Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Cooking course in HCMC or around

Posted by chaosclaire on 4/10/2008 at 17:02

Can anyone recommend a full-day cooking course in HCMC or around? (will travel, for example, to Vung Tau, Mekong Delta region for the right one) We're looking for a full day, or maybe even several days. Thanks! Claire ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,637 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chaosclaire on 6/10/2008 at 16:30

HCMC - Hanoi overland

Posted by frankyday on 30/9/2008 at 11:17

Folks, I am new to here and glad to have such an informative forum with all the useful information. My trip in Vietnam should be around mid Dec. And preliminary Itin as follow, see whether how you guys think:- Day0 - arriving HCMC evening time Day1-3 - HCMC and surrondings Day4-5 - Dalat Day6-7 - Nha Trang (night train to Hoi An) Day8-9 - Hoi An (night train to Hanoi) Day10 - Hanoi (I will miss Halong Bay anyway as I am not really keen on boating etc) Day11 - Go home. Personal ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,804 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by frankyday on 3/10/2008 at 08:19

2 weeks to kill in S.E.Asia. Where should i go????? before meeting mates and partying in thailand

Posted by somtam73 on 30/9/2008 at 23:14

Brill sight this so happy i stumbled across it. My names Di im from london and March 23rd next year im flying to Bangkok. Im so excited about travelling that ive got my nickers in a twist where to go as i only have 2 weeks SOLO before meeting my mates back in Bangkok to go island hopping/moon partying together in the south. I really dont know wether to go to Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos??? I have my head half buried in the lonely planet as we speak :O)) I only have 2 weeks what could i f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,802 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by doakey on 1/10/2008 at 03:30

Visa to China

Posted by TheRunningman on 8/9/2008 at 17:51

Hey, from January to June I want to travel by Bus n' Train from Malaysia to Europe. So I have to cross China. My Problem is to get a permission for a visa. I went to the Chinese Embassy here in Germany and they told me that I need flighttickets or in my case enter- and Exit-Traintickets. I want to Enter China from Vietnam by Train wich goes from Hanoi to Nanning. And I want to leave China by Train from Beijing to Irkutsk(Russia). I know that the chinese give Tourists Visa in Vietna ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,252 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by AandLtraveling on 27/9/2008 at 22:51

Learning French In Vietnam

Posted by suolib on 7/9/2008 at 15:28

Hi all Can anyone help, Im an English guy 45 yrs and will be travelling to Vietnam Nov 2008 - Mar 2009 and whilst on my travels I need to learn French as next year (2009) i wil be living and working in the south of France. Im happy to go to school or be taught privatley. also will french be widely spoken out there ? I prefer to be in thew south of Vietnam any information will be greatly recieved. Your advice and assistance is appreciated Regards Billy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,005 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by malthoff on 23/9/2008 at 13:11

Tip for Cai Be floating market

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:50

Arriving directly in Cai Be is a great way to visit the floating market. Small boats (2-3 people) are easily rented out to locals out of the tourism industry for 40 000 VND an hour. It cuts out an hour of unneccessary boat transport and lets you with the nice bits. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,300 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by rdavout on 16/9/2008 at 01:43

Photos in Ban Lien???

Posted by jlbrillet on 15/9/2008 at 19:19

Hello from Paris/ Hanoi. I stayed for 3 nights in Saomai hotel in Bac Ha in august 2007 (11-14). I rented a motorbike with a driver for three days, and I took a lot of pictures of markets and especially a village, about 25-30 kms from Bac Ha. I would like to send some pictures to the people in the village. I think they would be very happy, but I lost the address. I think the village is Ban Lien or around it.Can anybody help me? I would be quite grateful. If you want to identify it, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,425 times, with no replies.

which Country?

Posted by piglet44 on 13/8/2008 at 13:35

We have two weeks to travel in April. Which country would be the best bet? We like temples, scenery, people. Not looking for a tough trek more something "soft" but cultural. Have been to South India, China and Thailand in past trips and enjoyed all of them. Heard that the Vietnamese are not so friendly.Any comments? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,482 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by SBE on 14/9/2008 at 12:36

Best Travel Method in Vietnam/Cambodia

Posted by SikeMo on 13/8/2008 at 03:53

Hello, I am planning a Vietnam/Cambodia trip for October-November and was wondering what the general consensus was on travel within the countries. We are starting in Ha Noi and then continuing on to the Hue area, Ho Chi Minh, and then to Phnom Penh. Is it generally better to take overnight trains or book flights? Should I book in advance or wait until we get there? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,301 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by rdavout on 14/9/2008 at 01:13

