Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Travel Nha Trang to Hoi An

Posted by sabresail on 6/4/2009 at 19:12

We are open to suggestions as to the best way to travel North from Nha Trang to Hoi An. At almost 600 kms it has to take a long time so guess either express bus or train are the only options. What is your experience/preference? How long in the bus or how long in the train for thetrip? Any comment on bus comfort or discomfort and if you can avoid the on bus karioke. We are mature age. Your comments and help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Sabresail. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,988 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ChrZap1703 on 10/4/2009 at 15:09

Chau Doc to Phu Quoc

Posted by TheGoose on 8/4/2009 at 17:02

Hi, I'll be coming from Cambodia and crossing into Vietnam at the Chau Doc crossing in a couple of weeks. How easy is it to move onto Phu Quoc? Any tour operators in Shianoukville offer packages? Thanks in advance! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,098 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/4/2009 at 10:45

Vietnam to Islands in South Thailand?

Posted by emcdowell on 6/4/2009 at 07:36

Hi, Travelling to South Vietnam in June and was wondering if there is a boat direct to the Islands (KoPanang etc)in Thailand. If possible i dont want to have to go via Bangkok as i would be backtracking! Any advice would be much appreciated! cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,354 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/4/2009 at 16:24

Vietnam and Cambodia??

Posted by piglet44 on 7/4/2009 at 02:00

Trying to plan a trip to Vietnam,and can't decide whether to include Cambodia. We have to decide if we should fly directly to either Hanoi or HCMC and then spend 3 weeks travelling and then on to Siem Reap (and then we would have to backtrack to our departure point for return flight) or to fly into Bangkok ,and then go first to Cambodia and on to Vietnam,and then again we have to return to BKK to fly home. It seems too complicated. Is it too rushed to do this in one trip?Is it practical to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,560 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by piglet44 on 7/4/2009 at 12:58

Long term stay

Posted by jarb on 31/3/2009 at 19:33

Hi All, Im looking at living in vietnam for the second half of this year while i study. Im a keen kitesurfer and so need to be next to a decent beach. I was wondering where the best spot would be where i could find a cheap beach bungalow/shack, good nightlife and of course a good beach. Also im looking at living on roughly $20/day, everything included, and wondering if this is practicle. Any info/advice is appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,478 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 7/4/2009 at 11:38

Leaving Baggage in HCMC airport

Posted by keatherley on 5/4/2009 at 13:39

Hello Everyone, Okay so I currently living in Vietnam (DaNang) and have been for 7 months. My boyfriend and I are traveling to Thailand before going home to Canada in September. We don't want to bring the years worth of luggage we have accumulated and want to know if we can store it at the airport in Saigon. If so, how much does it cost? Is it safe? If not, any suggestions? I really want to book my flight back to Canada, but I need to figure this out first! Thanks so much, Karen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,258 times, with no replies.

Buses to Laos

Posted by lodge on 16/3/2009 at 17:09

Does anyone know the best way to get straight to Luang Prabang from Hanoi? I've been looking around at buses and I've heard stories of buses starting at Hanoi, and instead of just going straight across, they go all the way down to Vinh, then going to Vientiene then go up to Luang Prabang. This seems like a ridiculous detour. Anyone know of any direct routes other than flying there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,541 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by lodge on 2/4/2009 at 17:37

Mekong Delta and Cambodia

Posted by Stigron on 16/3/2009 at 16:24

We are travelling in 3 weeks to Saigon then on to Ankor Wat. My agent in HaNoi has told me ....""Mekong : you will need a guide tour anyway cause you cant organise the boat trip..etc yourselves. And in Siemreap: you still have to hire a guide and car to visit temples. "" I would prefer to do this independantly as the cost and "dumb tourist" values are quite high. We're experienced with Sth east Asia and I'd love some tips about getting from siagon - can tho-chau doc. I believ its a g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,048 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 2/4/2009 at 08:07

Phu Quoc

Posted by Glhaskell on 1/4/2009 at 07:16

I am traveling to Phu Quoc in April after traveling through southern Vietnam, what is an amazing place to stay. Pool? Private? Beach access? Good people, Good food? I have been looking, but i trust your advise more. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,329 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Glhaskell on 1/4/2009 at 22:43

April climate in Sapa

Posted by dmandel on 28/3/2009 at 23:42

Hi, We will be spending April in northern Vietnam and Laos. In particular, we are hoping to spend a few days trekking in Sapa and also northern Laos. How cold is it likely to get at night in the Sapa area in April? We are trying to decide if we need to bring warm clothing. Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,708 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by dmandel on 30/3/2009 at 22:59

Hotel deposit, especially for a long(er)-term stay?

