Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Accomadation on Phu Quoc/ advice please

Posted by easygoing on 22/12/2007 at 02:16

Hello I am going to Phu Quoc Island for 4 night,s in mid March And have 2 places in mind to stay at I am looking for a single basic budget room at either the Tropican Resort or the Beach Club all suggestion,s gratfully accepted Happy Christmas Paul ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,981 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by reachbexta on 7/1/2008 at 17:31

Vietnam-Hanoi Queen Hotel

Posted by jzar on 6/1/2008 at 16:51

I will be travelling solo to Vietnam and arrive in Hanoi on 9 Feb 2008.I am not looking at "roughing" it so much, and have heard good reports about the original Queen Hotel in Hanoi (65 Pho Hang Bac).However the rooms are a bit to steep for one person $65 and would like to know if anyone would like to share a twin room with me (split the costs--probably $30-$40 each) per night. I will be in Hanoi for 4 nights. (9th feb,10th Feb,11th Feb and 14th Feb) I am male and from South Africa. I will spen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,958 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by jzar on 7/1/2008 at 16:37

Whale Island or Phu Quoc?

Posted by jzar on 6/1/2008 at 21:01

Hi, I wiil be travelling solo to Vietnam in Feb 08. Part of my itinerary is:2 nights in Hoi An and then on the 3rd day Transfer by road & boat to secluded Whale Island for 2 days and then one night in Nha Trang to catch overnight train to HCMC.(after that - i plan to do a 3 day boat ride on mekong Delta into Cambodia-Phnom Penh. Questions: Should I stick to this and go to whale island or should I go to Phu Quoc instead via HCMC (transit) for 3 days? Is this long enough? Also, shuld I bu ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,271 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by jzar on 7/1/2008 at 16:35

Saigon for New Year

Posted by rocketgirl on 27/12/2007 at 09:15

Hey everyone, I was thinking of spending New Years Eve in Saigon - does anyone know if anything is happening there for New Years - i.e. fireworks, good club nights etc? I will be on my own, so would like to go somewhere where i can meet other backpackers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,817 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by jigger on 6/1/2008 at 07:26

HCM to Siem Reap

Posted by jigger on 5/1/2008 at 16:47

hey guys, im planning to go to angkor wat this feb 2 - 5, can you tell me how to get there? how much it costs? and how long? please assume i do not know anything.. thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,814 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jigger on 6/1/2008 at 07:24

Vinh Moc tunnel tour price advice please

Posted by JaTo on 2/1/2008 at 18:05

Hi I have been quoted $US75 for my group of three to be picked up in Dong Ha visit the Vinh Moc tunnels and return to Dong Ha by car with an english speaking guide. To be picked up from Dong Ha, visist the tunnels then driven to Hue the cost quoted is $US135. Is this a reasonable price? Can anyone suggest a guide/ company in Dong Ha who I could get a comparative price from? thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,906 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 2/1/2008 at 18:46

Green Mango Restaurant & Hotel, Hanoi's Old Quarter and Cat Ba in Ha Long Bay

Posted by Kwaut_Lizard on 30/12/2007 at 23:30

For those that like some opulence and luxury, this little boutique hotel right in the heart of Hanoi's Old Quarter is superb. There are only 7 rooms in this swank and very personable hotel but they include large bathrooms with enclosed showers (jacuzzi in the suite), all rooms have Queen size beds (an extra double bed is additional in the suite), wooden floors, mini-bar, television with cable, air-con, wifi throughout the facility, telephone, dressing area with vanity and cabinet,... The rooms r ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,990 times, with no replies.

Trying to keep to no more than a 3 week trip

Posted by downundergal on 30/12/2007 at 13:54

Hi I really need to keep to a 3 week trip but so far have come up with the following - 25 nights plus flying time. Any ideas on where I can trim it back? I am not a trekker but a keen photorapher so should I drop the Sapa section and save 3 nights or drop the Delta section instead? Any help much appreciated. Fly to Hanoi arrive evening spend 2n,Halong Bay 1n, back to Hanoi 1n, then overnight train to Lao Cai/Sapa, Sapa 1n then overnight train to Hanoi fly to Hue 2n, Hoi An 3n, fly to Nha Tr ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,305 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by downundergal on 30/12/2007 at 15:09

Hoang Trinh Hotel - excellent place to stay in Hoi An

Posted by jobst on 28/12/2007 at 18:05

I would like to recommend this Hotel, which is in 5 Minute walking distance from the Japanese Covered Bridge & Town Centre, and still quiet in a sidestreet, overlooking a pagoda; nice locals that run it; clean and good service: Hoang Trinh Hotel, 45 Le Quy Don Street (corner Tran Hung Dao); Tel. (84)510916579 ; ; ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,561 times, with no replies.

3 day Mekong Delta tour from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh

Posted by rocketgirl on 27/12/2007 at 09:17

Has anyone done this tour? Is it any good, also does anyone have any idea of a good company to go through. I've seen this advertised with Sinh Cafe and was thinking of doing it as an interesting way to get to Cambodia, but wondering if I'd be better off just doing a 2 day Mekong Delta tour, then normal bus/boat to Phnom Penh. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,818 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by marianwarren on 27/12/2007 at 13:30

Are there Taxi's in Ha Tien, ?

