Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Phu Quoc: Mai House vs Beach Club Input Appreciated!

Posted by debburdick on 11/6/2008 at 11:08

Has anyone been to both of these to give a recommendation. I know they are both highly recommended so we will probably not go wrong. The Beach House looks great but I just found out Mai House added a Deluxe Beachfront Bungalow with a King bed. Beach house did not have any beachfront available, although I realize they are all very close to the beach. I have not seen many pictures but we do enjoy our privacy and lounging on our deck and will be celebrating our second anniversary while we are there ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,627 times, with no replies.

Sapa self guided or guided

Posted by metropical on 10/6/2008 at 00:29

I'm looking at 3 -4 days in both Sapa region and Luang Prabang area. Am I better off booking before I go or self guiding when there other than transport and hotels? I've been given one package price of $2600 which seems high. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,507 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by metropical on 11/6/2008 at 02:31

Floating markets

Posted by ngg18 on 7/6/2008 at 16:54

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the several floating markets in the Mekong delta would be most worthwhile visiting? I have read that there are floating markets at My Tho and Can Tho. Also does anyone know of a good website that lists all the various bus and boat options in the delta? Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,073 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by paradissatravel on 10/6/2008 at 17:02

~ Advise on Booking Tours in Sapa~

Posted by clemontz on 9/6/2008 at 14:08

Hi all, need some advise on my itinery in Sapa my group will be arriving in Lao Cai Station on a Tues morning.(yes sadly, we just can't make it intime for the sun markets). Tentatively, we would like to go to the Coc Ly tues market, and then Homestay at Ta Van. We would also like to visit Ban Ho, and several other tribal village, and spend the 2nd night in Sapa town itself. then the thurs morning visit Cat-Cat vilage, b4 returning to hanoi. However, the tours package online i found was a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,045 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by etulio on 9/6/2008 at 16:06

ATM's dispense what currency, $ or dong?

Posted by jourdin on 29/5/2008 at 15:07

I have seen conflicting stories about what ATM's dispense, dong and/or US dollars. What's the true story? Do some machines dispense two different currencies? How does one know what currency a machine dispenses? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,568 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:52

Hiking in Vietnam

Posted by burnthisnow on 26/5/2008 at 04:43

Hello all, I'm landing in Hanoi on June 4 and heading south through the country for a couple of weeks. I'm looking for a few opportunities to get up into some hills and away from the tourist hordes, but hiking information seems elusive. I'm an experienced hiker and climber, and I'll have all the basic equipment I'll need for the terrain and climate. I'm guessing northwest Vietnam and the Central Highlands are the best spots, but again, it's not too clear. I don't want trekking "tours" or gui ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,837 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:48

Boat to Quan Lan

Posted by Ehlen on 21/5/2008 at 21:32

Hello! I'd like to visit Quan Lan (or another island) in Bai Tu Long Bay. Does anyone knows what time the (local) boat leaves from Halong City and can you give some directions? All tips on islands, where to stay, etc are also welcome! Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,013 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:44

Vietnam & Cambodia

Posted by ajetj on 31/5/2008 at 03:02

Is is possible to do both Vietnam and Cambodia in 2 weeks??? We want to go to Ankor Wat ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,491 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:18

Hanoi - Siem Reap

Posted by eirie on 15/2/2008 at 18:41

Hello all! I'd like to travel from Bejing all the way down to Siem Reap, where I'll work for a charity over the summer. Do you think that will be possible/enjoyable in 3 weeks? Also, I figured out most of the route but I wonder how to get best from Hanoi to Siem Reap? Is there any recommendable bus connection? Thanks for your help! Iris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,720 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:13

Nha Trang vs Sapa

Posted by Wyse11 on 3/6/2008 at 17:49

Hi all I am planning a trip in August/September for about 3.5 weeks. After reading recent blogs, I am considering cutting the 3 days I had planned to spend Nha Trang in favour of going to Sapa (trekking/markets etc). I am not a diver or into the backpacking 'party' scene. I am more interested in experience the Vietnamese history and culture I am concerned that Nha Trang doesn't have much offer someone with my interests. Any thoughts or ideas ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,105 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:11

ocean tours - ocean sails junk

Posted by hotdiggeydog2 on 4/6/2008 at 05:18

Here is an extract of an email sent by ocean tours. I don't know what "characted" means maybe charted??? Thank you for your attendtion to our company As your requelagst, We would like to inform you that the Ocean Sails Boat now was characted, We do not know when it can run again. Any way, We advice you can go Lagoon explorer Trip 3 days, it similar itinerery, the boat seems much better ( it has only 4 rooms, private bathroom...) Their 3 day "lagoon explorer junk is &285 but you only ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,163 times, with no replies.

