Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Hanoi : Absolute Must-Sees?

Posted by ajinasia on 21/3/2008 at 18:32

This will sound crazy, but I only have 2 days to see what I can in Hanoi before hightailing back to BKK for an onward flight. I've heard that I ought to visit the HCM mausoleum. Other than that, I'd appreciate a short (!) list of other 'must-sees' if I'm so limited in time. By the way, I'm not big on visiting temples and other standard stops on tourist-bus itineraries. In fact, if there's an interesting OTBT neighbourhood to walk through, or a destination that's rarely referred to in the guidebo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,797 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ajinasia on 22/3/2008 at 21:04

Karsting in North(east) Vietnam

Posted by ajinasia on 12/3/2008 at 16:43

I'm heading up to the northern region in the next 7-10 days. I'd love to travel through the areas described in this article (Karsting Away in Vietnam, http://www.perceptivetravel.com/issues/0308/buckley.html) - especially the Dongvan Plateau & Meovac. Any takers? (The author rented mountain bike + van with others) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,090 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by flupe on 21/3/2008 at 00:12

Anybody know accomodation at Dong Da District Hanoi

Posted by doraemon on 5/3/2008 at 19:07

I appreciate if anybody can advise me on the hotel/guest house at Dong Da District. I ve booked a ticket from Hanoi to Nanning on 29th March. I planned to stay at Dong Da area the night before so that I can easily get to Kim Lien Hotel to collect my ticket and catch the bus at 7.30am. There is a list of hotel names at Hoan Kiem District but not Dong Da District. And what is the distance between these two places? TQ! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,954 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by doraemon on 20/3/2008 at 13:08

Kon Tum - Family Hotel

Posted by ajinasia on 12/3/2008 at 17:19

I spent the past 2 days in Kontum, staying at the Family Hotel - which was recommended by this website. Although many travellers might agree with your rating, I don't: I didnt' sleep the first night at all, due to an alarmingly loud A/C and an equally loud dripping in the toilet that wouldn't subside - plus a plumbing problem in the sink which caused a fair amount of flooding in the bathroom. I asked for a new room the next morning and had to return a few hours later especially to move my gear. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,080 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ajinasia on 14/3/2008 at 20:32

Weather

Posted by sista on 12/3/2008 at 09:49

Me again, we are moving to teach in HCM City - we are wondering how much we should pack and what sort of things we should pack. Can anyone tell me if it gets cold there and how cold should we just buy stuff there or pack and take essentials from Australia. Any advice on what to take along with a guideline to weather in Nam would be appreciated SISTA ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,482 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 13/3/2008 at 17:11

Phu Quoc: Resort construction ahead of essential utilities

Posted by CatBa on 12/3/2008 at 23:14

As elsewhere in VietNam, the infrastructure sadly trails the construction of new buildings. This is true in Phu Quoc Island where numerous new developments are coming on-line. Unlike many countries in the West, where utilities are usually in place before the first foundation is dug, the opposite is true here and you will find Phu Quoc coastal properties dump the sewage, untreated, into the sea. Not only does this mean the water fecal count is high, but also some sea foods can be contaminat ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,603 times, with no replies.

North Vietnam in 14 days in April before setting up in HCM CITY!

Posted by sista on 12/3/2008 at 09:48

Hello! My boyfriend and I have scored teaching jobs in HCMCity and will be there for around a year. We have two weeks up our sleeves before we start teaching so we thought we would spend that time checking out North Vietnam as we can explore South easily from where we will be based. Basically we want it to be as relaxed as possible as we are in need of a holiday but any information you can give me on the following would be GREAT 1) Suggested itinerary for the North for two weeks including wher ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,190 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 12/3/2008 at 23:06

central highlands

Posted by fishtails04 on 11/2/2008 at 17:41

one simple message: go there! i couldn't decide whether to take the coastal route or the mountain route heading north from saigon. many people told me the coast was overdeveloped and tacky and i decided i couldn't face that: my beach standards are high! so i took a mai linh coach from siagon to dalat and from there an easy rider motorbike to lak lake from where i caught a localbus to kon tum. it was the right decision. if you're sick of feeling like you're not really in s.e. asia as you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,285 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ajinasia on 12/3/2008 at 17:05

Hoi An & Hanoi guesthouse / hotel?

Posted by ajinasia on 10/3/2008 at 20:03

Can anyone recommend a reasonable, CLEAN, and friendly GH / hotel in both Hoi An and Hanoi? I also prefer to be off the main backpacker grid if possible, something with a bit o' character?! Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,727 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ajinasia on 12/3/2008 at 16:38

Vietnam in July ?

Posted by dmg on 9/3/2008 at 18:26

Hello, New to SE Asia, Vietnam is at the top of my list among places to visit. How is travel during July? Too rainy or are there some places still good to see in July? Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,624 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 11/3/2008 at 21:19

weather!!- how bad up north?

