Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Itinerary help!

Posted by wgiles1 on 14/7/2008 at 11:53

Hello, I am very new to this website, so please forgive my ignorance. I was just informed that I am going backpacking through Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand next month! I am flying into Hong Kong on August 21st and will spend 4 days there, and then on August 25th will begin my trek in Vietnam. All that I know for sure is that I must be in Thailand for the Full Moon party by Sept. 11th or so. Would anyone mind helping me form an itinerary? I know that I want to visit Angkor ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,516 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/7/2008 at 11:05

Anybody been to Xuan Loc?

Posted by NoratheExplorer on 19/6/2008 at 07:59

I'm writing a story set there without the benefit of traveling there myself. I have a lot of stories from my Vietnam-vet father to help me, but would appreciate any info about the size, look and feel of the place. How far to Saigon, what's the road like? Many thanks! Connie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,708 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by NoratheExplorer on 15/7/2008 at 10:48

really need vaccinations????

Posted by hippydiza on 22/6/2008 at 18:10

Hi,am doing the 3 week south to north trip leaving end of July including a few days in Sapa and really would rather not have vaccinations but would like to hear the opinions of others who have done it before me please....hippydiza ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,033 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by hippydiza on 13/7/2008 at 18:35

Alternative sea transport to Phu Quoc Island

Posted by steveontweed on 16/6/2008 at 08:30

I am reading some confusing accounts of getting to PQ island from the nearby coast. With 2 50 year old adults and 2 15 year old teenagers we are OK to try for something other than the fast ferries with everyone else (we would prefer anything else) but although good swimmers I don't want to take on anything dodgy/risky. Some accounts suggest fishing boats from Ba Hon (any other departure ports out there?) are OK, some suggest risky, others say downright foolhardy and most are dated a year or more ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,290 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 18:02

Yet another Halong tour question

Posted by bellowe on 8/7/2008 at 03:00

In Feb 08 we will be going to Hanoi. We are bringing 8 Canadians and will be joined by 2 Vietnamese local family members from central Vietnam bringing us to a total of 12. This should be enough people that I should be able to charter A Junk for a 3 day 2 night tour. I am looking to book in advance over the internet so I can try to minimize last minute surprises which always seem to happen in Vietnam. I am looking for a tour 100-150 dollar price range pp. After reading many posts, I understand ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,606 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 17:40

Left Luggage at Ho Chi Minh City Airport

Posted by HeatherL on 28/6/2008 at 13:42

Hi, Does anyone know if there is somewhere to store luggage overnight at Ho Chi Minh City Airport? Thanks, Heather ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,039 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 17:34

Vietnam Visa query

Posted by Flo76 on 27/6/2008 at 09:54

I want to go to Northern Vietnam for 2 weeks in August 08 then return January 09 for 30 days. Am I able to apply for two visas so close together? Is it possible to apply for a 6 month multi-entry visa to save doing it twice? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,554 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 16:59

cyber cafes in Sapa

Posted by metropical on 3/7/2008 at 10:26

are they as prolific in Sapa as they are in the major cities? Will I be able to upload photos or burn to CD? Or should I plan on bringing a laptop? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,374 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 14:01

Best way to get from Bangkok to Hoi an??

Posted by lucyloo on 6/7/2008 at 21:30

Hi all, trying to plan my return trip to beautifull vietnam in about 5 weeks that will start in bangkok (then maybe anywhere with a beach nearish i.e koh samet or koh chang for a lazy week!) then to Hoi an for 3weeks then back to bangkok, I wanted a direct route if poss-thought I could fly to Da-nang then taxi it to Hoi-an but I cant seem to get any flights without going through Hanoi -would really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,784 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 13:59

Bus Travel?

Posted by DrTomPhD on 10/7/2008 at 09:55

Hi all. I'll be making my asia debut this summer and I had a few questions about bus travel. I'll start out in Bangkok and will travel through cambodia to Hanoi and Fansipan. Here are my questions: 1. What is the fastest way to take the bus/train from bangkok to hanoi (and back)? 2. How much will this cost (1 way/round trip)? 3. How long does it take? Thanks in advance, guys! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,743 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 13:51

laundry service availability

Posted by metropical on 3/7/2008 at 07:39

easy to find in Nha Trang, HCMC & Hanoi? Or am I better off using hotels? Whats' a likely charge? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,588 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 13:44

Vietnam leg! first time traveller!

