Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

New Vietnam sections added

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/9/2007 at 08:27

I've just added the two following "pre-departure" sections for Vietnam: Getting to and from Vietnam Getting around Vietnam They're aimed at readers who are still in the planning part of their trip, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has suggestions on other material that could be included that would be useful. Once I've got all the information in there that you think is useful, I'll expand it to cover the other countries. Thanks in advance! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,584 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by manooe on 21/9/2007 at 13:43

fights to Ko samuai (full moon)

Posted by twiceinyellow on 20/9/2007 at 22:05

Hi Guys Im just planing my trip at the moment and im trying to find out if its possible to fly from Ho Chi Minh to Ko Samuai (not sure of the spelling) for a full moon party? and if so where would i find info on these flights or airline for that matter? Thanks for any help C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,465 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by exacto on 21/9/2007 at 00:08

Flights between Bangkok & Ho Chi Minh

Posted by chrisa77 on 19/9/2007 at 08:34

Hi. We'll be heading to Ho Chi Minh from Bangkok in early January. I can only see two airlines that fly this route: Thai Airways ($400 usd+) and Vietnam Airways (whose website is pretty useless for booking and finding prices.) Am I missing any other airlines that service these cities? Thanks in advance. C. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,301 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/9/2007 at 21:06

Chanh Hung Night Fish Market

Posted by archiebaby on 18/9/2007 at 17:26

Hello, Can anyone help me with details on getting to the fish market & please share your experiences with me. I will be in vietnam early November 07 & wish to go. How do I get there? Thanks for replying. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,984 times, with no replies.

Boston Hotel in Hanoi

Posted by seattle on 15/9/2007 at 18:12

Is the Boston Hotel in Hanoi a good safe choice to use as a day use hotel while waiting to take the train to Sapa. Store bags ect. How far to the train station and other locations for restraunts and site seeing ect.? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,165 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 18/9/2007 at 05:45

Chau Doc to Siem Reap

Posted by zotsam on 14/9/2007 at 00:39

I'll be in Vietnam in November. I have 7-9 days set aside at the beginning of my trip to visit some of the Mekong & also go to Siem Reap. My plan is to take bus from HCMC to Chau Doc (maybe via Can Tho), take a fast boat to Phnom Penh, a bus to Siem Reap & then a flight to Hanoi. How much should I expect to pay for the boat & airfare? Will a fast boat allow me to take a same-day bus to Siem Reap? Is there a better way to combine both (eg. a boat from Can Tho to Chau Doc, then bus to Siem Reap or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,206 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 16/9/2007 at 08:58

Vietnam Railways timetable

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/9/2007 at 08:51

I've just added a PDF download into the Member Centre that contains detailed timetable and fare information for the main trains within the Vietnam rail network. The three page document includes: SE1-6 Hanoi - Saigon - Hanoi TN1-4 Hanoi - Saigon - Hanoi NA1-2 Hanoi - Vinh - Hanoi TH1-2 Hanoi - Thanh Hoa - Hanoi LC1-4, SP1-4 Hanoi - Lao Cai - Hanoi DD3-4 Hanoi - Dong Dang - Hanoi HP1-2 LP5-6 Hanoi - Hai Phong - Hanoi It also includes fare information (in VND). All the information was ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,940 times, with no replies.

Halong Bay

Posted by archiebaby on 13/9/2007 at 16:28

Can anyone suggeat a good junk boat to stay overnight please. I want to depart Hanoi go to Halong Bay stay overnight & return to Hanoi the next afternoon.I will be there int he 1st week of November 07. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,979 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 14/9/2007 at 17:59

vodka train tour

Posted by nocoispe on 27/8/2007 at 14:36

hello i wanted to ask if anyone ever done the vodkatrain vietnam tour ? i'm planing to do it but wanted to get some feedback of it. tia for any reply cheer nocoispe ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,283 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by nocoispe on 13/9/2007 at 21:53

Flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh

Posted by poofie555 on 9/9/2007 at 12:00

Hi I will be travelling to Vietnam (on points) in December. I need to get to Cambodia for a couple of weeks of volunteer work and was wondering if there are relatively cheap flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh? Thanks I appreciate your assistance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,196 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 13/9/2007 at 11:28

Border crossing Xa Mat/Vietnam to Trapeang Phlong.