Posted by fishtails04 on 11/2/2008 at 17:47

ok, maybe i planned badly but i really didn't expect things to be so cold and wet in vietnam at this time of year! all the locals tell me it's not normal, it's the coldest spring in 50 years etc etc... i had a week of gorgeous sunshine in the centralhighlands and then hit hoi an and greya skies, chilly winds and drizzle... god, it's like being back in ireland! i had to break my vow not to go near the tailors' shops in hoi an as i was frozen and needed a fleece made. and i'm heading north...whi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,671 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Ashe88 on 11/3/2008 at 18:18

Vietnam Weekend - Must see?

Posted by svcjenkins on 19/2/2008 at 21:33

Hi, I am planning a few days in Vietnam but not sure what the best place to see is as I have heard mixed reviews. Can anyone recommend? Thanks Sophie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,510 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Ashe88 on 11/3/2008 at 18:09

Cu Chi Tunnels - don't do it

Posted by celianz on 25/2/2008 at 14:20

Were very exicted about going to the Cu Chi tunnels outside of Saigon (HCMC). I wish we could have saved the $. Nothing but a disneyland type atmosphere, with mannequins etc doing chores. Get to walk through a small section of tunnel, but then after that our guide told us a "secret" which now I'm telling all of you, that the whole area is fake. The tunnels that you crawl through were created for tourists because the real ones (and there are real ones in the area) are not fit for tourism. So you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,385 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Ashe88 on 11/3/2008 at 17:54

Good story on Bai Tu Long and far north Vietnam

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/3/2008 at 10:23

Perceptive Travel have an interesting story: Karsting Away in Vietnam -- well worth a read if you're looking to get a little off the beaten track in northern Vietnam. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,009 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ajinasia on 10/3/2008 at 19:56

DA LAT: Southern Viet Nams Country Garden - Soon A Travellers Nightmare!

Posted by CatBa on 7/3/2008 at 15:26

Da Lat is a cool former French Hill Station located several thousand feet above the coast and is southern Viet Nams flower and vegetable garden. Now the Peoples Committee has decided to celebrate Da Lats agricultural success BY RENAMING 70% OF THE STREETS! Therefore, when booking your accommodation (Dreams Hotels are the best deal) ASK THEM IF THEIR STREET HAS BEEN RENAMED! Happy travels. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,967 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ajinasia on 8/3/2008 at 18:03

Is there an airline that flys from Phu Quoc to Nha Trang(Cam Ranh Bay)

Posted by seattle on 7/3/2008 at 11:20

Are there flights to Nha Trang from Phu Quoc? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,199 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 8/3/2008 at 04:37

Is there anywhere that will exchange Dong outside of Vietnam?

Posted by celianz on 25/2/2008 at 14:30

Yes, missed the boat (and apparently the exchange booth at Hanoi Airport) and we are now stuck with lots of Dong...stupid I know. Is there any country that will exchange it? I know Thailand won't...We are heading into Laos soon and I wondered if perhaps the banks there do? Otherwise my only hope is finding some other travellers who are heading in that way from Laos and who will change. If there is somewhere out there that you know of we would appreciate it!!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,405 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by celianz on 7/3/2008 at 12:40

Vietnam to phuket?

Posted by shewchuk316 on 6/3/2008 at 12:55

What's the easiest way to get from Vietnam to Phuket. I want to start planning a trip to Thailand,Vietnam and cambodia but I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions? THANKS ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,680 times, with no replies.

Vietnam and Laos in 2 weeks

Posted by sarahwelch on 4/3/2008 at 08:49

I know, I know-probably too much :) I am trying to go from HCMC to Hoi An and then on to Hanoi to fly into Vientiane to stay a few days. I will then take a return flight to Hanoi to stay there a few days. This is the suggested itinerary: March 20th-arrive HCMC at night March 21st-day trip to Mytho and back to HCMC March 22nd-day trip to Cu Chi Tunnels and back to HCMC March 23rd-HCMC (attempt to take night bus/train to Danang and then connect in the morning to Hoi An) March 24th-Hoi An ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,199 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by sarahwelch on 5/3/2008 at 06:17

VietNam: WTO Member With Fast-Rising Prices

Posted by CatBa on 5/3/2008 at 04:23

WTO membership coupled with general world-wide price increases are felt here in VietNam as well as in your home country. Visitors who have expectations of a low cost vacation are being met with sticker shock. Hotels are not only increasing prices but also making breakfast an EXTRA. And watch those VAT (tax) and Service Charge surcharges - ensure they are INCLUDED. Credit card usage can attract surcharges ranging from 0% to 10% (four hotels in HCMC). Restaurant menu prices are now often ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,590 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page