Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Halong Midrange Tour - Saigon Cafe Tours?

Posted by jappelman on 1/12/2007 at 13:23

I'm going to be in Hanoi in a few days and would like to set up a midrange Halong Bay tour through Saigon Cafe Tours (listed on the "Ha Long Bay for Flashpackers" feature article), but can't find any reference to them in guidebooks, on the internet, etc. Can anyone point me the right way? Also, how far in advance is it necessary to set up a tour? For example, can I arrive in Hanoi Tuesday night, stop by the tour company Wednesday morning, and sign up for a tour that leaves Thursday? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,843 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Marilyn on 1/12/2007 at 18:36

when is Hoi An good for travel again

Posted by niamhtt on 27/11/2007 at 13:29

I am planning to visit Vietnam in Dec, and Hoi An about 20th Dec. Is the flooding and severe weather likely to have passed by this time. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,592 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 1/12/2007 at 03:33

Need Restaurant advice in HCMC

Posted by carolyns on 28/11/2007 at 04:21

My partner and I will be in Ho Chi Minh City on Dec 31st (New Year's Eve) and I would like to take him out for a special dinner to celebrate his 40th birthday... Can you suggest a nice, quiet, romantic place for dinner. I was thinking perhaps French as we like nice wine. Any ideas? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,576 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 1/12/2007 at 03:19

Accomadation HCMC

Posted by nzchanty on 30/10/2007 at 04:25

Hi Guys. looking for accaomdation in HCMC for 5 nights for 3 adults in mid feb 2008 looking for somewere quite lively but safe and also a good base 4 day trips. cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,084 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by yoshemo on 27/11/2007 at 15:49

Itinerary Help: 4 weeks in Vietnam

Posted by PatHatch on 26/11/2007 at 06:39

G’day all. I’m heading off on a one month trip in Vietnam, going South to North. I am traveling alone, and am planning on doing things cheaply. Here is what i have tentatively planned so far, and would really like to hear any and all comments from fellow travelers. Here’s what i’ve got: Nov 29th Fly into HCMC 30th HCMC Dec 1st - HCMC 2nd HCMC - Cat Tien National Park 3rd Cat Tien 4th Cat Tien – Dalat 5th Dalat 6th Around Dalat 7th Dala ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,151 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/11/2007 at 08:35

suggestions for travelblog

Posted by soccertaxi on 26/11/2007 at 05:32

I was wondering if anyone out there could make some suggestions as to a good website to build a travelblog for our travels. We would like to add text and photos from internet cafes and hotel systems along the way...easy to use and upload would be nice! Thanks for your help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,189 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by EmjayReet on 26/11/2007 at 07:42

3 week trip

Posted by downundergal on 25/11/2007 at 14:32

Hi all, I'm starting to plan a trip to Vietnam for April 2008 for about 3 weeks. Bearing in mind this is a holiday & we both need a rest how does this sound? Saigon 2 or 3 nights Nha Trang (taking an overnight train or fly? open to suggestions) for a rest for about 5-6 nights and/or Mui Ne if OK its sounds perpetually windy Hoi An 2N Hue 3N Fly to Hanoi Hanoi 2N Sapa 2N Halong Bay 2N cruise or is 1N enough Hanoi 1N Can I skip Danang and Dalat or maybe do as a day trip and also Can ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,253 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by jimsparadise on 25/11/2007 at 15:38

Saigon to Phnom Penh by boat - any suggestions?

Posted by Kachinafrance on 14/11/2007 at 00:48

What is the best way to get to PP from Saigon. Overland or fly? We have been to Vietnam before and visted the Meekong which we loved. Can we organise our own boat trip from Saigon, is there a direct option to PP or do we have to go by road to the Meekong then boat. Any suggestions to do it independently. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,086 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Kachinafrance on 23/11/2007 at 06:34

Booking flight to Phu Quoc

Posted by chrisa77 on 30/10/2007 at 08:28

Hoping someone can help me out after spending a very frustrating 40 mins. on the phone with Vietnam Airlines. I'm trying to book a return flight between HCM and Phu Quoc for Jan.3 - Jan.7. I understand that only Vietnam Airlines offers this flight. I can book it through a few 3rd-party websites (asia.com, expedia.com, etc.) but they're charging triple the price of what I've been hearing it should cost ($70.) On the Vietnam Airlines site, which offers the more reasonable fare, it says to ph ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,466 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by chrisa77 on 21/11/2007 at 23:39

"waiting list" at ivivu

Posted by hillsh on 17/11/2007 at 22:21

I am booking flights to Phu Quoc in February. My reply from ivivu has us booked at one price but we are on a "waiting list" for those flights. However on the same reply there is a confirmed booking for the same flights, but for $100 more (there are 5 of us). Has anyone run across this before? Should we take the confirmed flights and forget about the "waiting list"? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,586 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by chrisa77 on 21/11/2007 at 23:31

Travel South to North

Posted by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 05:56

Hi TF'ers... Below is my itinerary for Vietnam next March (also doing Laos & Cambodia). I am flying Vietnam internally (HCM - Da Nang - Hanoi economy). I can book HCM - Da Nang flight online with Pacific Airlines (AU$45). Can I easily book Hue - Hanoi flight whilst at HCM or Hoi An with Vietnam Airlines, and how much? Also - I know I'm on the tourist trail - but whats the itinerary look like? Night 0 - Land HCM Day 1-2 HCM Day 3 Fly HCM - Da Nang (then taxi/bus to Hoi An) Day 4 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,297 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa2 on 20/11/2007 at 00:33

Travel South to North

Posted by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 05:49

Hi TF'ers... Below is my itinerary for Vietnam next March (also doing Laos & Cambodia). I am flying Vietnam internally (HCM - Da Nang - Hanoi economy). I can book HCM - Da Nang flight online with Pacific Airlines (AU$45). Can I easily book Hue - Hanoi flight whilst at HCM or Hoi An with Vietnam Airlines, and how much? Also - I know I'm on the tourist trail - but whats the itinerary look like? Night 0 - Land HCM Day 1-2 HCM Day 3 Fly HCM - Da Nang (then taxi/bus to Hoi An) Day 4 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,268 times, with no replies.

