Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Post Typhoon Conditions - Hoi An and Hue

Posted by CatBa on 15/11/2007 at 03:22

Hoi An, Quang Nam Province (see < >) continues to be under water, as does much of the water. Many farm animals have been drowned and many more are camped out on the roofs of buildings. Emergency supplies of food have been delivered as much of the rice crop is under water too. Much as I personally hate to suggest this, I think tourists should consider AVOIDING Hoi An at this time. Given that the journey time between Nha Trang and Da Nang is around ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,658 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 15/11/2007 at 03:23

Southern Vietnam - Questions

Posted by khloeee on 13/11/2007 at 18:12

Hello all, I am meeting a friend in Phnom Penh before travelling through to Vietnam. I have five weeks before I have to fly back home from Bangkok. Ideally, I was thinking to spend 3 weeks exploring southern vietnam and then travel to southern thailand to revisit a couple of places before travelling up to bangkok for the flight home, instead of rushing to get up to Hanoi, fly over to Bangkok and back down to the thai islands. However, I cannot find any info on travel from HCMC to Thailan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,418 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 13/11/2007 at 22:25

how late is too late to book flights and trains in December, January

Posted by soccertaxi on 27/10/2007 at 02:50

Hello, I have received conflicting information about the difficulties of booking in high season Dec/Jan...some say no problems other say book ahead. So here are my specific questions: 1. We are arriving in Hanoi on Dec. 11. Is it realistic to expect to book an overnighter in Halong and a train trip to Sapa (for 4) leaving in the next 4 or so days? Should be book these trips from home? 2. We would like to fly from Hanoi to Hue on Dec. 20...will booking (for 4) when we arrive Dec.11 be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,109 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 11/11/2007 at 18:22

Suits in Hanoi

Posted by ivo_24 on 8/11/2007 at 07:34

Hi there, I am on my second trip to SE Asia. Last November I spent 3 weeks in Thailand, but this time round I am planning on spending 6 weeks spread between Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. I would like to thank travelfish as I have browsed through much of the site and it has all been very helpful. I am spending a few days in Hanoi, and my friend would like to get some suits made. I know from shopping in Bangkok that it is difficult to find a tailor that doesn't make 80s style power suits. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,801 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ionaman on 10/11/2007 at 22:28

Repeated Storms Batter Hoi An & Central VietNam

Posted by CatBa2 on 6/11/2007 at 16:30

Another storm is headed our way in Hoi An this weekend and let me tell you it is no picnic. At this very moment water is a metre (39") deep in the riverside and Ancient Town areas. The rains from up country have filled the river with a muddy soup which backs up the street and sewage drain systems making life a living hell. Water also fills the ground floor of many homes. This comes from a computer powered from a generator and connected via satellite InterNet - there are massive blackouts ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,910 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by mimimon on 10/11/2007 at 21:30

Halong Bay -- Annam Junk and making a 6p flight after Halong -- any feedback?

Posted by jburkland on 8/11/2007 at 03:16

My fiance and I are considering taking a 2 day/1 night cruise on the Annam Junk through Halong Travel ( The cruise is on the more expensive side (about $120/person), but I have heard general warnings even about expensive operators, so I want to check: Anyone have experience on this junk and have thoughts? I have heard great things about Ocean Tours and might go with them ($60/person). However, to meet our 6p flight to Cambodia after the Halong tour, Ocean Tours would ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,950 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 10/11/2007 at 18:46

Great dining in Saigon

Posted by marianwarren on 7/11/2007 at 11:11

Hi everyone While in HCMC I recommend an amazing dining experience. I’ve looked for a mention of it on Travelfish and in various guidebooks but haven’t found anything. On Le Thi Hong Gam, adjacent to the Fine Arts Museum, there is a Vietnamese all you can eat buffet, open from 1100 – 1400 and 1800 – 2100, offering an incredible array of food. Meats, seafood - you name it – dishes are labelled, so you know what you are eating and allows an opportunity to sample dishes you wouldn ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,668 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ionaman on 9/11/2007 at 17:21

easy to buy outdoor clothing in Hanoi?

Posted by soccertaxi on 7/11/2007 at 09:05

Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could tell me if it is easy and/or cheap to buy outdoor type clothing (easy dry travel pants, quick dry shirts, etc..) in Hanoi? I have heard about the easy availability of packs etc. but what about this type of clothing? We will be heading up to Sapa and my two teenage girls will be needing some travelwear. Also, where are the good places to find this type of gear? Any places that have good quality daypacks? Thanks for your advi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,906 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by talleyho on 8/11/2007 at 07:10

4 weeks itinerary for Vietnam

Posted by Harry05 on 23/9/2007 at 03:03

In march 2008 I will be travelling in Vietnam for about 4 weeks, after about 3 months Thailand/Laos/Cambodia (maybe good to know if you want to give me some advice). I am a quite experienced traveller but it’s my first time in SE Asia so it’s always good to get some good and actual advice. I don’t care about luxury (and prefer atmosphere above that): a private, clean and basic room (with fan) will be fine for me. Here’s my global itinerary for Vietnam: Entering Vietnam by a tour in t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,233 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 7/11/2007 at 11:09

Con Dao island weather in November?

