Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

pacific airline booking stuff-up

Posted by macman1945 on 12/4/2008 at 06:38

After reading the forum I think I've made a big mistake. I failed to enter middle names of passengers for flight from h.m.c to haiphong. Can anybody tell what I can do to rectify this please. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,056 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by macman1945 on 14/4/2008 at 14:08

Long Tan tour HCMC

Posted by jacpen on 12/4/2008 at 09:45

howdy, does anyone know which tour company can do a half day tour to Long Tan outside of HCMC? Thanks!!! 7days to go!!!!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,789 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jacpen on 14/4/2008 at 10:35

any tips - taking the train Saigon to Hanoi??

Posted by msk100 on 13/4/2008 at 07:23

are travelling with 2 kids in early July and havent bought tickets yet for this journey. anyone got any tips as to where we should buy our tickets from and tips for the journey, thanks x ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,983 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 14/4/2008 at 08:08

Accommodation Hanoi- Ocean Stars 2

Posted by shakester on 11/4/2008 at 15:24

Hi fishers just back from Hanoir and around, here are my thoughts on a couple of places I stayed at. cheers Ocean Stars 2 Hotel, Hanoi Dao Duy Tu Lane Room: Its quite new, so the rooms are clean, comfortable and not weathered. There’s airconditioning, a little cupboard and even a fridge and tv, if that does it for you. Nothing flash, but more than comfortable. Location: Its on a side street (Dao Duy Tu Lane, just off main Dao Duy Tu), so it mostly quiet. The rooms facing the bac ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,799 times, with no replies.

No Room at the Inn!

Posted by CatBa on 11/4/2008 at 10:58

With increased disposable income the Vietnamese are taking to the road like never before which will put the squeeze on economical accommodation so favoured by backpackers and visitors to VietNam. The OpenTour buses will also be loaded and you can expect increased prices - in addition to the fuel surcharges. The next national holiday is the May Day / Tran Hung Dao holiday that runs from 2008 April 30 – 2008 May 1. In addition, many will have one more day off on King Hung’s death anniver ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,522 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 11/4/2008 at 14:14

ANZAC day 25/4/08 in Hue

Posted by jacpen on 11/4/2008 at 11:38

Howdy, just wondering if theres going to be anymore Aussies in the Hue area for ANZAC day? theres me and 2 girlfriends. Are there any celebrations? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,381 times, with no replies.

crossing from vietnam to laos

Posted by mudgeerambler on 11/4/2008 at 08:07

My wife and I (55 and 49 )are thinking of visiting middle Vietnam (been twice before but not this area)towards the end of the year and then crossing into Laos . I believe that there is a crossing near Hue . Any experiences here. Would 2-3 weeks be enough in Laos or should we only do some areas ? (We prefer to see a place properly and miss some areas rather than rush too much ). Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,687 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 11/4/2008 at 11:09

Hanoi-bars and restaurants suggestions needed

Posted by anmi212 on 2/4/2008 at 21:26

Hi everyone-- A friend and I are going to spend a few days in Hanoi in 2 weeks. It's the first time for both of us and we both love good, but affordable, food and fun bars. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on "must-see" restaurants and bars in Hanoi. We like all types of food and drinks. Oh and it would be great if anyone knew of any gay-friendly bars also (we're mixed-one straight girl and one gay guy). Thanks for the help!!!! --A ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,360 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by anmi212 on 10/4/2008 at 21:11

a money nightmare??

Posted by dazm26 on 23/1/2008 at 19:19

Hiya guys, In 3 weeks i embark on a solo trip from Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand-Malaysia and finally Singapore. I am taking some USD cash, travellers cheques, debit card and a credit card (for emergencies) I am on the understanding that in both Vietnam and Cambodia US Dollars is the preferred currency and this has got me thinking...........Am i right in saying that in order to purhcase anything, id need to work out what the price is is say Dong (vietnam) the relevant US Dollars a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,266 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 9/4/2008 at 01:41

Ha Long Bay... Ocean Tours, Fanispan or Et Pumpkin

Posted by funkfaerie on 5/4/2008 at 22:24

Sorry, I know this question is overdone, but I need a little help choosing between some tour operators... My boyfriend and I want to do a 3day/2night tour, with kayaking, price range up to $180pp (only for a very nice boat/trustworthy tour). Is it possible to get a double bed/private room? Not sure if I should book online or book when I get to Vietnam, since I want to take the tour the day after arrival. At the moment i'm looking between Ocean Tours, Fanispan and Et Pumpkin, but i'm ver ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,510 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 5/4/2008 at 23:04