Posted by mschloe on 25/3/2009 at 01:05

What's a standard hotel deposit, particularly for for a longish stay? I'm trying to book a room for the month of April and another room for just one week that month (at the same hotel). Because I'm being asked to send the money via PayPal to what appears to be a personal account (ie., not specifically for the hotel), I want to make sure the transaction and my reservation are legitimate. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,234 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Alanpham on 30/3/2009 at 22:41

How Challening is Fansipan

Posted by ChrZap1703 on 16/3/2009 at 20:00

Hi All ! I'm going to Vietnam in a couple of days and I'll spend the first two weeks travelling the country with a mate, but for the last week, I plan to go to Sapa for some trekking. I took a look at various companies offering virtually all the same trek around the villages, but now I came across ET Pumpkin, which also offer treks up to Mount Fansipan. Doing this seems really tempting, I just thought maybe some people who have done Fansipan could give me some advice on how challenging it a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,827 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by dageshi on 30/3/2009 at 19:15

Hotel in Hanoi - Cinnamon

Posted by Blackberry on 26/3/2009 at 11:17

Hi, Has anyone stayed at Cinnamon Hotel in Hanoi? Wondering if it is worth staying there. If anyone has recommendations for hotels below US100, that will be great. Cinnamon costs US75. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,588 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Blackberry on 30/3/2009 at 11:24

First time going to Vietnam - spur of the moment

Posted by seany on 28/3/2009 at 22:30

I've decided to go to Vietnam in a few days for a short trip, I'm in Singapore at the moment just came back from Thailand and decided to stay a week here before heading back to Australia. There are cheap flights to Saigon/Hanoi - I'm after a pretty specific experience though as I plan to explore this country a bit more later on this year. Basically I would like to stay at or near a monastery in the south where I could just have some real peace and quiet to myself for awhile. Anyone have a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,654 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 29/3/2009 at 16:47

Highway 6 road conditions

Posted by sdevlin on 28/3/2009 at 02:53

I'm planning to see the northwest by motorbike in January 2010 and am wondering what the road conditions will be like. I've heard highway 6 is currently undergoing major upgrades. Has this made the Hanoi - Sapa journey problematic? Any info about weather conditions at that time of year would also be appreciated. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,802 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 29/3/2009 at 15:25

Vietnam travel over Labour Day (May 1st)/ Pre booking Halong Bay

Posted by alexinchina on 26/3/2009 at 20:53

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Vietnam on 30th April/ 1st May. Can anyone give me any advice re how much my trip is likely to be affected by the Labour Day holiday? Would it be a good idea to pre-book a trip to Halong Bay due to this complication or is that unnecessary? And advice would be greatly appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,885 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by alexinchina on 28/3/2009 at 10:07

Fellow Treckers for Sapa from April 5th ?

Posted by ChrZap1703 on 26/3/2009 at 19:10

Hi there ! I plan to trek Sapa for five to six days from April 5th, either doing a Sapa Valley or a Mount Fansipan Tour with one of the local operators. So if anybody out there would like to join me, feel free to send me a PM. Cheers, Christoph ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,218 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ChrZap1703 on 27/3/2009 at 14:22

blackberry phone vietnam very cheap

Posted by sayadian on 16/3/2009 at 15:36

Can anyone tell me if the blackberry phones here in Vietnam, which are very cheap, can be used in Europe.(specifically in the UK) Apparently they are cheap because they are made here. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,010 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by tungbgs on 27/3/2009 at 01:08

What time does Vietnam Airlines shuttle bus from Hanoi airport to Head Office run until?

Posted by Lornie on 26/3/2009 at 12:35

I fly into Hanoi airport tonight at around 8pm. Will the shuttle bus still be running at that time? I'm a bit worried about taking a different means of transport after some of the stories I have heard. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,251 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 27/3/2009 at 00:39

Long-ish term stay in Nha Trang

Posted by unclezmuda on 14/2/2009 at 16:30

Hello, We are planning to settle for maybe 8 weeks somewhere beachy in Vietnam - the obvious choice seems to be Nha Trang but with neither of us ever having been to Vietnam are open to suggestions? Also wondering if anyone knows anything about the chances of us renting something longish term for cheap price close to beach? Any hints tips for our long stay at the beach are most welcome. tx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,746 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by dageshi on 24/3/2009 at 17:52

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page