Central VN Flooding - 2007NOV14 Update

Posted by CatBa2 on 15/11/2007 at 21:35

Flood conditions continue in Quang Nam Province and HOI AN. HUE CITY IS CLEAR OF WATER (I am there as I post) so I recommend Travellers in Nha Trang skip Hoi An and proceed directly to Hue and vice versa. Flying is simple as both Hue and Nha Trang have flights through Da Nang. Since most Travellers are unprepared both physically, and mentally, for flooding I make this suggestion, albeit reluctantly, as Hoi An is a 'must see' place but with 3 feet of water you won't see / enjoy the town ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,953 times, with no replies.

Post Typhoon Conditions - Hoi An and Hue

Posted by CatBa on 15/11/2007 at 03:22

Hoi An, Quang Nam Province (see < http://www.vnn.vn/province/quangnam/ >) continues to be under water, as does much of the water. Many farm animals have been drowned and many more are camped out on the roofs of buildings. Emergency supplies of food have been delivered as much of the rice crop is under water too. Much as I personally hate to suggest this, I think tourists should consider AVOIDING Hoi An at this time. Given that the journey time between Nha Trang and Da Nang is around ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,666 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 15/11/2007 at 03:23

Southern Vietnam - Questions

Posted by khloeee on 13/11/2007 at 18:12

Hello all, I am meeting a friend in Phnom Penh before travelling through to Vietnam. I have five weeks before I have to fly back home from Bangkok. Ideally, I was thinking to spend 3 weeks exploring southern vietnam and then travel to southern thailand to revisit a couple of places before travelling up to bangkok for the flight home, instead of rushing to get up to Hanoi, fly over to Bangkok and back down to the thai islands. However, I cannot find any info on travel from HCMC to Thailan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,430 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/11/2007 at 22:25

how late is too late to book flights and trains in December, January

Posted by soccertaxi on 27/10/2007 at 02:50

Hello, I have received conflicting information about the difficulties of booking in high season Dec/Jan...some say no problems other say book ahead. So here are my specific questions: 1. We are arriving in Hanoi on Dec. 11. Is it realistic to expect to book an overnighter in Halong and a train trip to Sapa (for 4) leaving in the next 4 or so days? Should be book these trips from home? 2. We would like to fly from Hanoi to Hue on Dec. 20...will booking (for 4) when we arrive Dec.11 be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,145 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 11/11/2007 at 18:22

Suits in Hanoi

Posted by ivo_24 on 8/11/2007 at 07:34

Hi there, I am on my second trip to SE Asia. Last November I spent 3 weeks in Thailand, but this time round I am planning on spending 6 weeks spread between Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. I would like to thank travelfish as I have browsed through much of the site and it has all been very helpful. I am spending a few days in Hanoi, and my friend would like to get some suits made. I know from shopping in Bangkok that it is difficult to find a tailor that doesn't make 80s style power suits. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,815 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ionaman on 10/11/2007 at 22:28

Repeated Storms Batter Hoi An & Central VietNam

Posted by CatBa2 on 6/11/2007 at 16:30

Another storm is headed our way in Hoi An this weekend and let me tell you it is no picnic. At this very moment water is a metre (39") deep in the riverside and Ancient Town areas. The rains from up country have filled the river with a muddy soup which backs up the street and sewage drain systems making life a living hell. Water also fills the ground floor of many homes. This comes from a computer powered from a generator and connected via satellite InterNet - there are massive blackouts ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,922 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by mimimon on 10/11/2007 at 21:30

Halong Bay -- Annam Junk and making a 6p flight after Halong -- any feedback?

Posted by jburkland on 8/11/2007 at 03:16

My fiance and I are considering taking a 2 day/1 night cruise on the Annam Junk through Halong Travel (www.halongtravel.com). The cruise is on the more expensive side (about $120/person), but I have heard general warnings even about expensive operators, so I want to check: Anyone have experience on this junk and have thoughts? I have heard great things about Ocean Tours and might go with them ($60/person). However, to meet our 6p flight to Cambodia after the Halong tour, Ocean Tours would ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,955 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 10/11/2007 at 18:46

Great dining in Saigon

Posted by marianwarren on 7/11/2007 at 11:11

Hi everyone While in HCMC I recommend an amazing dining experience. I’ve looked for a mention of it on Travelfish and in various guidebooks but haven’t found anything. On Le Thi Hong Gam, adjacent to the Fine Arts Museum, there is a Vietnamese all you can eat buffet, open from 1100 – 1400 and 1800 – 2100, offering an incredible array of food. Meats, seafood - you name it – dishes are labelled, so you know what you are eating and allows an opportunity to sample dishes you wouldn ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,678 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ionaman on 9/11/2007 at 17:21

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page