Chau Doc to Mui de

Posted by laurasian on 2/4/2008 at 19:02

Does anyone know how to get from Chau Doc to Mui de and if so how long it takes? I want to go to both places then end up in Ha Chi Minh City. Also is it easy to buy tickets for the busses and boats when out there? any help will be much appriciated! thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,403 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 5/4/2008 at 10:15

Train from Saigon to Hue'

Posted by MissBeth on 2/4/2008 at 13:44

I've got a few friends coming to Vietnam and they've expressed interest in doing a train trip from Saigon to Hue'. I've only used the buses to travel around, and wondering if anyone has advice as far as train service and comfort with respect to the different classes. These folks aren't exactly backpacker types looking to totally rough it, but do want to experience things beyond flying around. Any advice would be great. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,294 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 3/4/2008 at 05:09

Ha Long Bay cable car project approved

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/4/2008 at 07:40

Thanh Nien News Daily reports that the Vietnamese government on Tuesday announced that the world's largest cable car system is to be built in Vietnam's World Heritage-listed Ha Long Bay. "The Halong Bay Cable Car (HabCab) will revolutionise how tourists see and experience this premiere destination," said a government representative. Modelled on the successful Vin Pearl Cable Car system in Nha Trang, the HabCab will eliminate what is often the most problematic aspect of tourist visits to Vi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,289 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 2/4/2008 at 07:08

Mui Ne beach

Posted by tblais on 27/1/2008 at 14:49

We spent a week at Mui Ne in February 2007. We will be there again the first week of March 2008. Just wondering can anyone tell me if there's been much beach erosion. We're trying to decide whether to stay at Bamboo Village Resort or Blue Ocean Resort. Can anyone out there comment on either place. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,827 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by allen_moretsky on 27/3/2008 at 09:15

Local Bus from Mui Ne to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) and staying near Mien Dong

Posted by allen_moretsky on 23/3/2008 at 09:42

The situation was that I did not buy a ticket ahead of time as do most of tourists. I wanted to see if I could beat the Open Bus price from Mui Ne to Saigon. One of the motorcycle drivers told me I could pay him to take me to the bus station and from there get a bus for 60,000 Dong to Saigon. What I decided to do was to wait at the blue bus stop sign which are placed every so often on the main road. I was planning to take the local bus to the bus station, but as luck would have it the Local B ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,928 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by allen_moretsky on 27/3/2008 at 08:02

Phu Quoc airport to the Mango Hotel?

Posted by seattle on 26/3/2008 at 06:36

What sort of transportation is at the Phu Quoc airport to hotel and what is the cost ect.? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,765 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 26/3/2008 at 20:16

Vinh Moc Tunnels

Posted by MissParker22 on 26/3/2008 at 00:38

I want see the Vinh Moc tunnels but dont fancy doing the whole DMZ tour, would i be able to get a guide/taxi to just the tunnels? Any advice would be much appriecated Natalie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,515 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MissParker22 on 26/3/2008 at 16:57

Hué to Savannakhet 'International' Bus?

Posted by shanghai306 on 24/3/2008 at 23:23

Hi there, I'm looking for some information about the direct bus that supposedly goes between Hue and Savannakhet. I found information on this in the 2005 edition of Vietnam LP, but found to my dismay that no such thing is mentioned in the 2007 edition. Has the route been scrapped? Does this mean I need to do the trip on a variety of buses instead? Any info would be much appreciated as I arrive in Hué in a couple of days and it'd be nice to know what my options are before I pop into the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,580 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 25/3/2008 at 00:00

HCM to Ha Long Bay

Posted by JamieB on 23/3/2008 at 14:44

Hey Guys! Whats the easiest and quickest way to get from HCM to HLB? I am on a time crunch and don't really mind paying a little extra for a plane if possible... Also, how many days would be sufficient to see each place? I thinking 2 days in the city and 1-2 in HLB. Much Thanks, Jamie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,160 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 24/3/2008 at 08:12

Mien Dong Bus Station in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)

Posted by allen_moretsky on 23/3/2008 at 09:38

I have been successful in finding reasonable bus prices out of the Mien Dong Bus station in Siagon. I have also been pleased to be able to find a couple of hotels for less then $8 which rivals the Pham Ngu Lao backpacker area prices. I also like the Mien Dong area for its reasonable prices for food and for being able to get the more reasonable "Vietnamese" price fo things in general. Not so many foreigners in the Mien Dong area which I like as I feel that I am being treated a bit better here the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,001 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 23/3/2008 at 10:55

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page