Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Mekong Delta - Tra Vinh

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:40

Tra Vinh is my absolute favourite in the Mekong Delta. Khmer presence is a notable factor and makes this laid-back provincial town worth a relaxing visit. Tra Vinh is visitable on a one-day bicycle trip. North to South: * "Den tho Bac Ho" - Oncle Ho memorial site. 5 km away. Lush countryside with the best views nearby but an absolute loss of time to visit. * Ong Met pagoda - on Dien Bien Phu. A 16th century Chinese temple which has completely lost its character during the last resto ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,338 times, with no replies.

Mekong Delta - Sa Dec

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:37

Sa Dec makes a decent stop in the Mekong Delta. It is seldom in any guide in spite of some attractions : - a relatively nice town organised around a canal - flower wholesale activities upstream (flower growers, traders, pots all over the place being charged on trucks) - interesting temples - nice views from up the cao dai temple's towers. Plus, Marguerite Duras lived in town and her novel "L'Amant"/"The Lover" begins there. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,900 times, with no replies.

Ba Be Lake, don't believe your LP...

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:20

These are travel notes so forgive the laconic style. TF staff wasn't helpful replying to my numerous contributions by email so I'll only let a few (the most useful) trickle on the web. "Ba Be lake" Major tourist trap (worse in 7 months in VN): low-value + easily get overcharged if you do not take care. Don't try the boat service: overcharged (9 times the average price in the Mekong Delta, no bargaining possible) and low-quality. Numerous noisy/drunk VN tourists, nonsense stops, etc. Ext ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,954 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:28

Hanoi international airport to Old Quarter

Posted by Bello on 11/9/2008 at 21:58

hi, can any 1 recommend on a good travelling way from hanoi airport to the old quarter. im plannin trip 2 hanoi, halong bay n sapa. any advise? thankyou bell ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,859 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 12/9/2008 at 23:53

frame shops??

Posted by JJcookie on 12/9/2008 at 13:32

has anyone had anything framed in Vietnam? pictures, posters, degrees, etc? I was curious if there were shops that do it here, prices, if the material is sustainable wood... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,622 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 12/9/2008 at 18:13

Flights - Hanoi to Vientiane

Posted by lah1308 on 9/9/2008 at 19:50

I am looking for flights from Hanoi to Vientiane in November and have found 2 places where I can buy them from. One is directly on the website which is more expensive than the other option, through Ocean Tours...I would go with Ocean Tours but they don't accept credit cards and form of payment. Does anyone know of anyone else I can organise tickets through, agents etc? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,829 times, with no replies.

Seaside retreat near HCMC

Posted by etucker on 8/9/2008 at 13:22

I am roughing it in Cambodia in Feb next year for 16 days and my trip is finishing in HCMC. I am looking for a nice seaside town to escape to for 2-3 nights to relax. Any suggestions? I would like to stay in the nearby area of HCMC to avoid long travel. I am a young female travelling solo so would love somewhere that still has a good social scene. Any spa resort reccommendations would be great too! Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,609 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 9/9/2008 at 14:16

Sapa rice terrace

Posted by kptn82 on 7/9/2008 at 20:50

Hi everyone I am trying to pin down the exact time when the rice field in Sapa is lush green. I remember the guide we had in Sapa last time said it would be sometimes in June, but a few places and TF saod best time is in September. I don't mind the weather, just want to trek through green rice fields and i've been to most villages already. Thanks for your help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,751 times, with no replies.

Hanoi Travels

Posted by bempec on 6/9/2008 at 18:35

Has anyone used a tour operator called Hanoi Travels? It operates out of Hanoi and is owned by an Australian names Bob Stevens. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,316 times, with no replies.

Local Tour Operators

Posted by Wyse11 on 26/6/2008 at 17:53

Hi All I have booked some tours direct with local tour operators for my upcoming trip to Vietnam. Before I hand over my hard earned cash for deposits etc, does anyone have any feedback regarding these operators/tours ? Handspan Travel: 2 day/1 night Meekong Delta Homestay Tropical Sails: 3 day/2 night Halong Bay cruise on the 'Red Dragon' junk Adventure Indochina Travel: 3 day/2 night Sapa town, Bac Ha market, Laocai Any feedback good or bad will be appreciated !! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,389 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 2/9/2008 at 21:19