Travel from Siem Reap to HCMC

Posted by Patrickx8 on 13/9/2008 at 08:48

What is recommended by land? how long? Can you fly? i am trying to manage the time of my trip ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,634 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rdavout on 14/9/2008 at 00:50

Mekong Delta - Tra Vinh

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:40

Tra Vinh is my absolute favourite in the Mekong Delta. Khmer presence is a notable factor and makes this laid-back provincial town worth a relaxing visit. Tra Vinh is visitable on a one-day bicycle trip. North to South: * "Den tho Bac Ho" - Oncle Ho memorial site. 5 km away. Lush countryside with the best views nearby but an absolute loss of time to visit. * Ong Met pagoda - on Dien Bien Phu. A 16th century Chinese temple which has completely lost its character during the last resto ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,299 times, with no replies.

Mekong Delta - Sa Dec

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:37

Sa Dec makes a decent stop in the Mekong Delta. It is seldom in any guide in spite of some attractions : - a relatively nice town organised around a canal - flower wholesale activities upstream (flower growers, traders, pots all over the place being charged on trucks) - interesting temples - nice views from up the cao dai temple's towers. Plus, Marguerite Duras lived in town and her novel "L'Amant"/"The Lover" begins there. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,863 times, with no replies.

Ba Be Lake, don't believe your LP...

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:20

These are travel notes so forgive the laconic style. TF staff wasn't helpful replying to my numerous contributions by email so I'll only let a few (the most useful) trickle on the web. "Ba Be lake" Major tourist trap (worse in 7 months in VN): low-value + easily get overcharged if you do not take care. Don't try the boat service: overcharged (9 times the average price in the Mekong Delta, no bargaining possible) and low-quality. Numerous noisy/drunk VN tourists, nonsense stops, etc. Ext ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,897 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:28

Hanoi international airport to Old Quarter

Posted by Bello on 11/9/2008 at 21:58

hi, can any 1 recommend on a good travelling way from hanoi airport to the old quarter. im plannin trip 2 hanoi, halong bay n sapa. any advise? thankyou bell ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,808 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 12/9/2008 at 23:53

frame shops??

Posted by JJcookie on 12/9/2008 at 13:32

has anyone had anything framed in Vietnam? pictures, posters, degrees, etc? I was curious if there were shops that do it here, prices, if the material is sustainable wood... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,593 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 12/9/2008 at 18:13

Flights - Hanoi to Vientiane

Posted by lah1308 on 9/9/2008 at 19:50

I am looking for flights from Hanoi to Vientiane in November and have found 2 places where I can buy them from. One is directly on the website which is more expensive than the other option, through Ocean Tours...I would go with Ocean Tours but they don't accept credit cards and form of payment. Does anyone know of anyone else I can organise tickets through, agents etc? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,815 times, with no replies.

Seaside retreat near HCMC

Posted by etucker on 8/9/2008 at 13:22

I am roughing it in Cambodia in Feb next year for 16 days and my trip is finishing in HCMC. I am looking for a nice seaside town to escape to for 2-3 nights to relax. Any suggestions? I would like to stay in the nearby area of HCMC to avoid long travel. I am a young female travelling solo so would love somewhere that still has a good social scene. Any spa resort reccommendations would be great too! Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,589 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 9/9/2008 at 14:16

Sapa rice terrace

Posted by kptn82 on 7/9/2008 at 20:50

Hi everyone I am trying to pin down the exact time when the rice field in Sapa is lush green. I remember the guide we had in Sapa last time said it would be sometimes in June, but a few places and TF saod best time is in September. I don't mind the weather, just want to trek through green rice fields and i've been to most villages already. Thanks for your help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,741 times, with no replies.

Hanoi Travels

Posted by bempec on 6/9/2008 at 18:35

Has anyone used a tour operator called Hanoi Travels? It operates out of Hanoi and is owned by an Australian names Bob Stevens. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,294 times, with no replies.

Local Tour Operators

Posted by Wyse11 on 26/6/2008 at 17:53

Hi All I have booked some tours direct with local tour operators for my upcoming trip to Vietnam. Before I hand over my hard earned cash for deposits etc, does anyone have any feedback regarding these operators/tours ? Handspan Travel: 2 day/1 night Meekong Delta Homestay Tropical Sails: 3 day/2 night Halong Bay cruise on the 'Red Dragon' junk Adventure Indochina Travel: 3 day/2 night Sapa town, Bac Ha market, Laocai Any feedback good or bad will be appreciated !! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,365 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 2/9/2008 at 21:19

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page