Itinerary Feedback?

Posted by natesta on 2/6/2008 at 22:46

Any feedback would be very welcome as I solidify our trip in July. Thank you. Day 1 Boat from Phenom Penh to Chau Doc (Stay Overnight in Cau doc) Day 2 Explore area around Chau Doc (Tra Su Bird Sancuary, Tup Duc Hill, stay overnight) Day 3 Boat? to Vinh Long (stay overnight) Day 4 Explore Vihn Long and surroundings (stay overnight) Day 5 Bus to Saigon (overnight in Saigon) Day 6 Explore Saigon (Chu chi tunnels, War reminents.. etc. Stay overnight) Day 7 Fly to Danang, hire c ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,504 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 3/6/2008 at 07:25

Trying to revisit bamboo hut experience

Posted by gfong on 27/5/2008 at 02:26

In 1984 my wife and I found ourselves living in a simple bamboo beach hut with a toilet and shower and bed. there were 16 huts in all with a little restaurant affair and the whole complex sat on a calm tree lined white sand beach. Electricity was available for four hours after the sun went down. Before we knew it two months had past. We have never forgotten. That was on Chawang beach in Ko Samui 1984. Anyone out there can point me to a similar situation in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand? I h ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,515 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/5/2008 at 05:30

Hanoi to Luang Prabang - airlines?

Posted by dannymahon on 16/5/2008 at 18:01

Hello, Does anyone know any other airlines which fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang other than Vietnam Airlines? They're very expensive and overland route seems a nightmare and we have limited time! Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Danny ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,007 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by katieq2 on 28/5/2008 at 02:36

Get visa in Vietnam to Cambodia

Posted by marty64 on 23/5/2008 at 06:37

We are flying into Vietnam on multi entry visa's but don't have time to get visa's for Cambodia before we leave, does anyone know which landboarder or river crossing we could take to be able to get visas there. Also we only have 2 weeks altogether, what would be a good itineray for both countries in such a short time. Looking to only do the bottom region of Vietnam. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,962 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/5/2008 at 17:21

Jetstar now has control!!

Posted by hotdiggeydog2 on 26/5/2008 at 16:15

Jetstar has now thaken over pacific as from 26/05/08. Go to the jetstar website to book online. It's great to get a e ticket..no agent fees.YIPPEE www.jetstar.com.au Enjoy the cheap fares!! Hotdiggeydog ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,740 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by redgum on 26/5/2008 at 17:51

jellyfish

Posted by seattle on 26/5/2008 at 13:04

CatBa or others; What are the names of the 2 different jellyfish we saw off of Phu Quoc this last april? There were purple ones and some red jellyfish. My wife was stung by a red one and it really hurt. What can be done for a person to stop the stinging when you are out on a boat and this happens? Can the red jellyfish be fatal? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,407 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by SBE on 26/5/2008 at 17:04

Pacific Airlines to become Jetstar Pacific

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/4/2008 at 08:06

The Australian newspaper website is reporting that: "Qantas is set to boost its presence in Southeast Asia by establishing a fleet of 30 Jetstar-branded aircraft in Vietnam. Qantas executives and Vietnamese officials will today unveil an agreement to change the name of Pacific Airlines, to Jetstar Pacific as part of a joint venture that will also lead to a fleet of 30 leased Airbus A320 aircraft being based in the country by 2014. The joint venture will initially grow services in Vietnam befo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,733 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by redgum on 26/5/2008 at 06:02

5 star express sleeping

Posted by SophieRoberts on 13/5/2008 at 16:48

Hi, I want to get the overnight 5 star express train from Saigon to Nha Trang. Does this train have sleeping berths? If so then are these the most expensive ones only? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,435 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by goldilocks on 22/5/2008 at 10:51

Vietnam in September

Posted by madz on 16/5/2008 at 09:57

Hi everyone! And this is my first post!! YAY! My partner and I have a 14 day trip in Vietnam booked for this coming September and Ive got a couple of questions i hope someone can help me out with. I'm still working on the itinerary but i am thinking something along the lines of HCM - 2 nights Dalat - 1 night Nha Trang - 2 nights Mui Ne - 2 nights Hoi An - 3 nights and then im not sure what else to do but i want to spend the last 2 maybe 3 nights in Ho Chi Minh. I was consider ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,481 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by vietnamtravelguides on 22/5/2008 at 10:10

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page