Chosing a cloth shop in Hoi An

Posted by berendino on 10/8/2008 at 18:40

Hi My wife and I stayed a few days in Hoi An in july 2008. Hoi An has a lot of cloth shops. The question was where should we go? In restaurants and hotels you get a lot of cards.Of course, i think, they get commission. Yali cards we got most. So we ordered short pants at Yali, and the sameone at a shop at 50 Tran Hung Dao treet( we walked along and got inside). Yali asked after bargaining $18 and nr.49 $11. Nr 50 pants were very good in one time. To Yali we had to go 4 times back and asked our ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,452 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by LLLUCY on 1/9/2008 at 23:27

low cost airlines

Posted by taubers on 21/7/2008 at 18:50

are there any other low cost airlines in vietnam except jetstar????? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,679 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by redgum on 1/9/2008 at 12:18

First time to Vietnam & Cambodia

Posted by audrienne on 1/9/2008 at 08:01

I am planning my trip to Vietnam and cambodia for this coming November. At the moment my itinerary based on North going to South ( from Hanoi, we will travel to Ho Chi Minh, and then cross border to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and then take plane from SR to bangkok before we are flying back home to Melbourne) However, as I am wondering would it be easier and cheaper if I go from Siem reap to Phnom Penh and then cross border to HCM and going north. And from Hanoi take plane to Bangkok. Is air ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,574 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by audrienne on 1/9/2008 at 08:50

NW Vietnam - Current Road Conditions?

Posted by koparsons on 26/8/2008 at 23:56

Hi there- Has anyone biked all or part of the NW loop since the landslides? Wondering what condition the roads are in at present, as we are hoping to hit that circuit this weekend. Any info would be appreciated -- thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,386 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc - what is it REALLY like?

Posted by VickyJoseph on 3/5/2008 at 06:32

We are planning to go to Phu Quoc for 6 days at the end of a 17 day holiday this Christmas. I've read in several places how beautiful and unspoiled etc it is but have just read a report on Trip Advisor saying it's dirty and polluted and not all it's cracked up to be. Has anyone actually been there who could give me another opinion? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,613 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by Manticore on 22/8/2008 at 19:05

Phu Quoc in September

Posted by Spacey on 12/6/2008 at 19:40

Hi, I'm thinking of going to Phu Quoc for a few days in September does anyone know what the weathers likely to be like at time of year? Any recommendations of where to stay would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,956 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Manticore on 22/8/2008 at 18:59

Flight From Hong Kong or Macau to Saigon

Posted by Peekay on 22/8/2008 at 02:24

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get from Hong Kong to Saigon? I checked out Viva Macau and they have flights from Macau to Saigon starting at 30$USD. Does anyone know anyone know of any cheap flights from HK to Saigon? The only ones I can find are from Kayak starting at 370 $USD. Does anyone have any experience traveling from Macau to Saigon? Lastly, should I book my tickets now for a September flight or wait till I'm in Macau to book? Thanks P.S. This site is great, and than ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,471 times, with no replies.

cheats in tam coc

Posted by ah_hoay on 20/8/2008 at 10:30

We follow the tour organized by Ocean Tour to this Tam Coc place for $49 per person. We've been separated to 2 people per boat with an old guy rowing boat and her daughter. The vietnamese lady that are selling drinks and food is trying to persuade us to buy drinks. They use our "pitiness" to get us buy drinks for the vietnamese that is rowing the boat for us by saying... "Look how hot they are... buy for them..." so, we felt in the trap this one time. After that, on the journey back, the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,456 times, with no replies.

when leave Phu Quoc to HCMC / flying out of HCMC

Posted by gromi1705 on 24/7/2008 at 01:35

Dear all, can anybody advise if it is ok the take the plane before the last on to HCMC? My flight out of HCMC leaves at 8pm The plane before the last one leaves at 1:25 (1 hour flight) the last one at 2:20. How is the weather in NOVEMEBER / how are the chances the plane will not leave? Would you leave earlier or eaven a day before? As Phu Quoc will be the end of some weeks of traveiling I do not really want to stay the last night and day "in town". Many thanks in advance for every advise! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,302 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by neosho on 16/8/2008 at 03:44

Going to Vietnam March 2009

Posted by abellim on 7/8/2008 at 16:44

Hi everyone! AirAsia were giving free tickets in May 2008 so I booked a ticket to Vietnam and Cambodia next year. As I was looking up travel information I came across this wonderful site. Research is ongoing so I will ask when I have any questions that I am unsure of. Hanoi Youth Hotel has 4 dorm beds at USD5. How early in advance do I have to book to secure a bed? If it happens that the beds are sold-out, what other good hostels nearby (along the same street) that offers quality at less t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,383 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 15/8/2008 at 01:32

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page