Advice Laos to Vietnam

Posted by benhopes on 6/6/2009 at 21:33

Hi, I'm off to Thailand and Laos in July and wanted some advice on the best way to get to Vietnam from Laos and where to go in Vietnam. Would it be best getting a flight, and if so which airline? I don't want to spend too long there but would like to see some of the old war sites and the tunnels they used to build. Any help appreciated Cheers Ben ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,777 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by kkkookie on 7/6/2009 at 20:35

Help contacting hotel in HCMC

Posted by trimetrov on 3/6/2009 at 06:56

I'm trying to pre-book a room with Quyen Thanh Hotel in Saigon and am having no luck getting hold of them. Does anyone know a working email address for them? Have you stayed there recently and know if they're still open? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,479 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by trimetrov on 3/6/2009 at 20:43

Guide and sites in Vietnam

Posted by stanang on 24/5/2009 at 17:46

Hi! Me and my friends are planning to go to Vietnam and Cambodia. In Vietnam, we will be going to HCMC. I was wondering if any of you would happen to know if there are any english speaking local tour guide that we can get to bring us around HCMC to see different places? I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,455 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by stanang on 3/6/2009 at 11:17

Vietnam Visa

Posted by timeeee on 4/5/2009 at 19:55

Hi, I'm in the UK and travelling to Saigon on 15th June and trying to get a visa sorted. I need a multiple entry 3 month visa and emailed the UK vietnam embassy who told me overall including postage of passport would cost me £106. However was looking at these 'visa's on arrival' thorough Visa-Vietnam.org where you get a confirmation letter sent via email and get this stamped on arrival at the airpiort (which apparently will only cost me £57). Has anyone used this before? Is it reliable? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,801 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by timeeee on 3/6/2009 at 11:11

hcmc airport facilities, shops, internet, cafes?

Posted by laallee on 29/5/2009 at 21:26

we have a few hours to waste in hcmc airport waiting for a connecting flight to nha trang. are the shops, cafes, toilets etc cool. also will we be able to purchase a local sim card in the airport. thanks, lee. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,437 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 3/6/2009 at 10:43

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page