Posted by telias on 8/9/2007 at 02:45

can i get any information aboutany experiences Trapeang Phlong/Xa Mat crossing Cambodia /Vietnam. Can I get from HCM to Xa Mat. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,403 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by CatBa on 13/9/2007 at 10:27

Cho Tinh (Dating Market/ Love Market) in Sapa?

Posted by VanVan on 11/9/2007 at 23:57

I'm a brand new member, planning to go to VN in Nov/Dec this year and have tons of questions. For now, I'm gathering the info to map up our trip. I'd appreciate any help from anyone. First question: I've heard a market in Sapa called "Cho Tinh," meaning "dating or love market." Is it true that something like that is still existing while Sapa is flooded with tourists? More questions will be coming..... Thanks for a wonderful website. I've read most of the questions and reply from t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,616 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 13/9/2007 at 05:43

Best beach place in northern Vietnam?

Posted by etam on 10/9/2007 at 16:02

Hi! I'm planning to end my 3 week laos/vietnam trip in northern vietnam and fly home from Hanoi. Before I return to Sweden, with its hellish November weather, I would like to stock up on sun and beachlife. Therefore, my questions are: Are there any nice beaches in northern vietnam? Is the climate/weather in norther Vietnam suited for beach life in November? If not, which is the northernmost nice beach place anyone could recommend? I would be very thankful for any answer! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,539 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by etam on 12/9/2007 at 18:19

Recommendation for room with double bed in Hanoi around USD 15?

Posted by Irina on 11/9/2007 at 14:31

I am looking for rooms with aircon & double beds in Hanoi, Old Quarter for 4 pax, clean and safe. Planning a trip there in October 07. Any suggestions? Any comments about Tung Trans Hotel? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,383 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 12/9/2007 at 14:44

Any budget hotel in Ho Chi Minh with a pool?

Posted by johannahon on 2/9/2007 at 18:41

I was wondering if any one new of a hotel (or b&b, or hostel, or selfcatering appartment,....) under 20 Euro (about 25 USD)/day that has a swimming pool? I've already looked around a bit on this site, but there doesn't seem to be one. In Bali that seemed to be a natural thing, considering the heat,but vietnam seems to think otherwise :-D Any help is appreciated :-) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,622 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by johannahon on 10/9/2007 at 03:16

Flying Saigon to Cambodia

Posted by Mericle on 7/9/2007 at 06:14

Hi, We are looking at doing a quick 3 day trip to Cambodia and are flying into ho chi minh city who should we fly with to get there and how much does it normally cost? Thanks Amber ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,032 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/9/2007 at 16:37

nice hotels in hcm

Posted by lawrence on 4/9/2007 at 15:51

can anyone please advise me on a nice hotel which is located nearby to a golf course.....thks. LAWRENCE SINGAPORE. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,227 times, with no replies.

Water Puppets: Now there are two - Ha Noi AND HCMC

Posted by CatBa on 30/8/2007 at 23:33

Both HCMC and Ha Noi have water puppets. In Ha Noi the theatre is located on the northeast corner of Hoan Kiem Lake - the corner where the bridge to the island is. You will find out show times when you go there to book - matinées are often less busy than other shows. In HCMC, the Rong Vang (Golden Dragon) water puppetry troupe is at 55B Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, District 1. The theatre offers two shows every evening, one at 18:30H and the other at 20.00H. Tickets are USD$4 for Forei ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,327 times, with no replies.

Gary Glitter: Hopes for early release, again. Write the PM to stop it!

Posted by CatBa on 30/8/2007 at 23:30

Gary 'The Paedophile' Glitters lawyer, LE Than Khin, said the former rocker could be released from his VietNam jail cell as early as this weekend. Sunday is VietNam's annual Independence Day holiday, when the government traditionally releases prisoners early as part of celebrations. Glitter's lawyer said the former pop star has completed about half of his sentence for a conviction of se xually assaulting two girls, ages 11 and 12. "I am hopeful" ab ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,357 times, with no replies.

Travel Agency Scam in Hoi An

Posted by femdem06 on 29/8/2007 at 05:32

Especially if you are a woman or women traveling alone, please DO NOT use the Hoi An Tourist Office (on the corner of Tran Phu and Le Loi, 78 Le Loi) in Hoi An to book a taxi to the airport. Their driver, Chum (license plate 8565), will pretend to get really pissed off about something and drag you (and throw your stuff) onto the side of a rural road and refuse to take you to your destination unless you pay him extra money. He is a big guy, absolutely insane and a very dangerous, and although t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,776 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 30/8/2007 at 23:27

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page