Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Dong Van

Posted by chocolatenomad on 9/1/2009 at 13:30

Hi, I am travelling to Vietnam on Feb 13th and about a week or so later will go to Hanoi. I am planning to keep a couple of days for Hanoi and then go on to visit Dong Van Highlands in the Ha Giang Province. Its about 350 km from Hanoi. Problem is, that's all I know about it, apart from the fact that its an astounding and spectacular place filled with streams and mountains. So here are my questions: Has anyone been to this placE? How do you get there? Stay options How many days do ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,220 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by chocolatenomad on 14/1/2009 at 10:30

Take motorbike on ferry Rach Gia - Phu Quoc

Posted by stiginge on 13/1/2009 at 23:02

Is this possible? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,584 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 14/1/2009 at 07:22

Rat holes and ladders

Posted by paulfarcher on 13/1/2009 at 11:20

You are staying at a good hotel, say $45 / night. Your helpful host offers to book a similar hotel for you at the next destination - you pay a 'deposit', usually $10 / night. The next hotel is not quite so good - still OK though. YOu want to avoid hassles at the next place so again you ask the hotel to book ahead - $10 deposit and away you go. The next hotel is basically a rat hole but you are committed and get out ASAP the next day. It's like a chain letter - you donate $10 to hotel keepers and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,465 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc - Siem Reap Overland- fast & cheap!

Posted by Isobel_123 on 9/1/2009 at 06:10

Hello, After much searching on this website and others I have not been able to find updated information regarding this journey overland, now that the border at Ha Tien is open to foreigners... My partner and I are wanting the fastest overland way for this route.. can this be done in a day? All info regarding costs, time for each leg and frequency of departures would be really helpful! So far with info already gathered the fastest is: Fly Phu Quoc- Rach Gia (Vietnam Air for A$22, take ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,930 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/1/2009 at 11:44

Train Travel during Tet Festival

Posted by sidhupi on 9/1/2009 at 04:07

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Vietnam during the Tet festival.As per the itenary, we plan to leave Ha Noi by SE3 for Da Nang on 27 January night and then leave Da Nang for Sai Gon on 29 January. I heard getting tickets during the Tet season is very tough especially at this late hour ie 15 days before the journey. Is it still possible to get tickets if i book now? if so, how do i go about it. What are the other travel alternatives that i can use for this journey. PLease Advice. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,613 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/1/2009 at 11:38

Shipping from Vietnam????

Posted by stewcon on 30/12/2008 at 12:53

I was wondernig if anyone has any advice for shipping (clothing, lanterns, new shoes) from Vietnam. I'm heading to Hue and want to send stuff to Canada from there. Also, would it be smarter to lug it through Laos and Northern Thailand in hopes of an easier time shipping (or cheaper) in Bangkok??? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,723 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by milpho85 on 2/1/2009 at 13:29

Train from Danang to Hue?

Posted by Flymarbles on 24/12/2008 at 16:00

Hello I am wondering if it is necessary to pre-book train tickets form Danang to Hue? If so what is the best way to go about it? Thanks again ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,966 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 31/12/2008 at 17:05

Christmas and New Yr in Vietnam

Posted by MarkHall on 15/12/2008 at 19:10

Hi, I'm going to be in Vietnam for Christmas and New Yr, any suggestions where would be a good place to spend them?? Cheers. Mark ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,456 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by milpho85 on 31/12/2008 at 13:15

Pham Ngu Lao...?