Posted by ee104 on 24/6/2008 at 18:30

I was hoping there was a vietnam expert floating around who had a spare 5 mins to help me out!! I have a plan below - but i am a little bit unsure of where to head in Vietnam- please let me know if there are any gems i have missed? I am very grateful!!!! :) Vietnam 14 days (approx- not strict) **fly to Hanoi £80 from Loas Hanoi to Halong Bay, night on boat? Back to Hanoi **This leg of the route i am unsure of? Fly Hanoi to Hue (----- OR fly to Da Nang – skip Hoi An and Hue) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,598 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by kongxh on 12/7/2008 at 23:15

Aug. 24th- end of Sept. Vietnam & Cambodia. Itinerary help :)

Posted by rsthomas on 11/7/2008 at 00:35

Greetings!! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. I am so excited!! For many years I have yearned to travel through Southeast Asia but have been held down by work. This year I finally said, "no more"...I am going darnit! And that is exactly what I am doing :) I am going to be traveling the 1st leg of my trip July 31st with two buddies from NY and SF. We are flying into Denpasar, Bali and staying for two weeks. From Bali, we fly into Bangkok and are going to head to Chiang Ma ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,585 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 12/7/2008 at 06:41

Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia

Posted by denny1974 on 4/7/2008 at 21:06

Help!Only have three weeks want to visit Thailand Vietnam and Cambodia all however may be too much flying etc so thinking only vietnam and thailand but feeling like I am missing out any suggestions ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,591 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 6/7/2008 at 18:59

Staying in Vietnam during Christmas New Year

Posted by Katie7982 on 24/6/2008 at 10:55

We are planning our first trip to Vietnam at the end of this year. We will be in Vietnam from about December 22- January 12. I know this is one of the peak times, so we were wondering how difficult it is to book hotels/transport around this time. Any advice is very welcome!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,875 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by goldilocks on 6/7/2008 at 07:16

Pacific Airlines booking help required

Posted by goldilocks on 18/5/2008 at 09:36

Iwould like to book tickets on Pacific airlines I have tried repeatedly to make contact to their website (from NZ). But all I ever get is a blue page stating loading and nothing comes up so I presume that they don't have online booking.Can anyone give me a reputable agent who will book a flight HCM to Nha Trang for me? I believe they are the cheapest for domestic flights?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,802 times, with 44 replies. Last reply by redgum on 5/7/2008 at 18:24

Hanoi train station

Posted by shakester on 31/3/2008 at 09:40

Hello fishers We'll be getting back to hanoi from our Halong Bay trip around 4/5pm. Plan to catch the train to Lao Cai the same evening. Was wondering if there's a luggae room at the station one can deposit bags? On the way beack, too we might have the day in hanoir waiting for an evening flight, so a facility like this would be good. thanks for the help! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,457 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by seahmj on 1/7/2008 at 11:09

Vietnam visa expired

Posted by ski on 12/6/2008 at 17:01

does anyone know what we should do...we got our visa for Vietnam through our hotel in Cambodia, we didn't check it at the time and our hotel in Vietnam has just pointed out to us that we have a D category (instead of the standard C category 1 month tourist visa), that gave us 2 weeks and it expired 2 days ago!! We have been told we will have to pay a $2million VND fine EACH for overstaying. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,087 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/6/2008 at 16:47

Halong Bay

Posted by Spacey on 30/4/2008 at 11:47

I know there's lots of messages about Halong Bay but I'm after some up todate info. I arrive in Hanoi next week and want to take a Halong Bay trip, I was looking at Santa Maria but they seem a bit pricey for a two night trip, any recommendations who to book through or the junks to try for? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,809 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by andrea73 on 25/6/2008 at 18:44

Saigon Vs Hanoi

Posted by Marney_47 on 25/6/2008 at 13:07

I have 1 week in Vietnam (8 days) and instead of cramming and making the mistake of rushing my travel (Nobody wants that) i have decided i will concerntrate on one area either Hanoi and its surrounding areas, Ha long Bay etc, or Saigon and its surrounding areas. Straight after i visit Vietnam im heading to Cambodia for a week so firstly it made sense for me to fly from Vietianne (Laos) to Saigon instead of goin out of my way to Hanoi and causing problems then trying to get to Phnom Penh from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,642 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 25/6/2008 at 18:27

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page