Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

crossing the border from Hanoi into China to Kunming.

Posted by harajuku4me_pls on 6/5/2008 at 04:36

hi guys. i was wondering whats involved in travelling from Hanoi to Kunming in China. i plan to secure a Chinese visa before i leave for Asia, but is it a big deal to cross the border into China? do buses or trains follow a route i could use? is it expensive, is it safe? cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,421 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by harajuku4me_pls on 9/5/2008 at 01:37

Looking for 2 travel mates: Northeast Vietnam 4WD trip in early June

Posted by kongxh on 23/4/2008 at 23:22

Hi folks, My friend and i are 21yr old students from Singapore, and we're looking for 2 people to share the cost of a 4WD tour to Northeast Vietnam in early June 2008. Details below: Day 01: Hanoi – Bac Kan - Ba Be National Park Day 02: Boating around Ba Be lake Day 03: Ba Be – Bac Me – Ha Giang Day 04: Ha Giang – Quan Ba – Yen Minh – Dong Van – Meo Vac Day 05: Meo Vac – Ha Giang – Viet Quang Day 06: Viet Quang – Tuyen Quang – Hanoi The operator is Vega Tra ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,759 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by kongxh on 9/5/2008 at 01:01

How To Order a Rail Ticket In SaiGon From Overseas

Posted by CatBa on 8/5/2008 at 23:16

A number of Travelfish members have been unsuccessful in contacting 5-Star aka Golden Train. This operation might be rich enough to finance a complete train set but it is a neophyte when it comes to running a business! The owner proudly told me they didn't use the web site anymore "as they had changed their name". It has an office on Pham Ngu Lao, the HCMC backpacker area, but it doesn't sell tickets. For this you have to go to: SaiGon Railway Station 1 Nguyen Thong District / Qua ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,852 times, with no replies.

PADI in Nha Trang

Posted by thegingerbird on 7/5/2008 at 04:39

Me again Just wondering if anyone has completed their PADI in Nha Trang and if you have any recommendations on who to do it through. Cheers TGB ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,289 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 8/5/2008 at 05:04

Sorry stupid question but essential for a ginger!

Posted by thegingerbird on 5/5/2008 at 19:32

Hi Alas i am a red head and tend to become a crispy critter in the sun. Does anyone know if i will be able to get high factor sun screen in vietnam or do i need to stock up before i go? Cheers TGB ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,633 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by thegingerbird on 6/5/2008 at 15:21

Acceptable clothing in vietnam

Posted by macman1945 on 6/5/2008 at 06:09

Hi all, I suppose this has been covered before but tips please for what I can wear without offending locals. I really prefer shorts , t- shirt (with collar) and thongs or sandals. Can anybody help please? Of course this is only for internal travel , I know the advise regards entry and exit. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,550 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by macman1945 on 6/5/2008 at 12:29

Accommodation Sapa- Cat Cat View

Posted by shakester on 11/4/2008 at 15:25

Hi fishers just back from Hanoir and around, here are my thoughts on a couple of places I stayed at. Cat Cat View Hotel, Sapa Room: ‘Standard room’. Fantastic views, high up. Spacious, comfortable room. Bed, chairs, table, small tv (not switched on at all), shower and tub in bathroom, continous warm water, window that opens out to the corridor and therefore- did I mention- fantastic views. Location: Location per se is not very relevant in Sapa town, I think, except in terms of the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,244 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by shakester on 3/5/2008 at 12:49

day visa

Posted by barrylad66 on 28/4/2008 at 18:48

hi everyone am planning to visit vietnam on my forthcoming trip. i understand i will have to sort out my visa in loas before i arrive,but i'm sure i read somewhere on travelfish i can renew the visa on a daily basis. is this the case,and if so how do i go about it many thanks for any replys ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,491 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by barrylad66 on 2/5/2008 at 21:27

5star express

Posted by goldilocks on 25/4/2008 at 03:24

I have been informed that 5 star express is now named Golden Trains.Has anyone got up to date information eg time table osts etc.Is the website changed. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,690 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 2/5/2008 at 16:07

Travel to Mui Ne in June

Posted by hkgator on 1/5/2008 at 22:06

I'm planning to travel to Mui Ne in June with my two sons and wife. I plan to arrive on June 14 and spend a week there my questions are. 1, I would like to spend a day in HCMC, recommendation on how to get to hotel, is it safe to hire a taxi from airport, if not waht are the alternatives. 2. I heard there is now a train from HCMC to Mui Ne, is it better than taking a mini-bus, any other travel method recommended? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,778 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 2/5/2008 at 06:09

opening and closing times of ticket sales at HCMC station

Posted by thegingerbird on 1/5/2008 at 05:07

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew the times that the train ticket office was open at HCMC. Ive tried the VNR website but had no luck. The VNR website also mentions e-ticket windows. Does this mean that i could book my ticket online and collect it there? Thanks in advance TGB ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,182 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 2/5/2008 at 05:57