Posted by neetiparekh on 8/12/2008 at 16:19

Has anyone stayed in Pham Ngu Lao? I hear its similar to Khao San road in Bangkok but I never stay on Khao San road because I think it's really skeezy (no offense). Can anyone tell me if it is comparable? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,772 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by annalaura on 31/12/2008 at 07:01

tailor in hoi an

Posted by annalaura on 2/12/2008 at 03:03

hi - can anyone recommend a good quick (cheapish) tailor in hoi an? how much approximately does it cost to get like a shirt or a dress made and how quickly can they do it?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,099 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by annalaura on 31/12/2008 at 06:51

Accommodation Recommendations-Various Locations

Posted by littlemisstypeA on 29/12/2008 at 01:38

I will be traveling with some friends in Vietnam in March. We will be staying at Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Hanoi. Can anyone recommend decent budget accommodations for each location? I would prefer beachfront where applicable. I'm especially having trouble finding budget beachfront in Nha Trang. Thanks for the help! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,022 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/12/2008 at 05:57

Tet

Posted by thethirdman on 28/12/2008 at 14:52

Hey all. Ok im living in Hanoi and would like to travel over Tet but was wondering if this is possible or whether the country virtually shuts down for the week? Many thanks.... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,425 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/12/2008 at 05:53

family biking in vietnam

Posted by merrell on 28/12/2008 at 21:49

Has anyone had experience with biking tours in vietnam? We're a family of 3 with an 11 year old son and we're interested in a few bike tours- mekong delta, maybe central vietnam. I'd like some recommendations. If you've biked on a tour, were there kids also on the tour and what was your experience... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,767 times, with no replies.

Air booking--how far in advance?

Posted by AdamS on 24/12/2008 at 23:39

I am arriving in Hanoi Jan 7. I need to go to SGN sometime between Jan 10-11, but would like to keep my travel plans flexible. Will I have to pay substantially more if I wait to book my flight until I get there? I am being quoted $95 US right now for the flight, which seems like a fair price...the agent is asking me to confirm ASAP--I am not sure if this is because they want the sale, or if flights are filling up fast in the days leading up to Tet. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,374 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/12/2008 at 07:22

hanoi to hong kong flight

Posted by tomlo1981 on 24/12/2008 at 20:39

hi i need to fly from hanoi to hong kong at the start of April 09 (between 01/04 and 03/04). I've decided to fly as haven't arranged a china visa and didn't include a tour of china in my itinerary i'm a UK citizen my question is when is the best time to purchase this one way flight ticket? i leave the UK for Thailand on 2/1/09 and am travelling south through malaysia, indonesia, australia, then planning to return to thailand travelling north to see Laos, cambodia and arrive in south vietnam t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,336 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/12/2008 at 07:18

Fligths from HCMC to PP

Posted by kuitara on 22/12/2008 at 12:23

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had experience booking airplane tickets from HCMC to Cambodia (Siem Reap especially). I haven't found any flights/dates available for when I am going. Is it possible to book flights once I get to HCMC? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,301 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 22/12/2008 at 23:36

Anton

Posted by Anton on 22/12/2008 at 02:59

We will be in Saigon over the (Western) New Years Eve. Could anybody suggest good places to celebrate and party? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,325 times, with no replies.

Flodding in Northern and Central Vietnam

Posted by aimeetaylor on 10/12/2008 at 19:51

I am travleeing to Vietnam for the first time in January and am really keen to make Hanoi my first stop, however I have read various reports online detailing the terriable flooding in nothern and central regions of vietnam and was wondering if anyone can advise whether it is appropriate and or possible to travel to the affected regions in the near future? Any details on affected areas who advise from anyone who has travelled there recently would be much appreciated! Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,150 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by niko on 20/12/2008 at 04:44

Veggies in Hanoi

Posted by Flo76 on 17/12/2008 at 18:33

Can any fellow vegetarians out there help my boyfriend find a good, cheap veggie joint in Hanoi? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,236 times, with no replies.

If I'll see the DMZ's Vinh Moc Tunnels, are the Cu Chi Tunnels still worth seeing?

Posted by dnovsky on 17/12/2008 at 08:45

If I'll see the DMZ's Vinh Moc Tunnels, are the Cu Chi Tunnels still worth seeing? I've read that the Cu Chi tunnels are touristy but interesting. Will they still be interesting if I have already been to the Vinh Moc tunnels at the DMZ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,549 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/12/2008 at 14:52

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page