Posted by NicolasCA on 31/10/2007 at 23:38

I'm looking for weather information for Con Dao Island in November. Is it rainy season or can we expect sunny days? Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,574 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 6/11/2007 at 19:17

Train - Da Nang to Hue - Worth the Hassle?

Posted by ozscott on 30/10/2007 at 15:08

Hi TF'ers... Whilst staying in Central Vietnam I want to ride the daytime train from DaNang (or Hoi An) to Hue - I beleive the scenery is spectacular? Does anyone know if I can just buy a ticket on the day (and how much), board the train, and be on my way - or if I need to pre-book (March '08)? Is this short rail journey worth the effort (time, cost, hassle) - otherwise I'd fly from Da Nang to Hanoi, rather than train then plane (Hue to Hanoi). Thanks for your advice... OzScott ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,070 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 6/11/2007 at 17:18

HCMC to Hanoi

Posted by BaznChaz on 2/11/2007 at 18:30

I have been trying to make a flight booking using Pacific Airlines and everytime I get to the last section of the booking, i.e., enter the credit card details, the page keeps failing. Has anyone else had this problem (recently) and can anyone else recommend alternatives airlines? Thanks in Advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,591 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 6/11/2007 at 17:09

Itinerary Questions

Posted by charlotterussell on 5/11/2007 at 12:32

Hi everyone, Me and 2 members of my family are travelling through Vietnam for a month in Febuary next year - I just have a few questions regarding our itinerary (we are pretty laid back, love nature, not that keen on big cities, love the water and good food but might want to party a bit) 1. We are considering avoiding the craziness of tet by going to Pehom Pen/Ankor wat or travelling from Vientaine to Luang Prabang(thru vang vieng)for 6 days. Does anyone have any opinions on whether Laos o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,917 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 6/11/2007 at 17:00

beach/islands in Vietnam

Posted by ac1979 on 5/11/2007 at 18:42

HI, My husband and I live in Thailand, and we're going to Vietnam over xmas/new years. Flying into Hanoi on 20th Dec, and out from Saigon on Jan 5th. We wanted to go to Phu quoc from Dec 27th to Jan 3rd, but i'm worried we won't find accomodation. I've been trying to pre-book, but no luck.. Any suggestions for the next best beach/island in Vietnam? I'm been to Nha Trang so don't want to go there..It's a bit too much like Pattaya for me. I was in Mui Ne about 4 years ago, and it see ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,544 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by CatBa2 on 6/11/2007 at 16:49

Ha Tien - Hotels/Guest Houses?

Posted by colbycoombs on 4/11/2007 at 11:35

Now that the Cambodia-Vietnam border is open (to visa-holders), I intend to visit Ha Tien. But there's no qualitative assessment of the [I think] six hotels there. Anyone been recently? Any advice? I'd be grateful. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,663 times, with no replies.

Hanoi in Dec - Van+Driver or private tour with guide

Posted by pekyao on 21/10/2007 at 17:17

We are a group of 7 people travelling to Hanoi in mid December for 5 days only. The first two day is our own city tour and perfume pagoda trip. We plan to go Ninh Binh after picking up our member in the airport(arrival 8.45 am) and proceed to Hoa Lu and Tam Coc. In the afternoon we travel to Halong city or HaiPHong if halong is too far for overnight in order to take a half day halong bay visit the next morning and back to Hanoi in the afternoon. Question:1. How far is the driving time from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,573 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by pekyao on 1/11/2007 at 13:36

Posted by vin4564 on 1/11/2007 at 06:40

hi i would like to rent an automatic motorbike in saigon im in district 1 anybody have any info on that ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,689 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/11/2007 at 09:11

Quy Nhon/Song Cau

Posted by NicolasCA on 31/10/2007 at 22:42

I love the article about the road from Quy Nhon to Song Cau. Would anyone know how is the road condition between those 2 towns? How easy is it to rent a motorcycle and bike from Quy Nhon to Song Cau if you have no motorcyle experience before? Also, what would be the weather in November in Quy Nhon? Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,128 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/11/2007 at 08:13

Hanoi Pacific Hotel

Posted by clairewurtz on 22/6/2007 at 17:25

Hi! we are Israela and Claire , we're travelling from Israel and France and for our first time in hanoi we've been to the pacific hotel. we've been before in thailand and Laos and so we try plenty of hotels and guesthouses in those country, we were really glad to get in this new hotel after all the cheap room we've been in. we really appreciate our overstay here, the staff was professional, particulary friendly and very helpful.the hotel is set in right in the middle of the old quarter, near lit ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,269 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by mattocmd on 30/10/2007 at 13:47

Obtaining Vietnam Visa in Bangkok

Posted by zaboo on 17/10/2007 at 22:09

Hi all - anyone have an idea how long it takes to obtain a visa for Vietnam in Bangkok, and how to go about doing it? Also - am looking for recommendations for inexpensive but clean and friendly places to stay in Hanoi. Is it suggested to make reservations beforehand or is it easy to find accommodations on arrival? thanks much! ZaBoo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,759 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by mattocmd on 30/10/2007 at 13:40

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page