Posting On Travelfish

Posted by taz on 23/4/2008 at 19:33

Living in Sai Gon, I had gone to China for a month and then, back in Ha Noi decided to work my way south by train, instead of flying home. Just before arriving in Hue, I found Travelfish on the internet for the first time and thought they had some good input about the reality of the city of Hue. As I worked myself south, I appreciated some of the thoughts TF offered; and, also, had different views at times. In addition, TF has quite a few errors in their addresses, evaluations being confu ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,615 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by SBE on 2/5/2008 at 02:25

Border crossing from Hanoi to Laos

Posted by Rickster on 30/4/2008 at 00:07

Hi all, I am planning a 16 day trip to vietnam and laos and I hope to get some advice from you guys with more experience. We have already book the tickets to hanoi and will be flying back from HCM. The plan is to start from hanoi travel into laos on land, covering Luang Prabang, vang vieng and vientiane. We would then go back to hanoi and fly to HCM. May I check with you guys which is the best/fastest way to travel into/back laos on land covering Luang Prabang, vang vieng and vientiane ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,246 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 1/5/2008 at 05:23

Bun Cha Hanoi

Posted by notacrime on 27/4/2008 at 02:04

I was in Hanoi last September for a week, and spent the rest of the month traveling round Vietnam. I'm desperately searching for a Bun Cha Hanoi recipe, like they do on the street all over Hanoi. The key thing that I cannot get a recipe for is the broth that the pork and pork meatballs is served in, (and that you dip your noodles in to.) I live in Scotland now, and I really need my Bun Cha Hanoi fix. Can someone please please please ask one of the street vendors what is in the broth, a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,075 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by notacrime on 30/4/2008 at 21:58

Getting hotel rooms during Hue Festival

Posted by kongxh on 29/4/2008 at 13:03

I'll be travelling to Hue sometime in June (early to mid) and i was wondering if anyone can tell me the hotel situation during that period. From my understanding, the Hue Festival runs from 3-11 June, which will fill up most of the hotel rooms in Hue. In that case, should i book my hotel rooms now, or just skip Hue altogether? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,916 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 29/4/2008 at 18:14

Obtaining a Chinese Visa in Hanoi - Possible?

Posted by dmalling on 16/4/2008 at 14:07

I will be leaving Singapore for Vietnam next Friday and would like to head through China before going home to the United States. I tried getting a visa at the consulate in Singapore today but was denied because I don't have a train ticket from Hanoi to Kunming, a ticket from Kunming to Beijing, nor do I have any accomodation booked, though I do have a flight home from Beijing. I was told to book everything else and that I could get my visa in Hanoi. Recently I've read that it's not possible f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,161 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 29/4/2008 at 17:44

National Holidays Boost Prices Along With 21% Inflation

Posted by CatBa on 29/4/2008 at 10:54

Wednesday, April 30, is the Vietnamese national holiday when the celebrate the end of the American War in VietNam and the beginning of the re-unification of the country. May Day follows and, this year, many are taking Friday and Saturday off so they can enjoy a long weekend. This has increased the number of Travellers and put a great deal of pressure on accommodation in all the popular destinations visited by "International Guests". OpenTour bus prices have increased 15-20%; hotels by 2 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,124 times, with no replies.

Booking agent for 5*EXPRESS

Posted by goldilocks on 27/4/2008 at 05:40

Can anybody give me a reputable website for booking the 5*express,I will be in Hcm 2days before travel(august)and not sure if that is enough time to secure a sleeping berth.All replies welcome ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,319 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 29/4/2008 at 09:43

Booking Mai House Phu Quoc

Posted by econisbee on 23/4/2008 at 19:16

Hi - I'm trying to find a way to book a room at Mai House - it's my honeymoon and I'd like to guarantee a stay there! Can anyone help? I've tried booking through travelfish but with no joy. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,409 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 23/4/2008 at 22:09

Package to Halong Bay

Posted by doraemon on 20/3/2008 at 13:03

It is really great & wonderful that from travelfish website that I found a lot of useful info for my Hanoi Trip. From the sharing of the members I ve shortlisted a few travel agents to Halong Bay. Can any one can tell me, in which way I can get better price for the same package? To negotiate and book online? Or to deal with them directly when I arrive Hanoi? Thanks a lot! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,355 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by KPTham1 on 23/4/2008 at 01:40

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page