Posted by ron67 on 21/12/2007 at 04:10

Leaving Kep Cambodia in April 08, heading for Rach Gia boat pier,we wanted to know, Are there Taxi's in Ha Tien to take us to Rach Gia? we need the fastest way Thanks for any info Ron ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,355 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ron67 on 22/12/2007 at 05:55

3 week Itinerary - would love your opinion!!

Posted by sackonmyback on 19/12/2007 at 09:54

Hi there - My 3 week initerary is below - any suggestions or changes welcome if we havent left long enough in some places!! Hanoi - 3 nights/2 days Halong Bay - 2 nights/3 days (do a cruise this could drop to just a one night if too long) Overnight train from Hanoi to Hue Hue - 2 nights/2 days Hoi An - 3 nights/2.5 days Possiby take overnight bus from Hoi An to Nha Trang if worth it?? Means would only have 1 day and 1 night there tho? Fly from Nha Trang or Da Nang if not going to Nha T ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,180 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 21/12/2007 at 21:10

iViVu Air Ticket Deliveries

Posted by ozscott on 10/12/2007 at 12:36

Folks, I have pre-booked my flight from Saigon to Da Nang with Pacific Airlines onlines (no problems here!) and now want to pre-book my flight from Hue to Hanoi scheduled for next March... I have read many good threads which identify iViVu as being a good in-country travel agent to utilise for booking flights with Vietnam Airlines, but need to assure myself that there ticket delivery service is also reliable! Once I have pre-booked (and paid) for my tickets from Hue to Hanoi with iViVu, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,927 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by mmoses on 19/12/2007 at 10:09

Feb/March - South to North best way to go?

Posted by sackonmyback on 18/12/2007 at 10:44

Hi guys, My partner and I are looking at spending 3 weeks in Vietnam from about 24th Feb - 15th March. Trying to decide whether we go South to North or vice versa - just thinking weather wise. We defintely want to "beach it" as well if you have any must do's. Any suggestions? Appreciate your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,576 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by sackonmyback on 19/12/2007 at 10:01

TNK-TRAVEL anyone used them for pre booking flight,s

Posted by easygoing on 17/12/2007 at 20:22

Hello I made a mistike I think I contacted TNK-TRAVEL.VN and asked them to pre book 3 flight,s for me I was asked to attach photo copy of my passport and photo copy of my credit card for authorazation to make payment,s this I foolishly have done , and since doing this the email me saying attachment,s not received Has anyone had any dealing,s with this company if so what was the outcome Thank,s for your help Paul ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,107 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 18/12/2007 at 00:57

Bookshops in HCMC

Posted by poisonid on 11/12/2007 at 16:46

I used to live in HCMC 15 years ago, and I remember very well that there were some old bookstores that dealt in any kind of foreign books and papers (secondhands, photocopies, illegal southern litterature froom beforei the revolution etc) somewhere in the area around the army surplus market. Does anyone know if those stores are still there? Please tell me where they are, I ask but no one knows what I am talking about, and I dont speak vietnamese... I am aware that the Pham Ngu Lao backpackerd ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,710 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 16/12/2007 at 08:10

Vietnam Beach Break

Posted by downundergal on 9/12/2007 at 15:29

Needing some help! I was planning some down time of about 5 days in Nha Trang but now after reading various reviews I am wondering if this is the right thing. The majority say that say the beach is dirty, strewn with rubbish and faeces(!)and the water is too dirty for swimming. Then after looking at accommodation options it seems as though the choices are fairly slim, the most consistant reviews & affordable price limit(Ana Mandara out of the budget) seem to be for the Sunrise Beach Resort but i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,888 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 12/12/2007 at 09:53

Vietnam Travels

Posted by danielr on 11/12/2007 at 08:46

Hi, We are a group of 5 19 year olds travelling to Vietnam from 8th - 18th of January 2008. we have arrive at Hanoi on the 8th and are looking to do a 3 day 2 night cruise in Halong Bay, after that we wish to travel down to Nha Trang for a three day party boat tour. then finally spend the remaining time in Ho Chi Minh, and catch a plane back to Bangkok to travel to Ko Samui for the full moon party. at the moment we only have the restrictions of 8th we fly in, and need to be back i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,645 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by danielr on 12/12/2007 at 04:55

Land Travel from HMC to PP

Posted by poofie555 on 10/12/2007 at 06:50

I need to make my way from HMC to PP but don't want to spend 8 hours on a bus. I have heard of people hiring cars. Has anyone travelled this way? If so, can you recommend a car service. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,039 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by jimsparadise on 11/12/2007 at 20:16

good mid range hotels in Hue and HoiAn

Posted by niamhtt on 9/12/2007 at 13:30

HI, Any recommendations for hotels in Hue and Hoi An. We are looking to book online as we plan to be there in the week prior to Xmas Not doing a budget trip but about $20 Aus is our level. Love to hear of any places that are friendly and nice. Niamhtt ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,710 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 10/12/2007 at 22:18

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page